The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of the HCup 1/4 finals

+10
Rory_Gallagher
Gibson
21st Century Schizoid Man
Artful_Dodger
sugarNspikes
toml
LondonTiger
Dim
RDW
pete (buachaill on eirne)
14 posters

Go down

Team of the HCup 1/4 finals Empty Team of the HCup 1/4 finals

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

This is just one I'm doing not the official one of any site but thought it would be good to get one up and also compare a few players as there were a few players who had good games who played in the same position so we can all argue over them! Hug

More importantly well done to Ulster, Edinburgh and Clermont for getting to the semi's, teams who haven't been there before or at least in the last 10 years in Ulster's case. Some great games on display and some sublime rugby, I'm thinking of Lee Byrnes try and the two outstanding offloads that built up to it, O'Driscolls try coming from one of my favourite set piece attacks using multi dummy runners and forwards and backs. The Toulouse try was pretty special too and can anyone say they weren't hugely impressed by the spirit showed by both Munster and Ulster teams. Good weekend of rugby.

15: Kearney
Scoring two tries, fielding the high ball magnificently, attacked well when he joined the line and was overall a rock. Has been in great form the last couple of weeks and this seems to be continuing. Very few outstanding fullbacks this weekend however.

14: Matanavou
Fantastic individual try showing speed, power and a step. Seemed to do the basics well enough but that try is something I will remember. Nacewa had a good game as did Trimble and Sivivatu showed glimpses of what he can do also.

13: Rougerie
The French giant was instrumental in the French side coming over and getting a win in England. His defence was outstanding covering a lot of ground to make tackles or stop offloads. His great line and then offload also created the try. Cave gets a huge mention here too for such solid defence.

12: Mafi
There were very few good performances from 12s this weekend but Mafi was one of the few creative sparks for Munster in midfield. His defence was fairly solid and he was constantly making half breaks and hard yards in the tackle. Need more runners around him. Fofana and Scott put in solid shifts.

11: Gilroy
Gilroy scored one of the tries of the tournement beating 3 or 4 defenders on his 50+ metre run. He was also solid in defence and I noticed good communication calling numbers left when Ulster were stretched. Zebo was another who had a good game and scored a well worked try.

10: Laidlaw
A really mature performance from Laidlaw making some pressure kicks and doing well trying to control the game when Edinburgh were down to 13 and 1 players. Good range of kicking from hand and passing too. Sexton had a great game I felt too creating tries and Brock James did very well too.

9: Pienaar
Had a great game at 9 even if he did miss touch with two penalties. His kicks from the floor however were stunning at 54metres or so. His defence of the blind side shooting up off the line was very important too and starved Munster have momentum they needed.

8: Denton
I know he played 6 but he is just as good at 8. He had a great game using all his physicallity to get across the gain line or stop Toulouse behind it. Great performance from a hugely improving player. Picamoles was another who had a great game as well as Coughlan.

7: Dusatoir
Even when his team are losing he manages to stem the tide. May rue going for 3 points instead of a scrum when the Scots were short a man or two. His tackling, link play and line running are exemplorary. O'Brien was another who had a good game affecting turnovers and breaking the line once.

6: Ferris
Man of the Match performance. He tackled anything that moved and caused havoc getting off the line and hitting Munster one off carriers well behind the gain line. Did well at ruck time too. For a guy who was supposed to be injured, he did very very well.

5: Hines
Was instrumental in so much Clermont did, be it shifting the ball in contact with sweet hands or getting dirty in the thick of it, he was always up to his tricks. A very strong athlete but a good head on strong shoulders. Borthwick also had a good game as did Brad Thorn and Dan Tuohy.

4: Muller
Hardest one to call between Muller and O'Connell. POC was carrying hard and stole a lineout. He also worked like a demon in the rucks but time and time again Muller came up with big tackles, or counterrucked Munster players off the ball. He carried hard and led his team like a man possessed.

3: Afoa:
Another Ulsterman. He got the upper hand in the early scrums but Du Preez managed to gain parity later on. He was at the heart of the tackling and must have contributed heavily to the amount Ulster made. One great one was just managing to stop Zebo burning away on the outside.

2: Brits
The only Saracen who seemed to have a bit of creativity, while Barritt and co were running straight into tackles, Brits was spinning out of them and stepping off both feet. Strong, quick and most importantly intelligent and willing to do the hard stuff too. Great player.

1: Jenkins
Another really tough one because Healy had a great game and won the official MotM. Jenkins was a ray of hope for Cardiff making a few steals and putting in some good carries. Exceptionally mobile for a prop (like Healy) and needed to make up a lot of ground and did.

There you have it. That's my team. A lot of close calls here IMO and there are a couple of Leinstermen in particular (Sexton and Healy) who could feel hard done by for not getting into the team. This team looks pretty nicely balanced too if I do say so myself!

Jenkins-Brits-Afoa
Muller-Hines
Ferris-Denton-Dusatoir
Pienaar-Laidlaw
Mafi-Rougerie
Gilroy-Kearney-Matanavou

The bench I'd go for (based on this weekend):

Sherry-Healy-Faure-O'Connell-Picamoles-Para-Sexton-Nacewa

Back to top Go down

Team of the HCup 1/4 finals Empty Re: Team of the HCup 1/4 finals

Post by RDW Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Glad you've included Laidlaw but I reckon some of out front row should be in there too for the incredible work they did against a massive toulouse pack!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dim Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Looks fairly good to me although I'm not sure about your inclusion of Matanavou and Brits.
Yes Matanavou scored a good try but he was woeful under the high ball, I'd be tempted by Nacewa or possibly Sivivatu who I felt had a pretty good game for Clermont although did drift in and out of it a bit.
Brits I felt tried too hard and some of his offloads were far too speculative losing a lot of the momentum he'd created. Having said that none of the hookers really stood out that much to me so I can't really suggest an alternative, although possibly Ford simply for the reason suggested above.

Dim

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

Yeah I didn't think there were enough Edinburgh guys in there but didn't know who else to put.
Honestly who would you take out of Jenkins-Brits-Afoa they were all unbelievable!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

I felt Nacewa had a relatively quiet game by his standards. He scored a try granted but wasn't everywhere like he has been before is: against Munster the week before

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

Always a team like this will be down to the eye of he beholder.

I cannot agree with the inclusions of Matanavou (his failing under the high ball was instrumental to Embra's win), Jenkins (good in the loose but was part of a Cardiff scrum that was destroyed) or Brits - for reasons given above.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

Fair enough Tiger, good points.
Who would you put in instead and why?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

I only saw the Edinburgh/Toulouse match in passing, so my decison making will be tempered by this. Also Edinburgh's was a team performance without standout individual performances. Laidlaw was very good, but away from home I felt Brock James was better.

My team:

Healey
Ford
Zirakashvilli
Muller
Hines
Ferris
SOB
Talei
Piennaar
James
Gilroy
Mafi
Rougerie
Nacewa
Kearney

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm

Not arguing with Kearney cos I didnt get to see the game, but Terblanche was superb. At one stage he read where Rog was kicking to space, got right across and a half volley scuff on it. Good give for gilroy, tackle on coughlan and safe under high ball. Great signing

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm

Gethin Jenkins was impressive as usual in the loose, but he really isn't good enough at his main job ie scrummaging. Blues struggled big time and it wasn't just down to Andrews. As a senior player Jenkins should take some of the blame.

I don't think he can be considered if he's not doing the basics.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm

I agree with the above - Jenkins conceded several penalties in the scrum against Mike Ross - wouldnt make my 15, I'd go for Faure.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

Yeah Terblance was good but Kearney really was something else, if you saw him you'd understand why I didn't even mention Terblanche.

Good calls there on Zirakhvilli and Healy, not sure I'd go Ford though I suppose weren't many others. I guess I just thought Brits was pretty good.

Why Talei?

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

Visser was very dangerous for Edinburgh and kept the Toulouse backs very quiet in the 2nd half

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

Visser was but can you really deny Gilroy one of the best displays on the pitch from a back

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

Good team Pete. Jenkins a glaring inclusion though. Ross man-shamed him with Thorn at his back. Healy must listen to V2 posters because he just gets stronger. Id change a few others as well... but it is fairly well represented. OK

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

No Pete and a great try too - Fatty Jacobsen was great up front for Embra too along with Gilchrist and Cox at 4/5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm

Not on about individual performances here, but I thought, that given all factors - Edinburgh's was the most impressive.

Just delighted for them and Scottish rugby. Ulster up there with them.

We expect it from Leinster & ASM.

Id have Cave on that side also. Or at least in the 23. He was immense.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

Gibson wrote:Not on about individual performances here, but I thought, that given all factors - Edinburgh's was the most impressive.

+1

Was so hard leaving Cave out of the side I gotta say! He was unreal.

Can't really give it to Jacobsen I don't think when he got sin binned for something so silly. Maybe the ref was being a bit of a tool but it happened either way.

Do people think the selection of Hines and Muller is a good one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

Gibson wrote:Not on about individual performances here, but I thought, that given all factors - Edinburgh's was the most impressive.

Wow, this must be a special day! Gibson rates an Ulster centre thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:33 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Gibson rates an Ulster centre. Can you see how ironic that statement is Rory? Cool

Ah Paddy played well too, if thats what you mean. They all did.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

Gibson wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Gibson rates an Ulster centre. Can you see how ironic that statement is Rory? Cool

Ah Paddy played well too, if thats what you mean. They all did.

Just highlighted that statement for those that don't get it.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

Pete, as you say everyone will have their own take on such a selection and yours isn't bad at all.

For me I would have Nacewa at 14, Sexton at 10, Healy at 1 and the rest from Ulster.

But then I'm totally and utterly biased guinness
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

I shall rephrase - Gibson rates a pro era Ulster centre. Whistle

There. thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

Are there any Saracens or Toulouse fans out there that feel there lack of representation is unfair (or fair)? It was a bad day for both really?

Any other players we haven't mentioned who did well?

Must say I was very impressed with a few others namely Brock James (Clermont), Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster) and Zebo (Munster). Felt the likes of Dan parks, Richard Wigglesworth and Murray were very underwhelming.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

Conor Murray is very over rated. Can't believe he was starting scrum half this year ahead of Reddan who is in the form of his life.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

From planetrugby.co.uk, their team of the week:

Team of the Quarter-Finals

15 Rob Kearney (Leinster) - It was apparent in the Six Nations that the full-back had rediscovered top form and he has followed that international form up on the provincial stage. Two tries and as his usual consistency both under the high ball and in attack sees him claim our first jersey.

14 Sitiveni Sivivatu (Clermont) - Mentions for Toulouse's Timoci Matanavou and Leinster's Isa Nacewa for their try-scoring performances but we've gone for the man who made the move north in the off-season, Sivivatu. The former Chiefs man had room to move on Sunday and caused many problems for Saracens alongside Lee Byrne. A mention for Lee Jones for his great break and two huge tackles.

13 Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster) - Aurélien Rougerie was outstanding for Clermont against Saracens as he combined well with the aforementioned Sivivatu on numerous occasions for the French side. However in the second week of his return to top flight rugby, it looked like BOD had never been away. Strong in defence with a try and an assist to go in the locker, O'Driscoll not only lifted Gordon D'Arcy's showing but was individually excellent in Dublin.

12 Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster) - If we could have put in two 13s we would have. The jersey subsequently goes to D'Arcy who, like Edinburgh inside centre Matt Scott, was impressive.

11 Craig Gilroy (Ulster) - Many neutral spectators would have been shouting "pass it" at their television screen when Gilroy set off for his eventual score. But he decided to back himself and ultimately made it to the whitewash for the most vital try in his young career.

10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh) - Now this was tough. Jonathan Sexton and Brock James were both superb for Leinster and Clermont respectively but for his impact on proceedings at Murrayfield, Laidlaw gets the nod for creating their first try for Mike Blair and kicking well.

9 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster) - The sign of the week in the crowd was "You've been Ruan-ed". Munster were as Pienaar was cool, calm and deadly from the tee. He rarely looked tired.

8 Netani Talei (Edinburgh) - A round of applause for the Edinburgh back-row of David Denton, Ross Rennie and Talei but with a Clermont and Ulster star duo doing their bit in Watford and Dublin, only one makes our cut. That man is Talei, who's having a great year.

7 Julien Bonnaire (Clermont) - Sean O'Brien seemed back to his destructive carrying self on Saturday as he ran well for Leinster. However, Bonnaire was one of the key cogs for Clermont - along with Rougerie - and sneaks in. He wanted international silverware in his last Test season but it could turn out to be a Heineken Cup trophy that he gets his hands on. Watch his combination with Gerhard Vosloo when the South African returns for the semis.

6 Stephen Ferris (Ulster) - Those who haven't seen the "Stephen Ferris - Superman" logo printed on T-Shirts worn by Ravenhill fans will now understand that it warrants such a marketing idea. Ferris has been immense not only for Ulster but also Ireland in the recent World Cup and played a full 80 minutes despite being a major doubt after coming off injured against Aironi in the PRO12 the previous week. Ferris is so important to Ulster and him featuring would have had an impact on the morale of the away team and also the opposing Munster players. He has earned his probable rest against Connacht this coming weekend.

5 Nathan Hines (Clermont) - Scotland lock Hines was his abrasive best at Vicarage Road and had a big hand in setting up Lee Byrne's try. Mentions for Brad Thorn and Dan Tuohy.

4 Johann Muller (Ulster) - The 2011/12 Heineken Cup top line-out taker led from the front and again showed intelligence that allowed Ulster to hold onto their lead. He was a calming influence for Ulster and admitted after the win that they had learned from last year's exit.

3 David Zirakashvili (Clermont) - Much criticism was leveled at Ireland prop Mike Ross during the recent Six Nations, but with the power of Brad Thorn behind him, the tighthead had a thoroughly enjoying afternoon against Cardiff Blues. But for the speed and strength the Georgian showed on Sunday, we could not leave him out. The 28-year-old also had a good shift in the scrum against Rhys Gill as les Jaunards progressed with relative ease.

2 Benjamin Kayser (Clermont) - It was a bruising ball-carrying performance from the former Leicester hooker at Vicarage Road as the collective Clermont machine proved unstoppable for Saracens. The English found no way through Kayser and the yellow and white wall.

1 Cian Healy (Leinster) - Man of the match and rightly so in Dublin as Healy is in a long list of excellent loosehead props in world rugby today. Guys like Coenie Oosthuizen, Dean Greyling and Sona Taumalolo are making waves in the southern hemisphere while Gethin Jenkins remains the likely starter in Australia for the Lions next year. But on Saturday, Healy was again destructive in the loose and made life difficult for Scott Andrews. A top showing.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:From planetrugby.co.uk, their team of the week:

Team of the Quarter-Finals

15 Rob Kearney (Leinster) - It was apparent in the Six Nations that the full-back had rediscovered top form and he has followed that international form up on the provincial stage. Two tries and as his usual consistency both under the high ball and in attack sees him claim our first jersey.

14 Sitiveni Sivivatu (Clermont) - Mentions for Toulouse's Timoci Matanavou and Leinster's Isa Nacewa for their try-scoring performances but we've gone for the man who made the move north in the off-season, Sivivatu. The former Chiefs man had room to move on Sunday and caused many problems for Saracens alongside Lee Byrne. A mention for Lee Jones for his great break and two huge tackles.

13 Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster) - Aurélien Rougerie was outstanding for Clermont against Saracens as he combined well with the aforementioned Sivivatu on numerous occasions for the French side. However in the second week of his return to top flight rugby, it looked like BOD had never been away. Strong in defence with a try and an assist to go in the locker, O'Driscoll not only lifted Gordon D'Arcy's showing but was individually excellent in Dublin.

12 Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster) - If we could have put in two 13s we would have. The jersey subsequently goes to D'Arcy who, like Edinburgh inside centre Matt Scott, was impressive.

11 Craig Gilroy (Ulster) - Many neutral spectators would have been shouting "pass it" at their television screen when Gilroy set off for his eventual score. But he decided to back himself and ultimately made it to the whitewash for the most vital try in his young career.

10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh) - Now this was tough. Jonathan Sexton and Brock James were both superb for Leinster and Clermont respectively but for his impact on proceedings at Murrayfield, Laidlaw gets the nod for creating their first try for Mike Blair and kicking well.

9 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster) - The sign of the week in the crowd was "You've been Ruan-ed". Munster were as Pienaar was cool, calm and deadly from the tee. He rarely looked tired.

8 Netani Talei (Edinburgh) - A round of applause for the Edinburgh back-row of David Denton, Ross Rennie and Talei but with a Clermont and Ulster star duo doing their bit in Watford and Dublin, only one makes our cut. That man is Talei, who's having a great year.

7 Julien Bonnaire (Clermont) - Sean O'Brien seemed back to his destructive carrying self on Saturday as he ran well for Leinster. However, Bonnaire was one of the key cogs for Clermont - along with Rougerie - and sneaks in. He wanted international silverware in his last Test season but it could turn out to be a Heineken Cup trophy that he gets his hands on. Watch his combination with Gerhard Vosloo when the South African returns for the semis.

6 Stephen Ferris (Ulster) - Those who haven't seen the "Stephen Ferris - Superman" logo printed on T-Shirts worn by Ravenhill fans will now understand that it warrants such a marketing idea. Ferris has been immense not only for Ulster but also Ireland in the recent World Cup and played a full 80 minutes despite being a major doubt after coming off injured against Aironi in the PRO12 the previous week. Ferris is so important to Ulster and him featuring would have had an impact on the morale of the away team and also the opposing Munster players. He has earned his probable rest against Connacht this coming weekend.

5 Nathan Hines (Clermont) - Scotland lock Hines was his abrasive best at Vicarage Road and had a big hand in setting up Lee Byrne's try. Mentions for Brad Thorn and Dan Tuohy.

4 Johann Muller (Ulster) - The 2011/12 Heineken Cup top line-out taker led from the front and again showed intelligence that allowed Ulster to hold onto their lead. He was a calming influence for Ulster and admitted after the win that they had learned from last year's exit.

3 David Zirakashvili (Clermont) - Much criticism was leveled at Ireland prop Mike Ross during the recent Six Nations, but with the power of Brad Thorn behind him, the tighthead had a thoroughly enjoying afternoon against Cardiff Blues. But for the speed and strength the Georgian showed on Sunday, we could not leave him out. The 28-year-old also had a good shift in the scrum against Rhys Gill as les Jaunards progressed with relative ease.

2 Benjamin Kayser (Clermont) - It was a bruising ball-carrying performance from the former Leicester hooker at Vicarage Road as the collective Clermont machine proved unstoppable for Saracens. The English found no way through Kayser and the yellow and white wall.

1 Cian Healy (Leinster) - Man of the match and rightly so in Dublin as Healy is in a long list of excellent loosehead props in world rugby today. Guys like Coenie Oosthuizen, Dean Greyling and Sona Taumalolo are making waves in the southern hemisphere while Gethin Jenkins remains the likely starter in Australia for the Lions next year. But on Saturday, Healy was again destructive in the loose and made life difficult for Scott Andrews. A top showing.

Think theres too many Leinster players there tbh. BOD and Darcy were good but i wouldnt have said amazing. I would have went with Rougerie and either Mafi or Scott. I'd be tempted to put Coughlan in at 8 as well

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

Thats a great team As. I watched the Leinster game again and yes, BOD is fast getting back to his best. Rougerie was also exceptional. Sexton was imperious on Sat, but Laidlaw did it v a Super Power. Fully deserves his spot.

Dunno about Darcy but BOD brings out the best in him. He was back to his hole-punching, leg-driving best. I am sure there will be howls of derision from some quarters on that one. Hines and Ferris - no comment necessary. Literally huge for their sides.

As for the rest, its fairly spot on, in calm retrospect.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down