The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Over Challenge

+11
Gregers
hodge
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Stella
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
Biltong
JDizzle
Galted
Liam
Mike Selig
15 posters

Go down

1 Over Challenge Empty 1 Over Challenge

Post by Guest Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

Right cricketing fans. As we all know the cricket season is in full swing so I thought I would ask what I think is an interesting question.

If you could bowl one over to one batsman who would you bowl it against?

If you could bat one over against one bowler who would bat against?

Discuss please.

Back to top Go down

1 Over Challenge Empty Re: 1 Over Challenge

Post by Mike Selig Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

I'd love to bat against Shane Warne to see what it's like.

I'd quite like to face Brett Lee for 2 balls, provided he promised to bowl full. I reckon the first one I wouldn't see, hence 2 balls. An over might be a bit much.

Bowling? The last time I bowled in a match it didn't end too well. Chris Martin maybe?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

batsmen to bowl to: Sachin Tendulkar

To say i've bowled against the highest run scorer of all time.

Bowler to face: Shane Warne

Like Mike, to see what its like, the spin then the one that goes straight on. Probably like to face Michael Holding or any of the fast bowler from the Windies team when they had that incredible team.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

Batsman to bowl to: has to be Chris Gayle
Bowler to face: Syd Barnes to see what all the fuss is/was about

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:24 pm

Bowler: Shane Warne. I'd love to see him work me out and work me over and it would be absolutely awesome. I'd want the full works though, plenty of chirping from Warney!

Batsmen: Eoin Morgan. If I'm going to get smashed, I want to get smashed in unique areas.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

Well I would fancy my slow left arm bowling against darryl cullinan. If Warne could make him his bunny, at least I have a chance.

I can't bat, so a fast bowler against me will just be a waste of energy, and I wouldn't appreciate getting clean bowled 6 times, so it will have to be someone slow, and seeing that I am left handed, I fancy myself against the leg spin of Shane Warne.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm

Batter to bowl at: Geoff Boycott's grandmother - only a stick of rhubarb to beat

Bowler to face: Trevor Chappell - at least I won't get out

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:45 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
.... Probably like to face Michael Holding or any of the fast bowler from the Windies team when they had that incredible team.
You might want to reconsider that. Wink

As a perfect cricketing challenge (but not of your personal sanity or safety), the bowler to face has to be Warne.

For me, the batsman to bowl to would be Sobers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:45 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well I would fancy my slow left arm bowling against darryl cullinan. If Warne could make him his bunny, at least I have a chance.

I can't bat, so a fast bowler against me will just be a waste of energy, and I wouldn't appreciate getting clean bowled 6 times, so it will have to be someone slow, and seeing that I am left handed, I fancy myself against the leg spin of Shane Warne.

Oh yes, I want Healy to b the wicket keeper, cause everytime he starts "well bow.......oh hell. Fetch Warney" Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:55 am

Bat against Warne. I wouldn't fancy facing a Curtly or Waqar tbh.

There was a programme on sky a couple of years ago where they followed an Aussie bloke who went on tour to Aus with the barmy army for the 2006-07 ashes series.

One episode showed this bloke and a couple of Englishmen facing warne for one over in an inside net. The first bloke blocked every ball, or tried to. I watched it thinking what a fu..ing waste.

Bowling wise, Lara is my favourite player and IMO he's the best of his era, so it would have to be him.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

Hmmm, to maximise my chances of actually achieving something I'd bowl to Chris Martin and face Bert Vance (he went for 77 off an over vs Canterbury once - http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/451716.html)

More seriously, I'd face Warne (I've faced Carl Bulfin at 140km/h in the nets and don't feel the need to face anything quicker) and bowl to Lara

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

More seriously, I'd face Warne (I've faced Carl Bulfin at 140km/h in the nets and don't feel the need to face anything quicker) and bowl to Lara

-----------------------------

140? bet that was an expereince Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

To bowl to - Jos Buttler, his style of batting would be interesting to see how far i get dispatched.

To bat against - Murali, could I pick him would be the thinking and probably not.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:27 pm

To bowl to AB de Villiers, based on him playing shots no one else can

To bat against, Murali

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

to bowl at: well as I said to my captain when he last asked me if I could bowl, "yes, but if it gets to that point we're in real trouble". Not really much of a bowler, but as a "spinner" I'd go for Clarke or Pietersen. Clarke to watch close up just how quick on his feet he is, Pietersen to see just how far he could hit me back over my head.

to bat against: Warne or Murali. No idea what the ball is doing, but I'd have to try the switch hit at least once Very Happy

I'd also love to keep wicket to Warne, just to see how challenging it really is Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

Stella wrote:More seriously, I'd face Warne (I've faced Carl Bulfin at 140km/h in the nets and don't feel the need to face anything quicker) and bowl to Lara

-----------------------------

140? bet that was an expereince Very Happy

In hindsight, hitting his loosener back over his head for 6 was an error. Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

Seems to be nearly unanimous - everyone wants to face Warne. Can't say I'm surprised Smile

As a matter of fact there was a lot of excitement at my club a year or so back: word was that Warnie , who was back in Melbourne with no pressing engagements for a few weeks , had been down at his old local club for a few drinks with old friends and had offered to turn out for them in the next round - guess who they were drawn to play?
Not sure who was more eager for Saturday : the batsmen who had been training with unprecedented enthusiasm during the week , the young fast bowlers fancying a famous scalp , or the club treasurer who had been laying in a heavily increased stock of beer etc...

Alas - it didn't happen. A poker tournament I think - or perhaps a weekend with Liz - got in the way and the great man was a no show. Pity.
(not that I would have got to face him , my first team days are a few years in the past now)
Anyway , Warne would be my fantasy bowler too. I admire a lot of fast bowlers but you wouldn't really have time to appreciate them while ducking , would you? Although , come to think of it , Dennis Lillee is not much younger than me so he may have lost a yard or two by now Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:34 am

To bowl to: Ponting... a nice juicy one so I could see him attempt his pull shot of old.
To bat against: Swanny. Cool

My brother recently faced Anil Kumble for one over at a corporate event in Mumbai. He never played proper cricket... except in the back yard with yours truly.

He played and missed the first, got bat to ball to keep it out a couple of times, then got bowled.... but he did manage to hit him for 4 on the 4th or 5th ball. Kumble shook his hand at the end of it and asked him if he had ever played any sort of cricket before. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:14 am

Our club has some close Sri Lankan links and a few of our players (and the owner of our ground) know Murali well. Our First XI opener faced a few overs of him out in the middle last year and thwacked a couple for six.

In terms of my own experience I can claim to have faced an international player (albeit not a bowler) - Dion Ebrahim was our overseas player last season and bowled at me in the nets a few times. Ironically, he was once suspended for a Test for accusing Murali of chucking!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

I did once bowl a couple of my slow, non-turning off breaks at Dillip Vengsakkar in the nets at our club. Given that the last over I bowled in a competetive game went for 20, you can imagine what he did...

So based on that, I'd have to say Sobers to bowl to - at least I couldn't be any worse than Malcolm Nash Wink .

To bat against? I've faced some guys who were pretty quick for club level cricket, so I think I'd like to (not) see what it's like against a true fast bowler. Perhaps Harmison, as there'd be half a chance I'd get a couple of loose balls in the over that I could try to do something with.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:34 am

It seems many of us want to face Shane warne, and most are very complimentary about why they want to face him (I beleive secretly we all want to see how many 6's we can get off him.) Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:42 am

biltong
I think it's more they hope Warney will bring Liz along with him, and when she sees how easily we beat her supposed cricket legend boyfriend, she'll be so impressed that.... Whistle

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

They're having two weddings you know.... OK

Bilt, did you get your invitation yet?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:46 am

biltongbek wrote:It seems many of us want to face Shane warne, and most are very complimentary about why they want to face him (I beleive secretly we all want to see how many 6's we can get off him.) Wink
Laugh

I faced Carl Bulfin in the nets a couple of years before he played in the 1999 World Cup, and faced Hadlee in a match once (admittedly he was in his late 40s or early 50s Whistle ). I figure that's my seam bowling faced quota ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Liz was VERY hot in her day, still decent though, I wonder if Warney is still using those tanning salons or just spray on tan tese days, NO LB no invitation yet.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down