The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proven Versatile

+17
bluestonevedder
Biltong
emack2
PerryGee
ChequeredJersey
glamorganalun
21st Century Schizoid Man
sugarNspikes
LondonTiger
Geordie
flankertye
mckay1402
Bullsbok
fa0019
robbo277
Majestic83
anotherworldofpain
21 posters

Go down

Proven Versatile Empty Proven Versatile

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 07 May 2012, 4:51 pm

So is rainy here again and I am thinking on some waste of time and I come to this idea:

It is common thing for to have a prop play both sides of scrum particular if he name for the bench.

We also see many players who cover inside and outside centre (or second five eight and centre if you are from pacific place).

But who is the most versatile player from professional times?

My pick might be Toeava. He played of course for all blacks. He has been picked to play 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 starting or off the bench to cover without moving around for injury.

Can you think of anyone more positions? or maybe more versatile and unlikely change such as flanker to wing or something!

And please not to mention Bergamasco when he was shift to 9 because was a disaster and the sign of insane coach!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Proven Versatile Empty Re: Proven Versatile

Post by Majestic83 Mon 07 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Adam Ashley-Cooper has played 11,12,13,14 and 15 but probably to more success than what Toeava has. Chuck in James O'Connor too, not played 13 but played 10.

Radike Samo has played back row/second row and also on the wing for Australia.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 07 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Good points yes but I dont think much about Adam Ashley-Cooper. I watch him miss so many tackles. O'Connor is too little for centre.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 07 May 2012, 5:07 pm

Really, AAC has one of the highest tackles success rates in the super xv. James O'Connor isn't that small, he isn't the big crash ball centre but is very handy at 12 and makes his tackles .

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 07 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Austin Healey used to play 9, 10, 11, 14 or 15, for Leicester and England.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 07 May 2012, 5:21 pm

I would say Mike Catt and Frans Steyn are up there with Healey.

Mike Catt was a world class Flyhalf, Centre and Fullback and had more than enough pace to burn on the wing. He could tackle, pass, kick and run with the ball all to a high standard and was a genuine first receiver right up till his mid 30s.

Frans Steyn less so. He is an excellent second five-eigth who can play flyhalf and fullback to a very high standard and actually was first capped as a wing.... this was before he packed on the pounds.

In terms of forwards... Danie Russouw, Tim Rodber, Abdel Benazzi & Martin Corry could all played Lock, blindside and no8 to a high standard.... I think thats as versatile you'll get for a forward excluding mid game injuries where some players fill in as there is no one else left.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 07 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Frans Steyn 10 ,12,13,14,15 for Springboks (Debuted on the wing )
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 07 May 2012, 6:04 pm

Gareth Thomas. Played all backs positions and rugby league
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 07 May 2012, 7:54 pm

Pienaar anybody?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 07 May 2012, 8:25 pm

Tim Rodber, Abdel Benazzi

Aahh two class players there....Rodber is one of my favorite players ever...and have had the fortune (or actually the misfortune Erm ) to have played against him....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 07 May 2012, 9:20 pm

Is this where we mention Bergamasco again?

There are a lot of similarities between 10-15 so you almost expect plenty of backs to have played multi-positions.

As already mentioned Healy started tests at 9, 10 and Wing while covering centre and Full Back during some matches.

What about Philippe Sella and JPR Williams, clkassy backs who also put in stints as Flankers?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 07 May 2012, 9:24 pm

Delon Armitage has played full-back, wing and centre.

I hear Mike Phillips occasionally has a break from being a flanker and fills in at scrum half. Wasn't that impressed though.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Pain - you really are flakey my friend - brilliant !

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 07 May 2012, 11:13 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Gareth Thomas. Played all backs positions and rugby league

There is a joke or two in this statement.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 07 May 2012, 11:45 pm

laughing

I understand this joking. There is very amusing.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 08 May 2012, 12:04 am

Pascal Ondarts
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee Tue 08 May 2012, 3:26 am

fa0019 wrote: Mike Catt was a world class Flyhalf, Centre and Fullback and had more than enough pace to burn on the wing. He could tackle, pass, kick and run with the ball all to a high standard and was a genuine first receiver right up till his mid 30s.

I think I'd disagree with you about him being world class at Fly Half and Full Back, probably Centre too.

Granted, he did a great job for England in 2003, but he was very much a successful Plan B, he was not first choice for most of his career.

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 08 May 2012, 3:48 am

On his early career Dan Carter played 10,12,15 for Canterbury,Crusaders and the All Blacks.He has also covered wing and Scrum half briefly.Itwas common practice in Nz for the 5/8 to cover 10,12 and 15.Also Flankers playing left and right,full backs covering wings and vice versa goes back years.Stu Wilson,Allan Hewson and Bernie Fraser for Wellington and the AllBlacks.Hewson being a great goal kick,and counter attacker but poor defensively especiallly under the high ball.The recent practice in NZ of players covering 6,7,8 in my opinion is fallible.
Masoe.Luaki,Messam.vito,O`Siaolo,Thomson all got messed about so no one cemented a regular place in the AllBlacks.Rodney O being the exception.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 08 May 2012, 7:14 am

From an SA perspective.

Frans Steyn - 10, 12, 13, 14, 15
Patrick Lambie - 10, 12, 15
Francois Hougaard - 9, 14
Schalk Burger - 6, 7, 8
Willem Alberts - 7, 8
JP Pietersen - 14, 13
Gio Aplon - 11, 14, 15
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 08 May 2012, 9:31 am

PerryGee

In terms of Catt being world class.. well he was the best fullback in Europe in the mid 90s and perhaps only Cullen and Joubert were better.

It wasn't his natural position (second five eigth) which he was a supreme talent esp. post 99RWC and prior to his injuries which allowed Tindall to get a break in the inside centre position... much to Jonny Wilkinsons detriment as SCW found no one to replace his unique skills... Grayson, Hodgson, King were all tested... none were adequate.

I also recall him being the starting 10 in 98 when ENG broke SA's world record 17 wins in a row run at twickenham where he ran the show on the world champs and best team in the world at the time. If that doesn't show he was a more than capable 10 then there is little else.

His weaknesses were his place kicking and him probably being maybe 1 or 2 steps ahead of his fellow players.... when he made a break he would always look for the offload and his backrow/nearest supporters were almost always not close enough to him to retain possession.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 08 May 2012, 9:37 am

I'd say David Wallace.

The man could play 6, 7 or 8 to international standard, and also turned out on the wing.

Great combination of pace and power.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 08 May 2012, 9:40 am

I also recall him being the starting 10 in 98 when ENG broke SA's world record 17 wins in a row run at twickenham where he ran the show on the world champs and best team in the world at the time. If that doesn't show he was a more than capable 10 then there is little else.

I assume you mean ended the springboks run to end up only equalling the world record of 17 wins in a row?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 08 May 2012, 12:05 pm

BB.. yes, I could have put it better. They ended SA's record and broke the cycle of consecutive wins... not the actual record.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 08 May 2012, 12:26 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

There is a joke or two in this statement.

Nope. what's the joke? He may not have set the world alight in rugby league but he still played and scored. In union he played wing, centre and fullback so I'd say that was fairly versatile
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 08 May 2012, 1:01 pm

Shayne Philpott(y) could cover any position in the backline. Unfortunately all as bad as each other.

I think when you talk of great versatility no one can hold a candle to Radike Samo. I can only think of Eric Rush who has turned out on the wing and as an openside who has played in the backrow and in the backs. Nowadays shifting round in the backline seems all too common, albeit to varying effects.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 08 May 2012, 1:06 pm

If you want versatility,then what about Brad Thorn.

Won a World Cup medal playing rugby league,playing front and second row,transfers over to rugby union and wins a World cup medal playing lock.No one has ever done that and I dare say no one else will.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 08 May 2012, 2:30 pm

Peter Richards now retired I believe has played every position in the backs barring 10. As I recall in the '07 WC we also saw him packing down in the flank in one game. Thats one position that Austin never covered!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 08 May 2012, 2:41 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: If you want versatility,then what about Brad Thorn.

Won a World Cup medal playing rugby league,playing front and second row,transfers over to rugby union and wins a World cup medal playing lock.No one has ever done that and I dare say no one else will.
It kinda helps if you play for the best sides (by far) in both sports. If he'd played for Papua New Guinea in League and Italy in Union it would be more of an achievement. I hear he was considering playing for Brazil in Soccer but then opted for Spain instead.

Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Didn't Andy Farrell first get capped in the front row in League? Ended up a second five eigth in union albeit not a great one.... given enough time he would have proved an excellent union player IMO.

Kia... Pierre Spies has played for the boks and bulls as a winger... although I don't think he has ever started on the wing for the boks. He was first capped in SR as a winger.
His da was a famous SA olympian sprinter.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 3:20 pm

Good shout - did he ever play 10 though?

Still 11 - 15 and played League is pretty versatile.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 08 May 2012, 6:57 pm

fa0019 wrote:Didn't Andy Farrell first get capped in the front row in League? Ended up a second five eigth in union albeit not a great one.... given enough time he would have proved an excellent union player IMO.

Kia... Pierre Spies has played for the boks and bulls as a winger... although I don't think he has ever started on the wing for the boks. He was first capped in SR as a winger.
His da was a famous SA olympian sprinter.

The point being,that there is nothing in rugby League that bears any resemblance to what the role is of a rugby union lock,Andy farrell never played lock (rugby union) and I'm not sure if he won any World cup medals.If Thorn goes on to win a heineken cup medal he will have been victorious in both Hemispheres as well (Crusaders).

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 08 May 2012, 7:09 pm

Still think Radike Samo is a bigger jump from number 8 to wing and I think he's popped up in the centre as well and I'm not sure about the second row. That's versatility. Thorn had a lot more of a leap than someone like JR. Wasn't sure about Spies but like Croft he has the pace to play in the backs. I'm sure there are others.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 May 2012, 7:12 pm

Andy Farrell started at 6 (so equivalent to stand-off) at Wigan and I think GB. As he filled out he moved to 13 (back row) before ending in the front row when all the pace was gone.

So many players have played in more than one postion in the backs (though few in all 7) that really it is almostthe norm. Thr true versatile ones are those who can play in the forwards or the backs in the same season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down