The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers?

+13
Cryptoyourisan
justified sinner
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
cp10
formerly known as Sam
gowales
ScarletSpiderman
yappysnap
George Carlin
Scot Abroad
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
17 posters

Go down

Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers? Empty Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers?

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

Has been confirmed on the Edinburgh website that Mike Blair is to leave the club at the end of the season.

He has been a fantastic player for Edinburgh and I know all the fans will be sad to see him go. It is a shame he is leaving just now, as the club is finally looking to be acheiving its potential on and off the pitch. I though the HK run and new signings would maybe persuade him to stay, but I suspect his decision was made a while ago.

Anyone know of any gossip as to where he might be going? Perignan were rumoured to be interested at one point.

On a side note, this now leaves us a bit short of scrum halfs next year! Top level scrum halfs at least.

Brendan Mckibbon to Edinburgh??

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers? Empty Re: Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:44 pm

McKibbin makes sense if he has international ambitions - once Blair, Lawson and Cusiter are retired, he can fight it out with Laidlaw for the 10 jersey.

Perpignan is the only sensible story I've heard so far regarding Mike Blair's destination

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers? Empty Re: Mike Blair to leave Edinburgh - any takers?

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

It's just whether Edinburgh can persuade McKibbin to come to us instead of a high paying French team. He is a highly rated international scrum half after all and we may not fit his ambitions.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

Agreed, the SRU said to McKibben that he'd be in contention for selection if he was playing in the NH. Now that Edinburgh need a scrum half, it's the obvious solution. Although he's been starting a few games for the Tah's, I don't think he's in line for an Aus cap. He has the opportunity to establish himself as the no 1 Scottish 9 for the next 5 years or so. From what I've seen of him in the SuperXV, he'd be a great addition to Edinburgh. Accurate boot on him too. I like having 2 options for penalties and conversions.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm

I'm sold - here's hoping our additional, unexpected 800k or so income from the Semi final will give us the cash to do it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

Shame - he's just starting to get back to his old self.

Perpignon had a good experience with Cusiter (they won the Top 14 with him) so it makes sense that they might be keen. Excellent choice, they're always competitive now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Although I don't think they'd take him he'd be very good for Saracens in the prem.

Other prem teams could be London Irish or Glos (although they now have Cowan).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

I guess the Blues would be looking for a new scrum half with Richie Rees leaving. Maybe the two could just swap clubs?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

Jimmy Cowan could be a bolter. All he's said is that he's most likely going to Europe. He's also got a Scottish name Smile

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

Just found this online, doesn't sound positive:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/mckibbin-scotches-scotland-move-rumours/story-e6frg7o6-1226323259141

Hopefully it is just talk though, to not fall out with his club if he doesn't end up in Europe or something.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

I know I'm living in dreamland here, but can you imagine a team of:

1 - Chunk
2 - Ford
3 - WP Nel
4 - Gilchrist
5 - some grizzled tough son of a gun
6 - Denton
7 - Rennie
8 - Talei
9 - McKibbin
10 - Laidlaw
11 - Visser
12 - Scott
13 - De Luca
14 - Maitland
15 - Tom Brown

16 - Yapp (rumoured)
17 - Kelly
18 - Cross
19 - Cox
20 - Basilaia
21 - Leck
22 - Tonks
23 - Jones

Great first team, significant impact on bench - would be happy with that!

Chances are slim though....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just found this online, doesn't sound positive:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/mckibbin-scotches-scotland-move-rumours/story-e6frg7o6-1226323259141

Hopefully it is just talk though, to not fall out with his club if he doesn't end up in Europe or something.

Perfectly acceptable for a player to make those comments. His own career is his first priority and he doesn’t want to jeopardise anything should a move not materialise. The SRU will have spoken to him about a move north and I think he’s commenting on the fact that it’s not a done deal, that he’s been presented with the option and the door is open to play for Scotland. He does say that he doesn’t know where his future lies so that doesn’t rule anything out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing in Europe next season.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

Seems an odd move to me what with Edinburgh progressing well and him working so well with Laidlaw at 10. Lawson has been released by Gloucester if Edinburgh want a Scottish replacement.

I don't think there are many AP teams on the look out for a scrum half at the minute. Most have two or three good options.

Bath - Classens and Cook
Exeter - Barrett, Thomas and Junior
Leicester - Youngs, Harrison and Young
Glaws - Cowan, Lewis and Robson
LI - TOL and Allinson
Sale - Peel and Cliff
Wasps - Simpson, Berry and the other one
Sarries - Wigglesworth, de Kock and Spencer
Quinns - Care and Dickson
Saints - Dickson and Roberts
Worcester - Perry, Arr and Hodgson

I've not included Newcastle as they are likely to get relegated and the team coming up to replace them is hardly likely to making bids for former Lions players. Of that lot, Exeter and Sarries (if the rumours of them shedding Wigglesworth are true) are pretty much the only options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

I really don't think Blair's style is well suited for the AP, and think it would be a mistake for him to go there.

As for your McKibbin comments Scot Abroad, I agree that I think he'll end up in Europe, just think it might be a step too far to get him to come to Edinburgh.

It would definitely sit better in Scottish fans minds though if he was playing in the country he was representing internationally IMO

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:47 pm

Actually, thinking again (sorry for the numerous posts on this topic!) Mike Blair is one of the highest paid players in the squad, therefore him leaving will free up a significant salary which, when combined with the HK winnings, would surely allow us to compete financially for a player of this caliber.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Seems an odd move to me what with Edinburgh progressing well and him working so well with Laidlaw at 10. Lawson has been released by Gloucester if Edinburgh want a Scottish replacement.

I don't think there are many AP teams on the look out for a scrum half at the minute. Most have two or three good options.

Bath - Classens and Cook
Exeter - Barrett, Thomas and Junior
Leicester - Youngs, Harrison and Young
Glaws - Cowan, Lewis and Robson
LI - TOL and Allinson
Sale - Peel and Cliff
Wasps - Simpson, Berry and the other one
Sarries - Wigglesworth, de Kock and Spencer
Quinns - Care and Dickson
Saints - Dickson and Roberts
Worcester - Perry, Arr and Hodgson

I've not included Newcastle as they are likely to get relegated and the team coming up to replace them is hardly likely to making bids for former Lions players. Of that lot, Exeter and Sarries (if the rumours of them shedding Wigglesworth are true) are pretty much the only options.
Sam, did you mean Exe? We've also got Pat Phibbs and last year's U18 scrumhalf, James Lightfoot-Brown is on a development contract Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

Sam, did you mean Exe? We've also got Pat Phibbs and last year's U18 scrumhalf, James Lightfoot-Brown is on a development contract

Was thinking you might let a couple go and bring in Blair plus one of your young guns as replacements. Would give you experienced guidance and a play making 9 option which would complement the more 7s running option of Barrett. Might inject more creation into that Chiefs backline.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Sam, did you mean Exe? We've also got Pat Phibbs and last year's U18 scrumhalf, James Lightfoot-Brown is on a development contract

Was thinking you might let a couple go and bring in Blair plus one of your young guns as replacements. Would give you experienced guidance and a play making 9 option which would complement the more 7s running option of Barrett. Might inject more creation into that Chiefs backline.
I think that aside from Phibbs they're all still under contract. You've not liked our creativity recently then?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Generally speaking Exeter's attack is more brutal efficiency than creative master pieces but as a Tigers fan I see nothing wrong with that. The sniping runs of your 9s and carefully applied and certainly not over used offloading game is also a hand tactic your unit of a centre brings to the party. It's good but it could do with a little more sparkle if Exeter are going to be a top 4 team next season (and I don't see why they shouldn't be aiming for that).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Actually, thinking again (sorry for the numerous posts on this topic!) Mike Blair is one of the highest paid players in the squad, therefore him leaving will free up a significant salary which, when combined with the HK winnings, would surely allow us to compete financially for a player of this caliber.

A lot of cash will be freed up with Godman and Webster leaving. Both will be on decent to high salary's as they're both former internationals.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

Blair has been off form for the last 3 seasons and this year bang, back on form for Embra and Scotland (one of the very few!). Loyal player over the last 10 years so he deserves a good contract to see out his playing time- Perpignan would be an excellent move for him. Well played Mike Blair clap

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

cp10 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Actually, thinking again (sorry for the numerous posts on this topic!) Mike Blair is one of the highest paid players in the squad, therefore him leaving will free up a significant salary which, when combined with the HK winnings, would surely allow us to compete financially for a player of this caliber.

A lot of cash will be freed up with Godman and Webster leaving. Both will be on decent to high salary's as they're both former internationals.

Another good point. At the time that they would have signed their contracts they were seasoned Internationalists. Edinburgh should be rolling in money just now then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

10 years is a long time to stay with one club. At 30 I’d say Blair is looking for more of a retirement package than a new challenge. He’s see the players moving to France and the money they’re on and fancies some of that for himself. A rugby career doesn’t last forever so it’s understandable that he wants the most out of it as possible. I’m sure there are a few clubs out there looking at him and I don’t think he’ll struggle to find one.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

At his best a class act- and he is at his best right now

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

I wish him well, he's been a great servant and this season has really rediscovered his form under the new regime. Pitty he's leaving, but I completely understand.

Big chance now for Leck. He's a decent passer of the ball, and I'm sure he'll get more involved next season. In terms of a starting 9, I suspect Laidlaw will move there and Leonard will become the first choice 10 next season. From a Scotland perspective, that's awesome in terms of progressing young players. From an Edinburgh perspective I think reinforcements may be needed to maintain competitiveness at European level.

The above suggestion of McKibbin sounds like sense, I haven't seen much of him but he's getting decent press. The other option is for Edinburgh to get Rory Lawson back from Glaws if they can.

As for where Blair may end up, I think France is clearly the obvious choice. As Sam notes above, there isn't really a particularly obvious candidate in the AP for his services, and giving it's likely he'll be playing internationals next season, and will demand a big salary, I can't see them being interested. Perpignan makes much sense.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

I've been quite impressed by Leck from what I've seen, but service from ruck is slow, bit like Cuss and doesn't make enough sniping runs/breaks for my liking. Might come though Bradley is a scrummy so should be able to coach that.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

Anyone know where Lawson is going to?

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:32 am

Not sure actually, Crypto.

Redpath has recruited well, actually - that's Martyn Thomas, Billy Twelvetrees, Ben Morgan and Sione Kalamafoni and Huia Edmonds. If he can get Cowan, then that will be replacements of at least the same strength as the people outgoing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

The only clue I heard about Lawson was from the Scotsman article that reported Perpignan's interest in Blair.

Apparently as Perpignan have narrowed their list of potential scrum-half signings to Blair and a couple others, they're now no longer interested in Lawson.

So, we don't know where Lawson's going, but we do have an idea where he won't be going!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:39 am

I wouldn't be disappointed if he came to Edinburgh but I don't really want him to either!

He's a great competitor but his style doesn't really suite our way of playing, plus he's 32 so getting on a bit.

I reckon he'll go to another AP club.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Lawson might find a deal with whoever comes up otherwise as seen above there's not a lot of demand for him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

As you'll see in another thread, Richie Rees has signed so no McKibbin then Sad

https://www.606v2.com/t27582-edinburgh-pick-up-cardiff-pair#1129437

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

Would have thought that there's still a chance that McKibbin will appear in Europe if he is interested in competing for the Scotland 9 jersey

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

Would have thought that there's still a chance that McKibbin will appear in Europe if he is interested in competing for the Scotland 9 jersey

Maybe not straight away if he's breaking into a Super 15 team, he might want to develop further in the SH before coming up north to fullfill his international ambitions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Would have thought that there's still a chance that McKibbin will appear in Europe if he is interested in competing for the Scotland 9 jersey

Doesn't sound like he's bonkers keen:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/nsw-waratahs-halfback-brendan-mckibbin-denies-rumour-he-is-returning-to-scotland-at-the-end-of-the-year/story-e6frf4qu-1226323497651
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

Good spot GC. Some of the comments on that article even put him in the green and gold by the end of the year, which is a bit gutting. Black and Pygos it is then Sad

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

Was it not for the whole not Irish qualified thing Munster might be a good location for him.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I guess the Blues would be looking for a new scrum half with Richie Rees leaving. Maybe the two could just swap clubs?

I am half right so far. Just waiting for Blair to annouce he is joining the Blues.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Not sure why he'd make such a massive step down at this stage in his career.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 13 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Top seeded HC club next season FES, Ed can't boast that.

A few key signings and the Blues are looking ok again, for me Blair would be an excellent signing, but in reality we can't afford him and I'd rather we sort out other issues before signing more players!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

I was genuinely joking.

Look at the Rabo12, Edinburgh, despite the HC QF success, are in no position to throw rocks at anyone.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:25 am

Oops, has he cocked it up - Blair move in this morning's Hootsmon:

Perpignan cool on Blair deal

Perpignan are stalling on signing the Scotland scrum-half, Mike Blair, from Edinburgh.

They had looked certain to secure his services after he revealed he is quitting his home-town club at the end of the season but they now appear to be targeting a No.9 who is also a frontline goal kicker, with South African Dewalt Duvenage and Ben Lucas of Australia in their sights.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down