The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

+12
Tibor
packofwolves
jimbohammers
Dulwich_Dog
ShankyCricket
Carrotdude
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
Mat
guildfordbat
jbd349
jimbobgooner
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread Empty surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:25 am

Chris Adams has named a twelve man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire at the Kia Oval.
Jacques Rudolph has been withdrawn from the squad for this match due to family reasons.
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire on Thursday 19th April, Friday 20th April, Saturday 21st April and Sunday 22nd April:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (capt)
Steven Davies (wkt)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Chris Jordan
Gareth Batty
Jon Lewis
Stuart Meaker
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach
with no rudolph avaliable i would expect river to go back to opener unless roy gets the short straw
if roy does open i would leave out river

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by jbd349 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

If Meaker's fit, he has to play, with maybe Batty sitting out?

jbd349

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

JimBob - welcome back, my friend. Thanks for starting the thread.

Counting the Brain who is now bowling almost regularly, we have six seamers in our twelve man squad. That's surely too many and so I would expect one of them to miss out. The fact we had a point deducted for our slow over rate against Middlesex probably also supports a quick bowler being omitted.

I would bring back Meaker - I think his pace gives us a better chance of finishing off the opposition tail. I suspect the Viscount may again be the unlucky man.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

Hopefully some of our batsman have found some form after a game against one of the University sides. Mitchell's actually started this year well, which is suprising.

The Mongoose might be back for this one!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 18 Apr 2012, 4:47 pm

Mat wrote:The Mongoose might be back for this one!
But it won't be Reindeer versus the Mongoose, tho! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

Weather forecast looks a bit dodgy, with showers predicted....

River won't have enhanced his opening credentials with a couple of low scores in the last game. I would not be surprised to see Roy get a game.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

Corporal - at risk of echoing Peter Jones' commentary of ''.... and Smith must score'', Roy must play.

Even if not necessarily as an opener, he has to come in for Rudolph. As mentioned earlier, the team balance without him and otherwise with six seamers would be completely wrong.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

Surely Roy must come in for Reindeer?!
I'd stick Gramps in as opener - everyone else seems to have had a go!
I'd also replace River with Meaks, can't leave out Norah, the Queen of Spin!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

As said in another thread I'd play Roy for Jordan and bat him at 7. I know it's low but at least he scores quickly so won't get quite as stranded. Wouldn't be dropping Reindeer at all yet, if any batsman has to go it's Ramps as he looks in the worst form by far but hopefully he'll find it soon. Lewis, Meaker, Dernbach and Brain as the seamers with Batty for spin should be enough.

All that said it looks very unlikely there will be much of a game to talk about when I return thumbsdown

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:20 pm

Carrot - Reindeer has withdrawn from the squad for personal reasons.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 6:46 am

It's raining! Worcs won the toss though and have put Surrey in.
Roy in for Reindeer, and Meaker in for the Viscount, rather disappointingly as River keeps his place!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 19 Apr 2012, 7:07 am

River and interesting to open the batting then

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 7:26 am

Hi boys - pleased that Roy's back. However, still think we're over heavy with seamers (Dernbach, Meaker, Never Knowingly, Brain and River).

With Reindeer unavailable, I would have played Harinath or Third Degree (purely as a batsman) rather than River.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 7:51 am

Lunch now being taken. Inspection due at 1:40.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 19 Apr 2012, 7:56 am

Can any of you guys tell me more about Arun Harinath? Smile

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:07 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Can any of you guys tell me more about Arun Harinath? Smile
CF - he's a youngish opening bat, game built on defence rather than flair. Struggling for a first team opportunity. May get one when the Reindeer returns to the North Pole mid season but in all likelihood will be released at the end of the summer when his contract expires.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

guildfordbat wrote:Lunch now being taken. Inspection due at 1:40.
Raining again! Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

Well the Marston's pedigree is going down rather nicely. I've had a pasty and we've got IPL on the big screen. Could do with some live cricket now, but the covers are still on. Looks like a good toss to win, wouldn't fancy batting in these conditions.

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

Inspection at 3.30 apparently, not looking good

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

Thanks for the update, Dulwich.

Churchy is a bit more optimistic - although he always is! He was encouraged by groundstaff being out in the middle just now. There again, where else would they be?

Enjoy the Marston's! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

Play abandoned for the day. Cry

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

Guildford, join me on the county championship thread, im talking to myself Laugh

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:35 pm

Anyone would think the identities of the Surrey squad is a secret of national importance, the number of nick names and acronyms you guys have for them all!

In all seriousness though, welcome back to Div1 lads. Now that this is essentially a 3 day game, I'd say Surrey are favourites. Your batting line up is definitely more suited to quick scoring than ours is.

Good luck for tomorrow, did someone remember to order better weather?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

Hi Pack - no points for another of your teams today. Guess you're used to that! Wink Sorry.

You make a good point about our batting line up being well suited to a quick scoring game. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if the weather is going to allow much play over the next 3 days.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

now its time for my end of day report
it rained a lot Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Pack - no points for another of your teams today. Guess you're used to that! Wink Sorry.

You make a good point about our batting line up being well suited to a quick scoring game. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if the weather is going to allow much play over the next 3 days.

I'd settle for a draw now! Laugh

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Pack - no points for another of your teams today. Guess you're used to that! Wink Sorry.

Low blow Guildford! You're lucky that I've come to terms with Wolves' impending relegation.

Fingers crossed we get some play, but as you said, it doesn't look that likely. I quite fancy our seamers against that line up of yours, at least in swinging conditions.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:56 pm

Apologies again, Pack. I think you know my low opinion only relates to your Board rather than the team and supporters.

I'm sure Alan Richardson will be looking forward to having a few overs under leaden skies. I like him, as a person and cricketer. Thoroughly deserved his Wisden awaard.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:now its time for my end of day report
it rained a lot Wink
JimBob - very comprehensive! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 19 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Apologies again, Pack. I think you know my low opinion only relates to your Board rather than the team and supporters.

I'm sure Alan Richardson will be looking forward to having a few overs under leaden skies. I like him, as a person and cricketer. Thoroughly deserved his Wisden awaard.

No worries Guildford. I think your opinion of the wolves is considerably higher than mine is right now!

I'm with you on that, Rico seems a thoroughly nice guy. He's had some terrible luck with injuries in the past but he's a consummate pro.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:51 am

guildfordbat wrote:
shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Can any of you guys tell me more about Arun Harinath? Smile
CF - he's a youngish opening bat, game built on defence rather than flair. Struggling for a first team opportunity. May get one when the Reindeer returns to the North Pole mid season but in all likelihood will be released at the end of the summer when his contract expires.
CF? Tumbleweed Headscratch

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:01 am

Looks like Roy drew the short straw.

Davies and king opening up today.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:02 am

Sorry about that that, Shanks. Hope you found my answer better.

Meanwhile, back to the important stuff. Play starting on time today.

Le Roi king opening with Interesting and facing the first over from Richardson. Certainly a test for Roy but a good opportunity for him having been left out of the first two games ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:21 am

Business as usual for king . 20 runs off 21 balls!

Meanwhile, Churchy spills coffee all over himself! Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:33 am

The decision to open with Roy makes the inclusion of river even more bizarre

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:43 am

Hi JimBob - I guess Adams sees and likes River as an all rounder at number seven. I understand the thinking but am not convinced that he's good enough ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:43 am

38-0 off the first ten overs. Roy is rattling along. Whats the weather like darn sarf Guildford?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:47 am

Hi Pack - weather's pretty good my way. Lot of cloud but some blue sky as well. I don't know if we'll get a full day but the next couple of hours seem fine.

Roy lbw to Richardson!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:56 am

Cheers Guildford. Here's hoping for a full allocation today!

Roy gone lbw to Rico for 38 from 36 balls, 6x4's. Worcs needed that breakthrough. Richard Jones is on to bowl now, this is a key moment. He either bowls like a dream or like a drain. He seems to have no middle ground at all.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:59 am

Richardson gets Interesting! 55-2 as momentum shifts ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:01 am

55-2! Rico strikes again! Davies caught behind for 15 from 59. A little more sedate than his opening partner! Rico dragging it back for Worcs after that opening stand.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:05 am

3 down! Jones joins the party to have Ramps caught at slip by Old Vic for 1.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:08 am

And now Gramps falls to Jones who is presumably having one of his dream spells.

The Corporal's view is to shake Gramps warmly by the hand and then leave him alone in his room with a bottle of whisky and a loaded revolver .... Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:21 am

59-4! Jones gets a second with a snorter. Lifting delivery on off stump, climbs at RHB, who nicks it behind.

Time for Ramprakash to focus on his IPL punditry then Guildford?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:29 am

packofwolves wrote:

Time for Ramprakash to focus on his IPL punditry then Guildford?
I fear so!

Meanwhile, rain stops play. Bizarre - dry and almost sunny 30 miles sarf of the Oval.

Surrey have gone from a highly promising 48-0 to a pretty dreadful 60-4 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:32 am

Hard to blame the pitch this time. Sad

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:48 am

Rain here for the rest of the day now Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:15 am

I'm being battered by hailstones down in Southampton, which could be making its way to London.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

Play resumes after an early lunch.

More rain expected soon. It's chucking it down at Lord's apparently ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:Play resumes after an early lunch.

More rain expected soon. It's chucking it down at Lord's apparently ....

Very dark clouds and lightning around here in Barnet - though no real rain yet. Probaly coming though

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next