The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What club/s do you use the least?

+8
barragan
oldparwin
super_realist
Fader
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Nay
Steffan
12 posters

Go down

What club/s do you use the least? Empty What club/s do you use the least?

Post by Steffan Sun 20 May 2012, 5:21 pm

Im still pretty new getting back into golf so im still only playing par 3 and par 4 hole courses at the moment so maybe my situation is a bit different to some of you on here but I gotta say the 8 iron gets no use at all. I havnt got a 5 iron and cant honeslty say iv come across a hole where I need one yet. Im also not that keen on using woods but unlike some of my fellow new players I can hit the ball quite well with a 3 iron off the tee. Which club/s would you say you use the least?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

What club/s do you use the least? Empty Re: What club/s do you use the least?

Post by Nay Sun 20 May 2012, 6:10 pm

For me, my 60 deg wedge.

On average if i have a hazard free round, I will use it once a round. But its main job is for when i am in bunkers and so has a purpose in the bag.

All clubs in my bag will get used though, if they were not to get used I wouldn't put them in the bag as I could carry a club that would benefit me instead

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 20 May 2012, 6:16 pm

I have driver yips and seldom use it unless briiming with confidence, which means not often.
Frequently play without it cluttering my bag at all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 20 May 2012, 8:33 pm

60 degree has not been in the bag since about last september. Of clubs that regularly go into the bag the 3 wood is not used that often. There is no way I would go for something 230+ out so it is of little use of the fairway and if I am hitting it well then I always feel the driver is the club from the tee. The increased accuracy of the 3 wood from the tee must be marginal.

Kwini

Have you ever read about Brad Faxons driver yips? I think he went about a year on tour without using a driver much more than once a round. According to one of the Rotella books Faxon got over his fear of the driver by working out how to think about where he wanted the ball to go and not where he didn't want it to go. I think he tries to make the change in mental status to do with the driver of the course and not on it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 20 May 2012, 8:57 pm

Use the least? Probably my driver in recent weeks is the least used club in my bag, got into the habit of hitting 3wood off most par 4 tees to play for position, even use it normally on our 9th hole which is a par 5 as well from the tee.

I'm confident with my driver and would say I hit a lot of fairways with it, I've just found that not using it all the time improves my course management and my scores as a result.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 9:00 pm

my 8 iron rarely gets used, same with my 6 iron.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 20 May 2012, 9:04 pm

Driver for me. If a hole is under 400 yards it just isn't necessary for me. Maybe 3-5 times a round.
I'll usually hit a club which will leave me my optimum yardages for my second shot. Being in the right place is more important than hitting as far as I can.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 20 May 2012, 9:45 pm

I have taken my 3 and 4 iron out the bag and replaced them with 23 degree and a 20 degree hybrids.

Shot 2 shots below my handicap today, so I am impressed with my decision to swap

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 20 May 2012, 10:04 pm

oldparwin wrote:I have taken my 3 and 4 iron out the bag and replaced them with 23 degree and a 20 degree hybrids.

Shot 2 shots below my handicap today, so I am impressed with my decision to swap
Im the opposite. Even as a newbie golfer who cant hit that far I can use my 3 and 4 irons much better than a hybrid

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 20 May 2012, 10:27 pm

tough question for me at the moment. before October i'd have definitely said my 60deg wedge, but that's made way for a three wood. generally i use most clubs quite regularly and don't turn down a club based on lack of regularity with it. i guess the three wood is the only one i'll swither over a bit. generally only used off 2 or 3 tees where a wayward driver would put me in deep shizzle, or i'm needing something a little more penetrating than my 2iron hybrid. if i was to carry out an in depth study i'm sure it would probably turn out to be one of the irons i guess.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 21 May 2012, 4:01 pm

Bit like ban - been using them all. In fact, used every club in the bag on both Friday and Saturday. Thinking about it, maybe the 4-iron is used the least on my home course at the moment - when (if!) it warms up, I doubt I'll use either the 3- or 4-irons as much.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 21 May 2012, 11:32 pm

not using my 3 wood- but then its not in the bag- not really using my long irons either- course is playing quite short

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 22 May 2012, 11:00 am

Course playing short?

Where are you playing? I don't think there's a course in the UK that isn't playing about 500 yards longer than normal for mid May.

I won a competition on Saturday (in quite tough conditions) with a score that would have seen my handicap going up last year. I played well, but didn't think I had any chance of winning it.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 11:02 am

surrey- but being forced to play of the yellow tees at present

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 22 May 2012, 11:16 am

George

I get the feeling you southerners are not as exposed to the wind as us folks living in Scotland. The wind conditions have a much bigger bearing on how long the course plays than wet fairways. I have noticed that the usual 3 club wind the feels ever present in the Edinburgh region has been subdued a little during the wet spell. So actually a lot of holes are playing much shorter, and a lot easier than normal.

You can factor in situations such as one where you previously had a down wind shot to a firm green and now have an easy shot where the ball just stops on the green due to the softer conditions.

I am not arguing with you about your course being harder, the CSS will prove that is the case, but just saying that those of us usually plagued by high winds my not find the current conditions harder.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 11:21 am

personally i find my course to playing at optimon conditions at present. balls stop, greens are immaculate but not yet lightning quick, abit of wind but not to much. We do have loads of wind on my course mind its in a valley- i doubt as much as many courses closer to the sea or courses up north mind. But quite abit compared to others around

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 22 May 2012, 12:31 pm

I have to say our course with the conditions as they are also plays easier, were right on the thames estuary and wet conditions have totally calmed down the wind meaning you can really go at the flags! Admittedly winds not as high as up north anyway, but a lot stronger than 95% of parkland courses in my area.

The lack of wind means our course is probably a good shots on average easier maybe more.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 24 May 2012, 4:40 pm

5 iron for me. That and my 64 degree wedge. In fact I took them out of my bag in January and I only put them back in yesterday as my chiropractor told me to get a trolley so figure I can deal with the weight!

The way my course seems to be is either long (440+ yard) par 4 where I would probably be driver and hybrid or much shorter where I would have to had hit a stinker to need the 5i.

I seem to drift towards the clubs I like so that is probably why I would rather hit something short and then chip than go for the tough one. 3w goes in same catagory. Off the tee once or twice a round but never off the deck.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down