The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bored of Williams?

+7
LordDowlais
HammerofThunor
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Taffineastbourne
Poorfour
mrzimmerman
Gordy
11 posters

Go down

Bored of Williams? Empty Bored of Williams?

Post by Gordy Thu May 24, 2012 5:40 am

Does anyone else feel Shane Williams is really dragging out his retirement in the most drawn out fashion? Very good player, successful career and something of a poster boy for Welsh rugby but it feels like he is retiring almost every week these days! His final season feels like its just been one long drawn out retirement circus!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Bored of Williams? Empty Re: Bored of Williams?

Post by mrzimmerman Thu May 24, 2012 5:52 am

He's been used now like he has done for many years and that is to put bums on seats. Wru to sell tickets for 2 nothing games and Ospreys to get the crowds in for the Dragons game. I hope it doesn't tarnish his good name.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu May 24, 2012 5:55 am

georgestowersbiceps wrote:He's been used now like he has done for many years and that is to put bums on seats. Wru to sell tickets for 2 nothing games and Ospreys to get the crowds in for the Dragons game. I hope it doesn't tarnish his good name.

Excellent point. I cant get over how many articles are written about him and I think you are correct that he is being used by the media and Welsh RGU in this way not unlike David Beckham has been in football.

But how many tear-jerking emotional farewells can they churn out!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 am

He was a very good pundit during the 6N this year (much better than Jiffy, IMHO. But then I like a bit of perspective in my punditry). Can we just get these games over with so he can go and add some insight to the telly?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 am

Poorfour wrote:He was a very good pundit during the 6N this year (much better than Jiffy, IMHO. But then I like a bit of perspective in my punditry). Can we just get these games over with so he can go and add some insight to the telly?

I thought he was a little biased, but then most pundits are in the 6 Nations. I agree with you regarding getting the retirement out of the way. It should be a singular event, not a long drawn out process.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 am

Gordy,two words for you:Jonny Wilkinson.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Gordy,two words for you:Jonny Wilkinson.

...hasnt had a proper send off or retirement game at all

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 am

Especially since he's not retired. Perhaps you're getting confused with getting injured. Wilkinson kept getting injured not retiring. There is a difference

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm

I had to laugh when Jiffy said he was going to have one last turnout for Swansea City against Liverpool the other day. laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Gordy,two words for you:Jonny Wilkinson.
Yep, two words. Not relevant to the discussion of Shane 'One More Game' Williams though.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I think his reputation has been tarnished with this drawn out retirement process, and the forward rolls, handstands etc...

I feel let down by him, great player but it's a shame that he is milking it, lets be honest he'll walk straight into a TV pundit job so he doesn't need all this attention.

Reminds me of a failed wannabe pop star, he’ll be on strictly next! Whistle

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu May 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Gordy wrote:
Poorfour wrote:He was a very good pundit during the 6N this year (much better than Jiffy, IMHO. But then I like a bit of perspective in my punditry). Can we just get these games over with so he can go and add some insight to the telly?

I thought he was a little biased, but then most pundits are in the 6 Nations. I agree with you regarding getting the retirement out of the way. It should be a singular event, not a long drawn out process.

I have a feeling that Shane may well become the Welsh version of Austin Healy. He will most likely feature on a few different shows, rugby and non-rugby related, just because he seems amusing enough, and over all likable.

Thinking about Healy, the best thing I heard him do was on a S4C programme called Jonathan, and he said that he can't understand why welsh people dislike his biad towards England, and how he talks them up. He then said I am English, and I will talk up my side the same as your Welsh and you'll talk up your side. Fair play to Austin he had my respect for that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu May 24, 2012 10:48 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Gordy wrote:

I have a feeling that Shane may well become the Welsh version of Austin Healy. He will most likely feature on a few different shows, rugby and non-rugby related, just because he seems amusing enough, and over all likable.

Thinking about Healy, the best thing I heard him do was on a S4C programme called Jonathan, and he said that he can't understand why welsh people dislike his biad towards England, and how he talks them up. He then said I am English, and I will talk up my side the same as your Welsh and you'll talk up your side. Fair play to Austin he had my respect for that.

I'm not sure Shane has the charisma or persona to be honest. He pretty much starts every sentence with "to be honest" and says a lot of other cliches when he can't of things to say.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Gordy wrote:

He was a model of restraint and neutrality compared to Jiffy, though!
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down