The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions (variation on an old theme)

4 posters

Go down

The Lions (variation on an old theme) Empty The Lions (variation on an old theme)

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:02 am

Here's a conundrum for you. As our national sides get gradually diluted with more and more southern hemisphere players should we try to safeguard that final monument to British and Irish rugby; "The Lions" by ensuring that the eligibility criteria is "tighter" - I don't want to get into a political argument here (probably impossible) but as it stands we are likey to have a Lions team in the future with 4-5 New Zealanders, 2-3 Saffers etc etc and when this happens I don't really see the point. My views are pretty firm on this as I am not happy with any national sides recruiting from abroad. If you are a Saffer who's lived here for 3 years or 23 years then in my mind you are a Saffer and probably a proud one given your rugby traditions. Anyways, should we tighten the Lions eligibility to safeguard this monument or are we going to flog our rugby souls and heritage for what would be a laughable and hollow victory? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The Lions (variation on an old theme) Empty Re: The Lions (variation on an old theme)

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:33 am

So far 18 of you courageous rugby followers have failed to address a key issue here. Abandon all hope so far - What next Mitt Romney for President furious Crying or Very sad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The Lions (variation on an old theme) Empty Re: The Lions (variation on an old theme)

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:41 am

None of the above?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

Thanks for your insight there Tiger thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:47 am

OK, to be slightly more serious:

I would love that the requirements were tighter - but then that applies to normal Int rugby. Waldrom may have discovered that a granny was conceived as the boat left southampton docks - but he sure aint English.

However I do not want the reqs as tight as you do - after all we have always been an island of immigrants and mongrels. I view anyone who comes here as a child to be british, plus anyone who has chosen to leave their homeland and base themselves here taking british citizenship.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:51 am

I have some sympathy with this idea. i think national squads are becoming little more than glorified clubs. What is the point in a national side that doesn't have players representing it who have any connection to that nation other than having visited it once or twice?

The truth is though that winning and money is all that matters so this is not likely to stop any time soon. The IRB won't change the rules because they know that there would be too much resistance.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

That's better Tiger just say it as you feel. I have to agree with you - It's just those players that come over in their 20's and end up in our national sides. I just think it makes a mockery of the whole thing. I think Faletau has been here since he was 6 etc - If you don't know what nationality you are by the time your 15 then you have a bit of a problem IMO. Anyways I would get no pleasure from seeing a foreign Lions team win and I think the SH nations would also find it laughable as it just reinforces our playing inadequacies more than anything else thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Nov 2012, 10:03 am

We all know that the elligibility rules are horrifc and need changing and this would then sort out any ideals about a your wishes above...but hey until the IRB deals with it...we can talk about it till we're blue in the face....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 06 Nov 2012, 10:08 am

I know that Geordie but for me its useful to gauge the level of feeling on here. I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to rugby and maybe its an age thing as many young rugby folk I talk to have far more antipathy towards this sort of thing. Wales playing with 4-5 foreign players for me would ruin everything and I seriously would get far less pleasure. The Lions with SH and PI players would be a complete mockery IMO and we're heading that way. For what its worth I believe we should have a Brirish or Irish coach as well. Whats the point having a New Zealander get one over on the aussies. I just don't get it thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down