The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

+15
Taffineastbourne
gowales
RubyGuby
Comfort
TBJ9625
maestegmafia
wales606
TycroesOsprey
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
Seagultaf
Knowsit17
ScarletSpiderman
Pot Noodle Miner
JacoFourie2012
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia Empty Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by JacoFourie2012 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

To pick a starting 15 for the first test in Australia was going to be hard for the Welsh management. It is perhaps even harder now, considering Jamie Roberts and possibly Jonathan Davies will miss the tour. Wales want to win as many of the tests as possible, as it is a test tour and the ranking points will be priceless, especially when it come to gaining a favourable pool in the next World Cup. The other issue that has to be considered is the huge opportunity to give some younger players the chance to play. If Wales lose four or five starters for the autumn tests it makes sense to have replacements primed an ready. Besides this is a policy that has already put Wales in a fantastic position. One example is with Gethin Jenkins signing for Toulon and getting on a bit. Would it make sense to start another loosehead?

This the team I would consider playing:

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Blues)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Blues)
13. Ashley Beck (Ospreys)
12. Scott Williams (Scarlets)
11. George North (Scarlets)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
9. Lloyd Williams (Blues)
8. Toby Faletau (Dragons)
7. Sam Warburton (Blues)
6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons)
5. Ian Evans (Ospreys)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
3. Craig Mitchell (Exeter)
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
1. Rhys Gill (Saracens)

16. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
17. Matthew Rees (Scarlets)
18. Ryan Jones (Ospreys)
19. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
20. Mike Phillips (Bayonne)
21. Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)
22. Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Who would you select for Wales?

JacoFourie2012

Back to top Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia Empty Re: Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

i would'nt mind seeing that side against the ba'baas but against a team like Australia a side who will pick their best possible 15 against us, we cant afford to select so many 2nd/3rd choice players, our 1st choice and a number of players pushing to be 1st choice are capable of competeing with the Aussies but if we select a side similar to what you've suggested we will have 3 40+ hammerings and will have learnt very little and morale will have been hit throughout the Welsh camp,

i would go with

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. Charteris
5. Evans
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook/Priestland
11. North
12. JD/Beck
13. Sc.Williams
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. James/Gill
18. A.W.Jones
19. R.Jones/Tipuric
20. Webb
21. Hook/Priestland
22. Byrne/Beck

we have 3 big games and it would be progress to get at least the 1 big scalp in Aus which we can then try to build on in the Autumn Internationals, this type of tour is not 1 to do alot of experimenting, after doing well in the RWC and winning the 6N we dont want to back that up by getting hammered 3 times, we're already forced into abit of experimenting in the centre, i'd like to see Hook given a chance in the 10 shirt but other than that lets not make changes for the sake of it in such big test matches! thats what the ba'baas game is there for surely!
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Wales and their selection headaches for Australia Empty Re: Wales and their selection headaches for Australia

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

To be honest I think we will end up with a few experimental side against the Baabaas.

Li Williams, North, Sc Williams, Hook, Cuthbert, Biggar, Ll Williams; Rh Jones, Owens, Mitchell, Evans, Charteris, R Jones, Tipuric, Faletau (bench Jenkins, Rees, Lydaite, Warburton, Phillips/Knoyle, Beck, Byrne/Halfpenny)

As for the Aus tour I really would assume it would be the GS side with Roberts being replaced by Hook, and Scott Williams replacing Foxy, and a backs bench of Ll Williams, Beck and Byrne.

The touring squad will be an interesting thing. Will the likes of Harry Robinson and Matthew Morgan be taken along for experience of touring with the national side?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

Not too bad until you get to the front row, which is far too lightweight and inexperienced. Maybe have Owens, Mitchell and/or Gill start against the Baabaa's but you have to have at least two of Jenkins/Rees/Jones start the first test. Not only because they're first choice and this tour is top priority but because they've shown before that they can completely dismantle the Aussie scrum. Give Gill, Bevington, Owens and Mitchell a runout in the midweek games, off the bench or in the final test.

It's not yet written in stone that JD2 will miss the tests as many seem to think. I'd consider one of Phillips or Priestland to start.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:44 am

Word coming from the Welsh set us is that there will be two full squads of 22 players: One for the BaBas and mid week games the other for the tests. Good concept, blooding more players and an oportunity to see guys who have played well in Europe and the Rabo at a higher level. I expect to see:
Liam Williams, Shingler, Turnbull, Reed, Biggar, Beck, Webb, Adam Hughes, Tovey, Brew, Lewis Evans, Downs, R Thomas (if fit), I am struggling to name Blues up and coming players who are Welsh qualified.

JacoFouri picked Beck at outside centre, I just cannot ever see that hapening, 12 maybe but he has nowhere near the pace required to play 13 at test level.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by JacoFourie2012 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

Seagultaf wrote:JacoFouri picked Beck at outside centre, I just cannot ever see that hapening, 12 maybe but he has nowhere near the pace required to play 13 at test level.

Which Welsh centre really does?

Scott Williams does I suppose! Erm

JacoFourie2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

I think the centres should be Beck (12) and S Williams (13) - Scott and Foxy always swap around when they play in the centre together, so it's not like Scott isn't used to playing 13(though of course he is a 12)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

If Roberts, JD and lets say Warburton are injured here's my side for the first test

10. Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)
9. Mike Phillips (Bayonne)

7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons)
5. Ian Evans (Ospreys)
3. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
2. Matthew Rees (Scarlets)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Blues/Toulon)

16. Paul James (Ospreys)
17. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
18. Ryan Jones (Ospreys)
20. Lloyd Williams (Blues)
21. James Hook (Perpignan)
22. Lee Byrne (Clermont)

I really think we can win at least 1 test and have to put a marker down in that first test so have to field our strongest possible side.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:If Roberts, JD and lets say Warburton are injured here's my side for the first test

10. Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)
9. Mike Phillips (Bayonne)

7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons)
5. Ian Evans (Ospreys)
3. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
2. Matthew Rees (Scarlets)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Blues/Toulon)

16. Paul James (Ospreys)
17. Ken Owens (Scarlets)
18. Ryan Jones (Ospreys)
20. Lloyd Williams (Blues)
21. James Hook (Perpignan)
22. Lee Byrne (Clermont)

I really think we can win at least 1 test and have to put a marker down in that first test so have to field our strongest possible side.

You have your centres the wrong way around Bedford Beck is a 12 and Scott is a 13

1. Gethin
2. Smiler
3.. Adam
4. I Evans
5. Charteris
6. Lydiate
7. Warbs/Tips
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. JD/Beck
13. Sc Williams
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. James
17. Owens/Hibbard
18. AWJ
19. Tips/Ryan
20. Lloyd
21. Hook
22. Byrne

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm

Well, can we all agree now that Ryan Jones will be in the 22, even if he is playing hooker.

Excellent in the 6Ns and follows up with 2 MOTM performances in 2 weeks, one while playing opposite Lydiate the other Paterson - both of whom are very good 6s.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:41 am

I dont understand why you are picking Ashley Beck at 13 not 12. He is an inside center, he hasnt played at outside center...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

JacoFourie2012 wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:JacoFouri picked Beck at outside centre, I just cannot ever see that hapening, 12 maybe but he has nowhere near the pace required to play 13 at test level.

Which Welsh centre really does?

Scott Williams does I suppose! Erm

JD2 is by a significant margin the fastest Welsh centre, and whilst he is primarily a 12, he is probably the only one with the pace required to play 13 at test level. This is why Wales tend to play JD2 at 13 and Scott Williams at 12, whilst the Scarlets tend to do it the other way around (Regional game tends to be slower). Beck is a smooth illusive runner and has good hands. From what I have seen of him the only question mark is pace. For the Ospreys he frequently drifts into space but then gets quickly closed down. I am sure that Gatland will look closely at this aspect of his game in the squad sessions, although I am not sure that Howely has the capability for such reasoned thought!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:25 am

Ok sorry guys, centre wrong way round but for me I hope Howley does pick them two and not be tempted to go with the more experienced Hook.

Also I would like to see North maybe get a bit of a run there even if against the Baa Baas
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

The only areas that are really up for debate are the centre combo due to Roberts being out for sure and Lock where we have four pretty evenly matched good lads all fighting for two slots.

Centres I would consider would be JD2, Beck, Williams and Warren. Hook as a bench player Flyhalf/Utility Back.

Good to see Knoyle back from the Scarlets, shouldnt take him long to get back to best form. I think he is the one to really challenge Phillips for the Wales shirt, at his best form he is an awesome player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

wales606 wrote:Well, can we all agree now that Ryan Jones will be in the 22, even if he is playing hooker.

Excellent in the 6Ns and follows up with 2 MOTM performances in 2 weeks, one while playing opposite Lydiate the other Paterson - both of whom are very good 6s.

I think Ryan Jones is playing better than Lydiate at the moment. Seeing them head to head on friday, Jones had the better 80mins. I really hope he can continue this new run of form, he's more like the Jones that took the game by storm in 2005
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:41 am

TBJ9625 wrote:
wales606 wrote:Well, can we all agree now that Ryan Jones will be in the 22, even if he is playing hooker.

I think Ryan Jones is playing better than Lydiate at the moment. Seeing them head to head on friday, Jones had the better 80mins. I really hope he can continue this new run of form, he's more like the Jones that took the game by storm in 2005

I agree we are indeed very fortunate to have both of them, that said Shingler and Turnbull are also looking very very useful.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:28 pm

TBJ9625 wrote:

Ryan was playingas part of a very strong and destructive pack whilstDan was playing in our pack which is complete opposite ends of scales unfortunately.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

Assuming JD2/Roberts/Warbs are out (worst case) my 22 would be:

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. AW Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Lydiate
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. Sc Williams
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. James**
17. Owens
18. Charteris
19. Ryan Jones
20. Webb
21. Hook
22. Liam Williams

** I'd prefer if we had 23 man squads and could use Gill/Bevington and MItchell off the bench. As we only have space for 1 prop, I'd give it to James as he almost covers tighthead.
Charteris on form would start above AW Jones...
Webb can inject pace (also would be happy with Gareth Davies)
Hook & Liam Williams for versatility and experience respectively.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

I think Matthew Rees is on a rapid downward spiral and would have him behind Owens, Hibbard and Bennett at the moment - I hope he doesn't become another Gatland dinosaur kept on past his sell by date the same as Cooper and a few others. Harsh; yes but the truth often hurts and I haven't seen Smiler have a decent game for a long time and his throwing in the lineout leaves a lot to be desired thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:19 pm

Owens is someone I think will overtake Rees in the next season or 2 hopefully but I wouldnt discard Rees just yet. His throwing in against France was a thing of beauty in such a high pressure test match.

He's a big game player but agreed he's nowhere near the level he reached pre-injury. Hopefully with a full pre-season he can get back to that sort of form.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

I think Owens has already overtaken Rees
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

wales606 wrote:I think Owens has already overtaken Rees

thumbsup

But Comfort is right in suggesting that we need to give Smiler a chance here - I watch him closely and he's been unconvincing of late but maybe class is permanent - he's trying hard but it just aint coming off and Owens is turning into the player we always thought he could be, dynamic and strong.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

I think its fair to say all of that. I'd like to see Rees given a chance but as you say Ruby, Im very concious too of when that "chance" ends if he doesnt perform.......

Can someone get hold of Hibbard and get him off the pies, hes going to be a rampaging hooker once his fitness is sorted properly.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

Rees still offers something that both Owens and Hibbard do not and that is in the scrum. Owens is improving in that area but Rees is still a significantly stronger scrumager.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

Comfort wrote:I think its fair to say all of that. I'd like to see Rees given a chance but as you say Ruby, Im very concious too of when that "chance" ends if he doesnt perform.......

Can someone get hold of Hibbard and get him off the pies, hes going to be a rampaging hooker once his fitness is sorted properly.

Hibbard is off the pies and playing some of the best rugby of his life at the moment. He has been at the heart of our resurgent pack after dropping a stone and a half.

Hibbard should tour I think.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Rees still offers something that both Owens and Hibbard do not and that is in the scrum. Owens is improving in that area but Rees is still a significantly stronger scrumager.

Don't know about that Hibbard is one of the strongest scrummaging hookers in Europe.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 24 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

Think that number 10 is still the biggest headache.We must have someone better than Biggar for back-up!I say give Tovey a go to show what he can do in a red jersey.It might just work.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 6:50 pm

Tovey hasnt played enough this season, I'm not Biggar's biggest fan, but he has played consistently this season and has plenty of game time, I'd take him as back up to Priestland.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

I agree that we have to try and look at another option at 10 other than Priestland and Hook, if not in the summer, then certainly in the AIs
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

Biggar is on form, Tovey is not.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm

I reckon Biggar will go on tour as IMO (though I wouldn't do it) I think they will use Hook in the center if JD is out as well
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

I know he's young but I'd liketo see Adam Warrenin the squad at some point soon. That boy I'd going tobe a very good player
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

Adam Warren is a very good call. Centres and Locks are the biggest selection issues by far.

I would say that JD2, S Williams, Adam warren and Beck would be four good centres for the tour.

Davies, AWJ, Evans and Charteris for lock.

But I am undecided on who i think the best combos would be.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:22 pm

I know Tovey hasn't done much this season but at his best he is better than Biggar,who I cannot stand as he he comes across a a twp wendyball egotist.
I pray for an inspired insightful selection rather than the sadly obvious.We live in hope!!!!!!

Last edited by Taffineastbourne on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Damn spelling!)

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:28 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I know Tovey hasn't done much this season but at his best he is better than Biggar,who I cannot stand as he he comes across a a twp wendyball egotist.
I pray for an inspired insightful selection rather than the sadly obvious.We live in hope!!!!!!

I think Welsh Selection has been very good...! Not sure what point you are making there.

Biggar has been playing very well and I am a fierce critic of him, I agree he has been a petulant little wotsit and I was very dismayed with his lack of progress over the last two seasons. But since Sean Holley left Biggar has looked very good indeed and is worthy of touring in Australia, he would be an asset not a hindrance. The petulance seems to have evaporated as well....

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:I know Tovey hasn't done much this season but at his best he is better than Biggar,who I cannot stand as he he comes across a a twp wendyball egotist.

I think Welsh Selection has been very good...! Not sure what point you are making there.

Biggar has been playing very well and I am a fierce critic of him, I agree he has been a petulant little wotsit and I was very dismayed with his lack of progress over the last two seasons. But since Sean Holley left Biggar has looked very good indeed and is worthy of touring in Australia, he would be an asset not a hindrance. The petulance seems to have evaporated as well....
Biggar has looked half decent behind a pretty good Ospreys pack.How would Tovey or any other 10 performed in this situation>?
No complaints re selectors,merely pointing out to the Biggar fans that his hand is somewhat loaded and no level playing field has been in place.I trust in our selectors to do the right thing.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Biggar has looked half decent behind a pretty good Ospreys pack.How would Tovey or any other 10 performed in this situation>?
No complaints re selectors,merely pointing out to the Biggar fans that his hand is somewhat loaded and no level playing field has been in place.I trust in our selectors to do the right thing.

Thats a very good point. The ospreys pack have been superb recently absolutely decimating opposition but whether in the "armchair" or not, it is the way Biggar is playing that persuaded me that he is a better player than he was showing earlier this year. His decisions and his verve for the game have improved immeasurably.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Thats a very good point. The ospreys pack have been superb recently absolutely decimating opposition but whether in the "armchair" or not, it is the way Biggar is playing that persuaded me that he is a better player than he was showing earlier this year. His decisions and his verve for the game have improved immeasurably.
I agree.However,the guy has shown his true self and it isnt/wasnt good.If things are dandy he is fine.How is he when things are not so clever??
We have Rhys who is fragile,do we need another potential liability at 10?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I agree.However,the guy has shown his true self and it isnt/wasnt good.If things are dandy he is fine.How is he when things are not so clever??
We have Rhys who is fragile,do we need another potential liability at 10?

If Tovey had any games and a decent run of fitness I would think he would be ahead of Biggar. I think he is the more gifted player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm

That said, i really dont think that flyhalf will be a position up for contentious selection.

Lock and centre will though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

Biggar should tour on form - you have to give credit when someone rediscovers his form and I think he could do a good job in Australia and will challenge Priestland. But it would be great to see Tovey thrive at the Blues and hopefully push for Wales selection next season. Sadly the current Blues situation and the weaker pack they will have next season will not help his chances.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:That said, i really dont think that flyhalf will be a position up for contentious selection.

Maybe.The 10 call is the more important for the future.
Biggar has been tried and found wanting.Tovey missed out through injury and this tour will give him an opportunity to show what he has got.If we miss this chance he may well be missed.We cannot have this happen.I know Tovey's limitations but they are outweighed by his positives.
On a very watered down level it's Dai Watkins/Barry John.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:That said, i really dont think that flyhalf will be a position up for contentious selection.

Biggar has been tried and found wanting.Tovey missed out through injury and this tour will give him an opportunity to show what he has got.If we miss this chance he may well be missed.We cannot have this happen.I know Tovey's limitations but they are outweighed by his positives.

I remember seeing Tovey and Knoyle play at under 16s and I thought they looked like Gareth and Barry... both great players. lets hope they can fulfil that potential

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:

I remember seeing Tovey and Knoyle play at under 16s and I thought they looked like Gareth and Barry... both great players. lets hope they can fulfil that potential

Interesting.....if they fulfil that potential they'll certainly be doing ok! 10 is definitely all to play for. The more I see of Priestland the more I think his distribution/passing is absolutely exceptional and undoubtedly creates try scoring opportunities both for Wales and Scarlets which say Stephen Jones just wouldn't when at 10. But he has obvious flaws too. RP deserves to keep his place for now but would be great to see any of Hook, Biggar and Tovey playing well for Wales off the bench and putting pressure on him to perform consistently.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

Cadair Idris wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:

Interesting.....if they fulfil that potential they'll certainly be doing ok! 10 is definitely all to play for. The more I see of Priestland the more I think his distribution/passing is absolutely exceptional and undoubtedly creates try scoring opportunities both for Wales and Scarlets which say Stephen Jones just wouldn't when at 10. But he has obvious flaws too. RP deserves to keep his place for now but would be great to see any of Hook, Biggar and Tovey playing well for Wales off the bench and putting pressure on him to perform consistently.

Preistland's passing remains superb even in his run of bad form (Would be interesting to see him and L.Williams together as Williams was described as the best passer of a rugby ball in Wales by Howley) - But his tactical kicking has always been variable and is now just abysmal. If he can improve his tactical kicking and perhaps his goal kicking too (1/2 wont always be there) then he should be able to hold onto the 10 shirt. Unfortunetly for him, Hook is improving his overall game at 10 in France and Biggar is getting better at controlling an attacking backline - and both of them are better kickers than Preistland.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:27 am

Seriously though what about lock?

Barnstorming Brad is playing well, Ian Evans has been great all year and AWJ and Charteris hit their best too...?

That is going to be hard work deciding who gets the shirt. All in top form

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

maestegmafia wrote:Seriously though what about lock?

Barnstorming Brad is playing well, Ian Evans has been great all year and AWJ and Charteris hit their best too...?

That is going to be hard work deciding who gets the shirt. All in top form

But again what a nice position to be in, for a few seasons the cupboard had been bare at 2nd row.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:50 am

2nd row selection gives the problem of who to omit whilst 10 selection gives the problem of who to select.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

I think it is important to pick Welsh based players to play for Wales for tours to reward the players like JD2, 1/2 Penny, North, AWJ, R Jones, A Jones, Warbs etc staying in Wales. This may encourage others to stay like Cuthbert, Roberts or others to return. Currently the regional players that play for the national side can earn much higher incomes in a successful Welsh side. I think we currently have enough strength in depth to cope losing the money chasers.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 25 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
TBJ9625 wrote:

Ryan was playingas part of a very strong and destructive pack whilstDan was playing in our pack which is complete opposite ends of scales unfortunately.

Bedford:

Totally agree, it is hard for players to look good is a pack with a weakish front row, this is the reason Lydiate and Toby took so long to break into the Wales side. I still think R Jones has more to offer than both the Dragons boys but a good position to be in for Wales. I still thought the Dragons did well last week the FB did very well he managed to stop Ian Evans and Ryan running at him compared to Piestland for the Scarlets.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next