The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard Lewis leaving the RFL.

3 posters

Go down

Richard Lewis leaving the RFL. Empty Richard Lewis leaving the RFL.

Post by Luke Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

It has been announced today that Richard Lewis will be leaving his position as executive chairman of the RFL, to take over as chief executive of tennis all England club at Wimbledon, at the end of april, after 10 years.

Lewis who was a former profesional tennis player,has left with the goodwill of the RFL but that's about all.
After the Bradford situation has caused alot of reflecting, alot of club chairmen are criticezing the RFL over what has happened during his time in charge. Eamonn McManus stating 'that for too long the RFL have taken some crowd growth at a few clubs, and tv growth that the game is in good health'
When you think that in the last 2 years, 2 sides went into administration and another nearly bust, he does have a point.
Chairmen, have also attacked the strategy of where RL is going, the hestantcy of actions, the vagueness of the information the public recieve, the lack of success on an international front, etc.
Though none criticize the franchise system that Lewis brought in, (which i personally despise), and nothing was said about the lower leagues problems etc. This came after Neil Hudgell sent a letter that the game was bankruptand and needed fundamental and corrective action immediatly.

So goodbye Richard Lewis, you did some good, and alot i disagree with. But one thing's for sure, it was very rarely dull.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Richard Lewis leaving the RFL. Empty Re: Richard Lewis leaving the RFL.

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 am

Richard Lewes has done a fantastic job for Rugby League in the UK without a doubt.I hope who ever takes over from him is not on the payroll of any UK Rugby League club at the moment.
Richard Lewes was a breath of fresh air when he first came into Rugby League. we need a similar person who carries no Rugby League baggage next.
I fear what will happen is that a Person who is already involved in our game we get the position, and we will not get the thinking outside the box required to push the game in the UK forward even more and this person will fail to see the benifits of International Rugby League and be only interested in the club game at the top level.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:21 pm

As long as whoever comes in doesn't think that continuing to bail out bankrupt SL clubs is the answer, the sport has little enough money anyway, without throwing it at sinking ships.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm

ReallyReal wrote:As long as whoever comes in doesn't think that continuing to bail out bankrupt SL clubs is the answer, the sport has little enough money anyway, without throwing it at sinking ships.
What Rugby League clubs and other team sports in the UK don't realise is the first rule of business is "you can't have more money going out than coming in"

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down