The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season

+14
GunsGerms
Rory_Gallagher
propdavid_london
bluestonevedder
HERSH
sirtidychris
BelfastDickVet
yappysnap
Geordie
jeffwinger
niwatts
formerly known as Sam
stnick88
alcoombe
18 posters

Go down

Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season Empty Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season

Post by alcoombe Mon 14 May 2012, 4:44 pm

Timhen posted this elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own topic.

http://www.espnscrum.com/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/164073.html

Toulon flanker Steffon Armitage has been named the Top 14's Player of the Season by influential French rugby newspaper Midi Olimpique.

The England international, who made the switch from Premiership side London Irish to French rugby's top flight last summer, edged out Castres' Chris Masoe and Clermont Auvergne's Gerhard Vosloo for the honour of the league's top performer.

Spoiler:

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season Empty Re: Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season

Post by stnick88 Mon 14 May 2012, 4:48 pm

Deserved

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season Empty Re: Armitage named Top 14 Player of the Season

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 May 2012, 4:58 pm

How long is his contract out there?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 14 May 2012, 5:39 pm

He's got another 2 years on his contract, which is the same that Delon signed for, though Guy has 3.

Some interesting comments from the Toulon management the other day as well:

Wilkinson’s actually been eclipsed this season at Toulon by one of his countryman, the former London Irish flanker Steffon Armitage who has been overlooked for England’s tour to South Africa. It’s a situation that bemuses Laporte. “He’s international class!” exclaims Laporte. “I struggle to understand why he’s been forgotten by the [England] selectors but so much the better for us!”

It’s a sentiment echoed by Mourad Boudjellal, who was recently gracious enough to admit he has his former coach to thank for the decision to sign the 26-year-old Armitage last summer. “Philippe Saint-Andre was really insistent that we recruit him. I wanted [James] Haskell but Philippe was like a dog with a bone. He wanted [Armitage] and no one else. Today I don’t regret that I listened to him.”

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/top-14-focus-toulons-galacticos-near-summit/

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 14 May 2012, 6:08 pm

I'm glad to hear he's done so well out there. I was never particularly impressed with him at LI or in his brief England career, but he always looked to have great potential.

Would be interested to hear what some non-English fans think of Armitage? Do you think we're mad to ignore him? Would you have him in your international squads?

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 May 2012, 10:20 pm

I think his non selection for the SA tour suggests he might aswell forget about England....which is a shame.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 10:44 pm

He's not available for England selection for South Africa, as the beginning of the tour co-incides with the end of the Top-14 season.

He's a shoo-in for the Autumn internationals as far as I'm concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 May 2012, 10:50 pm

I would hope so Mawhis...but we shall see...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 May 2012, 10:54 pm

Can't see him being picked, they'll keep making the right noioses to keep him keen but until he's back in England he wont pull on the white shirt.

Shame as he's trimmed up and gained a heck of a lot of muscle and power and is an absolute unit now. And he loves scoring tries at the moment.

Robshaw
Armitage
Morgan

Would be an immense backrow if it was ever given the chance.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Tue 15 May 2012, 12:53 am

Any time i have had the pleasure of watching toulon this season he has been the standout player! his move to France has developed/ is developing him into a true world class player!

i personally think the England setup is mad to ignore him, especially since they are finally forming a solid international side under competent management!

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 15 May 2012, 8:54 am

i fear for steffan that by the time the autumn arrives tom and tom will be fit and raring to go leaving steffan sunning himself in Toulon. To be honest i think we have to make special dispensations for him...we desperatly need an openside we have soo many blindsides !!!

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 15 May 2012, 9:10 am

He deserves a chance with England, quality player if his allowed to settle into the England set up. thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 15 May 2012, 9:14 am

Really well deserved. I hope that it was SL's intentions to get him in the squad, but that the end of the TOP14 season ultimately meant he couldn't be selected.

Would love to see that backrow yappysnap

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 15 May 2012, 2:06 pm

Come on guys - Armitage isnt selected because of his club availability and the fact that he wouldnt be able to attend any of the training session prior to tour.

I have no doubt that he will be in the mix for the autumn tests.
Croft I think may be a long term injury. Wood may well be in the mix.

But I love the options of picking a back row from -
Wood, Robshaw, Armitage, Tom Johnston, Haskell, Morgan and Waldrom.

I agree with Yappy though -
Robshaw/Armitage/Morgan could be imense

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 15 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Robshaw/Armitage/Morgan could be immense

I agree and could surpass Hill/Back/Dallaglio IMO
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 15 May 2012, 2:14 pm

I would take Robshaw out and put Haskell in. Haskell and Morgan would be devastating in the same backrow.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 2:25 pm

Armitage looks good every time I see him for Toulon. Very physical excellent in the loose, good hands. I thought I was looking at Basterau the first time I was him. He might be a little overweight? Decent player though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Robshaw/Armitage/Morgan could be immense

I agree and could surpass Hill/Back/Dallaglio IMO

Robshaw isn't in the same league as Hill, Armitage doesn't have anywhere near the same smarts in the dark arts as Backie even if he is a much better ball carrier and Morgan doesn't have the go forward for 80 mins of rugby for whatever reason (I presume Glaws and England will change his conditioning) so is hardly up there with the work rate of Captain Ego. They've got a long way to go if they want to be as brutally efficient as the 2003 backrow.

Croft I think may be a long term injury

He will be back in September.

I would take Robshaw out and put Haskell in.

Would add a lot in terms of power and attack but Haskell is not captain quality as he has even less brain cells than Robshaw. Not sure Haskell would bring the same work load in defence as Robshaw and with Haskell and Armitage both prefering to work closer in the breakdown and Morgan having limited work rate England would lose the extra steel in the defensive line they got with Croft (Wood can also play this role) dropping wider and causing havoc.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 15 May 2012, 2:44 pm

Sam - It took Hill/Back/ Big Lolnearly 3yrs of on off games together to become the formidable unit that they were.
Youve got to give these guys time together.

Croft back in Sept would be great news - add Croft into the mix for the selectors too then and we have some real competition for places for a change - this is good stuff.

We can have Robshaw/Croft/Morgan with the likes of an Armitage or Haskell to come off the bench - devestating.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 15 May 2012, 3:05 pm

Robshaw does all of the quite stuff to allow players like Armitage and Morgan to run about like loons.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 May 2012, 3:24 pm

Bernard Laporte has been rather critical of Steffon's fitness this season (should have tried to do something about it perhaps) suggesting he drifts in and out of games being anonymous for long periods.

Nick Cain has suggested in The Rugby Paper that he should have been selected so he can understand the fitness levels that are required to play at the top level.

Either way,, can you imagine just how knackered Robshaw would be having to cover for Armitrage and Morgan for the whole match?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 May 2012, 3:26 pm

yappysnap wrote:Robshaw does all of the quite stuff to allow players like Armitage and Morgan to run about like loons.

Like Lancaster (and O'Shea?) I see robshaw as a 7. Give him time and he will grow in to the role. I do not see that any back row can afford two players there who fade out of games due to fitness.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 15 May 2012, 8:58 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Come on guys - Armitage isnt selected because of his club availability and the fact that he wouldnt be able to attend any of the training session prior to tour.

But Prop David...i thought Haskell is to miss the first test aswell?

If thats the case...it says alot...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 15 May 2012, 9:20 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:Come on guys - Armitage isnt selected because of his club availability and the fact that he wouldnt be able to attend any of the training session prior to tour.

But Prop David...i thought Haskell is to miss the first test aswell?

As I understand it he will be available for the first test, the extension only affects one Highlander game.

If thats the case...it says alot...

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 15 May 2012, 9:49 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Robshaw does all of the quite stuff to allow players like Armitage and Morgan to run about like loons.

Like Lancaster (and O'Shea?) I see robshaw as a 7. Give him time and he will grow in to the role. I do not see that any back row can afford two players there who fade out of games due to fitness.

I see both Armitage and Robshaw as two players who can share duties, the real difference is that Robshaw tackles loads and is prepared to take a beating to make a few yards while Armitage is great at all the dynamic stuff.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 16 May 2012, 10:19 am

People make it sound as if Steff was crap when he was with Irish! He was outstanding for the past 4 seasons and won a number of player of the season awards. His form in Toulon has come as no surprise to me.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 17 May 2012, 11:28 am

Robshaw and Armitage could be quite a good combination me thinks, it would leave you a little short on jumping options though. Robshaw does the dirty work while Armitage can then rome and have a go. I don't think he would go very well with Croft though, they're both a little too similar in a way. Haskell or Wood would compliment him as well though.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down