The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs worcestershire match thread

+9
Dulwich_Dog
Carrotdude
packofwolves
Corporalhumblebucket
Shelsey93
Mat
guildfordbat
jbd349
jimbobgooner
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread Empty surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 May 2012, 11:05 am

Chris Adams has named for a thirteen man squad for Surrey’s LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire this week.
Kevin Pietersen is included in the Surrey squad for the first time this season having returned from a winter with England and playing in the Indian Premier League with the Delhi Daredevils. Also included is George Edwards, who has been in excellent form with the ball for the Surrey Second XI.
Jade Dernbach and Stuart Meaker are both away with the England Lions who play the West Indies in Northampton this week.
The Surrey squad to play Worcestershire at New Road on Wednesday 9th May, Thursday 10th May, Friday 11th May and Saturday 12th May:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (capt)
Jacques Rudolph
Steven Davies
Mark Ramprakash
Kevin Pietersen
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Chris Jordan
Gareth Batty
Jon Lewis
Tim Linley
George Edwards
with that many batsmen no way roy will play so its out of the viscount & edwards for the last spot or maybe not

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 09 May 2012, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by jbd349 Tue 08 May 2012, 12:22 pm

IMO Linley will definitely play and it will be between Jordan and Edwards for the final spot. I'd go for Edwards as he has been in much ether form and Jordan's batting will not be as much of a factor at no. 8.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 May 2012, 6:29 pm

JimBob - thanks for starting this match thread. I may well be over complicating things but I don't think the starting eleven is that clear.

I agree with you that with so many batsmen in the squad, it's very difficult to see Roy getting a game. I'm assuming that the ''family reasons'' which kept Maynard out of Sunday's CB40 are now behind him and that he's fine to start. I'm also assuming that Adams is prepared to give Ramps at least one more go.

Like jbd, I'm sure Linley will play. The Viscount's a willing and generally reliable workhorse who will be very much needed in the absence of Dernbach and Meaker.

Again like jbd, I would leave Jordan out and give Boy George a gig (sorry!). Edwards is in good form and his confidence must be high after his nine match wickets against Somerset's young second eleven last week.

I think Adams will start with Edwards and give him a deserved CC debut. However, he might still also play Jordan to increase the bowling options and leave out another batsman instead. If so, that takes us back to Maynard and Ramps ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 08 May 2012, 6:58 pm

Weather has been fantastic today, so hopefully everything will be alright at New Road barring a sudden change in weather tonight. The flooding didn't get onto the square luckily, only the outfield.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 08 May 2012, 8:13 pm

Mat wrote:Weather has been fantastic today, so hopefully everything will be alright at New Road barring a sudden change in weather tonight. The flooding didn't get onto the square luckily, only the outfield.

Although from this picture it got pretty close...! http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2012/content/image/563746.html?object=57424

I can't quite fathom how they managed to get the outfield in order so quickly after flooding and so much rain... groundsmanship in professional cricket really is outstanding these days.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 08 May 2012, 8:58 pm

Weather forecast looks fairly poor for Weds and Thursday - tho' it looks a bit more likely that there will be some play tomorrow....

I think it is not impossible that Ramps might be the man to give way on the batting front, on the basis that he is not in good form and Pieterson as well as the Brain provide experience. Pleased for Edwards to get a call up.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 09 May 2012, 10:38 am

team is in roy and jordan miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 09 May 2012, 10:41 am

worcs won the toss and will bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed 09 May 2012, 11:43 am

Good to do battle again Guildford & co.! The Surrey batting line up is very intimidating on paper so it'll be interesting to see how they go at a seaming and slightly soggy New Road!

Worcs 25/0 off 10 overs.

The Worcester side for those interested is:

Mitchell
Klinger
Solanki
Mo Ali
Cameron
Pardoe
Scott (W)
Kapil
Jones
Lucas
Richardson

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 09 May 2012, 1:25 pm

58/0 when the rain came. Lunch.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 May 2012, 1:28 pm

Hi folks - quickly looking in from the Woking salt mines. Been wet here all morning so pleasantly surprised the match started on time.

Worcs 58-0. Early lunch due to rain. No bowler getting carted but the batsmen digging in.

I agree with you, Pack, that our batting appears strong - at least on paper. 'Proper' batsmen all the way down to number seven and then followed by Batty and Lewis who can both give it a biff.

Pleased to see Edwards make his Championship debut. We just need a wicket now and some decent weather.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Wed 09 May 2012, 2:05 pm

Is Tremlett on England duty ?

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 09 May 2012, 2:24 pm

Recovering from back surgery I think Dulwich.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Wed 09 May 2012, 2:42 pm

Ah, OK - well good to see Edwards get a look in.

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 May 2012, 5:41 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi folks - quickly looking in from the Woking salt mines. Been wet here all morning so pleasantly surprised the match started on time.

Worcs 58-0. Early lunch due to rain. No bowler getting carted but the batsmen digging in.

I agree with you, Pack, that our batting appears strong - at least on paper. 'Proper' batsmen all the way down to number seven and then followed by Batty and Lewis who can both give it a biff.

Pleased to see Edwards make his Championship debut. We just need a wicket now and some decent weather.
And that was all we got. Sad

Obviously hope the weather improves although the forecast doesn't sound great ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Wed 09 May 2012, 6:35 pm

Surprised Meaker's not in the squad, particularly after getting a six-fer against the same oppo last month. He and Linley seem to be on rotation.

Last edited by Dulwich_Dog on Wed 09 May 2012, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inability to spell)

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 May 2012, 6:42 pm

Hi Dulwich - Meaker and Dernbach are on England Lions duty, match starting tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Wed 09 May 2012, 8:12 pm

Ah, makes perfect sense - thanks GFB

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 09 May 2012, 8:56 pm

Ridiculous.

Beautiful weather all of yesterday, hasn't stopped raining since about midday today.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 09 May 2012, 9:06 pm

Allowing for losing a good chunk of the last day of the previous cc match at home to Worcs, we have now lost four days cricket in a row... Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 12:26 pm

anyone else agree with me, that this should and will be Ramps last season?

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 10 May 2012, 1:15 pm

Worcs 146-2 at lunch. Mo 41 n.o. and Solanki 33 n.o. Hope for this pair to push on in the afternoon. Both have been guilty over recent times of getting good starts but not going on. Linley took both wickets this morning and has 2-30 from 16 overs.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 10 May 2012, 7:16 pm

Close of play as Linley ends the Worcs innings on 285. 4 wickets for the Viscount, 3 for Lewis and 1 each for Batty and Edwards (his first of many, I hope).

Pretty decent effort without our best two bowlers but tomorrow will show how good the score is, I have a feeling we will struggle to get more than 300 although we do have a certain Mr Pietersen in our ranks this week and a long batting line up so I hope I'm wrong.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 May 2012, 8:04 pm

Carrotdude wrote:
Pretty decent effort without our best two bowlers but tomorrow will show how good the score is, I have a feeling we will struggle to get more than 300 although we do have a certain Mr Pietersen in our ranks this week and a long batting line up so I hope I'm wrong.
Carrot - good summing up which pretty much echoes my own thoughts and fears.

Pleased for the Viscount after being on the sidelines more this season than many expected. He certained lived up to the ''willing and generally reliable workhorse'' tag I gave him on the eve of the match - bowling almost 22 overs today and taking 4 wickets.

Good as well for Edwards to get his first scalp - apparently, his considerable pace has caused some interest. George Dobell wrote on CricInfo that he was our best bowler yesterday.

Before we get too excited though, we need to remember that before today Worcs hadn't scored 200 this season and didn't have a single batting point.

Anyway, lets hope for some decent weather and batting tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 11:44 am

shocking start this morning 8 for 2 davies out for a duck and ramps poor form continues also out for a duck Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 11:53 am

Ramps thus far is having the season to forget!

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 12:08 pm

He probably is starting to forget things CF, he is getting on a bit...

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 12:11 pm

yup i believe he should have retired at the end of last season, however surely he and everyone else knows this will be his last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:12 pm

Pietersen gone as well Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:22 pm

hyphen goes for a duck as well mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 11 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Shocked

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 12:24 pm

25/4 off 18. Rich Jones has 2-2 off 2ovs. Decent start to a spell! This is where the long battling line up of Surrey (theoretically) comes into use. Let's see!

Lucas took the first two wickets by the way. The first real impression he's made this season IMO.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 12:26 pm

run rate ridiclously slow, 25-4, worcs rather suprisignly are right on top.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:32 pm

now wine gums joins the duck club steam 32 for 5

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 12:32 pm

5 down! Maynard bowled by Lucas for a quacker!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Fri 11 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Disasterous start - hope Edwards can bat.

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:43 pm

Dulwich_Dog wrote:Disasterous start - hope Edwards can bat.
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 12:43 pm

Tuning in to hear of carnage at Worcs!

35 - 5. More than 100 still needed to avoid the follow on.

4 ducks and Pietersen gone for 11. Reindeer hanging in there, having been dropped earlier. Now joined by the Brain.

Probably most bizarrely of all, Richardson hasn't taken a wicket - yet!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:46 pm

make that 6 now guildford Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 12:47 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Tuning in to hear of carnage at Worcs!

4 ducks and Pietersen gone for 11. Reindeer hanging in there, having been dropped earlier. Now joined by the Brain.

Err - make that 35-6. Rudolph now joined by Batty!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Tuning in to hear of carnage at Worcs!

Err - make that 35-6. Rudolph now joined by Batty!
er is there a echo in here Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 12:49 pm

3-9 off 5 for Jones now. The boy is coming on well this year.

Hang on to your hats surrey lads...Rico is on for a bowl now!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 12:50 pm

Richardson now in on the act. Batty goes lbw.

38-7.

This is TERRIBLE.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 12:52 pm

Bahahahaaa and he's got Norah!

Sorry...lost my calm there. I think I may be dreaming. This kind of performance doesn't happen to Worcester in real life.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:54 pm

wow this is disgraceful

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:56 pm

will rudolph carry his bat Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 12:57 pm

looks like it lewis gone now 43 for 8

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 12:57 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
er is there a echo in here Laugh
Thanks, JimBob! Very Happy I wondered where my post had gone!

Churchy keeps saying this is ''extraordinary''. I'll stick with TERRIBLE - made even worse as Lewis goes lbw to Jones.

43-8. Oh dear, oh dear.

Surrey surely to follow on this afternoon ....

PS George Dobell (Cric Info writer) has just told Churchy that the Surrey tv highlights should be X rated!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 12:59 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
PS George Dobell (Cric Info writer) has just told Churchy that the Surrey tv highlights should be X rated!

You've definitely got to be a masochist to watch this back as a Surrey fan Guildford!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 1:00 pm

words fail me with this this realy is a return to the dark days

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next