The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referees - Variation on a Theme

+6
red_stag
rugbyfan
Portnoy
sugarNspikes
eirebilly
RubyGuby
10 posters

Go down

Referees - Variation on a Theme Empty Referees - Variation on a Theme

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 10:58 am

I was driving home last Saturday and listening to Talk Sport and a general phone in about referees in football. We were getting the usual whining and whinging when this chap with a smart accent called in and suggested that we have all got this wrong. I really liked where this guy was coming from. In essence he was bemoaning the fact that most supporters end up returning home and all they talk about is the referee and his "mistakes". In essence the caller was suggesting that we all make a philosophical "shift" in our perception and try to accept that these things will always happen. The disappointing thing for this chap is that it he felt it detracts from all the great stuff that went on during a match and people tended not to focus on the game itself and all the goodness that went with it.

I really liked where the guy was coming from and he stated his case eloquently - When you think about it we go back years and years about what could have been and we was robbed and yes, that may well have been the case but until we accept that there are ALWAYS going to be refereeing errors then all we will get is a continued whinge fest. I've come close to not watching lots of games as a consequnece of getting worked up but this guy has made me think a lot more about it and I believe he is right on many levels. "shxx" happens and it will continue to happen - We could perhaps do more to prevent it happening as often but it will still happen. Time for a philosophical change in our perception of referees and the game in general - I like that but I wonder what my mate Gareth Chilcott would think thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Referees - Variation on a Theme Empty Re: Referees - Variation on a Theme

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

I think that most people will forgive a ref for the odd clanger but when it becomes a consistency issue (George Clancy) of a ref thats on the elite panel it becomes a focus point. There are very rare occasions where a ref actually contributes to the result of a game but they are there.

I think that expectations are higher for refs in the elite panel and when they have bad games its focused on more than a lower ranking ref.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Your post is for the Clancy thread Billy and not this philosophical debate - Last warning or I'm coming after you boxing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

I agree with the radio chap. We questions refs constantly, but they're only human.

I think the competency (or otherwise) of some fans should be questioned Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

At the elit(e/ist) levels where TV and technologies exist, I would argue for TV replays like in RL to scroll back to before the touch-line was and (e.g.) was the last pass forward. And I'd also argue that touchline appeals should be introduced.

In proper rugby, you have only the ref who is often doesn't have the luxury of a TJ.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

Really, i thought that my post was on topic Ruby Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

Portnoy - I don't think it would be possible to use tv replays for forward passes. it's far too difficult, if not impossible, to categorically say if many passes are forward. it can be so hard to tell depending on the angles available. Unless there is a conclusive way of judging if a pass is forward then replays would simply cause further debate.

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

The only human thing and "let he without sin cast first stone" thing is something people forget.

I reffeed about two seasons ago in a landslide match. Finished 60-5 or something.

To be fair to the mouthy coach I didnt ref well but his team was dire.

Approaches me after the game and yells "Why don't you f**# off and learn how to bloody ref".

I took out scorecard and pointed out that his team lost by 60 points and maybe he needs to f-*# off and learn how to coach.

He laughed and bought me a drink.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

eirebilly wrote:Really, i thought that my post was on topic Ruby Sad

It was on topic - just the wrong one Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

I was simply highlighting why refs get picked on Ruby, i just used Clancy as an example because he is a talking point after the weekend.

Thought that it was ok to be honest OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

Billy, do you take everything this serious? Erm

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

Yes
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:06 pm

Then move your post when your told to Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 16 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

I agree that we moan about referees, and we shouldn't , but if we don't moan about it nothing will ever get sorted out.

Besides I think the moans are more about the interpretation of the laws than the referees themselves, they are just easier to have a go at.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

Kicked off the thread Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

You're still on it!! It would only be gently handed over to a more appropriate thread anyway with pint of Guinness to ease pain.

I actually read "kicked off the thread" as you were the first one to respond so a win win there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:33 pm

Bully Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

eirebilly wrote:Bully Wink

Poor man can't even spell his own name!

Very Happy

Back on topic, I think your radio man was right. We would all be happier and more satisfied with matches if we could just chill and accept that refs make mistakes. However there does need to be a fairly visible feedback loop where refs who are making more mistakes are... Whistle ...encouraged to improve.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

I love you too MrsP Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

Hug

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

Yes, I heard him. 606 I believe he was on and Alan Green was basically laughing at him. What he was also saying was that the media shouldn't stoke the flames as it perpetuated the problem.

In Rugby I think we make it even more difficult for ourselves by the artificial constructs built by the laws - the perfect tackle, ruck and scrum - that just don't happen at the highest level.

My answer is yes, lets all have a long close look at ourselves, but also let the IRB have a long close look at simplifying the blydi laws!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

Glas - thank you for that - I was actually quite amazed by Alan Green's rather patronising view of such an intelligent caller - He more or less wrote the guy off as a bit of a nutter which perhaps says it all. It was a great call in my view and I've been tempted to drop them a line about this call - Thanks for bringing this up mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

I have no problem what so ever with referee's making mistakes, it's when they totaly balls up a good rugby match that GRIND MY GEARS steam For instance, I remember a few seasons back the Ospreys were playing Perpingon in the HC, there was a deliberate knoack on but the ref only gave a scrum advantage in injury time, that was his call, but as Clancy is the talk of the town for the moment, he just blows his whistle far too often. He also takes all momentum out of the game. The best refs are the ones you do not notice and are not scared to make big calls, I hate it when they go to the TMO and ask is there any reason whay I cannot award the try. That, for me, is a cop out, the question should be TRY YES or NO. If he missed something in the build up then it is his own fault.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down