The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBU Title

+9
Mind the windows Tino.
paperbag_puncher
Nico the gman
Seanusarrilius
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
manos de piedra
Maddy2k12
13 posters

Go down

WBU Title Empty WBU Title

Post by Maddy2k12 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

I watched "The Fighter" a few days ago and saw that Micky Ward won the WBU title.

Was this belt highly regarded previously? I've seen people such as Roy Jones Jr have held the belt (even Audley Harrison had it). What happened to its popularity as a belt to fight for?

Maddy2k12

Back to top Go down

WBU Title Empty Re: WBU Title

Post by manos de piedra Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

Its never been a major title. One of the lesser belts that plague boxing these days and very lightly regarded. Basically not worth the sanctioning fees which is why many of these fringe sanctionaing bodies have so many weight classes vacant.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

Think I am right in saying Audley was WBF champion, which is even less well regarded than the WBU, that is one of the many things that annoyed me about the Fighter, was fighting Shay Neary for a title nobody cared about, made it out like it was Johnson Jeffries, pile of over acted cack.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddy2k12 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

Yes, sorry it was the WBF title that Audley Harrison won. My mistake!

Maddy2k12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Ricky Hatton brought the WBU's attention to many in this country, he defended it many times before stepping up.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

rowley wrote:
pile of over acted cack.

One thing Mark Wahlberg can never be accused of is overacting.

And Bale's depiction of Dicky was pretty much spot on.

Maudlin Hollywood scripting and plot is probably more apt.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

I was referring to Bale and found him wildly over the top, realise it is not too bad an impression of Dicky but had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the nuts.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

rowley wrote:I was referring to Bale and found him wildly over the top, realise it is not too bad an impression of Dicky but had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the nuts.

Agreed, Bale was so over the top, got quite annoying. Mind you, Bale seems like a bit of a nobber to be honest, so not surprised.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

Bale was nominated for the oscar for his performance.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

Won it mate, best supporting actor, still doesn't matter. I am right and the Academy is wrong.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

Nico the gman wrote:Bale was nominated for the oscar for his performance.
and I forgot to add won it

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

rowley wrote:Won it mate, best supporting actor, still doesn't matter. I am right and the Academy is wrong.
Weeeeeeeeee are right Rowley. We are right and the academey is wrong, ha.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
rowley wrote:Won it mate, best supporting actor, still doesn't matter. I am right and the Academy is wrong.
You must write to the academy and tell them to withdraw it, if you haven't already.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm

I've gone further than that, I have suggested rather than having a voting panel, just send me a list of nominations in the categories and I will decide the winners across the board, apart from the stuff like animation, am a real man I don't watch cartoons, will save them getting things as wrong as giveing Bale the oscar or the Hurt Locker best film, thus far I have not had an answer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

rowley wrote:I've gone further than that, I have suggested rather than having a voting panel, just send me a list of nominations in the categories and I will decide the winners across the board, apart from the stuff like animation, am a real man I don't watch cartoons, will save them getting things as wrong as giveing Bale the oscar or the Hurt Locker best film, thus far I have not had an answer.
Good for you.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

Bale was class in The Fighter. I'm afraid you should stick to the book reviews Rowley..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Bale was class in The Fighter. I'm afraid you should stick to the book reviews Rowley..

You're also wrong paperbag, films like books music and all other cultural pursuits is yet another area I am an expert on, to be honest in such matters it is just easier to accept my word as fact.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Bale was class in The Fighter. I'm afraid you should stick to the book reviews Rowley..

Why? He is hopeless at them as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

You try doing them when you can barely read, given such a hinderance I think I perform pretty manfully.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Yes but the stuff he is reviewing in the book thread is so obscure that he gets away with it.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

rowley wrote:

You try doing them when you can barely read, given such a hinderance I think I perform pretty manfully.

Only kidding anyway, old buddy. They are always appreciated. You might not have the 100% success rate (1 review and 1 buyer) that I have but you battle on anyway and that is to be admired.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:58 pm

they used the fact most people don;t know boxing belts to make it out as if ward was a legit world champion by winning that bout in the film.

i thought the film wasnt bad at all. didnt think it was great either.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

On the subject of the fighter they are apparently in talks to make a sequel covering his fights with Gatti, is great isn't it, is not a Joe Louis film worth the name but Mickey Ward has two.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

rowley wrote:On the subject of the fighter they are apparently in talks to make a sequel covering his fights with Gatti, is great isn't it, is not a Joe Louis film worth the name but Mickey Ward has two.

Yeah but Mickey Ward wasn't a made up fighter. I've seen him fight...

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

rowley wrote:On the subject of the fighter they are apparently in talks to make a sequel covering his fights with Gatti, is great isn't it, is not a Joe Louis film worth the name but Mickey Ward has two.

I understand your frustration but you have to appreciate it wasn't a boxing film or biography of boxer as such but the relationship between to brothers who boxed, one of whom became a crack addict yet was still training his brother. The idea was influenced by HBO's 'High On Crack Street' a documentary about the life of Dickie Ecklund who fights & floors SRL in the early part of his career (SRL's) but ends up addicted to crack & in & out of prison. In a fairly big fight for Ward he's got his brother & another crackhead in his corner! Check it out on youtube, mad stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

HBO's 'High On Crack Street' is a great documentary, was right into watching crazy docs not that long ago, 10 out of 10.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

I thought Tina's tale of Young Perez was perfect for Hollywood when I read it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm

Didn't "The Fighter" also exaggerate the extent to which Ward was outweighed when facing some fighter that his mother had agreed to (early on in the film)?

Boxrec shows that the biggest weight disparity was when he gave away 8.5 lbs to Mike Mungin. The movie had him fighting a middleweight I think?

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

it was a hollywood film, lets not forget that. and its a lot more realistic than rocky.

although the most technical advice ward was given in the film was to hit the 'head, body, head'.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

Nico the gman wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:
You must write to the academy and tell them to withdraw it, if you haven't already.

I suggest a petition Laugh

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down