The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez v Kirkland

+8
The Galveston Giant
manos de piedra
bellchees
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Josef K.
hampo17
RANDY77
Seanusarrilius
12 posters

Go down

Alvarez v Kirkland Empty Alvarez v Kirkland

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Apparently this is going to be Alvarez next opponent. Personally, I thought he looked good v Mosely, and was amazed by Shanes chin as he took a some savage shots.

Alvarez v Kirkland would be a great matchup and I hope it gets made. Canelo KO for me.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Alvarez v Kirkland Empty Re: Alvarez v Kirkland

Post by RANDY77 Thu May 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Canelo KO 6-9

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Still waiting for Erislandy Lara to get his chance although it seem him and Rigondeaux have had their fifteen minutes of fame.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu May 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Canelo by early KO, Kirkland seems so vunerable early doors that it's inevitable he'll get caught.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Thu May 10, 2012 5:01 pm

I'll second you on that, Sean. Canelo really impressed be v Mosely. If Canelo lands the same shots he did v Mosely on Kirkland, I can't see him lasting the distance.
Obviously though, Kirkland can bang, though quite crude. What's Canelo's chin like? Hasn't taken too many shots when I've seen him.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Another step up for Canelo,

Kirkland is one dimensional but has a lot of power. Canelo took shots from mosley, Kirkland should be able to land a couple bog shots. Kirkland may have been losing the Molina fight, but had the momentum and was hitting Molina more with every round.

Both are entertaining so it should be a good fight. Canelo KO round 9 after being hurt early

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu May 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Canelo early KO I think. I'm still of the opinion that Lara and Molina would beat both of these two though. Lara vs Kirkland would be a real short painful night for Kirkland.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I had a feeling this fight would happen. Punchers chance for Kirkland but thats about it I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Would like to see Lara in the mix more he's been left out for obvious reasons, did he not only have his first fight since Williams a few weeks ago, missed it anyways but sure he was good.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 6:46 pm

At last. Great match-up. Canelo will have t prove himself against a ranked fighter. Yes Kirkland is vulnerable and from what I've seen from Canelo, he should take him out early. But if it goes past 3 rounds, anything can happen.

Kirkland should warm up by getting punched and shaken up. Pretend he's entering the fight in the 4th and duke it out. Canelo is also chinny so should be fun to watch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 pm

What would it take to convince you that Canelo is not chinny out of curiosity? Or will the Cotto fight forever condemn him as being glass jawed?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu May 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Manos, i've never known a young fighter be condemned so much for being slightly rocked by one punch, not as if he was knocked out or it's a common occurrence.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm

manos de piedra wrote:What would it take to convince you that Canelo is not chinny out of curiosity? Or will the Cotto fight forever condemn him as being glass jawed?

I dont want to go through this again, but Cotto is a lightweight and he badly rocked Canelo. I will put that in the chinny category. Just my take on it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Manos, i've never known a young fighter be condemned so much for being slightly rocked by one punch, not as if he was knocked out or it's a common occurrence.

You like him and you don't want to hear any criticism of one of your favourites. That#s about the long and short of it all.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fl6j0XDlY

1 min 19 secs into the vid, he's not sightly shaken but badly wobbled. Didn't look a big punch either.

Credit to him for recovering quickly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm

He was what? 18 years old and at welterweight when he was hurt by Cotto? Hes obviously grown and improved since then and most likely to continue to do so. Im just curious as to what would have to happen for you to consider him no longer chinny. If Kirkland doesnt put him over or rock him will you change your mind?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 pm

manos de piedra wrote:He was what? 18 years old and at welterweight when he was hurt by Cotto? Hes obviously grown and improved since then and most likely to continue to do so. Im just curious as to what would have to happen for you to consider him no longer chinny. If Kirkland doesnt put him over or rock him will you change your mind?

That may be the case. But I dont think your chin improves with age. Your experience does.

If Kirkland lands and he doesn't put him over, then I will take it back.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

azania wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:He was what? 18 years old and at welterweight when he was hurt by Cotto? Hes obviously grown and improved since then and most likely to continue to do so. Im just curious as to what would have to happen for you to consider him no longer chinny. If Kirkland doesnt put him over or rock him will you change your mind?

That may be the case. But I dont think your chin improves with age. Your experience does.

If your a kid its bound to. Alvarez was a teenager. By the time hes filled out as a man I would imagine hes alot stronger and sturdier.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

He isn't one of my favourites at all but deem it fanciful to condemn a young man based on one punch. Personally think he loses to all of Mayweather, Cotto, Lara and Molina.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:12 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

If your a kid its bound to. Alvarez was a teenager. By the time hes filled out as a man I would imagine hes alot stronger and sturdier.

His chin has not been tested since then.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He isn't one of my favourites at all but deem it fanciful to condemn a young man based on one punch. Personally think he loses to all of Mayweather, Cotto, Lara and Molina.

I am not condemning him. He is a very good boxer. Very exciting. But he got badly rocked by a fat lightweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu May 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Mosley landed a lot without rocking Canelo once, I'm fairly confident that he hits a lot harder than Cotto.

Don't forget the weight may have been an issue when Cotto rocked him, he is looking a lot stronger at the current weight and is taking shots a lot better.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 7:20 pm

azania wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

His chin has not been tested since then.

It has. Maybe not by a concussive puncher, but my biggest criticism of Canelo so far has been hes not the hardest to hit. Rhodes, Hatton and even Cinton and Mosley landed on him with no lasting effect.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:26 pm

hampo171 wrote:Mosley landed a lot without rocking Canelo once, I'm fairly confident that he hits a lot harder than Cotto.

Don't forget the weight may have been an issue when Cotto rocked him, he is looking a lot stronger at the current weight and is taking shots a lot better.

The weight was an issue when Cotto rocked him. Cotto was a fight lightweight. The weight was not an issue for Canelo though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm

You know that for certain do you?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes I do. I'm taking a leaf out of your book by passing my opinion as fact.

Until I see him against a live opponent and taking one on the chin without too much of a chicken dance, then my opinion will remain.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Do you feel the need to turn every discussion into a personal tirade?

I personally would consider a shot to pieces Mosley to be a far bigger puncher than Cotto but I suppose being past his best means he has no power either.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Called this one 3 weeks back, I'm starting to feel like some mystical boxing analyst.

Anywho, this fight is a real good match up. I'm a little shocked at the amount of people who think this will be an easy night for Alvarez. Kirkland has a high motor and despite his chin, can take punishment to dish it...

Alvarez doesn't throw enough, Kirkland could swarm him.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I think if Kirkland can handle the early rounds he will go on to win via late KO.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Alvarez should win simply because he's the better boxer. Kirkland has the equaliser though and Alvarez is not that hard to hit. Should be a fun night.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down