The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

+12
Tibor
packofwolves
jimbohammers
Dulwich_Dog
ShankyCricket
Carrotdude
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
Mat
guildfordbat
jbd349
jimbobgooner
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread - Page 2 Empty surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chris Adams has named a twelve man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire at the Kia Oval.
Jacques Rudolph has been withdrawn from the squad for this match due to family reasons.
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship match against Worcestershire on Thursday 19th April, Friday 20th April, Saturday 21st April and Sunday 22nd April:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (capt)
Steven Davies (wkt)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Chris Jordan
Gareth Batty
Jon Lewis
Stuart Meaker
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach
with no rudolph avaliable i would expect river to go back to opener unless roy gets the short straw
if roy does open i would leave out river

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

Brain dead! Gone to Rico's first ball after lunch. 69-5.

Enter River. Time to prove his doubters wrong ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire match thread

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

Rico has got rid of De Bruyn, another Worcester old boy, for 6 off 20. Gone caught at slip by Mitch.

I guess that rain can't come back soon enough, eh, Guildford?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

Pack - are you listening to the radio commentary? I like Dave Bradley's style (he's from Local Worcs radio). He seems knowledgeable without being too serious. Fits in well with our Churchy.

Great comment from Churchy: ''Everyone is now looking at the dark clouds to our right, well not quite everyone, two people!''. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

I was listening to it this morning Guildford. I do like Dave Bradley, he's been around Worcester for a long time now. He has that knack of showing his passion for the club without being disrespectful or ignorant of the opposition. A fine art!

Haha brilliant quote that. It's those little observations and flashes of humour that set cricket commentary apart from the rest in my view. In very few sports do you get such an opportunity of "set the scene" as it were.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

The brain goes for a well made 6 Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:19 pm

Rain still holding off at the Oval but concerns about the light even with floodlights on.

117-5 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:22 pm

Raining in dulwich guildford

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:27 pm

Christ did you hear that thunder

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

Rain finally stops play with Surrey on 117-5. A bit of a recovery mounted by Wine Gums and River.

I fear that may well be it for the day. Raining heavily now Guildford way and with all the thunder I guess JimBob is hiding under his bed in Dulwich! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Lol just passing through guildford inspection at 3.30 pm tea being taken

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

Still off although they've just started playing again at Lord's ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

5.15 start 24 overs left If no more rain Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

End of wine gums Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:now its time for my end of day report
it rained a lot Wink
For end of day two:
good start, poor middle and finish. And it rained again!

That ok, JimBob? Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

I haven't really been able to follow today what's been going on....disappointing final score, but I guess one can only judge how disappointing or not that score is after Worcestshire have batted (if the weather relents enough for that to happen!)
I think if my calculation is correct, we're likely to have amassed a grand total of 3 batting points in 3 games so far (unless there's some heroics from the tail tomorrow!)... To be fair I guess too early in the season to read too much into that, given the poor weather & poor Pitch (at Lords)!

I do love that comment from Churchy... brings back memories of sitting in the Vauxhall Stand totally on my own,when I was probably 35 years younger than I am now & before the rather sensible policy of closing parts of the ground off became more fashionable... There were probably about 5 other people in the Harleford Road side of the ground... mind you the pavillion was probably 'packed out' with atleast 20 people in there Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

Disappointing but somewhat predictable day after we were put in to bat.

Really is not good for the side as well as Ramps to have him struggling away....

Looking at forecast for tomorrow seems fairly unlikely we'll get anywhere near a full day....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:07 am

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:now its time for my end of day report
it rained a lot Wink
For end of day two:
good start, poor middle and finish. And it rained again!

That ok, JimBob? Wink
i could not have put it any better myself guildford Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

We could do with a few more showers, luckily I think there are some forecast for the next few days.
I have only just recovered from our game against Middlesex, I was on a train to Edinburgh watching cric info on my phone when we lost that, unfortunately Mrs Depressed had booked us onto the quiet coach.

Anyway our bowling is looking ok nfor the season but the batsman have to start digging in for higher scores, wherethe Reindeer???

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Oh dear 123-7 after 35 overs. Is Grizzly going to be blaming the pitch again ?

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

Happier,

Reindeer absent due to personal reasons.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

packofwolves wrote:I was listening to it this morning Guildford. I do like Dave Bradley, he's been around Worcester for a long time now. He has that knack of showing his passion for the club without being disrespectful or ignorant of the opposition. A fine art!

Haha brilliant quote that. It's those little observations and flashes of humour that set cricket commentary apart from the rest in my view. In very few sports do you get such an opportunity of "set the scene" as it were.
Lovely self deprecating comment today from the splendid Dave Bradley.

Churchy apologised for having given out the wrong email address for Radio Worcs. Bradders replied: ''Don't worry, Churchy. People only email me on week days when they're at work. They're not going to waste their leisure time doing it.'' Very Happy

Meanwhile, Surrey fighting back well. Worcs 34-4 in reply to Surrey's 140 all out. Two wickets each for Never Knowingly and Streaker.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 21 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

38-4 at lunch. Worcester's fragile batting coming to the fore once more. Mo out for single figures yet again...he really has not batted well so far this year, he was poor against Notts and even failed to score against the students, despite the fact that we appeared to be playing them on a runway. Hope he turns it around soon.

Hopefully Tulip and Camo can dig in with a solid partnership after lunch. I seem to remember Tulip scoring a few against Surrey a couple of years ago in Div2. I'd settle foe a repeat of that!

Great comment from Bradders last year, on a particularly fine summer's day. "Of course you can email in to us if you're listening online. Although realistically you probably aren't. Who'd be chained to their computer on a beautiful day like this? When the weather is this good I generally assume that we're talking to ourselves."

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Worcs now 7 down.

Choudhry out for a duck. Clearly not such a good batsman as his dad Cholin! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sat 21 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm

Worcestershire batsmen looking as unsinkable as the titanic, of which James Cameron should know all too much about. Very Happy

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulwich_Dog Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:03 pm

"Meaker The Streaker" - like it , hope it sticks

Dulwich_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:23 pm

110-8, getting close to the Surrey score, mainly thanks to James Cameron (36 n.o.) and Rich Jones (19 n.o.)

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

115-9. I had to curse it. Jones gone to Dernbach for 22. Rico to the crease now. Lets hope he remembered which end of the bat to hold.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:07 pm

6fer for Meaker.

The three main seamers (Lewis, Dernbach, Meaker) have performed really well so far this season.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:27 pm

Surrey reach 50-3 off 16 ovs. 2 wks for Rico and one for Lucas. Roy, Davies and De Bruyn the men out.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:39 pm

Anyone for a dodgy pitch??

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2012, 6:28 pm

100-5.

Hyphen and River currently holding it together.

Weather permitting, could be very tense tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

Surrey finish the day (technically the third) on 131-6. A lead of 152.

Hyphen still there on a run a ball 55, the only half-century - so far at least - of the match. clap

Rico has 3 second innings wickets and 9 in the match. So far. A class act.

If Worcs are to win, they'll need to score the highest innings of the match in the fourth innings. As said before, that's not impossible but never easy.

A Surrey win is now possible but subject to some important big IFs.

IF we can score 40 more in the morning.

IF we bowl sensibly.

IF the weather behaves ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:51 pm

Richardson never ceases to impress these days. I wonder what batsmen find so difficult about him - does he get more swing than most? Is he more accurate than most? Is he actually quicker than we give him credit for, combined with the above?If none of these you'd think the batsmen would just get on the front-foot to him and the like.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

critical day for Surrey tomorrow... Worcester one of the weaker teams in Div 1 season.... lose this and we could be in for a bit of a struggle this season... I haven't been able to listen to any commentary or read any reports so not sure if a poor pitch, poor batting, good bowling or some combination of all 3! - although showers are forecast, especially later in day.... my forecast for what it is worth is a draw! - Surrey on top, setting Worcester 190 to win and they are 80 - 6 when rain ends proceedings and its a draw.... we'll see just how wrong I am!!! - mind you, sorry to bring this up, Guildford bat but this time last week when I was fretting a bit about Surrey on the Sunday morning, you told me not to worry Shocked

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:
... mind you, sorry to bring this up, Guildford bat but this time last week when I was fretting a bit about Surrey on the Sunday morning, you told me not to worry Shocked
Chichester - great post!

If it makes you feel better, I'm worried about tomorrow.

Last week was different. It was all in our hands. Yes, Middlesex bowled well and the wicket was dodgy. However, more than anything, we blew it [anyone who doesn't go along with that should speak to the Corporal about the lunacy of the main batsman taking a single off the first ball of the over!].

Tomorrow we have an awful lot more to do. Firstly, add 40 runs to our score. Then - and this is never easy despite the conditions - take 10 wickets. If Worcs can get a partnership going, we're in trouble. Oh, and we have to pray it doesn't rain much .... Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

ChrisfromStroud wrote:Anyone for a dodgy pitch??
Have no fear Chris. I am sure Adams will give the Oval authorities a severe wigging for a poor pitch if Surrey bowl Worcs out for 100 tomorrow... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:44 am

time for my end of day report
it was not a day to be a batsman Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

Batty out Sad And Meaker pinches the strike with a 3 Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:51 am

Hyphen out for 76 after a useful partnership of 22 with Streaker.... Lead is a fragile looking 185....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

Noooo not the captain Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

Lead scrapes past 200 clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm

Excellent knock from RHB which may well be a match winner. Lewis having a bit of a slog here, and the luck seems to be going his way...edges over and through the slips bringing his boundaries.

10 wickets in the match so far for Rico. What a star that man is.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm

Partnership up to 25. Smile

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

Never knowingly & Streaker competing to see who will end the innings with the highest first class batting average. (16.03 vs 16.10 atm)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

packofwolves wrote:Excellent knock from RHB which may well be a match winner ....
Hi Pack, Corporal and all - Hyphen's innings was commented upon by Churchy as ''worth a double hundred on a flat track''. Jonny Barran - who is anything but the silly arse he plays up to - concurred.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Here comes the rain Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm

I think Churchy was bang on too Guildford. A captain's innings if there ever was one.

Lead is now 218. Alan Richardson is now 2 inches shorter having bowled continuously all morning so far.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

Meaker falls for 19 having faced 51 balls. That was probably as good as we could reasonably have expected.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

Hi JimBob - just started raining my neck of the woods as well. mad

Meaker goes - useful knock.

Third Degree - doing twelfth man duties today. Adams seems keen to keep him involved. I'm sure he'll play again this season, perhaps just as a batsman.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Can dernbach play sensibly Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next