The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2nd Wind

3 posters

Go down

The 2nd Wind Empty The 2nd Wind

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 pm

One of the things I enjoy more than ever in tennis is a fightback. Whether it be players who turn around a 2 set defecit in best of 5, or that player who wins a Slam or tournament from absolutely nowhere. Sometimes even a player who had that taste of the higher order in the tennis world and whether it be injury or a loss of form that they then fall from grace. Look at these past players who have found that 2nd wind to prove that form is temporary and class is permanent.

Andre Agassi at 28 years old in 1998 started as low as 110 and finished the year number 6 in the world. He went on to enjoy further Slam and tournament success in the twilight of his career.

Juan Carlos Ferrero at 29 went from 101 at the start of 2009 to 23 at the end of 2009. He has been a regular feature in the top 50 ever since. It seemed injury and loss of form was going to prevent him coming back into the top tier of mens tennis. In 2010 he broke back into the top 20.

David Nalbandian in 2010 started 130 in the world and finished 27 in the world at the age of 28. His form has been patchy and he has suffered terribly with injury, but has still managed to get himself back to some form of 10 years ago. Another Argentine in Del Potro started 2011 ranked 258 in the world and finished 11 in the world after a wrist injury that almost wrecked his career.

It now brings me to a favourite player of mine. Tommy Haas. Started the year ranked 205 in the world and is now ranked 109 and ever so close to the top 100 again after a 2 year absence from the top tier. At the age of 34 there is still some fight left in this old dog and I really hope he can have a purple patch in his second wind.

I also hope that Robin Soderling can do the same once he overcomes his illness.

Last edited by legendkillarV2 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The 2nd Wind Empty Re: The 2nd Wind

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 pm

I wont call Coming back from injury as a fightback, but yes it deserves a tremendous courage, hardwork and determination to do it.

Haas is one of my favorite player too, he keeps the game simple and keep the old tradition game alive.

I wish a successful comeback and a golden end to his career.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:I wont call Coming back from injury as a fightback, but yes it deserves a tremendous courage, hardwork and determination to do it.

Haas is one of my favorite player too, he keeps the game simple and keep the old tradition game alive.

I wish a successful comeback and a golden end to his career.

How about Alisa Kleybanova coming back from cancer? That is a comeback in my book.

Del Potro that is a comeback. The wrist injury could've easily been a career ender.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 pm

2 comebacks for me stand out...
1. Agassi - from #141 to #1 by playing challengers again, etc. That took spirit after all he had achieved before.
2. Muster - massive period of rehab, even hitting tennis balls from a wheelchair, after that horrific knee injury he sustained after being ran over by a taxi!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Lest any one forget, James Blake, from a broken back.

Muster, Kleybanova, ... so many marvellous stories. I love my sport. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 am

If Federer wins another slam - I would consider that a "comeback".

If Del Potro reaches a slam final - I would consider that a "comeback" ... same for Soderling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down