The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Dreams Come True

+6
MTS1
sportslover
socal1976
Green
Geosynch
noleisthebest
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When Dreams Come True Empty When Dreams Come True

Post by noleisthebest Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

What is a dream when a dream comes true?
Is it still a dream, what does it do?

The heart like a cloud sails up sky away
HIgher and higher with the sun to play.

Up there the dream meets the birds of rare
Forever with the stars nightsky to share

The dream has come true for me as a Nole fan: Nole is finally playing at his full potential: his fitness, his maturity, his experience, his talent - everything has finally come together: in the fullness of time.

The forehand, the backhand, and oh, that fire in his belly.....

I know that Nole has two more dreams, but for me, my heart is so warm and I am so happy: I suppose that's what it feels like when dreams come true Smile !

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

When Dreams Come True Empty Re: When Dreams Come True

Post by Geosynch Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:34 pm

Hi nitb Smile Very impressed with nole just now. My 2nd fav player is keeping a smile on my face which is a good thing as my fav is playing like a right puddin' atm
Sad

It's only a matter of time I guess
Geosynch
Geosynch

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm

Hi, Nole! Hug

"I know what nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know its everybodys sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life is in books written pages
Live and learn from fools and from sages
You know its true
All the things come back to you"

(Dream On)

Smile

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 10:33 am

NITB, as a Nole fan who stuck with him like you have through the serving troubles of 09 and 10, isn't it amazing that right now Novak is winning a higher percentage of serving games than big servers like Andy Roddick and Roger Federer. He has worked so hard to get himself there, and has remained positive in an era dominated by two goat candidates, I for one really appreciate the effort.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:00 pm

Great work so far this year Nole but I want to see Andy "M" beating you at some stage before the end of it.

Preferably in a final (USO!)

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:22 pm

Sportslover, I took a lot of flak on old 606 when I rated Nole as better than Andy this was at the tail end of last year. But in my mind, Andy will get a slam, but I think that Novak is clearly stronger right now and if they played on a hardcourt in a grandslam final, I would certainly not put my money on Andy. But I do hope he gets a grandslam and gets back to the player that he really is.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by MTS1 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 7:54 pm

I think it is great to see Novak on this scorching form, NITB I hope to feel like you do when Andy pulls it together. Enjoy the feeling king

MTS1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm

Yes everyone I AM LOVING IT!!!!!!!! Every faithful fan deserves this kind of feeling <bubbly>

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm

Look forward to clay season. Nole is stronger and fitter than ever, I think he's got a chance of winning something other than Serbian Open this season Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:29 am

NITB, I think Novak will have a real good chance in madrid where because of the altitude the court play's faster. Monaco the slowest of the clay courts is not going to happen, but at Madrid I think he has a chance, also at Rome as well. But at RG and Monaco with slower conditions and or best of 5 sets on clay I think it will be tough.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu 07 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

Thought I'd leave you this for a bit of fun.

Is anyone taking orders??? :run2:
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 3:34 pm

Briliant, count me in Smile !

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 3:37 pm

Socal,

I really look forward to their matches on clay, Nole has got to win at least one title, he is better than Soderling etc, and I really don't se why he should not win one title (Rome?)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 07 Apr 2011, 6:58 pm

Nole was pretty close in Madrid 09.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 07 Apr 2011, 7:21 pm

Nitb, I think Madrid or Rome are places that if he plays really well he can take it. If he wants to get to number #1 like he has said is his dream. Then he has to find a way to break up the Nadal monopoly on clay. He has to find away to get one of the three Master's away from him. Madrid and Rome are his best chance. Rome is a quick court and Madrid the ball moves through the air faster. I think a real encouraging sign is that he won a lot of long rallies with Nadal in Miami, that he volleyed exceptionally well, and also that at the end of that 3 and half hour battle it was Nadal that looked more tired.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 07 Apr 2011, 9:47 pm

It would be good to have a knowledgeable Nadal fan lay out a case why Nadal is so powerful on clay, and maybe lay out how he crushed individual top players, eg. what he has over Federer or Nole on clay NOW.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:16 pm

Well I'm no Nadal fan, but I could perhaps warn you that Blake was looking in ominous form in the US Clay championships the other day.

Sadly Pablo Cuevas bought the umpire for the following round but at least Blakey's closer to the Top 150 again.

That should be enough to scare all sensible Djokovic fans.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:25 pm

laverfan wrote:Nole was pretty close in Madrid 09.
Very Happy

Hi, Laver! Welcome! Hug

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:28 pm

laverfan wrote:Nole was pretty close in Madrid 09.

Oh, hello there laverfan! thumbsup

Just in case you aren't aware of the system here, the forum is full of members like yourself, who are kept under control via moderators, who are in turn reporting to Global moderators, who answer to me and my army of bemused Star Trek captains:

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

Last edited by Solerina on Sun 10 Apr 2011, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 40 images of the Star Trek Captain was slightly too many....I'm just trying to keep the forum work friendly : ))

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm

First Wooffie with that T-shirt <yikes>, now News with his army!!! :run2:

And this thread started with a poem... :-(

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

It would be good to have a knowledgeable Nadal fan lay out a case why Nadal is so powerful on clay, and maybe lay out how he crushed individual top players, eg. what he has over Federer or Nole on clay NOW.
Shocked Well ... I have limited knowledge of the technicalities of the game, but I’ll have a bash. In simple terms, its the bounce and the backhand. Everyone knows that Rafa has excessive topspin on his forehand which means that on clay, he generates a much higher bounce than the other surfaces because it slows down on impact due the difference in the court. But with him being a leftie, it also gives him an advantage because his natural cross court shot is his most powerful forehand to his opponent’s backhand. Traditionally, a player’s weaker shot is the backhand and as is the case with Federer, because his is also one handed, Rafa’s hitting it higher to him than on the other surfaces, but Federer also can’t generate the same power back because of not having two hands. Hence, nearly every serve and most of Rafa’s shots are to the backhand, because the height and loss of speed means that what would ordinarily be winners for Federer, seem nothing other rally shots and Rafa can deal with them. When Federer tries to negate this and concentrate on Rafa’s backhand, it becomes too predictable.

Rafa also has fantastic court coverage and has the time to construct points on clay. You will see that usually his final shot is the most easiest to play because all of the hard work that has gone before. What he does is be patient, work hard, move his opponent around, till such a point that they are so far out of court that he moves into it himself, and he can take the ball on the rise and finish it with a volley ... volleys being something that he is now so proficient at doing. Another option is to keep his opponent moving so much and get him wider and wider out of court that he eventually wears them down and they are too tired to be able to make a killer shot. That’s also where Rafa’s supreme fitness comes in.

As for what he has over Feds and Nole now, well, with Federer, I think its as you were. I think its too late in the day for him to ever overcome Rafa now, although what he did in Madrid in 2009 was to keep the rallys short, not allow Rafa the time to construct the points and hit him with the unexpected drop-shot. Its still risky play because Rafa will eventually read it (but not that day, considering the marathon that had gone before). With Nole ... well, Nole doesn’t suffer as much with the one-handed backhand thing and he is a good returner. But where I think Rafa had him in the past is by keeping patient and this constant moving him around till he wore him out. With Nole’s seemingly increased fitness, this might make the difference for him now and that particular tactic of Rafa’s may fail him. But the top spin will still remain an issue on the slower clay courts, its whether he will still have the time for the points construction and the luxury of being fitter than Nole that might make the difference now.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm

Hello to Laverfan ! :waves:
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 6:24 am

Good analysis Wooffie, I would only add a couple of points to your argument. The heavy spin is accentuated on clay. The heavy spinning shot has a lot more weight on the ball the ball actually feels heavier when you hit it because of how fast the ball is spinning. On clay that heavy spin shoots up higher, and acts like a slingshot on the ball. Thus it makes it more difficult to hit for a winner because the ball is moving up and down, side to side, and it feels heavier when you make contact. When you try to flatten out a heavy spin shot if you don't hit it perfect it will go for an error.

Also you have variable bounces on clay, the players that stand up in the court and try to take the ball early are disadvantaged because unlike a hardcourt you don't get the same bounce all the time. So taking the ball early and on the rise is difficult. Sometimes the ball kicks up, sometimes it veers to the side, sometimes it hits and doesn't bounce hardly at all. Therefore the players that stand further back (like Nadal) and thake the ball later have the edge. They can wait for the adjustment and then swing through, and take a big spin producing cut on the ball.

Plus, Nadal's spin is different that 98 percent of the tour. Why he is a lefty, and left handed spin is especially tricky and takes a little getting used to. The balls spins on its axis in a completely opposite direction. That is why it is often so hard to return a lefty serve. Most top-spin shots also have and element of side to side motion, or sidespin on the ball. The lefty side spin can really throw you off.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 08 Apr 2011, 9:39 am

thanks Woffie & Socal!

All I can say that spin must be a mighty vicious weapon, the difference it makes obviously produces cruel consequences for the rivals....
I have a gut feeling that Nole's improved fitness has closed the gap significantly.
Add the faster forehand and brimming confidence, and he's got me hoping now!
(ooohh, when will I learn Wink )

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:26 am

NiTB, what I find encouraging more than anything was that at the end of the Miami final Nadal was leaning over and visibly tired and winded. While Djokovic in the tie breaker was hoping up and down. He went 3 hours and 3 minutes of intense long rallies and his fitness looked more than equal to the task. To beat Nadal on Clay, especially at RG he will have to have the energy and will power to play 6 hours of top level tennis. Can he do it, I think he can, his fitness and serve have both been so impressive.

What also should help Nole is that he is breaking the opposition at an amazing 43 percent rate. On clay he should be able to return even better as he has a bit more time to react.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 09 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm

socal,

I must say the fact that Novak outlasted NADAL and looked fresher at the end of that match is truly amazing and probably the biggest surprise even for me...

I know that he did tour de france style of prep in the off season and really dedicated his efforts into fitness which is obvisouly paying off fenomenally now.

Also the withdrawal from Monte Carlo is a really smart move.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

Nole,

there's life on this forum outside of the so-called "Nole's Place"... Very Happy

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:53 am

NITB, Novak's fitness looks so much better than just twelve months ago. I think he is doing a great job of scheduling where in the past he would just enter as many tournaments as he could for the points and prize money. Supposedly, he has brought in a doctor to help him with the respiratory and breathing issues and gotten fitter. But to beat Nadal on a clay court he is going to have to be able to play a whole tournament, then comeback in the final on the last day and give 4 hours maybe more of top notch tennis.

Also Nole has some advantages over Nadal. He is excellent at going up the line on both sides and changing direction on the ball about as well as anyone on tour. This can force Nadal to run a lot more as Nadal is more comfortable playing cross court on both wings. If they play on clay Novak has to go up the line and continually force Nadal to move more than he does, in a long war of attrition type match it will be crucial. But going up the line is more risky so he has to be careful to hit the right balance.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 10 Apr 2011, 9:14 am

Welcome Laverfan Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 10 Apr 2011, 9:21 am

Wooffie wrote: Well ... I have limited knowledge of the technicalities of the game, but I’ll have a bash.

Was that analysis your idea of limited knowledge Wooffie?.......you're too modest!

That was a very interesting read Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:58 am

Socal: "I think he is doing a great job of scheduling where in the past he would just enter as many tournaments as he could for the points and prize money."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
His scheduling is pretty much the same as before, it's just that he's already skipped two tournaments due to injuries (and fatigue, probably). There's a difference between winning all the tournaments one enters and going out in the early rounds... players can never be sure how they will do when planning a schedule.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:45 am

Green, I don't even think he was injured for Rotterdam, that was one of those injury annoucements right after AO, that sounds like a cover story, so does this one in my mind. I think he used the injury to not tick of the sponsors and the tournament director going into a big stretch of the season for him with Dubai, IW, and Miami coming back to back. The way he served during the hard court swing certainly didn't indicate a sore shoulder.

This also to me has some of the same feel. I am not saying he doesn't have a niggle here and there. But what I am saying is that he probably can play and can play well but instead is chosing to for go Monaco without get the ATP, the sponsors, or the tournament on his back.

He needs to play in Belgrade for his tournament to be financially viable. And he knows that he won't lose more than 60 points and that Fed can't catch him for the #2. Plus I think he wants to keep his psychological edge going into Rome and Madrid, where he actually will have a better chance to beat Nadal. Nadal is pretty unstoppable in general on clay but he has never lost in Monaco, and has lost both in Rome and in Madrid.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 10 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

Though I may agree on Rotterdam, I believe this time he really is injured. He's been wearing that knee strap ever since Dubai, and he's played a lot of matches since than... Perhaps it's not too serious, but he probably couldn't even prepare properly for Monte-Carlo and he didn't want to risk it getting worse.

Perhaps his family is putting pressure on him, but I don't think Belgrade is more important to him than MC. It's an ATP250 event after all... Also, it was well attended last year even though Novak went out early.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 10 Apr 2011, 2:47 pm

". And he knows that he won't lose more than 60 points and that Fed can't catch him for the #2. Plus I think he wants to keep his psychological edge going into Rome and Madrid, where he actually will have a better chance to beat Nadal. Nadal is pretty unstoppable in general on clay but he has never lost in Monaco, and has lost both in Rome and in Madrid. "

I second that <ok>

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 10 Apr 2011, 2:49 pm

"Perhaps his family is putting pressure on him, but I don't think Belgrade is more important to him than MC. It's an ATP250 event after all... Also, it was well attended last year even though Novak went out early."

I would like to believe that's not the case.....Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 10 Apr 2011, 2:50 pm

" *
* Report post to moderator or admin
* Lock post for new reports

Re: When Dreams Come True

Post by Green Yesterday at 11:31 pm
Nole,

there's life on this forum outside of the so-called "Nole's Place"... Very Happy

Green

I'm steel finding my way around here, it feels free and unopressed by various gangs

Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Apr 2011, 2:53 pm

Yes, but I haven't heard any report on what the knee injury is, he just says knee injury. And he doesn't say how many weeks he will be out. I actually read somewhere that it was a wrist injury. To me he probably is injured or tweeked a little. But I think he is using this more for mental and physical rest.

Plus I think he wants to keep that mental edge over Rafa, and I think he wants to make his stand against Rafa either at Rome or Madrid. Plus I think his really big target is wimbeldon. Having had so much success early in the season, he wants to have gas for the meat of the ATP tour which starts at RG and ends at US open. I think he may be injured, but lets say he is being over cautious to rest up for this run of 3 grandslams that come in 3 and half months.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 10 Apr 2011, 3:49 pm

Socal: "Yes, but I haven't heard any report on what the knee injury is, he just says knee injury."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It says so on his official site. However, I do agree it's probably nothing too serious, and I think it's wise of him to be cautious.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:01 pm

NITB: "I would like to believe that's not the case....."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I also think that the ATP scheduling (mad) has some effect on that. Playing in Belgrade is going to be very inconvenient for him this year... And it already caused him to miss Madrid last season.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:13 am

Yes, Green either way if it is the knee he has had that thing braced for awhile and has been playing great the whole time and moving exceptionally. And I think again he is being over cautious. I think in 2008 he kind of ran out of gas after a great start to the season when he won IW and Australia. I think this plays into the decision making. Look 3 months into the season probably everyone on tour has some sort of injury.

I could be wrong, maybe it is worse than we think, but that is not my initial sense.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes, Green either way if it is the knee he has had that thing braced for awhile and has been playing great the whole time and moving exceptionally. And I think again he is being over cautious. I think in 2008 he kind of ran out of gas after a great start to the season when he won IW and Australia. I think this plays into the decision making. Look 3 months into the season probably everyone on tour has some sort of injury.

I could be wrong, maybe it is worse than we think, but that is not my initial sense.

I'm sure Nole's knee is "fine", just a bit tired, probably tendonitis, which is nothing if he rests a bit. He carries a lot less weight in the upper body than Nadal, so that helps, too.
I also think Nole's gunning for Wimbledon this year, GO NOLEEEEEEEEEEEE Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

Green,
are you TOG from 606?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:34 pm

Yep Smile. I thought you had "recognized" me...

Hug

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:44 pm

Ok!

I must say I'm missing my favourite smiley from 606 - the Wink one.....

he , he I like it here....
I can even write in colour
GO NOLEEEE

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:45 pm

Ouch, Wink IS here.....well, if that's not the sign....how are you coping with all this wins from Nole TOG?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm much calmer about it than I would have expected... It's like everything is coming into place, no need to get overexcited. Whistle

Very Happy

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:51 pm

I must admit I'm in the state of numbness....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

I do, however, miss the suspense of close matches... Wink

I have a question... People have noticed that you have joined another forum but haven't posted there yet. Why is that, if I may ask? Smile

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:00 pm

Green wrote:I do, however, miss the suspense of close matches... Wink

I have a question... People have noticed that you have joined another forum but haven't posted there yet. Why is that, if I may ask? Smile

I don't know....just feel more at home here. I registered "there" long time ago" but prefer to be here, I feel quite free and unoppressed, none of those posters to call you vulgar names or delete your comments just because you politely disagree... Whistle

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

BTW, are you "there" as well, and if so how is it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next