The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was this weekend good or bad for boxing?

+4
88Chris05
compelling and rich
mobilemaster8
hampo17
8 posters

Go down

Was this weekend good or bad for boxing? Empty Was this weekend good or bad for boxing?

Post by hampo17 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:39 am

David Price getting stopped by a guy who at 41, is hardly going to be the life line of the division for years to come, Audley getting yet another shot at redemption by winning his second prize fighter, however he looked the best he has ever done.

In America Ishe Smith beat Cornelius "K9" Bundrage to win the IBF junior middleweight title via split decision in a good fight, and Vyacheslav Glazkov reportedly got a generous decision against Malik Scott.

Obviously there where some good undercard fights, such as Satchell retaining his British strap, so on the whole a good or bad weekend for boxing?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Was this weekend good or bad for boxing? Empty Re: Was this weekend good or bad for boxing?

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:07 am

I think a good one.

Price was stopped by a fighter who less then a year ago was ranked number 2 by the WBC and rated very highly in the other organisations.

He has lost 3 fights out of over 30, 2 of which were via the best heavyweight since Lennox Lewis so no shame there.

No matter what the age, it was a HUGE step up for Price who had never been in with anyone of that calibre. 41 is just a number, look at Bernard Hopkins or Vitali Klitshko!!

I think Audley looked the best he has in years, but my concern is that he didnt fight any quality in the tournament.

If he goes on to a bigger payday (perhaps Fury) he will freeze again and get blown away.

Glad to see Ishe Smith win the belt, no one had backed him apart from Mayweather. No one cared about him.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Was this weekend good or bad for boxing? Empty Re: Was this weekend good or bad for boxing?

Post by compelling and rich Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:40 am

consider myself a boxing fan, but haven't been around much on here and didnt even realise price was fighting this weekend untill i heard he got beat. such a shame that i knew about all the old crocks on prizefighter but didn't realise price was fighting because he was hidden away on boxnation

i would say bad overall purely because its means now audley will be again on his hunt for that world title instead of retiring! dont think a defeat for price is the end of the world, lewis, wlad etc all got beat early on, its the only thing currently going for the heavies that it only takes one punch to change a fight. he should learn and tighten up that defence like wlad, he 's a bit to gun-ho at the minute, and with a suspect chin its always a problem

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:52 am

Just another standard week in boxing, for me - neither particularly good nor particularly bad.

A highly-touted prospect receiving a shock defeat, a poor judging decision, an average 'world champion' losing his title (can't say I'm the least bit surprised as Bundrage was amongst the worst title holders in the sport today for my money) and Audley talking out his dream and destiny.....All looks pretty par for the course from where I'm standing!

In the grand scheme of things, Price's defeat doesn't mean all that much with regards to the state of the Heavyweights. We suspected, much like Wilder, Fury, Pulev etc, that he wasn't ready for a Klitschko yet and we'd have still been saying that even if he'd won on Saturday, I imagine. That he lost is just further confirmation of that.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:00 am

I don't really understand the idea of a bad night for boxing unless there has been a major robbery

It can't be a bad weekend because one fighter who we had high hopes for lost, it happens. It's all about perspective, is it bad that Thompson showed that he is still a classy operator. Is it good that Bundrage is no longer champion

As Chris said its just another week for boxing and its sad to say but robberries (close fights) are subjective and happen all too often

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by StagiestCosine (TMM) Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:38 am

Fury may have been wary of Price due to the psycological advantage David held over of their amateur matchup. Perhaps he used the "I'm a level above Price" as an excuse to avoid him.

Fury (having witnessed Destructive Dave destroyed by an average punch), may no longer use the "I'm a level above Price", and instead, actively seek out a fight.

Alternatively, it may only serve to strengthen his claim "I'm a level above price" and push any fight between the two further into the future.

If Price needs Fury then he needs him now, it would be the perfect fight to bounce back and rebuild what he'd already built, but why would Fury give him the opportunity?

The fight may be closer after this setback... it might be further away? I'm not sure which is better for boxing.

I kind of agree with WHU; a legitimate result is no worse for boxing than out of the ring misdemeanors and robberies inside it.

Afterall, if a prospect gets beat after being "protected" then all that's happened is the inevitable has occured sooner rather than later.

Last edited by StagiestCosine (TMM) on Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

StagiestCosine (TMM)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:51 am

Still dont think that it would be in Fury's best intentions to fight Price although I bet he is kicking himself that the hype and money that a Price fight would have got him will be greatly reduced now

Another thing is he's the favourite now, if he doesn't win or knock him out then people (casuals) will comapare him to being worse than Thompson. Fury is also far from unbeatable and has been decked before, Price may be chiny himslef but he holds ahell of a lot of power and all it takes is one punch for Fury's career to be in tatters much like Price's is now

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:22 am

great weekend as far as im concerned. im not a patriot and i dont care about prospects, all i want is to see competitive and entertaining boxing. for a 7/1 underdog to show he still has the tools and heart at 41 years old to defeat a guy who has been hyped up stuck in with guys ready to be flattened was very refreshing. gives me hope for future poor cards

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

Great for boxing, unfortunately in this game if you have favourites, you have to be prepared for the highs and lows.

Really enjoyed the Bundrage vs Smith fight, it was really entertaining and I am glad he got his chance and took it with both hands.

Price will come back stronger and like everyone says its part of heavyweight boxing, one punch can change a fight.

As for the robbery, I haven't seen the fight, but it doesn't really help boxing much.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend's action, especially Prize Fighter (Well done Audley Smile)

The highs and the lows are the reason why I love boxing, you never can be certain of anything in this game. The thing that drives fans away is the bad decisions and cheating in boxing, not the fact their favorite fighters lose.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down