The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good or bad week for boxing?

4 posters

Go down

A good or bad week for boxing? Empty A good or bad week for boxing?

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 pm

It all started so well. I was genuinely excited about the amount of boxing on TV last Saturday night, and with the exception of the poor Prizefighter show, we had some excellent fights over the weekend and with some excellent upcoming fights there was some genuinely good stuff to look forward to.

Then we have the Haye - Chisora circus and while the prior events were disgraceful, at least it's a high profile UK fight that would hopefully ignite a bit of interest amongst the general public. However now that's taken about 10 steps backwards following the BBBC statement, and boxing looks worse than it did before to the general public.

Add to that the collapse of the Khan - Peterson fight and the disgrace that brings to the sport (regardless of any unknown mitigating circumstances surrounding Peterson at this stage) and again our sport looks like a joke.

It's a shame that the Bute - Froch fight might get overlooked in the melee and the headlines will point to the bad stuff rather than promoting what we would hope to be an excellent fight. But with two very low key fighters, despite them being at the top of their game, it's always going to play second fiddle to the headline grabbing stuff. It's a similar story with Pacquiao - Bradley, with some on here stating they have no interest in 24-7 because the two fighters are not considered to be personalities worth watching. So again, we can expect a good fight but because there are no fireworks outside the ring it doesn't get the juices flowing for even dedicated fans, never mind the casual or lost fan.

So can we take any positives from this week? Is any boxing publicity good publicity or have the events surrounding probably the three most well known UK boxers (for good and bad reasons) pushed our sport further into obscurity.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

A good or bad week for boxing? Empty Re: A good or bad week for boxing?

Post by DoubleD22 Thu May 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Id tend to go with the all publicity is good publicity stand point and say it has been a good week.

Im the only real boxing fan at my work but today I've had a few people walk in and ask/discuss or just mention boxing in the news this week.

People even saying Peterson's name to me is a step in the right direction I would say.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Good week but the Peterson cheating incident is defo bad. Haye v Chisora has already sold 17,000 tickets so we know what the boxing world actually thinks of that.

Great card last Saturday and Mayweather fight was entertaining

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am

Never a good thing when a fighter is caught for steroids. I was looking forward to the Khan/Peterson fight alot more than something like Haye/Chisora so overall bad for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down