The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance

+5
horizontalhero
Seanusarrilius
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
School Project
9 posters

Go down

The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance Empty The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance

Post by School Project Thu 03 May 2012, 8:48 pm

I'm an avid supporter of the Ring Magazine belt. It is the only belt that really matters, but there are some changes that worry me a little. Here they are:

The fact that THE RING has championship vacancies in 11 of the 17 weight divisions is stark evidence that the Nos. 1- and 2-rated fighters rarely face one another in the modern boxing era.

The goal of THE RING has always been to determine the true champion in every division. Clearly, the long-standing policy has not been effective at meeting this objective.

The editors at THE RING had two choices – do nothing, which would perpetuate the status quo, or take action.

After many long discussions, we decided to update our Championship Policy in an effort to encourage top fighters to face one another and create more championship fights while maintaining the high standards long associated with THE RING.

“We didn’t want to sit back and continue to say, in effect, ‘Oh, well. We can’t force these guys to fight each other so there’s nothing we can do,’” said Michael Rosenthal, Editor of THE RING Magazine.

“We believe we’ve come up with a new policy that will pump more life into the sport and hopefully motivate the best to fight the best, which is what fans deserve.”

Here’s a look at the updated policy:

NEW CHAMPIONSHIP POLICY

Championship vacancies can be filled in the following two ways:

1. THE RING’s Nos. 1 and 2 contenders fight one another.

2. If the Nos. 1 and 2 contenders choose not to fight one another and either of them fights No. 3, No. 4 or No. 5, the winner may be awarded THE RING belt.

CHAMPIONSHIP RETENTION

THE RING also wants to encourage its champions to face worthy opponents. With that in mind, here are the six situations in which a champion may lose his belt:

1. The Champion loses a fight in the weight class in which he is champion.

2. The Champion moves to another weight class.

3. The Champion does not schedule a fight in any weight class for 18 months.

4. The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight).

5. The Champion does not schedule a fight with a Top-5 contender from any weight class for two years.

6. The Champion retires.

The fact that if the No.1/2/3 don't fight each other, they will look to the Top 5. (having the Number 5 ranked fighter fight the number 4 for example) doesn't sit well with me and just seems they are likely to make their belt a little watered down.

Is it just a reason to give out the remaining 11 weight classes? It just seems a bit forced.

How do you guys feel?

School Project

Back to top Go down

The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance Empty Re: The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 03 May 2012, 9:55 pm

Far too complicated for me. Its not rocket science just go back 30 or 40 years ago and see how it was done back then and implement it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance Empty Re: The Ring Magazine belt - About to lose its relevance

Post by School Project Thu 03 May 2012, 10:16 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking OneTwo...

If the best don't fight the best... then there's no best. If the Number 1 is beaten by the Number 2,3 or 4... then they've beaten the best = THEY are the Champ.

Simple.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 03 May 2012, 10:21 pm

It says that IF the number one or two face a top 5 fighter then the title is on the line not 3 facing 4/5 or 4 facing 5, doesn't seem much different to how it was with a little bit more leeway.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 03 May 2012, 10:53 pm

Don't like it at all. Boxing is having work its way around the fact that the powers of the sport are ruining it, and personally, I am sick of making do

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 03 May 2012, 11:55 pm

Think we need to press on with the idea of our 606 Champs. We highlighted Wlad K as the 606 Heavy. We just have 46 other champs to recognise now!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 04 May 2012, 12:08 am

People have to remember that boxing is and was the sport of the people. When the Boston strong boy was competing in bare nuckle contests boxing was the biggest spectator sport in America.

Its the sport of the people and we should claim it back.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 04 May 2012, 1:49 am

[quote="School Project"]I'm an avid supporter of the Ring Magazine belt. It is the only belt that really matters, but there are some changes that worry me a little. Here they are:

The fact that THE RING has championship vacancies in 11 of the 17 weight divisions is stark evidence that the Nos. 1- and 2-rated fighters rarely face one another in the modern boxing era.

The goal of THE RING has always been to determine the true champion in every division. Clearly, the long-standing policy has not been effective at meeting this objective.

The editors at THE RING had two choices – do nothing, which would perpetuate the status quo, or take action.

After many long discussions, we decided to update our Championship Policy in an effort to encourage top fighters to face one another and create more championship fights while maintaining the high standards long associated with THE RING.

“We didn’t want to sit back and continue to say, in effect, ‘Oh, well. We can’t force these guys to fight each other so there’s nothing we can do,’” said Michael Rosenthal, Editor of THE RING Magazine.

“We believe we’ve come up with a new policy that will pump more life into the sport and hopefully motivate the best to fight the best, which is what fans deserve.”

Here’s a look at the updated policy:

NEW CHAMPIONSHIP POLICY

Championship vacancies can be filled in the following two ways:

1. THE RING’s Nos. 1 and 2 contenders fight one another.

2. If the Nos. 1 and 2 contenders choose not to fight one another and either of them fights No. 3, No. 4 or No. 5, the winner may be awarded THE RING belt.

CHAMPIONSHIP RETENTION

THE RING also wants to encourage its champions to face worthy opponents. With that in mind, here are the six situations in which a champion may lose his belt:

1. The Champion loses a fight in the weight class in which he is champion.

2. The Champion moves to another weight class.

3. The Champion does not schedule a fight in any weight class for 18 months.

4. The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight).

5. The Champion does not schedule a fight with a Top-5 contender from any weight class for two years.

6. The Champion retires.

The fact that if the No.1/2/3 don't fight each other, they will look to the Top 5. (having the Number 5 ranked fighter fight the number 4 for example) doesn't sit well with me and just seems they are likely to make their belt a little watered down

That's not what they are saying- if the no1 and 2 won't fight each other, then which ever of them fights the next highest ranked contender will be champion. they aren't saying that the n03, 4 or 5 etc will be crowned-for example if the no1 ranked fight beats the no.4 conntender, but the no.2 beats the no.3, then the no.2 will be made champion. I think that these moves by the ring are sensible.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 May 2012, 8:59 am

Rules 2 and 4 are incompatible.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 04 May 2012, 9:39 am

The ring is accommodating for the fact the best don't fight the best which is sad.Things like this make me believe that we will never see another golden period for the sport. Unfortunately I think it will be more of the same. The men at the top are making money so they couldn't care less about the sport.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 04 May 2012, 9:49 am

Doesnt look to be too much different to the way it is now to be honest. Its not always that there is a clear number 1 and number 2 guy in the division in any event.

Makes me wonder how Wlad ended up with the ring title under the old system though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 04 May 2012, 9:53 am

Did he not win it when Vitali was retired?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 04 May 2012, 9:55 am

No he was only awarded it after the fight with Chagaev I believe. By which stage Vitali had won back and defended his WBC title.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 May 2012, 10:01 am

I would think Vitali lost it when he retired, then when he came back in 2008 Peter or Gomez weren't ranked high enough for him to get it back.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 04 May 2012, 10:06 am

But supposedly under the old system the belt was only awarded if the top two faced each other. Wlad was awarded it after the Chagaev fight who Im guessing was not the number 2 rated man. Up until then it had been vacant since Vitali had retired.

Dont really have any issuing with Wlad having the title just seems strange that he would have been awarded under the criteria that the top two had to face each other in order to get it. Possibly the Ring just made allowances for the fact the two were brothers and never going to fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 04 May 2012, 1:47 pm

The ring belt should be awarded to the number 1 in the division.

I guess we will have to rely on knowing the linear champions now =/

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down