The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs worcestershire match thread

+9
Dulwich_Dog
Carrotdude
packofwolves
Corporalhumblebucket
Shelsey93
Mat
guildfordbat
jbd349
jimbobgooner
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread - Page 3 Empty surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 May 2012, 10:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Chris Adams has named for a thirteen man squad for Surrey’s LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire this week.
Kevin Pietersen is included in the Surrey squad for the first time this season having returned from a winter with England and playing in the Indian Premier League with the Delhi Daredevils. Also included is George Edwards, who has been in excellent form with the ball for the Surrey Second XI.
Jade Dernbach and Stuart Meaker are both away with the England Lions who play the West Indies in Northampton this week.
The Surrey squad to play Worcestershire at New Road on Wednesday 9th May, Thursday 10th May, Friday 11th May and Saturday 12th May:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (capt)
Jacques Rudolph
Steven Davies
Mark Ramprakash
Kevin Pietersen
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Chris Jordan
Gareth Batty
Jon Lewis
Tim Linley
George Edwards
with that many batsmen no way roy will play so its out of the viscount & edwards for the last spot or maybe not

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 09 May 2012, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 3:27 pm

50 for kp clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs worcestershire match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: surrey vs worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 3:30 pm

christ i thought ali was bad pack but cameron has just outshone him Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 3:49 pm

Jones back into the attack and immediately strikes, Davies caught behind for 21. Game on!

We've got to give you lot a chance with some part timers Jimbob, otherwise our batters aren't going to get any more practice...

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 3:53 pm

packofwolves wrote:Jones back into the attack and immediately strikes, Davies caught behind for 21. Game on!

We've got to give you lot a chance with some part timers Jimbob, otherwise our batters aren't going to get any more practice...
Laugh fair play pack Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 3:55 pm

christ the hyphen isn't hanging around Laugh

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Fri 11 May 2012, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 3:58 pm

RHB and KP must be one of the most destructive pairings of batsmen to be seen in county cricket right now.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 4:07 pm

Jones has KP! A top quality catch by Mitchell at second slip and the England man is gone for 69.

Jones described by Churchy as "on fire". Good job there is a plentiful supply of water in the Severn.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:09 pm

packofwolves wrote:RHB and KP must be one of the most destructive pairings of batsmen to be seen in county cricket right now.
thanks for that pack Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 11 May 2012, 4:12 pm

Proffessional mocker-maker, me! Smile

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:21 pm

35 behind

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:31 pm

19 behind

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:36 pm

14 behind

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:44 pm

4 behind

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:47 pm

3 behind

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:49 pm

scores are level

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 4:55 pm

Surrey edge ahead. 178-4 in their second innings.

Effectively 6-4 in a one innings match. 9 overs left today by my reckoning.

The loss of Richardson is a huge blow for Worcs but they should have enough time and decent weather to get the last 6 wickets and the runs for a win. Massive credit to Jones for his 8 wickets today and Lucas who has bowled over 30 overs and got 4.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 4:57 pm

surrey lead Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 11 May 2012, 5:03 pm

50 for wine gums clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 11 May 2012, 5:49 pm

Well that was a pretty diabolical day for Surrey all round, despite a late fightback from KP, Wine Gums and Hyphen. I predict Worcs will win fairly comfortably. It really is sad to see (or hear) Ramps struggling so much right now, his form is awful and has been for ages, the Brain needs to get some runs too. Surely Le Roi needs a run in the side to prove himself now?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 5:50 pm

Stumps. 216-4. A lead of 44.

We can't claim to have turned it round (and I hope the official website doesn't state we have!). However, things are a lot better than when George Edwards walked to the wicket shortly before lunch with our first innings score at 43-8. Credit to him and Rudolph for putting on 60 for that ninth wicket.

Praise as well to Pietersen, Hamilton-Brown and Maynard for their second innings knocks. Mind you, they sure owed us! Shameful performances from them and most first time round.

The Corporal's concerns about this being one season too many for Ramps sadly seem to be correct. Worryingly as well, de Bruyn who was so reliable last season appears totally unable to make a score.

As I mentioned earlier, the loss of Richardson through injury is a huge blow to Worcs. That might just enable us to avoid a loss although I wouldn't count on it. I'm sure the impressive and ever willing Jones and Lucas are itching for more overs and wickets.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 11 May 2012, 5:56 pm

just catching up on today's drama Sad

as others have said, looking a little better than earlier..but we are far from turning it around... by all accounts, a shocking performance 1st innings...The Corporal's wisewords about Ramps seem to be more apt than ever...

I guess we've got to hope we can get a lead of around 180 plus, taking up a fair bit of time.. and hope that a run chase results in tumbling wickets!
I'm certainly not banking on that. especially with de Bruyn's form (or lack of)...
If we do go down tomorrow... congrats to Worcester, and a long hard struggle lies ahead for rest of season me thinks Yikes

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 11 May 2012, 8:31 pm

A few things...

A great day of cricket for the neutal at New Road. Batting collapse, recovery, KP in the runs, a few for RHB and Maynard as well.

These were the two sides that I tipped for relegation ( Sorry ). And I think today's cricket reflects their issues. Surrey bat only one way - that seems to have failed miserably first time round (and in Div 1 it can be expected to fail a few times against accurate bowling), and worked pretty well second time round (again expected against a weakened and tired attack). Worcs don't have the back up to really challenge, as is indicated by today's evening session.

For me, the game is now in the balance, and Worcs's batting frailty means Surrey have a real chance of turning this on its head.

I'm personally not a believer in saying that anyone "should have retired/ should retire". Retirement is a personal choice which a player makes in the knowledge that his team can drop him whenever they see fit. Some want to ensure that it never gets to that point, but I reckon Ramps felt he had a good season left in him, after missing part of last year with injury and then not quite hitting his straps.

His form is less worrying to me than his Twitter comments. He needs to focus on his game, and genuinely believe that runs are around the corner. At the moment he seems too interested in things which aren't in his control. If he focuses well he can still be a key part of this Surrey outfit.

Would I drop him? I might leave him out for a couple of games, and then recall him if things do not go to plan and hope he is in a better mental state by then... but whether he is willing to put in that work is another question entirely.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 11 May 2012, 9:47 pm

Just catching up. Salvaged some respectability late in the day. Tomorrow really is the time for Hyphen to bat for another three hours and get 150+

With Ramps I'm afraid that he is neither physically nor mentally in the right place. Eventually this season he might manage a half century or two. But really why hang on grimly for that eventuality. Roy, Burns, Lancefield etc should be playing. Makes no sense at all for someone well past 40 to be taking months and months to struggle back from prolonged injury as he did. All very sad, because he has been the outstanding batsman for Surrey over many years. Broken Record Broken Record Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 10:15 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:A few things...

... Surrey bat only one way - that seems to have failed miserably first time round (and in Div 1 it can be expected to fail a few times against accurate bowling), and worked pretty well second time round (again expected against a weakened and tired attack) ...

For me, the game is now in the balance, and Worcs's batting frailty means Surrey have a real chance of turning this on its head.

I'm personally not a believer in saying that anyone "should have retired/ should retire". Retirement is a personal choice which a player makes in the knowledge that his team can drop him whenever they see fit. Some want to ensure that it never gets to that point, but I reckon Ramps felt he had a good season left in him, after missing part of last year with injury and then not quite hitting his straps.

His form is less worrying to me than his Twitter comments. He needs to focus on his game, and genuinely believe that runs are around the corner. At the moment he seems too interested in things which aren't in his control. If he focuses well he can still be a key part of this Surrey outfit.

Would I drop him? I might leave him out for a couple of games, and then recall him if things do not go to plan and hope he is in a better mental state by then... but whether he is willing to put in that work is another question entirely.

Shelsey - A few points in response to your fine post.

''Surrey bat only one way''. That's the common perception and there's a lot of truth in that. We are generally a ''go for it'' batting side. Ramps and de Bruyn with their experience are expected to apply the brakes if the wheels look like coming off. However, they're both badly out of form and are not doing that. All the understandable talk and concern about Ramps has meant the spotlight has not been on de Bruyn. From being our most reliable batsman last season, he can now barely muster a run - very concerning and currently a considerable weakness.

''... the game is now in the balance''. I'm not so confident about Surrey's chances. Even if we can amass a potentially match winning lead, I doubt we'll then have enough time to take 10 wickets (or even 9 if Richardson can't bat).

Ramps. I certainly agree that ''Retirement is a personal choice''. I don't think that's really the issue though. Isn't the question - has age caught up with him? Many think it has even if he doesn't. His twitter complaints about early season pitches seem a self distraction just as were his rants against the Tiflex ball last season. I fully expect him to be dropped for next week's CC match - his recent form and focus (as you refer to) do not merit him a place. I do wonder if that may then be that. I suspect his focus may be irreparably damaged by rightly being left out. As I posted earlier, very sad if that is the case.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 May 2012, 10:21 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Tomorrow really is the time for Hyphen to bat for another three hours and get 150+
Very interesting second innings knock from Hyphen. He ended the day on 50 not out with 6 fours from 73 balls. However, he had scored 20 from the first 7 balls he faced with 5 fours. Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 10:40 am

261 - 4 after 35 minutes. Lead up to 90. Not surprisingly Surrey batting with aggression.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 10:45 am

Maynard brings up his century with a six clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 10:49 am

Morning all

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 12 May 2012, 10:56 am

Morning from me as well,

Don't tell Mrs Bat! She's shopping and I'm meant to be cutting the grass - just taking a quick break having done the back anyway. Wink

I guess Hyphen and Winegums have been as good as the scores suggest. Worcs desperately missing Richardson.

Still think we're short of time to bowl Worcs out a second time ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 10:58 am

liking the positive thinking guildford about setting them a target Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 12 May 2012, 11:02 am

jimbobgooner wrote:liking the positive thinking guildford about setting them a target Very Happy
I think we will, JimBob.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 11:03 am

92 runs scored in the first hour.... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 11:17 am

Partnership 200 @ 5 an over. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 11:18 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Partnership 200 @ 5 an over. Very Happy
clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 11:27 am

100 for the hyphen clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 11:33 am

Sorry, my fault. I had resisted switching on to Radio London all morning. Finally gave in and of course Hyphen was out first ball. Sad

But an excellent century..... Yahoo

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 11:36 am

ali strikes with his mystery ball Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 11:38 am

Lead is 180. I am sure we will be looking for another 100 if possible...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 11:39 am

and with that wkt jones back into the attack worcester sniffing victory

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 11:43 am

guildfordbat wrote: Don't tell Mrs Bat! She's shopping and I'm meant to be cutting the grass - just taking a quick break having done the back anyway. Wink ....
I am waiting for the battery in the strimmer to charge up. Very Happy Pity I didn't put it on charge a bit earlier in the day.... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 11:55 am

200 lead clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 12 May 2012, 12:04 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote: Don't tell Mrs Bat! She's shopping and I'm meant to be cutting the grass - just taking a quick break having done the back anyway. Wink ....
I am waiting for the battery in the strimmer to charge up. Very Happy Pity I didn't put it on charge a bit earlier in the day.... Wink
laughing

My next task is to drive to a garage to get some petrol. Made more challenging by BatGirl2 leaving the tank on Empty! steam

Meanwhile, I expect us to really go for it after lunch and declare after about 30 minutes of batting fireworks ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 12:05 pm

382 for 5 at lunch. The Brain scoring useful runs (23*) in a partnership of 32 so far. Lead has stretched to 210.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 12:06 pm

and that's lunch a excellent morning for surrey a lead of 210 Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 12 May 2012, 12:13 pm

What chance a Surrey victory now?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 12:44 pm

Another boundary takes Winegums to his highest first class score..... clap

Chris - a small but realistic chance of Surrey victory. We are without our front line pace attack.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 12:47 pm

Maynard out. Fair chance that we will be all out, without declaration coming into equation allowing Worcs plenty of time to chase down the total.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 1:00 pm

400 up clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 12 May 2012, 1:07 pm

6 for nora Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 May 2012, 1:09 pm

The Brain goes. Looked as though they were trying to accelerate for a declaration.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next