The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

+24
mystiroakey
paulscholes
kemet
dyrewolfe
Carrotdude
eirebilly
VTR
Makrish
gboycottnut
GSC
robbo277
msp83
JDizzle
alfie
Liam
trebellbobaggins
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
Biltong
Stella
Shelsey93
Fists of Fury
Duty281
28 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 16 May 2012, 8:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a little under 15 hours now until the English Test Summer gets underway with the first of three tests against the lowly West Indies. This is seen as little more than a tune up for England, with the bigger obstacle of South Africa to come later in the summer.

Indeed, England are seen as overwhelming favourites for the series despite a disappointing Winter campaign in the UAE and Sri Lanka which saw them just about hold on to their World no.1 ranking. In the red corner, the West Indies are coming over to England on the back of a 2-0 home defeat to the Australians but their captain Darren Sammy remains hopeful of an upset.

Teams

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Jonny Bairstow, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Graeme Swann, 11 James Anderson

West Indies 1 Adrian Barath, 2 Kieran Powell, 3 Kirk Edwards, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Marlon Samuels, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Darren Sammy (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Ravi Rampaul, 11 Fidel Edwards

Cricinfo Preview
10 Day Weather Forecast for London

Enjoy!

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 17 May 2012, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 12:50 pm

uh oh, Bumble's just mentioned Jerome Taylor to Michael Holding in the commentary box, this should be fun Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 12:53 pm

"I would like to bowl to the administration of WI cricket, that's who I would like to bowl to" Laugh

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 18 May 2012, 12:56 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:uh oh, Bumble's just mentioned Jerome Taylor to Michael Holding in the commentary box, this should be fun Very Happy

It was Very Happy

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 1:04 pm

Lunch, and England will be more than happy to have progressed to 80/1. A good morning's work for them. WI over-rate very ordinary, they need to watch that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:11 pm

England will just accumulate runs now and grind the Windies down, we'll probably be in the lead come stumps.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:12 pm

England's session by all accounts. They wasted absolutely no time whatsoever to dispose off the last wicket, and reached lunch at a comfortable 80-1 wth captain Andrew Strauss slowly getting some of his touch back, and Jonathan Trott, playing a rather busy innings by his standards. They could hae done without that Cook wicket, but I guess that just reward for Kemar Roach.

For the West Indies, a disappointing morning. Couldn't add a run to their overnight score, nd then encountered with a pitch that is on the fltter side, they couldn't really come up with anything special to undo the English batters. Roach produced some pretty good balls, and was rewarded with Cook's wicket, and young Gabriel bowled alright, and he hs the makings of a decent tallent. Edwards wasn't really at his best, he managed to swing the ball in the past, but he hasn't really managed any of it today. Sammy was, well, Sammy, bowled his military medium on a decent line and length, gained no movement whatsoever, and as the batters didn't really try to take him on, there was no wicket either, and of course a half-chance went flying above him to add to some unimaginative captaincy.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Makrish Fri 18 May 2012, 1:34 pm

Going back to Cook's dismissal, does anyone else think he's trying to be too aggressive? I agree that he can play aggressively, as seen in the ODI's against Pakistan, but his characteristic defensive play has been proven to be suited to Tests.

Today, his first boundary (the edge which nearly carried), the barely-controlled cut for four through slips and the last cut which got him out seemed at odds to how he played in the last Ashes and most of his big innings since. Frankly, if he's trying to be more aggressive to combat criticism that he's "boring", he's in the wrong. We have "entertainers" in KP, Swann, Broad, Prior, Bell, but Cook and Trott are there to accumulate runs and tire out the bowlers.

Makrish

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:37 pm

Makrish wrote:Going back to Cook's dismissal, does anyone else think he's trying to be too aggressive? I agree that he can play aggressively, as seen in the ODI's against Pakistan, but his characteristic defensive play has been proven to be suited to Tests.

Today, his first boundary (the edge which nearly carried), the barely-controlled cut for four through slips and the last cut which got him out seemed at odds to how he played in the last Ashes and most of his big innings since. Frankly, if he's trying to be more aggressive to combat criticism that he's "boring", he's in the wrong. We have "entertainers" in KP, Swann, Broad, Prior, Bell, but Cook and Trott are there to accumulate runs and tire out the bowlers.

He played well until he get out. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time, and he did today. Not much to be concerned about.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 May 2012, 1:52 pm

That was close, just clipping leg and WI have lost their first review, England 82/1.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 1:56 pm

I don't mind Cook playing with a bit of aggression. OK , he got out this time , and you could perhaps think he didn't show the bowlers enough respect , but in all honesty he could have been dismissed that way any time: it is a shot he plays a lot and sometimes it goes wrong...

In a way , I'd sooner he got out that way than one of those lbw-getting the footwork- wrong dismissals or edging behind-trying not to get hit on the pads...at least this is unlikely to become a pattern.

Think he'll be cursing himself for getting out though - I fancy he will be watching some teammates enjoy themselves for a day or two now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 2:01 pm

How lucky is Trott !

Just nicked Sammy to the keeper and got away with it - a half hearted appeal from Ramdin and unsurprisingly ignored by the umpire...mark on the bat is clear enough.

Might be his day...

Last edited by alfie on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clean up typo)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 18 May 2012, 2:02 pm

West Indies starting to look disinterested. England looking comfortable, could bat them out of the game by end of play tommorow.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 May 2012, 2:02 pm

Trott should have been out then...lucky lucky boy. Now go on and make a century!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 2:06 pm

yep Trott nicked that, but for some reason WI didn't really appeal. Half-hearted from Ramdin, Shiv at slip was keen. Sammy only joined in much later. Very odd Headscratch

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Makrish Fri 18 May 2012, 2:08 pm

Sure, Cook's played well. My point is that he plays better defensively. He's timing his good shots well, gets good placement, but he's not getting as high scores as he does when he plays defensively. Take the home tour against South Africa in 2008 - you won't find anyone who would say he was in form then, but he scored half-centuries in each of the 4 Test matches by grafting. He scored more consistently in 2008 out of form than he did in 2011, in form. Even when he scored his 294 against India, he got out by playing an semi-aggressive shot, when he could have gotten to 300 by nurdling singles. Although he may get runs playing aggressively, he's always more consistent when playing the anchor.

Makrish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 2:15 pm

these two in danger of getting a little stuck here you feel, need to try to rotate the strike a bit more...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 2:23 pm

A burst of scoring for Strauss after a longish spell of grafting.

Think he'd really like to make this a big one , to get the critics off his back as much as for his own confidence.

Hundred up , not without a couple of scares for Trott.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 May 2012, 2:27 pm

fifty for Strauss clap

too loose from Sammy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Well done cap'n. Now push on and silence those critics.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 2:52 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Well done cap'n. Now push on and silence those critics.

Critics can never be "silenced" , Fists , they just bide their time ...

Might muffle them a bit though Smile

Strauss has played as well as I've seen him for a long time ...just hope he goes on and really cashes in now he's done the hard work...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 May 2012, 2:54 pm

Great to hear, Alfie. Hopefully these two grind them right down and then KP, Belly, Bairstow and Prior can really cash in and score quickly.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 3:13 pm

The new man , Gabriel , is keeping up good pace but getting not much joy for it - may be losing it a bit with a horrid leg side four byes that gave the keeper no hope...
Smart move from Sammy to take him off then I think - no sense in killing the young man today.

Though someone is going to have to bowl a lot of overs in this innings I reckon...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 18 May 2012, 3:44 pm

Interesting on Trott's bit of luck. This to me highlights the gulf between the teams, in that WI need everything to run perfectly for them to compete.

Let's imagine for example the same thing happened to England yesterday, you'd still back the bowlers to create another chance and for any bad luck to not be too damaging. With Trott today you feel that's Windies big chance gone, he's not looked at all troubled since and is likely to cash in (arguably already has with the 60-70 runs added in the partnership since).

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 May 2012, 3:50 pm

If Pietersen manages to get in I fear for this Windies attack. An on-form Pietersen could seriously take them apart.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Makrish Fri 18 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Hopefully Bairstow will get in to bat tomorrow. Not that I want England to collapse, just see how Bairstow will fit in during a Test match.

Makrish

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 4:37 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:West Indies starting to look disinterested. England looking comfortable, could bat them out of the game by end of play tommorow.

Why then isn't Darren Sammy getting his team of players together in a huddle in order to try and get the team to up the intensity levels. I thought that was what he was supposed to be in the WI team for.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 4:41 pm

Could do with a lift in the overrate ... Looks like being a pretty late finish the way they're going , and no spinner handy to improve it.

Poor old Sammy doesn't want to get pinged for slow rate , so no time for pep talks Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 4:45 pm

Makrish wrote:Hopefully Bairstow will get in to bat tomorrow. Not that I want England to collapse, just see how Bairstow will fit in during a Test match.

I guess Bairstow will get in eventually. But if he comes in at 450/4 I'm not sure it will tell us much about him at Test level...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 4:53 pm

Strauss dropped - off a no ball ... Nothing going right for West Indies...

The skipper up to 96 ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 4:56 pm

But Trott has gone...

Good catch Ramdin. clap And a fair reward for Sammy who has bowled a good spell here...

Useful hand from Trott - he has set England up nicely. Not for the first time.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Makrish Fri 18 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Trott out, KP in. Let's see what he can do! Hopefully mess with the Windies' bowlers heads, so Strauss can get to his century quickly.

Makrish

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 4:58 pm

alfie wrote:Strauss dropped - off a no ball ... Nothing going right for West Indies...

The skipper up to 96 ...

Dropped by Chanderpaul of all people. The West Indies selectors should drop now Chanderpaul from the next test match V England to show that no one in the WI team is invincible from getting the boot.

Last edited by gboycottnut on Fri 18 May 2012, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 5:03 pm

Nice meaty shot from KP to get off the mark ... Don't think he'll mind if Fidel tries a few more short ones...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 5:08 pm

well done straussy clap

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 5:12 pm

A well timed cut brings Strauss to a timely hundred clap

Gets a bit of pressure off him at the start of the summer ...

... And even more important , means I can think about getting some sleep Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 5:18 pm

West Indies should seriously consider dropping Chanderpaul for dropping that catch which allowed Strauss to reach his century.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 5:21 pm

gboycottnut wrote:West Indies should seriously consider dropping Chanderpaul for dropping that catch which allowed Strauss to reach his century.

Drop the highest scoring batsman from the first inning, the #1 rated batsman in the world?
For what, dropping a catch off a no ball?

Wow, simply wow.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 5:26 pm

Close of play in 30mins and still 19 overs to bowl. Thats slow going.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 5:28 pm

eirebilly wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:West Indies should seriously consider dropping Chanderpaul for dropping that catch which allowed Strauss to reach his century.

Drop the highest scoring batsman from the first inning, the #1 rated batsman in the world?
For what, dropping a catch off a no ball?

Wow, simply wow.

From the view of an England fan, yes the West Indies selectors should do this just for the next test match.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 5:30 pm

Are you serious goboycottnut?

Drop Shiv for that?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 5:32 pm

For a dropped catch off a no ball??

I can't understand the logic there what so ever.

I am playing catch up via Sky+

Man it has gotten dark out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 May 2012, 5:34 pm

Lovely to see Strauss get a century; his first since Brisbane 2010 and his first in England since 2009. England well placed here, KP just hit a 4.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 5:35 pm

Kp looks seriously confident out there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Another 4 for KP, England now trailing by 14. Very ominous for the WIndies.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 5:41 pm

eirebilly wrote:Are you serious goboycottnut?

Drop Shiv for that?

Even though his name ends in "nut" , I am reasonably sure he is being funny there , billy Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 5:41 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:For a dropped catch off a no ball??

I can't understand the logic there what so ever.

I am playing catch up via Sky+

Man it has gotten dark out there.

Well if England can't get Chanderpaul out cheaply, then a method should be devised to prevent him from playing altogether in the next test match.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 5:43 pm

Must be slow alfie. gboycottnut does come out with some gems at times Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 5:44 pm

eirebilly wrote:Kp looks seriously confident out there.

Where the heck is that West Indian bowler who managed to reduce KP's confidence by knocking his helmet off in the 2007 Lords test match? Oh yes, he isn't playing on the current tour due to IPL commitments.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 May 2012, 5:44 pm

Going to be a bit of overtime today I think... Over rate has been dreadful.

A man should get some sleep but KP looks as if he is going to entertain here against some weary bowlers...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 18 May 2012, 5:46 pm

Great comment by Geoff Boycott just now on TMS "Ian Bell has more chance picking his nose than picking a doosra!".

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next