The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed.

+7
Seanusarrilius
Soldier_Of_Fortune
azania
88Chris05
manos de piedra
Rowley
School Project
11 posters

Go down

Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed. Empty Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed.

Post by School Project Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

I read a story a little earlier about Saul Alvarez possibly facing James Kirkland should he pass the Mosely fight and it highlighted something... OK, so he has been matched easily in places, but his overall career so far is looking pretty rosey.

The guy is 22, has 40 fights under his belt, with the only blemish being a draw in his career. But he has taken some scalps along the way. When he was fighting Matthew Hatton for the vacant WBC Belt, I thought it was just an easy excuse for the WBC to award another Mexican fighter a belt (which it kind of was).

But I'm really impressed by the matchmaking of Golden Boy for this kid. Kermit Cintron, despite his ability to be as useless as humanly possible on some occassions - was thought to be a test but was blown away. Rhodes was no fool but seemed out of his depth. Cotto was a solid test for him.

Now Mosely (who is shot, as we all know) can provide anyone issues, unless he turns gun-shy like the Pacquiao fight. But a possible match up with Kirkland is tantalising, because you know the guy will fight with heart! Even if it were a short fight with Kirkland getting KO'd. There would be fireworks when it lasts... I hope they make this match up.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed. Empty Re: Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed.

Post by Rowley Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:55 pm

Got to be honest I would struggle to be anything other than disappointed with the Mosley match, genuinely don't think Shane has anything left and even at his peak his form north of 147 was patchy at best. However I do rate Alvarez as a fighter and prior to Mosley the likes of Rhodes and Cintron were not too bad at all.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed. Empty Re: Saul Alvarez - I'm getting impressed.

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

I think with the Mosley fight its not a great match up, but its only an undercard fight playing a supporting act so in that sense Im ok with it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:02 pm

Alvarez will beat Mosely, no doubt. It's no different to the Khan - Barrera match up really, just name to stick on your CV if you will.

But GBP aren't afraid of sticking him in with some live opponents of late, Kirkland would be a real test and something that another young Middleweight Mexican hasn't managed to achieve yet.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

In fairness, I've always been impressed with Alvarez, though I'll acknowledge that the Mosley fight is a disappointing one. Shane should be nowhere near a world title tilt given his recent run of results and performances, regardless of whether it's an undercard fight or not.

I think Alvarez can reign for as long as he wants to at 154 lb, providing Mayweather doesn't come a'knocking. Floyd aside, I don't see too much danger on the horizon. While everyone expects a wildy exciting brawl against Kirkland if they ever meet, I'd hope that Alvarez takes a more disciplined approach, because he'd outbox Kirkland with something to spare if he did.

Cotto's a little too small and a little too shopworn to beat him right now, I'd imagine. Ortiz, when he inevitably steps up, provides a big all-Mexican payday, but another very winnable fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

I get the feeling that Kirkland is just another Jeff Lacy like character really. He powerful but beyond that limited. Thought he got a gift in his last fight to be honest and when his boxing skills were called on they went missing. He was also bounced off the canvas several times by a non punching Japanese fighter.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:13 pm

I think its a shocking match-up. Mosely has been past his best for half a decade and is a shell of what he once was. And no its not like Khan/MAB. That fight was not for a world title and it doesn't matter if its on an undercard. Fact is that its for a world title so whether its an undercard fight or not is irrelevant. As a straightforward match up, it's shocking also.

Kirkland would be a good test for him. James is beatable but can hit hard and is determined if chinny. Saul can be hit and I reckon he's chinny given he got rocked badly by a fat lightweight.

What live opponent has he fought? Cintron is a decent diver. Rhodes has always been mid euro level and Hatton is .. well... Hatton.

I'll give Saul his credit. He is a terrifically exciting fighter and is always ready.

But his level of opposition is slightly of a lower calibre than JCC jnr.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

Molina would be a better test for him if Kirklands last fight was anything to go by.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:22 pm

Molina would have been a cracking fight, he's a big Light Middle too. Another big Mexican fight that would sell well next May!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

Lara is another fight Id like to see after what he did to Williams and Hearns Jr.

Lara v Kirkland would be a fight I dont see going the distance either.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

I'd like Lara to move up to fight Martinez to be honest. I seriously think he would beat Martinez and possibly make it look easy.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

I think Lara should fight Molina again. I think he was lucky to get the draw there.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:38 pm

If Alvarez stops Shane I will be impressed, otherwise it's just that Shane is shot and gets outpointed by the young up and comer.

Lara is one of my fav fighters around the weight,but nobody wants him. Blasting out Hearns after owning Willaims wins him fans, but not fights. Sadly.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

Am sure Molina wouldn't mind a rematch

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:If Alvarez stops Shane I will be impressed, otherwise it's just that Shane is shot and gets outpointed by the young up and comer.

Lara is one of my fav fighters around the weight,but nobody wants him. Blasting out Hearns after owning Willaims wins him fans, but not fights. Sadly.
I hope Alvarez does stop Mosely to give him a reality check, been a Mosely fan over the years but watching him now is pitiful.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

Lara is probably the best boxer at 154. He drew vs molina but Molina is an unorthodox guy to fight. Molina won't get a shot vs Canelo due to his style. It's ugly and boring and NO television station like HBO would sanction it.

Martiroysan, Lara, Kirkland, cotto, Williams are all great opponents for Canelo.

He is only 21 and didnt start his career with the same buzz as an Olympian or a son of a fighter (like Chavez jr) and only had 20 amateur fights. He's learning his trade and is a far better fighter than the one than fought hatton, N'Dou and cotto

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Molina should really be one of the top guys at 154lbs. I had him beating Lara in a close fight, which is now looking a very good performance given Lara's recent form. He got robbed against Kirkland and there is no chance of him getting a rematch there. Been a fan of his since I saw him completely dominate Danny Perez after moving up a weight division and taking the fight at about a weeks notice, shame he fell off the radar a bit and will now find himself in the who needs 'em club. Maybe him and Lara will fight against as I'm not sure Alvarez will want a piece of either of them.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

I think Molina and Lara (who I admit completely slipped my mind when I was weighing up Alarez's chances of long-term 154 lb domination earlier!) may well have no other option but to go at it again, otherwise they'll remain permanently in the 'who needs 'em?' club. Two very fine boxers, though I think that Lara's long-term prospects may rest at Middleweight, particularly with Martinez having had a few too many birthdays.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

I think you'd have to be picky to disregard the sheer volume of fights Alvarez has already had at 22. It's not unlike the Valero scenario, not many of his opponents were seen as potential threats but most people would have to admit that to KO every man you've been in with is impressive. Only Alvarez has fought some decent opposition already as you said.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down