The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Breed

+3
Wooffie
socal1976
kaeru
7 posters

Go down

The New Breed Empty The New Breed

Post by kaeru Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:26 pm

I'm really excited about the young Canadian; Milos Raonic. I think he has a bright future if he keeps developing. Any comments about young guns who you think will breakthrough in the not too distant future?

kaeru

Back to top Go down

The New Breed Empty Re: The New Breed

Post by socal1976 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

Raonic is definetly there I think he has the best talent of all the youngsters, young Ryan Harrison also has a real nice core to his game of a good serve and forehand along with good movement. Tomic is also very skilled. The one who has the most talent out of all of them is Gulbis who at 21 seems not to care too much about his game. His father is a multimillionaire businessman and that seems to make him lacking in desire a little bit. Nobody Rafa and Nole included has the talent of young Gulbis. He is fast, has a serve that can touch the 140s but he just doesn't have the fitness and consistency or desire to dig deep enough. Maybe it is a shame that his father has more money than god and that his mother is a famous actress.
Dimitrov the bulgarian and former world #1 junior is also highly touted but hasn't made much of splash.

In all the generation of 18-22 currently out there has not been as impressive as the Nadal, Nole, Murray generation that preceded them.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu 31 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm

One of our friends posts from Canada and she says that everyone is very excited about him (although she says its not her favourite brand of tennis Wink ). I have to say that I've only seen about a half hour of him play and that was against Sweeting in IW, so I can't really comment.

I was surprised to see him play more on the baseline than I expected as he's billed as this serve monster ... but I have to say what I thought watching him ... Pete Sampras.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:11 pm

kaeru wrote:I'm really excited about the young Canadian; Milos Raonic. I think he has a bright future if he keeps developing. Any comments about young guns who you think will breakthrough in the not too distant future?

Dolgopolov is certainly one for the future thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 01 Apr 2011, 6:45 am

Wooffie I see him more as a Safin than a Sampras. He probably has a bigger serve than Safin but doesn't have the same flawless, easy power off of both wings. Does have a monster forehand as well. He does come into the net quite a bit though. Serve and volley as a mainstay strategy is pretty much dead for various reasons on the tour. At least for the time being, outside of Stepanek and Lopez I can't think of any other S and V ers in the top 50.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 01 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

Cant make much of a comment about Raonic as I have only seen very few snippets of his game.. if however, he is a player of the "Sampras" ilk as has been suggested, i.e. heavily reliant on serve then I can say he isn´t my cup of tea (Sampras bored the pants off me) I much preferred Safin.
Dogopolov I find interesting ... he has a very different style of game which is refreshing. He is still a little raw but I think given a few more matches with the top boys he will emerge as a very useful player. Tomic... ?? I can see him doing a lot of damage in the early rounds of any tournament.. but hardly a GS winner in my book. From what I have seen I put my money on Ryan Harrison at this stage.. USA might well have a star in the making with that one (and I believe he has a younger brother that is tipped to top him )

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 01 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

sportslover wrote:
kaeru wrote:I'm really excited about the young Canadian; Milos Raonic. I think he has a bright future if he keeps developing. Any comments about young guns who you think will breakthrough in the not too distant future?

Dolgopolov is certainly one for the future thumbsup

Bogomolov is one for ETERNITY.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Fri 01 Apr 2011, 7:20 pm

Murray is one for the future

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content