The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

+15
Taffineastbourne
gowales
RubyGuby
Comfort
TBJ9625
maestegmafia
wales606
TycroesOsprey
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
Seagultaf
Knowsit17
ScarletSpiderman
Pot Noodle Miner
JacoFourie2012
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia - Page 2 Empty Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by JacoFourie2012 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

To pick a starting 15 for the first test in Australia was going to be hard for the Welsh management. It is perhaps even harder now, considering Jamie Roberts and possibly Jonathan Davies will miss the tour. Wales want to win as many of the tests as possible, as it is a test tour and the ranking points will be priceless, especially when it come to gaining a favourable pool in the next World Cup. The other issue that has to be considered is the huge opportunity to give some younger players the chance to play. If Wales lose four or five starters for the autumn tests it makes sense to have replacements primed an ready. Besides this is a policy that has already put Wales in a fantastic position. One example is with Gethin Jenkins signing for Toulon and getting on a bit. Would it make sense to start another loosehead?

This the team I would consider playing:

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Blues)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Blues)
13. Ashley Beck (Ospreys)
12. Scott Williams (Scarlets)
11. George North (Scarlets)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
9. Lloyd Williams (Blues)
8. Toby Faletau (Dragons)
7. Sam Warburton (Blues)
6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons)
5. Ian Evans (Ospreys)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
3. Craig Mitchell (Exeter)
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
1. Rhys Gill (Saracens)

16. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
17. Matthew Rees (Scarlets)
18. Ryan Jones (Ospreys)
19. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
20. Mike Phillips (Bayonne)
21. Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)
22. Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Who would you select for Wales?

JacoFourie2012

Back to top Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Apr 2012, 7:06 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
TBJ9625 wrote:
wales606 wrote:Well, can we all agree now that Ryan Jones will be in the 22, even if he is playing hooker.

Excellent in the 6Ns and follows up with 2 MOTM performances in 2 weeks, one while playing opposite Lydiate the other Paterson - both of whom are very good 6s.

I think Ryan Jones is playing better than Lydiate at the moment. Seeing them head to head on friday, Jones had the better 80mins. I really hope he can continue this new run of form, he's more like the Jones that took the game by storm in 2005

Ryan was playingas part of a very strong and destructive pack whilstDan was playing in our pack which is complete opposite ends of scales unfortunately.

Bedford:

Totally agree, it is hard for players to look good is a pack with a weakish front row, this is the reason Lydiate and Toby took so long to break into the Wales side. I still think R Jones has more to offer than both the Dragons boys but a good position to be in for Wales. I still thought the Dragons did well last week the FB did very well he managed to stop Ian Evans and Ryan running at him compared to Piestland for the Scarlets.

Not so sure that RJ is a better player than Lyds or Toby...! they have been exceptional. Great to have such competition... Add Tuperic and Shingler to that list too and we really have some excellent and youthful depth. Some bloke called Warburton is in the mix too, apparently he is quite the player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:07 pm

As one of Jones' biggest knockers of late I will admit I am wrong and he has been great for Wales and the O's but for me and its all personal cjoice he is not good enough to start above Dan or Toby
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:As one of Jones' biggest knockers of late I will admit I am wrong and he has been great for Wales and the O's but for me and its all personal cjoice he is not good enough to start above Dan or Toby
I completely agree

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:34 pm

Actually, if Warbs is out. Then i would seriously consider starting Ryan alongside Tipuric to give him some guidance. Faletau needs a bit of a kick up the backside as well

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

gowales wrote:Actually, if Warbs is out. Then i would seriously consider starting Ryan alongside Tipuric to give him some guidance. Faletau needs a bit of a kick up the backside as well
Why?

Falatau has been fantastic. What do you think he has done wrong?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gowales wrote:Actually, if Warbs is out. Then i would seriously consider starting Ryan alongside Tipuric to give him some guidance. Faletau needs a bit of a kick up the backside as well
Why?

Falatau has been fantastic. What do you think he has done wrong?

I feel that he hasn't been as prominent as he was when he burst on to the scene. I don't know if that's because of his new role in the team or a loss of form, but with Roberts and JD out we'll need our forwards to carry a bit more.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 28 Apr 2012, 9:17 pm

What so you would pick Ryan Jones to carry more?

Hes been great but carrying not his strong point
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Apr 2012, 10:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:What so you would pick Ryan Jones to carry more?

Hes been great but carrying not his strong point
I was going to write the same. Faletau is one of the best all round backrow players around at the moment. Has been exceptional since his debut last year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 29 Apr 2012, 12:02 am

I thought Faletau was not the player in the 6N he was in the RWC, for me for an 8 he should control the ball at the back of the scrum which he does not, against France he lost control twice losing our own ball. He is still a very good player hence we are lucky to have two top number 8's in Toby and Ryan, my choice would be Ryan at 6 or 8 as he offers more as a complete player.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 7:55 pm

I have to say that I would opt for Ryan to start ahead of Faletau at this current moment in time. What an impact sub Faletau could be, and also it rewards Ryan's fantastic form.

Also I hope Tovey isn't selected for Wales yet, I have yet to see him string together impressive performances. Biggar is starting to mature into the player we hoped he would be 4 years ago and Hook is getting the game time at 10 he wanted from France.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

chris_501 wrote:I have to say that I would opt for Ryan to start ahead of Faletau at this current moment in time. What an impact sub Faletau could be, and also it rewards Ryan's fantastic form.

Also I hope Tovey isn't selected for Wales yet, I have yet to see him string together impressive performances. Biggar is starting to mature into the player we hoped he would be 4 years ago and Hook is getting the game time at 10 he wanted from France.

Tovey is being given the cold shoulder by the dragons and is currently appearing at ten for Cross Keys, suppressing Steffan Jones's selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2