The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brock Lesnar interview

+4
Kenny
Jammy31
bretmeharty
talkingpoint
8 posters

Go down

Brock Lesnar interview Empty Brock Lesnar interview

Post by talkingpoint Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOLgBamCoo

This isn't new, I know it was mentioned on a discussion of Raw last week but I just wanted to get peoples' opinions on Brock Lesnar in this interview. Last year CM Punk gave a 'worked shoot' promo, which has since become famous amongst all wrestling fans for teasing at breaking the fourth wall. Since Brock Lesnar's return after Mania the angle the WWE have gone with is he has brought 'legitimacy' back to the WWE, a reference to all his past accomplishments both in the WWE and UFC. So how far is the self centred, one man army that is the 'war machine' Brock Lesnar the real Brock Lesnar? Certainly the tone and content of that interview made for Raw is not entirely original. Brock made several statements of that nature while in the UFC. He says he doesn't care about the fans or the feel good factor of returning to the WWE, he's just out for himself. Is that really Brock Lesnar or this just a persona he puts on for the media (as I don't think we can call it an exclusively WWE personality).

Brock spoke about how Cena has only become the top guy because of Brock's absence from the company but now he's returned he'll prove Cena for what he is. How does this impact the kayfabe nature of wrestling? Now I know that kayfabe has been broken to a large extent, but as in the Foley/Ambrose controversy it is still a moot point. So will the WWE put Cena over at ER to prove the 'legitimacy' of Cena, especially after his defeat to the Rock at Mania; or will Lesnar go over Cena and propel himself directly back to being the No 1 guy on the roster? (if the rumours of a Brock v Rock main event at Mania 29 are true then I think Lesnar losing to Cena would damage that prospect). In a sense Brock does bring legitimacy not just for his success in the UFC but because of his amatuer wrestling background in winning the NCAA championships. Should the WWE recruit more collegiate wrestlers in future rather than guys who've never wrestled greco-roman or freestyle? Now I know the skillset of a pro wrestler is more than just athletic ability but Kurt Angle is another example of where a 'real' wrestler has made the successful transition to pro wrestling and given it more legitimacy. If you look at who would be able to make the transition successfully into MMA as Brock did then the list would be fairly small I'd imagine, Kurt in his prime would have been one of them, possibly Daniel Bryan, Taker in his prime also, I could see CM Punk in the Octagon as I know he's a fan of MMA in real life but how successful he'd have been would depend on how genuine his muay thai background is. My point is how many genuinely 'tough guys' are there in the WWE? There was that Sheamus/Tatsu story floating round several months back proving big men don't always make real fighters. Should the 'fantasy' of the WWE be grounded in more 'reality'?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Brock Lesnar interview Empty Re: Brock Lesnar interview

Post by bretmeharty Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

I don't think you can even call it his personality that he just puts out on camera, I think that is him, all about he's in it for himself, he's not a superstar, hasn't come back for the fans. Thats all him in my opinion I dont think he does anything unless he can get something out of it. I reference his book.

Compare him with someone like Jericho who loves the business and comes back because he enjoys it. (Even if he can come across as too much of a company man sometimes)

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

I also believe that this is what Lesnar really believes. Part of me thinks that it's the sort of attitude that you gain from becoming a UFC fighter. In that environment, you need to be confident but cocky and egotistical I suppose.
But that just adds to his character in the WWE. Although after seeing him bust Cena's lip open, part of me does think that soon enough he might accidentally hurt someone, bad.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:41 pm

That blood and punch was fake and set up, It amazes me how many people believe things still in 2012. Also by reading his book it seemed he had ill feelings towards the wrestling business in the middle of his first run anyway,id go as far as say it turned to contempt with all the travelling and politics. And that was way before he had anything to do with the UFC

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:55 pm

bretmeharty wrote:That blood and punch was fake and set up, It amazes me how many people believe things still in 2012

Ok, but if it was "Fake and Set Up" as you put it, then it was extremely convincing. Hence why people believed it. It would still have probably hurt Cena even if it was set up. To take a blow like that takes a lot.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

Lesner is either a good actor or he really is on the edge , i think what you see on screen is a slightly watered down real Lesner .
He gives me the impression that he could lose it anytime and that he will do what he thinks is best for himself rather then anyone else .

I have heard a rumour that Vince has Regal watching Lesner just incase he does go all UFC on someone , how true that is i dont know .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:
I have heard a rumour that Vince has Regal watching Lesner just incase he does go all UFC on someone , how true that is i dont know .

That almost sounds like something the WWE would want you to believe to hype up his extreme rules match with Cena, but if its true then it's alittle worrying; Lesnar may be back in the WWE on his terms but he still needs to respect the nature of the business and his fellow wrestlers in the locker room.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

Regal as an efforcer, have i missed something here, or is it a case of just like carwin and cain if you punch Brock back he will turtle?

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

The beauty of Lesnar's promo was that it was that perfect combination of shoot and work that gets people wagging and adds intensity to a feud.

The mistake with Lesnar is him doing stuff WWE style like he did on RAW this week. He needs to be a complete outsider who doesn't do anything like everyone else. Edge's promo sold it perfectly, Lesnar coming back and whooping Cena makes everyone look bad. Even worse than Rocky because at least Rock is seen as a demi-god of the Wrestling world.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

boomdangle wrote:Regal as an efforcer, have i missed something here, or is it a case of just like carwin and cain if you punch Brock back he will turtle?

Regal is a legit tough guy plus is an actual decent amateur wrestler so could possibly take brock down. but could also be for above reason.

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

boomdangle wrote:Regal as an efforcer, have i missed something here, or is it a case of just like carwin and cain if you punch Brock back he will turtle?

that all depends on whether you have the punch power of carwin or cain LOL

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

"The mistake with Lesnar is him doing stuff WWE style like he did on RAW this week."

I found that whole RAW promo with Lesnar very hard viewing........awful awful promo

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:56 pm

MetalMotty wrote:

Regal is a legit tough guy plus is an actual decent amateur wrestler so could possibly take brock down. but could also be for above reason.

I think the fact that Regal isn't intimidated by Lesner , aswell as Lesner does respect Regal has something to do with it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down