The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Glaws complete the job with 36?

+13
sirtidychris
beshocked
niwatts
Londonirishollie
DaveM
HongKongCherry
johnpartle
alcoombe
robbo277
timhen
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Shifty
Portnoy
17 posters

Go down

Can Glaws complete the job with 36? Empty Can Glaws complete the job with 36?

Post by Portnoy Sun 13 May 2012, 8:45 pm

A young man headed for a potentially impressive international career, but who I feel had his head swayed by a huge offer of dosh at a young age.

But will he and his agent ultimately regret is dash for cash? Glaws no doubt will want to see a quick return on their investment.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Can Glaws complete the job with 36? Empty Re: Can Glaws complete the job with 36?

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 8:48 pm

eh? Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Can Glaws complete the job with 36? Empty Re: Can Glaws complete the job with 36?

Post by Guest Sun 13 May 2012, 9:10 pm

To realise his potential he needs game time. At tigers he would have been up against Allen and Bowden next season. If he'll get regular starts in a consistent position it could end up as the making of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 9:20 pm

Can someone fill in the blanks for me please, what are we talking about? Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 13 May 2012, 9:22 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Can someone fill in the blanks for me please, what are we talking about? Erm

Billy "36" Twelvetrees is moving from Leicester Tigers to Gloucester for next season.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:Can someone fill in the blanks for me please, what are we talking about? Erm

Billy "36" Twelvetrees is moving from Leicester Tigers to Gloucester for next season.

Thanks Kiwi thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 13 May 2012, 9:36 pm

The Tigers' style is to slowly bring on players and not to expect too much too early. 36 is not yet ready for regular week-in-week-out Jeff rugby in my opinion - he's still an uncut diamond imo. There are so many facets of his game that need honing. And that can only be done by careful game management.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sun 13 May 2012, 9:40 pm

Best thing for him.

Tigers bringing in FH/C Bowden as his replacement and no other new additions in the FH & OC roles shows that they intended to continue to move him around the backline next season.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 13 May 2012, 9:47 pm

mawhis wrote:To realise his potential he needs game time. At tigers he would have been up against Allen and Bowden next season. If he'll get regular starts in a consistent position it could end up as the making of him.

I think Bowden was signed when it was obvious Twelvetrees was going, but I stand to be corrected on that.

I agree he needs to nail down one position (inside centre) and get game time there. It's a shame Gloucester won't be in the Heineken Cup next year, as they have a large number of talented young Englishmen who I'd love to see tested in the elite competition, but none-the-less, I would imagine that Twelvetrees would at least be touring Argentina with England next summer, if he doesn't acheive more.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Sun 13 May 2012, 10:12 pm

Portnoy wrote:The Tigers' style is to slowly bring on players and not to expect too much too early. 36 is not yet ready for regular week-in-week-out Jeff rugby in my opinion - he's still an uncut diamond imo. There are so many facets of his game that need honing. And that can only be done by careful game management.

There are clearly different interpretations on how best to achieve that. Just as, if not more highly favoured is learning by doing, getting plenty of game time in your intended position.

I couldn't agree less that he is "not yet ready for regular week-in-week-out Jeff rugby". He's looked more than capable everytime he's taken the field. I can't think of one bad game this season and he'll only get better the more he plays IC and not moved about to cover squad limitations.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sun 13 May 2012, 10:30 pm

timhen wrote:Tigers bringing in FH/C Bowden as his replacement and no other new additions in the FH & OC roles shows that they intended to continue to move him around the backline next season.

I think this was the critical issue in him moving on. With Tuilagi & Flood likely to be selected for England for the foreseeable future, Twelvetrees' ability to cover 13 and 10, Ford being the only other FH at Tigers and Twelvetrees being preferred at 13 to Smith, he was going to spend at least a third of the season playing out of position, more if there were injuries.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 13 May 2012, 10:45 pm

Portnoy wrote:A young man headed for a potentially impressive international career, but who I feel had his head swayed by a huge offer of dosh at a young age.

But will he and his agent ultimately regret is dash for cash?

I would say that his head was turned more by the derisory offer made by Tigers... But I don't want to bring up that old chesnut again as it'll really get you going! Broken Record
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 13 May 2012, 11:51 pm

Whilst he'll be first choice 12, I also suspect he'll be 2nd choice 10. Mills should figure more next season, and I'd imagine he'll focus on 12 (and be Billy's understudy).

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonirishollie Sun 13 May 2012, 11:59 pm

Glaws have a seriously young backline next season. It could be

Cowan, Burns, JSD, 36, Trinder, Sharples and May.
With Morgan on the bench.

There is really very little experience in the outside backs. With JSD being the only one who is experienced however he doesn't seem the type of player to be a calming influence on the others around him. Even if Morgan starts at 15 instead of May i could still see this backline being very inconsistent. But when they get it right they will be devestating.

Glaws are very similar to Irish in terms of having great backs but an average at best pack. Does their recruitment look like this is changing?

Londonirishollie

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 14 May 2012, 12:53 am

DaveM wrote:Whilst he'll be first choice 12, I also suspect he'll be 2nd choice 10. Mills should figure more next season, and I'd imagine he'll focus on 12 (and be Billy's understudy).

I'm not so sure about that. Given their selection and preferences this season, if Burns was injured I think they'd start Taylor at 10, Twelvetrees would remain at 12 and Mills would be on the bench.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 14 May 2012, 9:26 am

Without knowing who the DoR will be I'd be very surprised if 36 is seen as the back up FH. It would be disruptive to keep moving the IC and thus changing 2 positions. Taylor is more than adequate as back up. Similarly with 36 providing a kicking game, this would take pressure off Mills if he starts at FH.

I'm sure we will have a few games next season where the inexperience of the backs will show. However, I'm also sure we'll have a few games where the enthusiasm of youth wins us matches too.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 May 2012, 10:16 am

Londonirishollie wrote:Glaws have a seriously young backline next season. It could be

There is really very little experience in the outside backs. With JSD being the only one who is experienced however he doesn't seem the type of player to be a calming influence on the others around him. Even if Morgan starts at 15 instead of May i could still see this backline being very inconsistent. But when they get it right they will be devestating.

Glaws are very similar to Irish in terms of having great backs but an average at best pack. Does their recruitment look like this is changing?

I think both London Irish and Gloucester have the players to do well. I just think it's the coaching and lack of belief.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 14 May 2012, 10:56 am

He'll blossom at 12 for gloucester, week in and week out rugby....Cockerill really annoyed me with his parting comments aimed at billy, why risk your international career playing a bit part role off the bench and being shifted around the backline when now really is the time to cement yourself.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 May 2012, 10:58 am

Personally I think Billy should have gone to Saints.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 17 May 2012, 10:34 am

beshocked wrote:Personally I think Billy should have gone to Saints.

Good call actually. Saints need a quality inside centre and he would've been in between experienced players like Dickson, Lamb, Pisi and Foden. Not sure he would've fit into the Saints crash and bash approach for their 12's though

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 May 2012, 10:52 am

I would say that his head was turned more by the derisory offer made by Tigers... But I don't want to bring up that old chesnut again as it'll really get you going!

I suspect it was what Tigers could afford, Bowden won't have signed for anything more than what they offered Twelvetrees. Glaws were happy to offer more because they had more room in the cap to fill with EFS leaving have been on a nice salary.

Cockerill really annoyed me with his parting comments aimed at billy

The "yes he's staying and he'll sign the contract" on the Monday and then on the Wednesday "actually he's off to Gloucester because they've offered more cash and the 12 shirt". No wonder there was a parting shot from Cockers as that is pretty unprofessional from Billy's agent.

Good call actually. Saints need a quality inside centre and he would've been in between experienced players like Dickson, Lamb, Pisi and Foden. Not sure he would've fit into the Saints crash and bash approach for their 12's though

Nah, Saints would have been better bidding for Allen. The 12 at the Saints is the linchpin in their defence. Despite his size Billy is not a particularly good defensive organiser and the signing of Luther Burrell will add that security in defence for the Saints backline. Saints need to sort out the issues at fly half. The chances are Saints would have moved Billy into the 10 shirt and utilised a cheap young 12 like Burrell anyway.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 May 2012, 10:54 am

My thoughts exactly gowales though I still feel one of Saint's weaknesses is fly half. Twelvetrees could have become a 10 for them possibly.

Look at the other top 4 teams

Quins have Evans and Clegg, Leicester have Flood and Ford, Saracens have Hodgson and Farrell.

Saints have Lamb and Myler - just not a fair comparison.

Twelvetrees is a big lad. I think the Leicester fans said he is 16 stone plus so crash ball wouldn't be out of the question.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 May 2012, 11:04 am

Twelvetrees is a big lad. I think the Leicester fans said he is 16 stone plus so crash ball wouldn't be out of the question

He can crash ball but it is a waste, at 6 foot something a good low tackle will have plenty of leg to aim at to chop him down. He has enough pace and handling skills to play a much wider game which is what Glaws will love. Burns to Twelvetrees and then with Billy's range the entire back division is open to take a flat pass at pace. Could make the backline at Glaws really tick.

I'm imagine it would be Cowan, Burns, JSD, 36, Trinder, Sharples, Morgan with Lewis, Mills, May on the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 11:43 am

I think Sam is right - with the realtive inexperience of the backline Morgan will definitely feature when fit. Despite May's plaudits there is still no doubt that Morgan is the best FB at the club and with the signing of Martyn Thomas we may see May popping up more at wing and OC next season. I still feel May's long term position can be FB as it allows him the space to do his magic, but he needs to improve his kicking and defensive allignment.

Despite the woeful end to the season for Glaws I am very optimistic about next season. We're being heavily linked to Nigel Davies for DoR and he'd be able to bring the type of game that would suit our players and I firmly bellieve 36 will play a central part in that. For the last year we've had ICs either more interested in their own publicity or incapable of passing, so 36's arrival is long overdue!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 May 2012, 12:23 pm

HongKongCherry wrote: For the last year we've had ICs either more interested in their own publicity or incapable of passing, so 36's arrival is long overdue!

The new Holywood movie based on Glaws - "Twit and Twitter", with the sequel "Twitter and Tw@tter"

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 18 May 2012, 1:42 pm

Londonirishollie wrote:Glaws have a seriously young backline next season. It could be

Don't forget Martyn Thomas, who will probably feature at fullback until Olly Morgan is 100% fit. I think May will be benched, switching with JSD as and when appropriate.

Also got Dan Robson, who will hopefully make more appearances next season and learn from Cowan.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down