The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tribute to Stephen Hendry

5 posters

Go down

Tribute to Stephen Hendry Empty Tribute to Stephen Hendry

Post by Seifer Almasy Sun 20 May 2012, 6:40 pm

Over the years I have certainly been Hendry's biggest critic. A lot of the anger I seemed to have was more down to the trolls who loved to mention his records to wind up the O'Sullivan fans...

It is no secret that I do not like Hendry much.... I think his overall records are widely inflated. I find his game boring, robotic and selfish. He, like most professionals, plays only for himself. He doesn't care about the paying audience or entertainment and he wouldn't even be playing without them. I detested his smug, arrogance in his winning years and having to watch Jimmy White suffer so many heart-breaking defeats. Comments by Hendry even more recently, haven't exactly endeared me to the man. He stated he would not be happy for someone to make a 147 against him and would hate it. I find this rather incredible... that he would begrudge another the chance to make such a lovely break. He also stated he asked his wife to prepare the clothes he would wear for his world championship victory before he had even contested round 1.

So it is fair to say me and Hendry are never going to be best pals on forums...

However, saying that, I do want to pay tribute to the things I do appreciate and respect. Hendry is a work horse and model professional. His dedication to winning and hunger for the game may never be seen again. He always respected his opponents on the table; he never used gamesmanship, he had far too much class for that nonsense. Hendry's work ethic is something to behold and admire. If everyone had that level of patience and effort, what a world we would live in.

There was a time in the 90s that I honestly couldn't wait to see the back end of Hendry... but to my great amazement, when that day came, I found I was not really filled with any joy at all. It was a sad day, even for me. To see a legend brutally demolished and then retire. Hendry was a dilemma for me. I couldn't enjoy him winning, but I found that I also couldn't enjoy him losing. Seeing a legend lose and become a whipping boy was not a nice thing at all.. so in that way it is a relief for me to see him retire.

I respect Hendry as a player and he will never be forgotten as long as Snooker exists. He is a legend and one of the greatest players of all time. I want to give Hendry my best wishes with whatever he chooses to do from now on, and I look forward to hearing more of his amazing commentary in the coming season.

Good luck, Stephen.

Last edited by Seifer Almasy on Sun 20 May 2012, 10:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Tribute to Stephen Hendry Empty Re: Tribute to Stephen Hendry

Post by The Special Juan Sun 20 May 2012, 7:43 pm

Well written, especially as I know how much you dislike him.

Hendry had a winners mentality which was a fantastic thing to have. I don't think he ever gave up and always had to be "the best". It's something I admire. Sure, he's smug and arrogant but I think that's all to do with being a "winner". Something he was born with.

As for the "boring, robotic and selfish", whilst he's not flamboyant, at the end of the day he (and all players) are playing for money and a life, by any means necessary. Yes, we wish they could all play like a White, Trump, Ronnie, Alex Higgins but not all can and they have to earn the money. At the end of the day, who will be happier with their career? Jimmy or Stephen?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Sun 20 May 2012, 7:47 pm

Perhaps Stephen is with career but he made the point that Jimmy had a much better life... he was partying a lot and Hendry was bored in practice :P

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 20 May 2012, 7:58 pm

Indeed! Smile Did you see the feature during the final when they interviewed Stephen and Jimmy and Jimmy said he was out partying and Stephen was practicing? I admire Stephen's.... relentlessness?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Sun 20 May 2012, 10:40 pm

I did Wink Was nice to see those two together reminiscing about life and was a valuable incite into their differences. Personally I would be happier if I was Jimmy... although not winning the WC at least once is a travesty.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 21 May 2012, 7:44 am

Well written Seifer OK

I loved that piece they did on Jimmy and Hendry, especially Jimmy's comment that summed up Hendry to me. 'i enjoyed nothing more than playing then partying, Hendry enjoying playing, practicing and picking up trophey's. That winners mentality set Hendry apart.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Mon 21 May 2012, 6:18 pm

Won the lowest ever amount on Big Break ( which ran for 11 years ). if memory serves me right it was £30 (3 reds). Laugh

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Mon 21 May 2012, 10:02 pm

Did he??? I remember Jimmy always doing well! Goes to show you what time pressure can do.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 7:09 am

In a way, i am kind of happy that he has retired. I really enjoy him in the commentary box. Already my favourite commentator of the lot.

I did like the fact that he looked really taken aback when they asked him if he would be doing that stupid snooker quiz during the worlds next year. The look of horror on his face was priceless Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

Ronnie has also retired it seems.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

Nah, Ron hasn't retired. He is protesting against Hearn and the contract. I suspect you will see him play later this year... esp when he realises how boring life is away from Snooker.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down