The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10?

+15
Shifty
glamorganalun
samuraidragon
Morgannwg
wales606
Knowsit17
kiakahaaotearoa
Seagultaf
Taffineastbourne
jay_welsh
maestegmafia
funnyExiledScot
doctornickolas
ScarletSpiderman
Pot Noodle Miner
19 posters

Go down

who should play 10 for Wales in the not so distant future?

Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_lcap51%Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 23 ]
Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_lcap13%Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]
Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_lcap2%Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_lcap33%Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 45

Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Empty Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10?

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:32 pm

Biggar has been the Ospreys clear first choice 10 for a few years now, not even Hook could budge him out of the 10 jersey, Hes the leading points scorer in the RaboDirect Pro 12 this season, he was the leading points scorer in the pro 12 last season and he was also the leading points scorer the season before that!
he's a key player for Wales' most successful region, hes the youngest player to have reached 100 caps for a Welsh region, he has the highest goal kick success rate, hes consistent and hes guided the Ospreys so far to 2nd in the League this season, only behind the mighty Leinster, a side in which the Ospreys beat away from home only a few weeks ago! then backed that up with a 41 - 10 win over treviso and a 33 - 10 away win against the Blues!
hes a good runner, playmaker, tactical kicker and goal kicker, hes still only 22 years old.

hes got 12 caps so far but i feel he deserves to be given a chance in the Welsh jersey again and should start against the Barbarians and then possibly make a proper fresh start in the welsh squad come the Autumn Internationals
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10? Empty Re: Should Dan Biggar be Wales' 10?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

I think he should maybe be given a chance in the Barabarians game, as i have a feeling we will be putting out an experimental side for that game. Another thing that does play in his favour is that Ashley Beck is playing well at the moment (well was playing well, is he injured or just not being played by the Ospreys?), which would mean that if Beck starts Biggar would be a good choice at fly half.

Personally I think that we will take Priestland and Hook on tour, with either Biggar or Matthew Morgan joining the touring party, depending on whether it is decided that Morgan can gain more out of touring than Biggar would.

One thing I am certain of is that Biggar will play for Wales again, and will probably end up out of favour again for a more flambouant fly half, as that is how we are in Wales, we want consistancy, but then we get bored of consistant players with less flair and want flair at the risk of consistancy.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

I think he has been playing a lot better since Tandy took over. He seems to be running the ball more.

He is undoubtedly a talented player but has received a lot of criticism, some justified and some not.

He definitely deserves another chance though. He is as you say still only 22 and still learning but he plays week in week out at 10 for our best region.

I would be happy enough for Wales to take him downunder this summer. Priestland isn't inspiring much confidence in me at the moment.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm

I voted for Biggar. His playing 10 for Wales would be beneficial for Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

Biggar is playing well but Not AChance yet.

Third choice because Tovey is not fit, fourth choice when Tovey is fit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jay_welsh Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

Biggar would do a good job for Wales. He has an accurate boot, very rarely misses tackles, and has a good passing game, so there are more pluses than minuses. In fact, the amount of criticism he gets is quite shocking when you consider his age, and is mostly from people who think the Ospreys should play Matthew Morgan at ten.

jay_welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

Rhys is just fine for me,thanks.He has the promise to become a fine 10.
Biggar appears to be an oaf.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:32 am

The Ospreys pack is currently going very well giving Biggar an armchair ride. Before we say he is back in the mix for a Wales start we need to see what he can do behind a pack that is going backwards or just getting parity. Will he able to keep his head and avoid throwing a strop?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:35 am

Just out of curiosity is Dan Biggar a big player? Or does his name mean that he´s a grower not a shower?

I'm just curious as I knew a guy at my school whose name was Matthew Armstrong. But surprisingly I think he broke his arm at least three times on the school playground (often the spider net) so it proved to be an ironic name.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

He should start the Baabaa's game on current form and deserves to tour Down Under. He's been kicking and playing well and therefore deserves to be considered competition to Priestland. Maybe that'll get the best back out of him. The WC success was built on competition for places after all.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Seagultaf wrote:The Ospreys pack is currently going very well giving Biggar an armchair ride. Before we say he is back in the mix for a Wales start we need to see what he can do behind a pack that is going backwards or just getting parity. Will he able to keep his head and avoid throwing a strop?

Its a valid point, but the cornerstones of that pack are also in the welsh team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 4:04 pm

Biggar and Hook are playing very well

Priestland isnt

Both should be given a chance to stake a claim, but Preistland will remain 1st choice until they prove that they should be
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

Tovey has struggled with injuries but he should be in the running too when fit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Tovey has struggled with injuries but he should be in the running too when fit.

He has been dropped by the Dragons recently

Certainly an option when he is starting for the Blues next season.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:28 pm

On current form Biggar will start at 10 and Tipuric at 7. Can't comment on Hook.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:The Ospreys pack is currently going very well giving Biggar an armchair ride. Before we say he is back in the mix for a Wales start we need to see what he can do behind a pack that is going backwards or just getting parity. Will he able to keep his head and avoid throwing a strop?

Its a valid point, but the cornerstones of that pack are also in the welsh team.

Yes but they will be playing against Australia not a patched up Dragons side!

Biggar has allways looked good when the Ospreys pack is going well, he seems to lose it when he gets put under any pressure. He is only 23 he certainly is not a lost cause and with Priestland off form, Jones at the end of his career and Hook playing in a struggling Perpignan side, he could get a chance this summer.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Yes but they will be playing against Australia not a patched up Dragons side!

Biggar has allways looked good when the Ospreys pack is going well, he seems to lose it when he gets put under any pressure. He is only 23 he certainly is not a lost cause and with Priestland off form, Jones at the end of his career and Hook playing in a struggling Perpignan side, he could get a chance this summer.

I dont necessarily fully agree with you but I do see your point.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Wed 25 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm

Was at the Dragons gaem. Biggar looked very solid and kicked well - but then the silly boy goes and gets himself carded when the O's were in a scoring position. What's up with that!

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:23 pm

samuraidragon wrote:Was at the Dragons gaem. Biggar looked very solid and kicked well - but then the silly boy goes and gets himself carded when the O's were in a scoring position. What's up with that!

I am not a great fan of Biggar but he has been playing so much better under Tandy but as samuraidragon points out is is a biggar (sorry) risk with his temperament and likely to be yellowed. Priestland has been plain krap since the RWC, the only half decent game was against France but much of his play was poor. I would try out Hook for the BaaBaas as he had some game time at 10 rather than being mucked around.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

I'd say if you picked a Welsh fly half on form then Biggar would start, but the problem is we have a lot of potential fly halves and none of them are really miles ahead of the others and none are very consistent.

Dan is very young, just turned 22, and got his first cap 4 years ago! I think he is bit like a Neil Jenkins type player, he is good with a dominant pack, and does well when he is flat and distributing the ball. I think his confidence is flooding back at the Ospreys now which is great.

Truth be told though I would not throw him back into the Welsh team yet, he has been poor for a few years and yet 3 weeks of decent performances and people want him back in the team. Lets let him settle down and be consistent first and let him earn his Welsh spot.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
samuraidragon wrote:Was at the Dragons gaem. Biggar looked very solid and kicked well - but then the silly boy goes and gets himself carded when the O's were in a scoring position. What's up with that!

I am not a great fan of Biggar but he has been playing so much better under Tandy but as samuraidragon points out is is a biggar (sorry) risk with his temperament and likely to be yellowed. Priestland has been plain krap since the RWC, the only half decent game was against France but much of his play was poor. I would try out Hook for the BaaBaas as he had some game time at 10 rather than being mucked around.

Agree with you about Biggar though I disagree about Priestland. He hasn't been as poor as you allude. Admittedly he hasn't been spectacular, apart from the Scarlets game at Franklins gardens, but has still been very good and is clearly the first choice for me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 28 Apr 2012, 11:44 pm

Maes:

How many drop goals has Preistland missed or convertered and now he does not get into position as he has no confidence?
How many penalties has he missed touch?
His goal kicking is so bad he no longer kicks.
His tackling has gone down hill the tackle or lack of tackle against Munster cost the Scarlets.
In the 6N he was standing too deep and made it difficult to break the gain line.
His game against England, we only improved when he went off, he was shocking.
Against Brive I was screaming to get him off and move Jones in from centre and I am not a great fan of S Jones. I stick with my above comments, since coming back from the RWC he has been very poor overall.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:59 am

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Tovey has struggled with injuries but he should be in the running too when fit.

He has been dropped by the Dragons recently

Certainly an option when he is starting for the Blues next season.

He's only been dropped by the Dragons because Dopey Darren is being pigheaded. I know we have to blood Robling or Steff, but Tovey should be on the bench as proven insurance in case Robling or Steff don't play well as a starter.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:11 am

Biggar seems to be maturing of late, gone are his arrogant way's and you no longer see him chopsing at the ref. What I like about his game at the moment is, the fact he is quietly going about his business, if he keeps this up, and I strongly believe this, as I think the Ospreys will have a very good season next time, he will get into the Welsh squad, but until then he is behind Preistland and Hook.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

LordDowlais wrote:Biggar seems to be maturing of late, gone are his arrogant way's and you no longer see him chopsing at the ref. What I like about his game at the moment is, the fact he is quietly going about his business, if he keeps this up, and I strongly believe this, as I think the Ospreys will have a very good season next time, he will get into the Welsh squad, but until then he is behind Preistland and Hook.

Hang on, he was yellow carded last week for chopsing at the ref and is currently suspended for getting 3 yellow cards this season! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:25 am

AlynDavies wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Biggar seems to be maturing of late, gone are his arrogant way's and you no longer see him chopsing at the ref. What I like about his game at the moment is, the fact he is quietly going about his business, if he keeps this up, and I strongly believe this, as I think the Ospreys will have a very good season next time, he will get into the Welsh squad, but until then he is behind Preistland and Hook.

Hang on, he was yellow carded last week for chopsing at the ref and is currently suspended for getting 3 yellow cards this season! Whistle

Yes it was a petty foul... Unnecessary....! Deserves a three week ban to sit and contemplate his actions... He is only 22 and hopefully will mature.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:Yes it was a petty foul... Unnecessary....! Deserves a three week ban to sit and contemplate his actions... He is only 22 and hopefully will mature.

Ronan O'Gara never did, that's just his personality.
Biggar is going to be one of those players everyone loves to hate.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

AlynDavies wrote:

In fairness I did say maturing and not matured. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

AlynDavies wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Yes it was a petty foul... Unnecessary....! Deserves a three week ban to sit and contemplate his actions... He is only 22 and hopefully will mature.

Ronan O'Gara never did, that's just his personality.
Biggar is going to be one of those players everyone loves to hate.

He already is Whistle

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

LordDowlais wrote:In fairness I did say maturing and not matured. thumbsup

You already dug the hole don't jump in it! Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

Yes it was a petty foul... Unnecessary....! Deserves a three week ban to sit and contemplate his actions... He is only 22 and hopefully will mature.

The YC was for a trip, not back-chatting. On the replay's it looked a bit harsh tbh.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:46 am

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

The YC was for a trip, not back-chatting. On the replay's it looked a bit harsh tbh.

It was likely because the referee was sick of all the back chatting and wanted ten minutes peace...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

It is a totally pointless penalty for Biggar.

A one week ban and Ospreys aren't even playing a game!

That'll teach him!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:It is a totally pointless penalty for Biggar.

A one week ban and Ospreys aren't even playing a game!

That'll teach him!

Your right seems unreasonably long considering Ben Youngs of Leicester goth the same for kneeing a player in the face and punching him.

The IRB need to lay down a marker for the length of bans, seems like we are far too harsh in the Celtic nations compared to our anglo neighbours that dish out little for much worse offences than a debatable yellow card for tripping up an opposition player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

Calm down Maesteg - what is the point of a ban if the team aren't playing?

This has nothing to do with Ben Youngs, English rugby etc.

Your the one trolling for an argument now!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Calm down Maesteg - what is the point of a ban if the team aren't playing?

No, I thought that was your point. And I am not enraged in the slightest.

If you have nothing positive to add. To this thread bugger off...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Calm down Maesteg - what is the point of a ban if the team aren't playing?

Is the reason your not a moderator because your so xenophobic?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

Dan Biggar was banned for a week because he has 3 yellow cards this season, standard for all players getting 3 yellows.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

Mutual respect. Remember that please, and posters - watch your language. Everyone is entitled to their opinion OK ta.

Alyn - you say that but Tipuric didn't get a weeks ban for his, just a stern talking to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Mutual respect. Remember that please, and posters - watch your language. Everyone is entitled to their opinion OK ta.

Alyn - you say that but Tipuric didn't get a weeks ban for his, just a stern talking to.

No he got a 3 week ban for one of the yellows which nullified the week ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/15353043 kiss
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

raspberry

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

Now, now Dreamer, no picking on the little people. notworthy
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 29 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

Wish I could see how well hook was playing

At the moment going on form it's bigger, priestland , jones , hook.

I know bigger has had a couple of good games, let's see how he does in the semi final for the Os. I like a player who everyone hates, makes him a target for angry 7,6 and 8s who'll try and nail him with big hits = more room for everyone else. his play has been far better since Johnson and holly have left - weird that.

Don't know what's happened to priestlands kicking - trying too hard?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:36 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Is the reason your not a moderator because your so xenophobic?

RD you are a moderator reading this thread... Some moderation please...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down