The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh backline for Oz.

+13
RubyGuby
Morgannwg
mrzimmerman
Smirnoffpriest
TycroesOsprey
BeachBoy2012
wales606
maestegmafia
mpc28
glamorganalun
flyhalffactory
bedfordwelsh
idris
17 posters

Go down

Welsh backline for Oz. Empty Welsh backline for Oz.

Post by idris Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 am

With Roberts out and JD2 touch and go we need to bring some form players in and have a bit of a reshuffle.

As good as Halfpenny is, he didn't win a single ball in the air in the Six Nations (maybe 1 against England). Against the like of Ioane and O'connor, Wales will need to be strong in the air. Lee Byrne is playing awesome at the moment it's a big a shame he didn't get a go in the 6N.

Biggar is playing fantastic for the Ospreys at the moment and Wales would be no worse off by giving him an opportunity. Halfpenny is the goalkicker now, so we don't have to worry about his kicking although it's excellent at present. However, if Halfpenny gets injured I would rather Bigger kicking as opposed to Priestland or Hook. Hook is also playing brilliant for Perpignan so there is every chance that Priestland may not even make the 22. It would be shocking if a grandslam winning 10 missed the 22 entirely, but this shows a strenght in depth that Wales has never had.

Ashley Beck must be a shoe in for the 12 spot. I would love to see the North experiment at 13, but I think JD2 may be fit and resume service.

This is the backline that I would love to see in the first test.

9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. Halfpenny
12. Beck
13. North
14. Cuffbutt
15. Byrne

20. Webb
21. Hook
22. JD2/Scott Williams

idris

Back to top Go down

Welsh backline for Oz. Empty Re: Welsh backline for Oz.

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 am

idris,

I know Biggar has had good end to season but Priestland is man in possesion and I would start with him.

As much as I like idea of North in ventre I wouldn't tinker to much for me I would go with

Phillips
Priestland
North
JD2 (If fit)
Sc Williams
Cuthbert

Halfpenny
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun May 13, 2012 8:02 am

idris wrote:With Roberts out and JD2 touch and go we need to bring some form players in and have a bit of a reshuffle.

As good as Halfpenny is, he didn't win a single ball in the air in the Six Nations (maybe 1 against England). Against the like of Ioane and O'connor, Wales will need to be strong in the air. Lee Byrne is playing awesome at the moment it's a big a shame he didn't get a go in the 6N.

Biggar is playing fantastic for the Ospreys at the moment and Wales would be no worse off by giving him an opportunity. Halfpenny is the goalkicker now, so we don't have to worry about his kicking although it's excellent at present. However, if Halfpenny gets injured I would rather Bigger kicking as opposed to Priestland or Hook. Hook is also playing brilliant for Perpignan so there is every chance that Priestland may not even make the 22. It would be shocking if a grandslam winning 10 missed the 22 entirely, but this shows a strenght in depth that Wales has never had.

Ashley Beck must be a shoe in for the 12 spot. I would love to see the North experiment at 13, but I think JD2 may be fit and resume service.

This is the backline that I would love to see in the first test.

9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. Halfpenny
12. Beck
13. North
14. Cuffbutt
15. Byrne

20. Webb
21. Hook
22. JD2/Scott Williams

Idris
Good analysis, few things though

I was working in France for the last 5 weeks, and was lucky enough to watch Hook star for in a Perpignan game, and during and after the match enthused to the supporters on how good he (Hook) has been playing.......... I was suprised when quite a few disagreed and said at best he has been playing in fits and starts although getting more consistent towards the end of the season. Beck is looking strong in defence and offence and altho fast on the initial 5 mtrs he gets caught a fair bit on the long run, I am still not totally convinced at international level he will cut it but would play him against the BaaBaas. Gareth Davies has looked very good at scrumhalf. Byrne has been playing superb from all accounts though

Backlines I would select if I was Howley (brackets) are bench players

BaaBaas
15 Halfpenny
14 Dirksen
13 Bishop (North)
12 Beck
11 Cuthbert
10 Hook (Morgan)
9 Webb (Phillips)

Oz
15 Byrne (Halfpenny)
14 North
13 Williams (Hook)
12 Davies
11 Cuthbert
10 Priestland (Biggar)
9 Phillips (Davies)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun May 13, 2012 8:25 am

Flyhalf:

Good pick's except Dirksen does not qualify until 2014, his first year qualification was invalid using a student Visa. I am not sure about Priestland, he has been poor since returning from the RWC. I have been a big critic of Biggar but the last 3 or 4 games he has stopped kicking ball away and getting the line moving. The Ospreys pack have made life easy behind for Webb and Biggar but the backs deserve credit they are doing well and the form half backs in Wales.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun May 13, 2012 8:39 am

glamorganalun wrote:Flyhalf:

Good pick's except Dirksen does not qualify until 2014, his first year qualification was invalid using a student Visa. I am not sure about Priestland, he has been poor since returning from the RWC. I have been a big critic of Biggar but the last 3 or 4 games he has stopped kicking ball away and getting the line moving. The Ospreys pack have made life easy behind for Webb and Biggar but the backs deserve credit they are doing well and the form half backs in Wales.

Evening Alun mate
I thought I heard Shane stating in the post match interview that he expected Hanno (Dirksen?) to be selected for the summer tour!...... I knew I should have put my earing aid up a notch

Another one I would like to see playing maybe is Liam Williams the Scarlets FB, thought he was very good against the Blues

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun May 13, 2012 8:44 am

Laim is a cracking player, not sure about about his self control at times. I would love to know what is happening at the Scarlets with their second rows, I suspect they will struggle next year.

Have a good evening.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

Evening Alun mate
I thought I heard Shane stating in the post match interview that he expected Hanno (Dirksen?) to be selected for the summer tour!...... I knew I should have put my earing aid up a notch

Another one I would like to see playing maybe is Liam Williams the Scarlets FB, thought he was very good against the Blues

Shane definitely did say that in the post match interview.

Maybe Dirksen and/or the WRU are going to contest the decision? Wasnt Manu Tuilagi close to being deported for over staying his visa?

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 am

mpc28 wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Evening Alun mate

Maybe Dirksen and/or the WRU are going to contest the decision? Wasnt Manu Tuilagi close to being deported for over staying his visa?

Tuilagi was being deported for not having a visa.. Dirksen has another two years before he would qualify by residency. Good player.

Backline wise, I dont think Biggar or Hook are better than Priestland. Stick as we are, only change I would make would be Beck in for Roberts.

Phillips
Priestland
North
Beck
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mpc28 wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Evening Alun mate

Tuilagi was being deported for not having a visa.. Dirksen has another two years before he would qualify by residency. Good player.

Backline wise, I dont think Biggar or Hook are better than Priestland. Stick as we are, only change I would make would be Beck in for Roberts.

Phillips
Priestland
North
Beck
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

Dirksen was playing for Swansea in 2009 so would qualify for residency already but for the fact that he was on a student visa when he first started playing over here.

Thats the same backline that i would choose, Priestland has to hit the ground running in the first test though, he needs to find his form again after a less than impressive 6 nations, Maybe the form of Biggar will be a timely kick up the backside for him.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun May 13, 2012 8:46 pm

9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North
12. Scott Williams (don't think he has the speed for 13 internationally)
13. Jonathon Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

21. Lloyd Williams
22. Dan Biggar
23. Ashley Beck

Beck and Biggar to be given a chance in the BaaBaas game, if they don't perform then

21. Lloyd Williams
22. James Hook
23. Liam Williams
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachBoy2012 Sun May 13, 2012 9:18 pm

9: Mike Phillips
10: Dan Biggar
11: Leigh Halfpenny
12: Ashley Beck
13: George North
14: Alex Cuthbert
15: Richard Fussell

20: Gareth Davies
21: Rhys Priestland
22: Scott Williams

BeachBoy2012

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm

BeachBoy2012 wrote:9: Mike Phillips
10: Dan Biggar
11: Leigh Halfpenny
12: Ashley Beck
13: George North
14: Alex Cuthbert
15: Richard Fussell

20: Gareth Davies
21: Rhys Priestland
22: Scott Williams

You misspelt Lee Byrne, or Liam Williams

Fussell Erm
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachBoy2012 Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Lee Byrne - should never see an international jersey again.

Liam Williams - yeah, he's outperformed Fussell hasn't he? Rolling Eyes

Let's let Liam Williams be good before we say how good he is. And Lee Byrne, well I for one cant handle him banging aimless kicks down the field, half the time going out on the full and the other half of the time landing in the hands of an on rushing full back from New Zealand or Australia.

Why don't we in Wales try something, just once, like picking players on form?

BeachBoy2012

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 pm

BeachBoy2012 wrote:Lee Byrne - should never see an international jersey again.

Liam Williams - yeah, he's outperformed Fussell hasn't he? Rolling Eyes

Yes, yes he has.

He has been very good in every game I have seen him in for the last month - his catching has reminded me of Kearney at times aswell.

Lee Byrne is first choice 15 for Clermont who are 2nd in the toughest league on the world, he is also the only Welshman to be in a HC semi final this year (in which is scored a try) - I would say he is a pretty good 3rd choice behind Halfpenny and the younger Li.Williams.

Fussell is an average winger who is playing FB - He can't kick to save his life and is not dominant in the air and his defence is not good. He cut some good lines in the O's semi final, but that about all the good he has done this season.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachBoy2012 Sun May 13, 2012 10:35 pm

I think Liam Williams will be really good. But I don't think he has done enough. And with Fussell I think his running ability and spacial awareness is pretty impressive. In the air I've seen him have some good games and not so good ones.

Lee Byrne though... he's never been good enough against the best three sides in the world. He's predictable when he plays them and they must look forward to playing him. He's since lost some speed as well.

As for the french league being the 2nd toughest league i disagree. It's clogged up by old players clinging on, half hearted mercenaries and sides who if they have to travel don't turn up.

BeachBoy2012

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 pm

BeachBoy2012 wrote:I think Liam Williams will be really good. But I don't think he has done enough. And with Fussell I think his running ability and spacial awareness is pretty impressive. In the air I've seen him have some good games and not so good ones.

Lee Byrne though... he's never been good enough against the best three sides in the world. He's predictable when he plays them and they must look forward to playing him. He's since lost some speed as well.

As for the french league being the 2nd toughest league i disagree. It's clogged up by old players clinging on, half hearted mercenaries and sides who if they have to travel don't turn up.

The Top14 in the toughest league by far - which is tougher?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 pm

wales606 wrote:
BeachBoy2012 wrote:I think Liam Williams will be really good. But I don't think he has done enough. And with Fussell I think his running ability and spacial awareness is pretty impressive. In the air I've seen him have some good games and not so good ones.

The Top14 in the toughest league by far - which is tougher?

Beachboy
You spout "why dont Wales pick on FORM", then you select Fussel Shocked ........ ahead of Byrne who is on fire and keeping out some classy players in a cracking Clermont side, in yes a league generally regarded (by people who actually watch rugby outside of the goldfish bowl of Wales) as one of if not the toughest league in world rugby, and Liam Williams who is a better tackler, and faster on the break than Fussel. You also pick North who hasn't played centre at full international level and Beck who had never played at a higher level than regional rugby against Australia in their own back yard!!

Strewth talking about ruining careers before they have even started

By the way are you an Ospreys supporter?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachBoy2012 Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Haha no I'm a Hurricanes (super 15) supporter!

North's never played centre? Shane had never played for Wales until his first game. I hadn't had my first ice cream til my parents gave me one about 20 years ago. Whart's your point? Now is the time to try these things while players are out injured.

BeachBoy2012

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 pm

BeachBoy2012 wrote:Haha no I'm a Hurricanes (super 15) supporter!

North's never played centre? Shane had never played for Wales until his first game. I hadn't had my first ice cream til my parents gave me one about 20 years ago. Whart's your point? Now is the time to try these things while players are out injured.

Shane had played wing regularly for his club though.

North could be a good centre, but he needs to play there regionally first - or he will be exposed badly by AAC and Ioane.

The only centre out is Roberts - JD2 should be fit and S.Williams almost certainly will be.

12. Scott Williams
13. Jonathon Davies

or

12. Ashley Beck
13. Scott Williams

Would be better options at the moment - probably so would Hook or Hughes in the centres.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun May 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Well Wales didnt pitch Shane in an inexperience Welsh side against one of the top 3 sides in their own country, if they had and he got trounced he might never have become the player he did........you have to be a tad sensible

My point(s) are
1. Form - Fussel is not the form FB, I would say there is at least three better form players (Byrne, Halfpenny, Williams)
2. Winning mentality - Wales have stated this summer tour will be about winning not bleeding new players, hence pick your best players for the series
3. Player development - you are selecting a player (Beck) who hasn't proved himself in a level higher than regional rugby, and pitching him alongside a player who has never played centre at even regional level (North), and on top of this you are selecting a player who has never played above regional level Fussel............ what if Australia put 50 pts on them, you would have destroyed all their confidence

Against what will be a strong OZ team in their own back yard, you need horses for courses
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 am

Fussell is a jorneyman, not an international class winger or full back. Byrne and Halfpenny are our first choice 15 with an up and coming Liam Williams. The idea that Fussell would be a better option than any of the above three is a joke.

George North has not played centre since school. He is still learning and is still very raw as a winger and it is there that he is best suited. He is not a better option than JD or Sc Williams in the outside centre berth. In fact I would have Hook at 13 anyday rather than North. 13 is for me HOoks best position.

We have a settled side who all know their roles and good players who can come in and cover every position twice over why on earth would we want to start messing that around now by playing people out of position or picking thrid raters ahead of proven international?

The teams for Oz - Babas will look somthing like below and there wont be any biggar or Fussell thank God.

1. Gethin - James
2. Rees, Owens
3. Adam, Mitchell
4. Ian Evans, Bradley
5. Charteris, AWJ
6. Lydiate, Lewis Evans
7. Warbs, Tipuric
8. Faletau, Ryan
9. Phillips, Ll Williams
10. Priestland, Hook
11. North, Brew
12. JD2, Beck
13. Sc Williams, Hughes
14. Cuthbert, Robinson
15. Halfpenny, Byrne

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon May 14, 2012 3:21 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:Fussell is a jorneyman, not an international class winger or full back. Byrne and Halfpenny are our first choice 15 with an up and coming Liam Williams. The idea that Fussell would be a better option than any of the above three is a joke.

George North has not played centre since school. He is still learning and is still very raw as a winger and it is there that he is best suited. He is not a better option than JD or Sc Williams in the outside centre berth. In fact I would have Hook at 13 anyday rather than North. 13 is for me HOoks best position.

We have a settled side who all know their roles and good players who can come in and cover every position twice over why on earth would we want to start messing that around now by playing people out of position or picking thrid raters ahead of proven international?

The teams for Oz - Babas will look somthing like below and there wont be any biggar or Fussell thank God.

1. Gethin - James
2. Rees, Owens
3. Adam, Mitchell
4. Ian Evans, Bradley
5. Charteris, AWJ
6. Lydiate, Lewis Evans
7. Warbs, Tipuric
8. Faletau, Ryan
9. Phillips, Ll Williams
10. Priestland, Hook
11. North, Brew
12. JD2, Beck
13. Sc Williams, Hughes
14. Cuthbert, Robinson
15. Halfpenny, Byrne

Agree, only Shingler over Lewis Evans surely.

Im pretty sure Howley has stated that Tips and Warburton will fly out early and Shingler will start at 7 against the BaaBaas (with Maryn coming off the bench)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 am

Think Ian Evans is getting married as well so he misses the first test.

Shingler or Lewis Evans and I would be happy. Personally Ima big fan of Evans at six but Shingler has more versatility.

He would probably be in my thrid choice team,

1. Gill
2. Hibbard
3. Andrews
4. Day
5. Read
6. McCusker
7. Shingler
8. Delve
9. Webb
10. Tovey
11. James
12. Hewitt
13. Bishop
14. Walker
15. Li Williams

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 am

[quote="wales606"]9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Did you miss the rugby world cup or the ENGLAND game??!?!?!

Scott Williams is rapid especially when you consider how big of a lump he is!

I would love it if Dirksen can get qualified sooner. He is amazing i've been excited about him since he came over 3 years ago.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon May 14, 2012 5:20 am

Gill - Bevington
Owens - Hibbert
Mitchell - Andrews
B Davies
Reed/Shingler/AWJ?
L Evans/Murphy?
Shingler/M Williams
R Jones/Murphy?
Webb/Ll Williams
Biggar/Tovey
Robinson/Brew
Beck/Hook
S Williams/Bishop
L Williams
Byrne/Hook

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am

[quote="idris"]
wales606 wrote:9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North

I would love it if Dirksen can get qualified sooner. He is amazing i've been excited about him since he came over 3 years ago.

If JD2 is out, I would put S.Williams at 13 - But JD2 has shone at 13 recently, and I think that internationally, he is a better option at 13 (whereas he and Williams interchange for the Scarlets).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Mon May 14, 2012 12:08 pm

[quote="idris"]
wales606 wrote:9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North

You're right about Scott Williams being rapid, i was watching a video of the Scarlets doing sprint training a few weeks ago and he was quicker than George North in the clips i saw so there certainly shouldnt be any question marks over his pace.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Squad announced today...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Phillips
Biggar
North
Beck
Bishop
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

Don't expect anyone to agree but i think that's a great backline.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon May 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Bishop is not as good as Williams or Davies in attack, and they are as good as Bishop in defence.

He's had a resurgent season, but I cant see him impressing at international level. He just does the basics very very well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon May 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Bishop scores about as many tries as Adam Jones.

Bishop is a decent regional player - and I think the Ospreys should have done a lot better when they had Bowe, Williams an Byrne in the backline - and they might of done with a 13 like Laulaula or Smith, but Bishop is just a defender and doesn't create anything.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 pm

What time maes? Any chance you can post a thread now and then edit the squad in on the minute mark so we don't have to put up a multitude of threads?

It would worry me to see Bishop in the squad. One good game in a season does not make him worthy of a call-up. We are definitely lacking a good 13. If Beck had one outside him that midfield would have a field day in attack. You could argue that Beck's style of play is similar to Sonny Bills except not as much skill or big hits.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 pm

1st 2nd
15 Halfpenny Byrne
14 Cuthbert Dirksen
13 Beck Williams
12 J Davies J Roberts
11 G North Brew
10 Priestland Hook
9 Iron Mike Webb

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Although I am no a big fan of Priestland, is it a good idea to reshuffle a backline who has been given an opportunity to settle well over the past year?

9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. George North
12. Biggar or Beck?
13. Biggar, Beck or North?
14. Cuthbert
15 Halfpenny.

Is it at all possible that Biggar and Beck can slot into 12 and 13 and leave the rest of the backline the same?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon May 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Surprised Aled Brew and Will Harries made the squad and not Adam Hughes. Good to see Shingler and Liam in there mind
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Biggar in the Centre!!!!!! Did you bang your head this weekend Bilt? - With al the quality centres we've got we need to kep Biggar well away from there IMO - 3rd choice OH at best thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon May 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Biggar is not a centre, defensively he isnt strong enough and offensivley he offers nothing in attack. As Ruby says third choice 10 at best 4th in my eyes.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't know Rubyguby, that's why I am asking.

The point is do you realy want to disrupt the whole backline, if there is someone else then just replace the centres.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 pm

I'd keep the back line as settled as possible with the introduction of Beck being the exception. Possibly try 1 or 2 alternatives in the mid week game but NOT Biggar in the Centre thumbsup I'd also give Hook some game time at 10 during the tour but not if we're 4 points up with 20 to play unless Priestland is having a mare. Priestland needs to start to lcick again or his place is going to be in jeopardy

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue May 15, 2012 4:36 am

I'd see how Biggar does against the Baa Baas - then the question is if you put Hook on the bench as I would or play it safe with Priestland on the bench?

Beck should def be at 12 for the Baa Baas, and be in the squad for the tour, I am worried though that if we haven't got North, Phillips, Halfpenny, Roberts and JD2 then our backline (and Forwards) has huge changes and not much time to settle. Still it will be good to see how some players particularly Beck and Biggar get on

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I'd see how Biggar does against the Baa Baas - then the question is if you put Hook on the bench as I would or play it safe with Priestland on the bench?

Beck should def be at 12 for the Baa Baas, and be in the squad for the tour, I am worried though that if we haven't got North, Phillips, Halfpenny, Roberts and JD2 then our backline (and Forwards) has huge changes and not much time to settle. Still it will be good to see how some players particularly Beck and Biggar get on

With Hook and Beck on the bench they cover 10 - 15 since Hook cover FB.

I can't see Biggar replacing Preistland straight out - perhaps if Biggar impresses and Preistland is poor in the first 1 or 2 tests.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 15, 2012 6:53 am

Might well see both Biggar and Hook on the bench for the first test?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:Might well see both Biggar and Hook on the bench for the first test?

Possibly, but I doubt it - that would mean Hook was covering centre and FB from the bench, but I don't think they will put two 10s (for their clubs at anyrate) on the bench without specialist cover.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm

I def wouldn't like to see both Biggar and Hook on the bench, for one it means that Hook is being considered (even temporarily) as centre instead of being kept in 1 position, flyhalf, which he's playing for Club and wants to play.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue May 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Against Baabaa I think we will be throwing people onto the pitch in order to see if they are up to the job of international rubgy at the moment. So I would expect four new caps to get a start in a team looking something like this;

L Williams, Brew, Beck, Bishop, Robinson, Biggar, Ll Wiliams

Rh Jones, Hibbard, James, Davies, Charteris, Shingler, Tipuric, R Jones

(bench -: Gill, Owens, M Williams, Turnbull, Webb, Hook, Harris)

Against Aus it will be business as usually for the GS team;

Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Sc Williams (if unfit Beck), J Davies, North, Priestland, Phillips

Jenkins, Rees (if Unfit Owens), A Jones, Davies, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau

(bench -: James, Owens (Hibbard if Rees is unfit), R Jones, Tipuric, Ll Williams, Hook, Beck (if Sc Williams is unfit Li Williams)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:George North has not played centre since school.

Yeah but thats what 3pm? Being serious he has had what two seasons of playing on the wing, so has probably played more at centre than wing. That said I think leave him where he is, and lets stop shuffling players around left right and centre.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Yeah but thats what 3pm?

laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Yeah but thats what 3pm? Being serious he has had what two seasons of playing on the wing, so has probably played more at centre than wing. That said I think leave him where he is, and lets stop shuffling players around left right and centre.

So you think we should just play him left and right but not centre? or not play him left right or centre? Very Happy Run Sorry

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed May 16, 2012 1:04 am

For Oz:

9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. JD2 (Beck if is unfit)
13. Sc. Williams (Beck if unfit)
14. North
15. Halfpenny

20. Webb
21. Hook
22. Li. Williams

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed May 16, 2012 1:05 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

So you think we should just play him left and right but not centre? or not play him left right or centre? Very Happy Run Sorry

Well anywhere but fullback
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down