The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs warwickshire match thread

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs warwickshire match thread Empty surrey vs warwickshire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Team Director Chris Adams has named a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Warwickshire starting at Edgbaston on Friday.
Jade Dernbach returns to the squad having recovered from a side strain that has kept him out of action for the past three weeks.
Arun Harinath is included in a Championship squad for the first time this year. Chris Tremlett is unavailable due to injury.
also left out is Matthew Spriegel after numerous chances Erm
The Surrey Squad for the LV=County Championship match against Warwickshire at Edgbaston on Friday 27th July, Saturday,28th July, Sunday 29th July, Monday 30th July:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Arun Harinath
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Jason Roy
Chris Jordan
Stuart Meaker
Murali Kartik
Jade Dernbach
Tim Linley
Jon Lewis
harinath to open with burns i would imagine.
the viscount must start so jordan and dernbach/lewis to miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs warwickshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs warwickshire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 pm

JimBob - quick off the mark with this thread. Well done! Very Happy surrey vs warwickshire match thread 1710857839

Good spot about Spriegel being dropped. Very poor by the Club in not referring to his omission at all in their announcement and leaving us to pick it up.

I actually think Harinath will bat at three with Burns and Ansari continuing to open.

Very tricky to say who'll miss out. I reckon two out of Jordan, Dernbach, Linley and Lewis. My guess is that the duo on the bench will be Linley (hope that's wrong) and Lewis (hope that's right - he's been an unnecessary signing who has only delivered in bowler friendly conditions).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs warwickshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs warwickshire match thread

Post by Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:34 pm

ansari opens?? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm

CF wrote:ansari opens?? Shocked

He's opened in the last two CC matches against Lancs and Notts. Due to bad weather, he only batted once in each match and did ok with scores of 21 and 32 (I think). I saw him in the Lancs game at Guildford - he dug in well there after his opening partner Burns went to the first ball of the innings.

He's also opened for Cambridge University in a few first class matches. I don't believe it's his best position by any means but he's a thinking cricketer and you can rely on him to play it sensibly.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Not knowing my Notts from my Lancs!)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 pm

lol i thought he batted at 7 or 8....6 at a push!

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm

CF wrote:lol i thought he batted at 7 or 8....6 at a push!

CF - yes, understand that.

Ideally I would bat him at 7 and use him in the second spinner role. However, we've already got enough spinners (Kartik and Batty) but not enough batsmen (following the losses of Maynard, Ramps and Hamilton-Brown). That's really why he's now having to bat up the order.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 am

guildfordbat wrote:JimBob - quick off the mark with this thread. Well done! Very Happy surrey vs warwickshire match thread 1710857839

Good spot about Spriegel being dropped. Very poor by the Club in not referring to his omission at all in their announcement and leaving us to pick it up.

I actually think Harinath will bat at three with Burns and Ansari continuing to open.

Very tricky to say who'll miss out. I reckon two out of Jordan, Dernbach, Linley and Lewis. My guess is that the duo on the bench will be Linley (hope that's wrong) and Lewis (hope that's right - he's been an unnecessary signing who has only delivered in bowler friendly conditions).
thank you guildford Very Happy still think that the way adams spoke before the game at guildford that he wants to give harinath a run to the end of the season as opener but maybe you could be right guildford

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 pm

According to the Surrey Ad, Chris Adams won't be at Edgbaston. He's on holiday in Portugal. Shocked

A break approved by the Club after a ''traumatic'' six weeks, according to Chief Executive Richard Gould.

Gould also emphasised that we have a talented pool of coaches who can cover for Adams and that his responsibilities extend beyond the first team.

Gould added that Adams should be ''refreshed'' for ''an arduous final run-in''.

I have no desire to play down the tragedy and trauma of Tom Maynard's death. However, such a situation requires direction and leadership to come to the fore; particularly, for our ''arduous final run-in'' which, in my view, began at Guildford. We already have a captain unable to cope with the circumstances and on indefinite compassionate leave. I would have thought our team director could have put back this holiday until mid-September.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 pm

The viscount left out again mad
Dernbach misses out as well
warwickshire won the toss and will bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Joke that Linley is left out after taking 7-42 for the 2nds. Who has he upset? How come Lewis and Jordan get picked ahead of him? Similarly, you'd have thought Dernbach would have played. Also, how does De Bruyn keep his place - when he did last score any runs? Bewildering selections again from Surrey.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:54 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:Joke that Linley is left out after taking 7-42 for the 2nds. Who has he upset? How come Lewis and Jordan get picked ahead of him? Similarly, you'd have thought Dernbach would have played. Also, how does De Bruyn keep his place - when he did last score any runs? Bewildering selections again from Surrey.

KingDave - the position with Linley is even more bewildering. Not only did he take a sevenfer in Warks' first innings in the second eleven game this week but he also he took cheaply the two wickets to fall in the second innings at the end of the second day. He was then rested for the last day which suggested he was going to play in this match. All very odd and disjointed.

To be fair to de Bruyn, he scored a good 90 odd in his last but one CC innings against Lancs at Guildford. However, I take your point - generally, his form this season has been very disappointing.

Meanwhile, Lewis continues to show himself to be an unnecessary and expensive signing who is only effective in bowler friendly conditions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 am

no wonder linley wants to leave mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:12 am

it seems like everyone is leaving this year even MuchHappierSurreyFan has gone Cry Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:03 am

guildfordbat wrote:
kingdaveeagle wrote:Joke that Linley is left out after taking 7-42 for the 2nds. Who has he upset? How come Lewis and Jordan get picked ahead of him? Similarly, you'd have thought Dernbach would have played. Also, how does De Bruyn keep his place - when he did last score any runs? Bewildering selections again from Surrey.

KingDave - the position with Linley is even more bewildering. Not only did he take a sevenfer in Warks' first innings in the second eleven game this week but he also he took cheaply the two wickets to fall in the second innings at the end of the second day. He was then rested for the last day which suggested he was going to play in this match. All very odd and disjointed.

To be fair to de Bruyn, he scored a good 90 odd in his last but one CC innings against Lancs at Guildford. However, I take your point - generally, his form this season has been very disappointing.

Meanwhile, Lewis continues to show himself to be an unnecessary and expensive signing who is only effective in bowler friendly conditions.

Thanks - no doubt we'll sign some more expensive overseas players for next season who won't perform - probably get Nannes again!!!!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:34 am

jimbobgooner wrote:it seems like everyone is leaving this year even MuchHappierSurreyFan has gone surrey vs warwickshire match thread 4184233493 Sad

JimBob - don't worry, MuchHappierSurreyFan will be back. He's currently away from these boards so we can all enjoy in safety something else about to start. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 am

Warks on top against Surrey today. Tho' considering Warks were 130 for no wicket a closing score of 322 for 6 could have been worse. Most of the bowling was fairly economical - including Meaker and the spinners. But Jordan very expensive in taking 2 for 85 off only 15 overs. I fear time may be running out for Jordan.

Disappointed to see Spriegel dropped.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 am

As the Corporal says, Warks on top although it seemed on occasions that the final score at end of day one would be a fair bit worse.

Decent couple of wickets from Meaker and clearly the pick of the bowlers. A useful brace for Jordan but far too expensive. Steady but unspectacular stuff from the slowmen. Lewis doing little more than confirm he's an expensive signing for someone who rarely delivers outside bowler friendly conditions.

Yet again, we need quick wickets in the morning and then to bat very well. A tall order. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, the wallpaper site goes nuclear after I reported news of Adams's mid season holiday ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:15 am

goodbye viscount clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 am

Hand to hand fighting on the wallpaper site Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Hand to hand fighting on the wallpaper site Shocked

Good to see you making an appearance, Corporal. I was beginning to think you had been booked to light a certain torch! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Sad Inevitably Warks overnight pair continue to prosper - partnership approaching 100. Total passes 400... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm

I simply fail to see how the viscount could have done anything worse what a joke

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Jimbob - Jordan did bowl a maiden just now.... Shocked But other positives are a bit thin on the ground....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:39 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:I simply fail to see how the viscount could have done anything worse what a joke

Agreed.

We have now given away more than 50 runs in extras. 30 in no balls, mainly from Jordan and Lewis. surrey vs warwickshire match thread 980425

''Inevitable'', to quote the Corporal.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Jordan adding a bit of variety to his bowling - a wide! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 pm

429 - 7. May yet get them out for under 550 Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Shocked 429 - 8 Kartik strikes again. Is the ball turning square?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:50 pm

All too late I fear ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:44 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:429 - 7. May yet get them out for under 550 surrey vs warwickshire match thread 57983

The Corporal too optimistic as ever! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 am

Ansari out for 10 spot on guildford about the openers
harinath now booking himself in for bed and breakfast
and they wonder why we get angry picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:429 - 7. May yet get them out for under 550 surrey vs warwickshire match thread 57983

The Corporal too optimistic as ever! Rolling Eyes

But in the overall scheme of things a tad more realistic than those who at the start of the season were tipping Surrey for the title Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 am

With 9 overs to go 84 - 1. Burns 43* (having been dropped first ball). Harinath 28*. 50 partnership clap . Burns survives a suicidal single....

Meanwhile Churchy explains that a night out in Brum for him entails going out to buy apples, and looking unsuccessfully for a coffee...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 am

at the moment it looks like i was right that harinath should have opened Cool

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 am

50 for burns clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:53 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:With 9 overs to go 84 - 1. Burns 43* (having been dropped first ball). Harinath 28*. 50 partnership surrey vs warwickshire match thread 1710857839 . Burns survives a suicidal single....

Meanwhile Churchy explains that a night out in Brum for him entails going out to buy apples, and looking unsuccessfully for a coffee...

Don't think anyone can accuse Churchy of being a Spice Boy! Very Happy

Burns and Harinath doing a good job ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:55 am

guildford censored

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 am

Just as things were looking ok-ish in the other game affecting us, Middlesex go suicidal against Durham ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:09 am

guildford & corporal with myself not being old enough to remember david thompson i wondered if you would be leaving your impression of him on the other thread OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:18 am

jimbobgooner wrote:guildford & corporal with myself not being old enough to remember david thompson i wondered if you would be leaving your impression of him on the other thread surrey vs warwickshire match thread 3610695981

Happy to help, JimBob. I'll post something a bit later. David Thomas not Thompson surrey vs warwickshire match thread 3610695981 , cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:33 am

ok him as well OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 am

jimbobgooner wrote:ok him as well surrey vs warwickshire match thread 3610695981

Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 am

Nice to see Harinath and Burns get some runs at the end of today, shame that once again we let the opposition get away, although Woakes is a very fine batsman, Patel getting 70 odd is frustrating. I certainly think that Linley deserves to be given a run in the side ahead of Lewis or Jordan really.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 am

Good knocks from Burns and Harinath to keep us in with a chance of a draw. surrey vs warwickshire match thread 1710857839

Very long way to go though and I'm not feeling optimistic.

Poor effort with the ball earlier in the day. Lewis lacking any cutting thrust and Jordan fairly dreadful.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Harinath and the Brain fall early. Need a long innings from Burns and a big one from le Roi.... king

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Harinath and the Brain fall early ....

I hope JimBob is still sleeping off a good Saturday night ....

Now off to the tip - the fun never stops! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 pm

how the hell did you know that guildford Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:23 pm

le Roi.... goes for a duck Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:how the hell did you know that guildford Shocked

JimBob - As obvious as a Jordan no ball!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Meanwhile one tip trip equates to one wicket as Roy comes and goes. Doubt that he has ever batted so long for a duck. Rolling Eyes

Not looking good at all here ....

What's the score at Durham?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

What's the score at Durham?

surrey vs warwickshire match thread 56390

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next