The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Premier League Signings

+38
President Trump
alanqlm
Small Time
whocares
CFCNick
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Geordie
hampo17
LRF
BamBam
Marky
Diggers
mystiroakey
Beer
Smirnoffpriest
super_realist
Bull
erictheblueuk
dublfcynwa
Luke
Ent
Fernando
jeffwinger
Liam
compelling and rich
Crimey
JDizzle
two_tone
TopHat24/7
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
All Time Great
Hero
azania
ncfc_Tooze
Josiah Maiestas
Gregers
The Special Juan
42 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Big Premier League Signings - Page 12 Empty Big Premier League Signings

Post by The Special Juan Tue 01 May 2012, 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here is a list of all the "big movers" to the PL this season. The table contains the player's name, club moved from and to and fee for so we can scrutinise them Wink

[ [/td][/tr]
Player From ToFee
Kevin de Bruyne Genk (Belgium) Chelsea £6.7m
Olivier Giroud Montpellier (France) Arsenal £13.2m
Eden Hazard Lille (France) Chelsea £35.2m
Shinji Kagawa Borussia Dortmund (Germany)Manchester United £13.2m
Marko Marin Werder Bremen (Germany)Chelsea £8.6m
Lukas Podolski Cologne (Germany) Arsenal£11.4m
Jan Vertonghen Ajax (Netherlands) Spurs£7.5m

Any updates would be appreciated.

Other transfers that may/may not be interesting:

Gylfi Sigurdsson - Spurs
Jacob Butterfield - Norwich
Nick Powell - Manchester United
Romain Amalfitano - Newcastle
Steven Naismith - Everton

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Last edited by The Special Juan on Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm; edited 21 times in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Big Premier League Signings - Page 12 Empty Re: Big Premier League Signings

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

I think it is a shame for us smaller teams because we simply can't compete. I mean the gulf in class when Man City beat us 6-1 at Carrow Road was quite frankly embarassing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

Gregers wrote:I think the big name aspect matters in a "look who we signed" kind of way.

Disagree. United have been one of the best at signing players and turning them into big names. Although we have signed big names in the past as well, but you would only need to look at the likes of Veron to see that big name signings don't always pay off

If any United fan is unhappy unless they get a marquee signing then they need to stop playing football manager and live in the real world. These would probably be the same fans who were unhappy with Ronaldo when he replaced the Old Trafford favourite Beckham and look what happened to him

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

Can't see Modric to Chelsea. Would prob have to drop Ramires.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Not really worried about kagawa coping with the physicality, more worried about him being a good player!

Still worth a punt when no one wants to join us for some reason.

Disappointed pogba is leaving, surely he can see spots up for grabs in our midfield? Juve/Italian football in another match fixing scandal too.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

for 12 m- its not the biggest risk in the world lets be honest- would rather see united really trying to bolster the squad mind! it isnt the type of high profile signing we need to seeing from them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

I don't understand what you mean by no one wants to join us

We've gone for two players this summer and got one of them, hardly the end of the world. We'll see when we actually bid for other transfer targets whether anybody wants to come to us or not

For 12m we'll get that back plus interest in commercial revenue in Asia alone, and as much as I've read about this guy he can be a big suigning for us as well

We don't need to go out and get that high profile signing like Chelsea and City ares doing/will look to do, chances are (and no disrespect to either clubs) they feel the need to do that because they don't have Alex Ferguson as manager who can get the best out of (almost) any player

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

United need legs and ball player in the middle. Reputation doesn't make you a good player.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

dont underestimate the power of the big profile player.

remember football is a business. and selling merchedise and haveing the players when working out tv deals is of ultra importance.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

Am I allowed to add Shinji to the table or should we wait until it's confirmed?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm

TSC wrote:Gregers you must be excited about the season ahead. I can't remember a time when my team went out and bought 3/4 big names.

I am worried about us. We are struggling to hold onto our youth players and can't seem to get anyone in. Frankly, it's down to money just now. No one cares about history. Our only hope is to play it down for the next few years in the hope that Chelsea and Man City eventually run out of money, which isn't very likely. Will these high wages and high fees lead to a golden age for English football or the death of it?

I'm so excited, if we can get vdw then our squad will be complete. Also Roman clearly has a love for the club so isn't going anywhere.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm

The PL works out a TV deal, not the clubs under the CBA.

United have a massive Asian following, to them this is a big signing.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

We are missing out on a lot more players than we used to and now non elite players who could develop are turning us down.

Don't care about commercial interests, he needs to be better than dong and park.

Surely you develop a reputation by being a good player? Doesn't mean you will be a success though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:35 pm

Ent wrote:Don't care about commercial interests, he needs to be better than dong and park

shouldn't be difficult :p

In all seriousness though, I haven't seen much of him and what I've learnt of him has been read, but if some if its true I'm quite excited by the Kagawa signing

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

I've seen Kagawa a few times, including the brilliant performance in the German Cup Final. He's a great player who looks like he can play well under pressure.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

has anybody seen the story in the mail

Everton want £20m for Baines if United persue interest

Also Cheik Tiote been mentioned as well

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

Frankly I don't think Everton are in any position to negotiate transfer fees (no disrespect to them).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

gazzyD wrote:
Ent wrote:Don't care about commercial interests, he needs to be better than dong and park

shouldn't be difficult :p

In all seriousness though, I haven't seen much of him and what I've learnt of him has been read, but if some if its true I'm quite excited by the Kagawa signing

I've only seen bits and pieces, he looks decent - my concern is that we won't use him the way Dortmund have and not sure he will be a success otherwise.

As for Baines, not worth £20million but Everton have every right to try and get big money for one of their better players - they won't be able to replace him cheaply and reinforce the squad the way they would like otherwise.

As for Tiote, no thanks - no idea why anyone rates him.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:26 pm

Why are people wanting only big name signings. Kagawa is a very good player, and if he carries on developing like he is when only at the age of 23, he can become an exceptional player in my view. To think just 12m is getting him is fantastic news. If he had 3 years left on his contract I can guarantee the fee would be 20m+.

20m for Baines. No thanks. I'd rather spend that money on Alba and then ship Anderson to Valencia. I know Alba is wanting a move to Barca (Who wouldn't) but I think the financial position Valencia are in, they will take a 18m offer plus a player like Anderson, as it means they get a decent player plus the cash to reinvest. Unless Barca offer a player, I think utd could possibly get Alba. Would prefer him over Baines anyway and we would be getting our money's worth. Also I really want Strootman, looks a fine player, hopefully Van Der Sar can have a word with him.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

martyr_94 wrote:Why are people wanting only big name signings. Kagawa is a very good player, and if he carries on developing like he is when only at the age of 23, he can become an exceptional player in my view. To think just 12m is getting him is fantastic news. If he had 3 years left on his contract I can guarantee the fee would be 20m+.

20m for Baines. No thanks. I'd rather spend that money on Alba and then ship Anderson to Valencia. I know Alba is wanting a move to Barca (Who wouldn't) but I think the financial position Valencia are in, they will take a 18m offer plus a player like Anderson, as it means they get a decent player plus the cash to reinvest. Unless Barca offer a player, I think utd could possibly get Alba. Would prefer him over Baines anyway and we would be getting our money's worth. Also I really want Strootman, looks a fine player, hopefully Van Der Sar can have a word with him.

We need some big players, they tend to (but not always be) big names.

Alba is likely to join Barcelona, not sure why we should offer a lot more than them and a player when at the end of the day it will be his decision. A transfer value of £25+million for a fullback is ridiculous imo. Plus it means getting rid of Anderson and whilst he is awful it leaves us a body short in an already poor/weak midfield.

Baines is a pretty good player and proven in the PL, if we could get him for a bit less I'd be happy enough.

PS the irony of wanting the name over the established PL player?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

well the last thing united want or need is to lose its asian support..united and bayern are the only top teams at present i can think off that dont have what seems like unlimited spending power.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well the last thing united want or need is to lose its asian support..united and bayern are the only top teams at present i can think off that dont have what seems like unlimited spending power.

Not sure where this has come from?

Don't think we need Kagawa to remain big in Asia, you can just tour there and buy parks and dongs. I'd hope Kagawa has been purchased for his footballing ability and not commercial interests.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 05 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Crimey wrote:The language barrier may prove a problem off of the pitch as he'll struggle to settle in, but on the pitch I don't think it'll be a huge problem. Tevez has been a success at every club in the Premier League despite not knowing any English.

I'm not sure how "big" of a name they are matters at all. Manchester United tend not to make big name signings, Ronaldo replaced Beckham, Beckham himself replaced Kancheslkis. United are more prone to signing potential and turning them into greats.

What????? How long has he been in England? Is this true or an urban myth? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

Ent wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:well the last thing united want or need is to lose its asian support..united and bayern are the only top teams at present i can think off that dont have what seems like unlimited spending power.

Not sure where this has come from?

Don't think we need Kagawa to remain big in Asia, you can just tour there and buy parks and dongs. I'd hope Kagawa has been purchased for his footballing ability and not commercial interests.

Big Premier League Signings - Page 12 56390

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Jun 2012, 4:58 pm

I know stats don't mean a lot but Kagawa has contributed more goals (assists + goals scored) than either Ribery or Robben (in the Bundesliga).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18330894

Honestly, did anyone here see the German Cup Final?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 5:10 pm

Think its pretty close on the assists and goals front, ESPN stats (usually pretty reliable), plus Robben only managed 29 starts this season and you've to take into account he and Ribery are in the same team on the flanks not behind a striker.

My main issue is where we will use Kagawa, I can't see us using him behind the main striker like Dortmund did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dg3Kdh_rtI

A vid of his goals and assists for anyone who hasn't seen anything of him (not ideal I know but better than nothing).

Hope he turns out good as he appears to be our major signing this year.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

i think we have beem crying out for some players who are technically gifted and can make that forward pass (getting scholes out of retirement showed our lack of class in middle)

and regards to where he will fit i think he can play either wing and in the hole for us. hernadez is very predictable and only at his best when space to run in behind, something united very rarely get. and while i thought wellbeck did well this season i dont see him becoming truely world class. rooney no longer plays the deep role as well as he used to, his touch seems to have gotten worse and his strongest postion imo his playing the poaching role so therefore we can play kagawa in the hole behind him. which would give us abit of a better balance and help the midfield.

i also agree with the point that we need a ball winner in there. carrick and scholes while being great on the ball dont win enough of the ball back because of thier lack of legs. id be suprised if flecthers going to make a come back, and we cant rely on scholes for too long or for playing back to back games.

there a few contenders out there but if were going in for a everton player id rather have fellaini over baines (not a total ball winner i know). i see baines as a decent LB nothing more, certainly not worth anywhere 20mil. so a team of carrick or scholes and fellaini with front players of kagawa, valencia, nani/young and rooney would be alot stronger imo. would also have a hell of alot more options of the bench

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

I think we've got to be a bit more ambitious than Fellaini, also can't see Welbeck being dropped as he has improved all season and was linking up with Rooney well towards the end of the season.

I take your point about Rooney having an off season apart from goal scoring but don't think he can lead the line properly on his own (some of our worst performances last year came with him solo up top) and he still has plenty to offer as a number 10 with good support.

Really Kagawa at his best plays in the positions we are already strong in, number 10 and wide.

Even a change in formation to 4231 would mean dropping one of our strikers or one of Valencia/Nani/Young.

It is a signing that gets more and more bizarre the more I think about it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

i think Kagawa is more than capable of playing slightly deeper. I think he will be a player from what I've seen, who will drive forward and make runs into the box, something we have missed, a midfielder who drives forward with the ball and get's goals and assists. That's why I believe we need a genuine holding midfielder, who will allow Kagawa to move forward knowing that there is someone permanently there waiting for the counter, that is why I want Strootman next. He has a good pass which will be key but is also quite a strong lad who reads the game well. I'm happy with Kagawa, he's something that we have needed in the midfield, someone who drives into the box.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

martyr_94 wrote:i think Kagawa is more than capable of playing slightly deeper. I think he will be a player from what I've seen, who will drive forward and make runs into the box, something we have missed, a midfielder who drives forward with the ball and get's goals and assists. That's why I believe we need a genuine holding midfielder, who will allow Kagawa to move forward knowing that there is someone permanently there waiting for the counter, that is why I want Strootman next. He has a good pass which will be key but is also quite a strong lad who reads the game well. I'm happy with Kagawa, he's something that we have needed in the midfield, someone who drives into the box.

Yeah he has driven into the box for Dortmund in their formation, it is not really as easy in a 442.

I'd rather fail to qualify for the CL than play a dedicated holding midfielder, I hate them with a passion - I am probably in a minority here though.

On Kagawa we will see, I just have an uneasy feeling over the whole thing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:38 am

The Pogba account on Twitter that stated he was in talks with Juve was fake.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Heard he was spotted in Turin though. They should ban twitter.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:39 pm

I have been impressed with Kagawa and he should be good signing for Man U.

I think its a passing of the torch from Scholes to him as I see him being used in the same mold and not someone being deployed behind the striker.

Depending on whether he can handle the pace and the rigors of the Prem (no mid season break here!), he should be a good signing. Especially for £12mill.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:43 pm

Why are people complaining about Kagawa already? Give the guy a chance! His stats stand up to anybodies, he has been an integral member of a successful side and if he had longer his contract, the fee would have been a lot higher. Just because you can sign someone for a bargain price doesn't meant it isn't as 'big' a signing. Van der Vaart only cost Spurs £8million, I'd say he was a pretty big signing.

As for where he'll play, we know Fergie likes to rotate his squad a lot, so it isn't really about nailing down a 'first XI' spot since there isn't really a 'first XI' at United. Kagawa will probably contribute from CAM and LW. Giggs and Scholes will play less again this year and Anderson will probably leave, so it makes perfect sense.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

Niko Kranjcar looks to be heading to Dynamo Kiev, which is a shame as i think he's a decent player who could do well in a lot of PL teams.

Also Chelsea look likely to loan Kevin De Bruyne to Southampton for the season, so he can get PL experince.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Also Chelsea look likely to loan Kevin De Bruyne to Southampton for the season, so he can get PL experince.

And because Chelsea have a weird obsession about buying talented Belgian players and not using them.

Just you see, Hazard will be sat on the bench all year.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:45 pm

I don't understand the United fans who are disappointed with the Kagawa signing. This just smacks once again of the usual England/Premier League blinkered vision fan type who know's nothing about foreign leagues. That same type who said Newcastle would get relegated because they bought nobody's from France (still makes me laugh).

Daily Mail headline reads 'Shinji Kagawho???' Typical!

The guy is a sensational talent. His passing ability and movement is simply classy and he was key to guiding Dortmund to the German League title for the second year in a row. United lack the goals and creativity from central midfield and this guy will be the answer. His link up play with Lewandowski was immense and this should help Rooney push up the field and lead the line allowing Wayne to flourish and ultimately score more goals. Robben & Ribery both failed to outperform this guy which tells you all you need to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

John wrote:I don't understand the United fans who are disappointed with the Kagawa signing. This just smacks once again of the usual England/Premier League blinkered vision fan type who know's nothing about foreign leagues. That same type who said Newcastle would get relegated because they bought nobody's from France (still makes me laugh).

The guy is a sensational talent. His passing ability and movement is simply classy and he was key to guiding Dortmund to the German League title for the second year in a row. United lack the goals and creativity from central midfield and this guy will be the answer. His link up play with Lewandowski was immense and this should help Rooney push up the field and lead the line allowing Wayne to flourish and ultimately score more goals. Robben & Ribery both failed to outperform this guy which tells you all you need to know.

Good post mate. It does annoy me the number of people so quick to write off a player just because he isn't a household name

I'm really excited about this transfer and I've not seen him play, just read about him

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

John wrote:I don't understand the United fans who are disappointed with the Kagawa signing. This just smacks once again of the usual England/Premier League blinkered vision fan type who know's nothing about foreign leagues. That same type who said Newcastle would get relegated because they bought nobody's from France (still makes me laugh).

Thats just hyperbole though, Robben, Ribery and Kagawa's stats were very similar with Robben playing less games and we can't forget that Robben and Ribery are in the same team. He also is unlikely to be used in the same manner as he was at Dortmund. Robben and Ribery did much better in the CL.

We've also got to consider that his position is one we are strong in with Rooney for number 10 and Nani/Young/Valencia for the wide positions and whilst you can never have enough good players we have far more problems at fullback and in central midfield. Essentially we are dropping a good player to play Kagawa and not sorting out any of our weak areas (yet). This would also have been a problem had Hazard signed for us.

If he can play in centre midfield that would be great, we need good players in that area - from what I've seen and read I don't think he can.

He will be given every chance (and I hope he is brilliant) but I can see why many fans are apathetic towards his signing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:38 pm

Bayern and Inter discussing a deal for Thomas Mueller.

Personally I think hes massively overrated.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Bayern and Inter discussing a deal for Thomas Mueller.

Personally I think hes massively overrated.

He's had a poor season. He burst onto the scene at the WC but seems to have stagnated recently. Trouble for him is I see him as a CF not a RM, simply because he hasn't the pace or the crossing ability out wide. With Kroos in decent form in that position and Ribery and Robben the main men, I think Bayern will be licking their lips if they can get 18-20m for him, being a young German international they will want that amount.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

Pogba to Juve is confirmed.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Pogba to Juve is confirmed.

Another blow to united, honestly they are coming thick and fast - not what you want when Fergie has only a few seasons left.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:07 pm

If he was that good, United wouldn't have gotten themselves into this position though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:23 pm

Ent wrote:

Another blow to united, honestly they are coming thick and fast - not what you want when Fergie has only a few seasons left.

not that fussed if im honest, just like morrison if young players think there too big for one of the biggest clubs in the world before they have even broken into the first team then shows what characters they are. dont want them characters at our club, were not city

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Ent wrote:

not that fussed if im honest, just like morrison if young players think there too big for one of the biggest clubs in the world before they have even broken into the first team then shows what characters they are. dont want them characters at our club, were not city

United let Morrison go due to his attitude, we wanted to keep Pogba.

Sends negative messages, we can't sign our main targets or hold onto our young talent.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

Barca plan to approach Chelsea over David Luiz.

Wouldn't be cheap 18 months after they paid 20m for him. Chelsea short of young, good defenders too.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:29 pm

Valencia and Barca agree 12m euro deal for Jordi Alba. Abidal's replacement.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

I like david luiz- i hope he hangs about

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm

Seems a bit dim to play CB full time.
GSC