The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

+8
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
HappierSurreyFan
chichestersurryfan
Tibor
Carrotdude
Shelsey93
guildfordbat
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Where is JimBobGooner when you need him?

Anyway, Surrey have named a 13 man squad for their trip to Lord's - same as last time out apart from Davies replacing Burns behind the stumps.

Lovely morning here now although forecast is not encouraging.

I'll be back this afternoon.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

Bad light.... I imagine that's it. Match in the balance. But certainly the last two partnerships have given us some hope.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Middlesex v Surrey Match Thread

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

I sneaked a peak at the radio again... 1st bowl.. Maynard dropped!!! - then off for bad light.... incredible day! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:17 pm

Don't go anywhere near the radio. Twice I tuned in and each time we lost a wicket first ball.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

have no fear, Corporal... won't be listening tomorrow morning as I have another engagement! (hopefully mind on other things!)

What a day! - whatever the outcome, full praise to both teams and to Surrey for coming back so strongly... I lost a bit of interest earlier when I saw that Middx were 50 odd for 2.... Superb performance! (oh and sorry for wandering off topic, not bad from the Hammers too!)

Anyway who said that County Cricket was dull Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

Chichester - you're not a vicar, are you?

I'm a fair bit more confident than you and the Corporal. Hyphen and Maynard are not only decent batsmen but quick scoring ones as well. Jordan and Lewis can both giive it a heave whilst Batty and even Linley won't surrender their wicket without a fight.

This time tomorrow, Rodney, we'll be top of the table ....

Meanwhile, Woking promoted to the Conference! Bubbly

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

[quote="
Meanwhile, Woking promoted to the Conference! Bubbly [/quote]

Congratulations on Woking's promotion, Guildford Bat! - after difficult times... good to seem them on the up... totally off topic... as well as supporting the Hammers, I also support the Rocks.. aka Bognor Regis... another frustrating season for them on the cards... lilkely to just miss out on promotion for the second season running from the Rymans South league...

Back on topic, well sort of.... In answer to your question, no I am not a vicar but I will be at a place where vicars go to Cool

Hamiton-Brown... superb knock by all accounts! still far from certain for tomorrow... lose an early wicket and all that and suddenly 46 seems a long way off, conversely a couple of quick boundaries and we are down to the 30's...I suppose its just having seen Middx lose their last 8 weeks for 50 odd... that is making me feel cautious!

however, well done Surrey today! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

It would be fitting if Hyphen could see us home, as that would be two matches in a row that he had put in a match winning batting performance. Not that long ago some were saying Adams was crazy to bring a completely unproven Hyphen back from Sussex to captain Surrey. But I am getting much too far ahead of myself.... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

Chichester - I'll leave it to your judgment whether it's appropriate to say a prayer for Surrey in the morning.

Yes, the Cards - Woking - have done really well this season, thanks. Better luck to the Rocks next.

Hyphen's doing fantastically - more like that and international honours can't be far away.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

Hamilton-Brown has always impressed me as a cricketer (particularly one-day cricketer) from when he was at Sussex. He often batted in the top three and made some quick runs in a successful team, and has continued that at Surrey, with the burden of captaincy.

A problem might be that he seems to bowl less than he did then, but I think the press treat him unfairly in judging that "he needs to score runs to justify his place in the team" constantly and not including him in the Hales/Stokes/Buttler/Taylor/Bairstow/Borthwick/Briggs group of talented young cricketers.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Sun 15 Apr 2012, 7:23 am

Well I have one day at work without watching the cricket and I miss what appears to be the most entertaining day for a long time. What a good effoet by the bowlers to skittle Middlesex out for 106 hopefully Hyphen and Wine Gums can see us home and not leave a nervous finish for the tail enders. ANyway I'm off to the sunny climes of Edinburgh for a few days but will be watching with interest this morning.

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

Should be closing in on an epic victory this morning. Come on Surrey !

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

''The cat is amongst the pigeons. Now genuinely in the balance.'' - the great Mark Church (regional Hall of Fame candidate Wink ) as Dial M bowls River.

The IceMan had earlier got WineGums lbw.

38 to win. Just 4 wickets. Hyphen still there on 56 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Wicket!

104-7.

Batty out lbw for a duck to Dial M.

''All the momentum has swung Middlesex's way'' - Churchy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

Looks like a thrilling final day at Lord's. Might jettison the IPL to listen to the commentary if another wicket goes down...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

121-7.

20 to win. Lewis adding some momentum ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

Hyphen seems happy taking single off first ball of the over. It's working so far with this partnership....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Lewis rattling along clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

Catastrophe- Hyphen out Sad

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

The Middlesex Hyphen (Roly-Jones) gets the Surrey Hyphen (Hamilton-Brown).

16 to win.

2 wickets left ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

13 to win. The Viscount gets off the mark....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

11 to win. Still 2 wickets left.

The Viscount won't do anything daft ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:46 am

11 to win. The Viscount steals the strike.. Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:49 am

130-9.

Viscount gone!

Enter Dernbach ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

Viscount out. Sad Strongly recommend not taking single off first ball of the next over..... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

NO!!!! They have taken a single.

Dernbach will go for a big hit - very dangerous for both sides!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

Which is exactly what happens Doh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

6 to win!

LBW appeal turned down!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

4 to Dernbach. Shocked Do not take an ugly swipe and get caught at mid on please!!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

5 to win.

Dernbach back on strike ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

Dernbach sees out the over.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm

Lewis takes single off first ball of the over.... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm

Middlesex win by 3 runs... Dernbach caught Yahoo

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

.... then Lewis takes a single and Dernbach is caught next ball!

Middlesex win by 3 runs!

Doh Doh Doh

Last edited by guildfordbat on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh furious furious furious furious

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

How did you buggar that up guys? Wow

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote: Strongly recommend not taking single off first ball of the next over..... Erm
Sad Sad Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
.... So far, we've conceded 18 runs in no balls and wides - that's very poor and could be costly in a low scoring game.
From my end of day one review. That proved more accurate than last night's prediction of victory.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

I've been away for a day or so, unfortunately I listened to the collapse this morning. I am absolutely devastated by that, like more than I thought I ever would be with a Surrey defeat.

What a brilliant game though, superb advert for the County Championship. In the end Surrey pay the price for not being able to finish off the Middlesex tail in the first innings and then the batsmen throwing their wickets away in our run chase - Davies and De Bruyn being the main culprits. I don't blame any of the bowlers, especially Jade, we only needed 4 and going for a boundary was his best option, he'd have only nicked behind eventually. Maybe Lewis should have kept the strike and gone for a boundary himself.

Looking at the positives, last year we were hammered twice by Middlesex and we haven't beaten them for a long long time in the CC so the fact that we should have won and were on top for a lot of the match certainly shows our progress. Also, it appears our captain Hyphen has found some form and discipline over the winter and has started the season well - who'd have thought on a seaming pitch with low scores he's be our best batsman?

The negatives - our tail is pretty pathetic, Batty and Jordan are failing to live up to their all rounder status at the moment. The biggest concern right now is Ramps. He looks completely out of sorts, still. He's been on twitter complaining about the pitch and saying how hard it is and seems more worried about that than his own game which is perhaps why he's looking so poor. I honestly think that right now Roy might be a decent bet instead of him as at least he would play some shots and get some runs before he gets out rather than take 50 balls to get 5.

Our batting needs strengthening, that much is clear from the first two games. I, personally, would drop Jordan in favour of Roy. We don't need the extra bowler, especially if the Brain is going to continue to open the bowling (which I don't agree with btw). Either way, an attack of Linley/Meaker, Lewis, Dernbach, Brain and Batty is enough and we need to get more runs in the side.

To summarise - I'm gutted right now but we are still a work in progress and have done better this season so far than I thought we would.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Also, we can go on about us buggering it up in the run chase but Middlesex fans will be saying the same thing about them yesterday being all out for 106, it wasn't an easy pitch!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

No, no no !!!!

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 15 Apr 2012, 1:31 pm

3 runs Sad Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

I really do think it was lunacy taking single off the first ball of the over if you are well set and scoring freely (Lewis) and if you've got Dernbach at the other end. With four to win a single in any case isn't all that helpful when the chances are that if we win it will be with a boundary from one of the six balls in that over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 15 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

[quote="guildfordbat"]Chichester - I'll leave it to your judgment whether it's appropriate to say a prayer for Surrey in the morning.

Been out and just back in to see what I've missed! Crying or Very sad mad

Just read all the excellent posts above.... absolutely gutted just to miss out but as others have said, compared with last season against Middx we've done well... last season there was a yawning chasm between the 2 teams... same can't be said now... as with these sorts of close finishes... lots of if only's and what if's.... as has been said, the biggest failing was to finish the Middx tail off in the 1st innings...

In answer to Guildford Bat's question, we could start a theological debate as to whether God favours Surrey or Miidx laughing

anyway I don't think my nerves could have stood the tension this morning.. not good in these situations!

Anyway, roll on the next game Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:
In answer to Guildford Bat's question, we could start a theological debate as to whether God favours Surrey or Miidx laughing
I fear Crying or Very sad the answer may be Middlesex, since they play at Lords, in St John's Wood.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:50 pm

Truth is guys,we held our nerve,whilst The Rey bottled it and not for the first time.
Pathetic Whinging from 'The Grizzler' as per usual,'put us in ,so bowled last, and having a moan about a sporting wicket which produced a fine match which flowed back and forth.
Looks like 'The Middle'for the title,and youse Sarf Lundun boys fighting to avoid the drop.
With Straussy,Finny and Morg back well be unstoppable!!!!!!!

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

I don't agree with Adam's 'blaming' the pitch for the defeat but I do think that it must have been a very poor pitch to produce a day 3 of 19(?) wickets and 240 all out as a combined total for both final innings.

I also think that if we bottled it on Sunday (which is fair enough), Middlesex did the same on Saturday after being in a strong position. Your confidence, while very possibly being an attempt to wind up us Surrey boys, I feel is misplaced. Strauss, Finn and Morgan won't play too much and your batting appears to be very brittle, although the bowling is very good. I think we'll both end up pretty close to each other somewhere about half way in the table.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:40 pm

Agree we bottled it on Sunday, combined with reckless approach to exposing the weaker batsmen to most of the strike at the end of the innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

Well from someone who was actually there on all four days,apart from being a bit soft which is understandable at this time of year(it is still April)there was nothing wrong with the pitch .The umpires marked it highly.The cloudy and overcast conditions meant that the ball did swing about quite alot most of the time and combined with batsman'a inability to cope with this, and being unacustomed to the new Dukes ball,scores were below par.Outstanding seam bowling from both sides contributed to the early finish,but blaming The Groundsman serves only to emphasise Adam's misunderstanding of the game.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm

Hmm... not sure Grizzly would have been whingeing about the quality of the wicket if we'd got a few more runs. Think it was the same wicket for both sides coach.

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3