The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales.

+12
doctornickolas
bedfordwelsh
idris
Seagultaf
flyhalffactory
Knowsit17
mckay1402
mrzimmerman
Casartelli
Cari
maestegmafia
Glas a du
16 posters

Go down

By popular request

Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Vote_lcap40%Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 8 ]
Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Vote_lcap60%Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 20

Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Empty Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales.

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 May 2012, 1:18 pm

The Outside Half Crown in Wales is up for grabs. King Stephen is on his last legs, it's uncertain whether he will play again. He has been a fixture in the squad since 1997, seeing off the young pretender, James of Hook. 

King Stephen was injured in battle last year and has not looked the same since. At that time Wales were skirmishing with England (again!) and it seemed that without their figurehead the Welsh would crumble. However a quiet monk, Rhys of Priest's Land stepped into the breech. He confounded many as a general (this scribe included) leading his army to a defeat of the English and a successful, indeed all conquering, European campaign. This followed closely on the narrow defeat at the hands of Ireland, sorry France, in the battle for the New World. 

In this interregnum it seemed certain,  as the Gaels of Ireland were put in their place, that this quiet Monk would be given the Crown. However in an incursion to the cabbage fields of Middlesex, Rhys' Achilles heel was ruthlessly exposed by Mercenaries in the English ranks. They showed that if Rhys could be stifled in attack, his defence was poor. As he was put on his backside by Manu Samoa of Manu Samoa, the people sensed Rhys was not crowned yet.

He can not be ruled out of course. He showed excellent touches in the Six Nations. Gatland stuck with him when he saw yellow and that was an important psychological decision. He wasn't the same after. The confidence was dented, the flakiness that Scarlets fans are very familiar with was only just under the surface. Perhaps Gatland can mould him into a man. Australia could make or break him - if he goes. His shoulder is not right and he may opt for rest and surgery. Gatland's own 'Crunchie' ankle injury might be fateful for young Rhys. The other coaches will be involved in a power struggle of their own in the absence of the Boss. If Howley wants to grandstand showing himself to be his own man, how better than to drop the Outside Half? 

For me, much as it pains me to say it given his past antics, Dan Biggar is our man. Forget Fiji (I could point out many poorer games our Rhys has had) forget the prancing and the nonsense; under Steve Tandy Biggar has come of age.

The one incident that convinces me Biggar is ready for King Stephen's mantle more than any other came in the RaboDirectPro12 semi final in the Liberty Stadium. The mightily impressive Biggar was lobbed an egg. His back line was in front of him and the Munster line were bearing down on him. Where Priestland in similar circumstances for Wales threw the ball with some bandages to Roberts or Halfpenny, Biggar tore into the Munster forwards at full tilt. 

Stephen Jones was the King of dealing with poor ball. Carrying it up, recycling it. You can look up Biggar's kicking stats yourself if you want to. You can mull over why he was preferred to Hook at the Liberty. You can see how well he's got his back line going with the new attack minded gameplan for the Ospreys. He may be solid and lacking the finesse Priestland shows in flashes at his creative best. But don't forget that when the chips were down he put his body on the line for his team. For me, the mental toughness Biggar displayed more than compensates. 

Last edited by Glas a du on Sat 12 May 2012, 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Empty Re: Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales.

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May 2012, 1:47 pm

I have been a fierce critic of Dan Biggar, but since the departure of Sean Holley he has come good, improving game on game in every aspect, defence, attack, kicking, running and most importantly game management.

I dont think he would let Wales down, but I still believe in Priestland.

I am very excited to see how this all unveils next year. I am sure Tovey will do a lot of good at the Blues, Biggar will hopefully do more to convince at the Ospreys and Priestland will make or break his prospects down under this summer, should he go rather than take the surgery option.

Which poses the ultimate question, if Priestland doesn't go to Oz, who do Wales favour? Hook, Biggar or AN Other?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales. Empty Re: Biggar is better. Why Dan's the man for Wales.

Post by Cari Sat 12 May 2012, 2:11 pm

I don't think Dan's quite ready for the responsibility of being Wales' main number 10. However, there's no harm in sending him to Oz to get some more international experience.

Can I also add that Ashley Beck would be marvellous as a centre for Wales this summer? Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May 2012, 2:27 pm

Cari wrote:I don't think Dan's quite ready for the responsibility of being Wales' main number 10. However, there's no harm in sending him to Oz to get some more international experience.

Can I also add that Ashley Beck would be marvellous as a centre for Wales this summer? Smile
I remember seeing Beck at Aberavon a few years back and thinking he had some potential, every game since he has gone on to impress more and more... A really exciting player for the Ospreys, and hopefully that will translate well to Wales this summer

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 12 May 2012, 2:27 pm

Biggar and Beck are fine regional players and would do a good job in the 6N playing Gatland's chip and chase tactical game.

Problem they'll have in Aus, is that all Australian backs are fast.

In a speed duel, Biggar and Beck are not your 'go to' men.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May 2012, 2:40 pm

Dont really agree with you there Castarelli. Havent noticed any problems with Beck or Biggars pace this season. For a flyhalf and an inside centre they seem to be plenty quick enough.

They have both scored plenty of tries this season. Biggar scored a beauty last night to open the Ospreys account.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Sat 12 May 2012, 3:47 pm

So which is better? Biggar or Priestland? There's only one way to find out.......FIGHT....sorry I mean POLL!

Black & blue, would it be worth editing the thread into a post to gauge opinion? Your choice friend.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 12 May 2012, 3:54 pm

He certainly has played a lot better under Steve Tandy. It might be worth giving him another go to see how he gets on
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 12 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Biggar is certainly playing better at the minute. This shouldn't spiral into a row between Priestland and Biggar fans, when on form they're both good and we should be thankful of having yet another selection dilemma.

I'm not too fussed whichever one starts with the other on standby. It remains my belief that competition for places will spur us on. That's how it started in 08 before some names started getting picked more on rep than form. There is now more strength in depth than ever and the coaching staff have rediscovered that vein of encouraging players to contend with each other. It draws the best from everyone.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Sat 12 May 2012, 6:18 pm

My vote goes for bighead. I just wish he stoped complaining so much while ball is in play. He got the mouth of a footballer.

He is a born winner though and a perfectionist. I'd love to see him in the red of Wales again, going to watch Wales v barbarians so expecting I'll get my wish then!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 12 May 2012, 6:18 pm

Biggar has had some excellent games this season before Tandy took over the reins, so whilst the new coach must take some credit the young lad has always had it in him to take on the Welsh playmaking role.

I think the biggest holdback on DB is the pathetic section of the Liberty "fans" who have consistently booed him this season. Amazing reaction when you consider how dedicated and loyal an Osprey he is.

Bighead v The Priest is going to roll on well past the summer series for you, and that can only be good for Wales. Both will serve their country well

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 12 May 2012, 6:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Dont really agree with you there Castarelli. Havent noticed any problems with Beck or Biggars pace this season. For a flyhalf and an inside centre they seem to be plenty quick enough.

They have both scored plenty of tries this season. Biggar scored a beauty last night to open the Ospreys account.

Sorry I am with Castarelli, Beck in particular looks one paced, quick off the mark but then seems to get caught too easily, International rugby is a lot quicker than Rabo. Roberts, JD2 and Scott Williams all look substantially quicker, also Priestland looks a lot quicker than Biggar.

Biggar had a great game last night, but he allways looks good behind a dominant pack, Beck I thought was trying too hard and made a number of uncharecteristic errors, including getting caught out ball watching for Munsters try.

With Priestland, North, Halfpenny, Roberts, JD2 and Scott Williams all carrying injuries, both are likely to get their chance in Oz this summer.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 May 2012, 7:10 pm

Could any mods please change the poll to their real names Whistle it's not letting me do it through the edit function *blush*

Last edited by Glas a du on Sat 12 May 2012, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Laugh

Oh i dunno, think those names are a bit fitting Wink

and no posting in red Mr warning Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 May 2012, 7:15 pm

I wanted to attract your attention Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2012, 7:24 pm

laughing

ha well it worked. Will change the names now....

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Sat 12 May 2012, 8:24 pm

Biggar can do everything Priestland can do plus he's an awesome kicker. He's been first choice for the O's for years and he's won a league and still very young. so much experience it's priceless.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 12 May 2012, 8:27 pm

I'm starting to believe that Idris.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Sat 12 May 2012, 8:34 pm

it also shows how bad a coach sean holley is/was.

Look at how amazing all the young players are playing.
Our supposed "best players" have all left and the guys are playing even better!

No holah, collins, henson, hook, phillips, byrne etc etc... must have saved a fortune in wages

beck, biggar, webb, tipuric, dirksen and even fussell are playing amazing

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 12 May 2012, 8:46 pm

Biggar will go to Oz and rightly so and as for the future well we need the likes of him and Priestland and Tovey all turning in top rate performances week in week out and keeping each other on their toes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Sat 12 May 2012, 8:55 pm

What we have now is 3 or 4 quality players in some positions. Byrne is playing awesome, Phillips is back to his best. It wouldnt surprise me if tipuric keeps warburton out of the XV eventually or if they try warburton at 8 to have both of them in. Lydiate is the one who is irreplaceable at the moment.

With more and more players going to france we will see even more good talent play week in week out in wales.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 May 2012, 12:02 am

idris wrote:What we have now is 3 or 4 quality players in some positions. Byrne is playing awesome, Phillips is back to his best. It wouldnt surprise me if tipuric keeps warburton out of the XV eventually or if they try warburton at 8 to have both of them in. Lydiate is the one who is irreplaceable at the moment.

With more and more players going to france we will see even more good talent play week in week out in wales.
Precisely.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 13 May 2012, 6:54 am

Amen.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 13 May 2012, 8:24 am

idris wrote:Biggar can do everything Priestland can do plus he's an awesome kicker. He's been first choice for the O's for years and he's won a league and still very young. so much experience it's priceless.

I still think Priestland is ahead of Biggar at the moment in terms of experience. He's played a significant part in more internationals including a World Cup tournament and shows a lot of maturity for his age. His sometimes erratic kicking and injury are the only things going against him, but they can be overcome. I also agree with the earlier comment that Biggar's gob can be a hindrance which is what lets him down, but I'm hoping that's just his immaturity (he's still only 22). He needs to keep a cool head and stop back chatting to the ref cause they hate that from players and that devalues his own performance. I think he's improving, and like I said, although he's not Wales' first choice for kicker yet, he could get there if he grows up a bit and that takes learning from experience. So, in a nutshell I'd still pick Priestland above Biggar, but Dan needs to be given the opportunities at international level to help him improve.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun 13 May 2012, 9:31 am

Well if we are picking on form then it has to be Biggar.

I will admit that Priestland has done well but he still gives me the jitters whenever he gets the ball.

I think Dan Biggar has taken his dropping from the Welsh squad well and gone away this season and improved in all aspects of his game.

He was being written off by people when he was only 20 and had seen off much bigger names for the O's shirt and Wales.

It was obvious his time would come again. His kicking game, management, tackling are all better than Priestland right now. He's just passed 1,000 points for the Ospreys at 22 years old. Incredible.

I think he will oust Priestland this year if he carries on like he is.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 13 May 2012, 9:55 am

Biggar at the moment is showing some good signs of maturity, at the moment though, I think that he needs at least another season or two before he cements his place, what we have with Dan Biggar is a steady eddie, somebody who is more likely to nail his kicks at goal and out of hand, what he would make I think is a good backup to Preistland, if Wales ever need to close a game out and win territory and build on a lead then he is the man to bring on, he is a little bit like Wilkinson in the fact he will not set the world alight, but he will do all the basics to a very high level, which is suited to a different game plan that Wales are using at the moment, perhaps he could be our plan B. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 13 May 2012, 2:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Biggar at the moment is showing some good signs of maturity, at the moment though, I think that he needs at least another season or two before he cements his place, what we have with Dan Biggar is a steady eddie, somebody who is more likely to nail his kicks at goal and out of hand, what he would make I think is a good backup to Preistland, if Wales ever need to close a game out and win territory and build on a lead then he is the man to bring on, he is a little bit like Wilkinson in the fact he will not set the world alight, but he will do all the basics to a very high level, which is suited to a different game plan that Wales are using at the moment, perhaps he could be our plan B. thumbsup

This myth of Biggar being a steady eddie is quite amusing, if you saw the match against Munster he was always looking for the break, but what he doesnt do is the headling headless chicken runs of his predecessor at the Liberty so viewers are mistakenly associating him with a kicking 10, I would say he is getting more like Dan Carter, "I run when there is a need to run, and pass or kick when there is a need to do that"

I would say he more attack minded than most current welsh 10s, but chooses his options of attack carefully playing more like Priestland than Hook
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 13 May 2012, 4:00 pm

http://v2journal.com/biggar-is-better.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 13 May 2012, 4:30 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Biggar at the moment is showing some good signs of maturity, at the moment though, I think that he needs at least another season or two before he cements his place, what we have with Dan Biggar is a steady eddie, somebody who is more likely to nail his kicks at goal and out of hand, what he would make I think is a good backup to Preistland, if Wales ever need to close a game out and win territory and build on a lead then he is the man to bring on, he is a little bit like Wilkinson in the fact he will not set the world alight, but he will do all the basics to a very high level, which is suited to a different game plan that Wales are using at the moment, perhaps he could be our plan B. thumbsup

This myth of Biggar being a steady eddie is quite amusing, if you saw the match against Munster he was always looking for the break, but what he doesnt do is the headling headless chicken runs of his predecessor at the Liberty so viewers are mistakenly associating him with a kicking 10, I would say he is getting more like Dan Carter, "I run when there is a need to run, and pass or kick when there is a need to do that"

I would say he more attack minded than most current welsh 10s, but chooses his options of attack carefully playing more like Priestland than Hook

Damn it!

I placed a thousand pound bet with Ladbrokes that Dan Biggar would never, ever, be mentioned in the same breath as Dan Carter.

Thought my money was safe!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 13 May 2012, 5:21 pm

Biggar is not the man for Wales this summer. He has found some form in the last few games but then all the ospreys have now that the coaches have changed. However Biggar still has the same intrinsic problems with his game. His first option is to kick not attack. He provides little or no running threat and does not fix the defensive line. His distribution from ten is poor and his passing is often inaccurate. His temperament is very suspect and whist he will nail his kicks he crumnles under sustained pressure. The ospreys front five have pretty much steamrollered everybody recently and given him an armchair ride. Priestland and Hook for the summer given their involvement during the 6n. The trip to Oz is not a time to experiment its a time to grab a couple of victories and move up the rankings.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 13 May 2012, 5:39 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Biggar is not the man for Wales this summer. He has found some form in the last few games but then all the ospreys have now that the coaches have changed. However Biggar still has the same intrinsic problems with his game. His first option is to kick not attack. He provides little or no running threat and does not fix the defensive line. His distribution from ten is poor and his passing is often inaccurate. His temperament is very suspect and whist he will nail his kicks he crumnles under sustained pressure. The ospreys front five have pretty much steamrollered everybody recently and given him an armchair ride. Priestland and Hook for the summer given their involvement during the 6n. The trip to Oz is not a time to experiment its a time to grab a couple of victories and move up the rankings.

Afternoon Tycroes

Can't agree with you, Biggar (as does Priestland) certainly offers more attacking options than Hook, and I was lucky enough to watch Hook have an immense game a few weeks ago playing in France for Perpignan. Whilst I waxed lyrical on how Hooky has improved since the move from Wales, the home fans certainly didnt agree, "fits and starts" was the overall assessment, his decision making was a cause of most concern i.e. he runs when its not on and kicks when he should be holding the attacking line.

I thought that Biggar was the catalyst for most of the attacking movement against (albeit a poor) Munster, his try was as good as any Hook has scored in the last two seasons

Biggar at 10 based on his current form would provide me with more confidence than Hook for the Oz game, who I still think is best at 13 albeit that Sc Williams, Beck, and Jon Davies are the better options. I would start Hook at 10 for the BaaBaas game and if he performs then take him to Oz as a utility back, if he doesnt then............. take Biggar along with Priestland, and Beck with Williams and Davies
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 6:17 pm

I think Dan is a very good player with a dominant pack in front of him, but he won't get that very often when he plays for Wales.

I am still not convinced about who should be fly half for Wales, no one person is consistent or standing out at the moment.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 May 2012, 11:15 pm

But Alyn Wales have had the dominant pack in the majority of their games for the last twelve months.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down