The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penalty shoot outs.

+10
GSC
Ent
mystiroakey
CFCNick
dyrewolfe
Smirnoffpriest
Beer
JamesLincs
erictheblueuk
lorus59
14 posters

Go down

Penalty shoot outs. Empty Penalty shoot outs.

Post by lorus59 Fri 25 May 2012, 3:41 pm

With major knock out games often being decided by the dreaded penalty shoot out is there any alternative? My idea would be instead of taking penalties, the players should try to score into an empty net from the corner quadrant. It would take a lot of skill and most players would miss. So we would only have heroes and no villains.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Penalty shoot outs. Empty Re: Penalty shoot outs.

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 4:37 pm

Run-ins from the halfway line Ice Hockey style with a 5/7 second shot clock.

I'm sure they did it in the States years ago because they hate to see a draw out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 27 May 2012, 4:19 pm

Personally I think think we should embrace it more, make it part of normal league games.

If the match is a draw after the 90mins thean award a point each team and give an extra point to whoever wins the shoot out.

If the players know they will a shoot out every coulple of weeks they'll soon get used to it and the fear of them will soon disapear.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 27 May 2012, 10:34 pm

anything other than penalties gives the advantage to the more technically gifted footballers

penalties must remain imo

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 28 May 2012, 2:31 pm

JamesLincs wrote:anything other than penalties gives the advantage to the more technically gifted footballers

Isn't that the point? The best team should win. Make it so the most technical gifted footballers win.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 28 May 2012, 2:35 pm

Crossbar challenge.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 28 May 2012, 3:42 pm

George Best and Gazza would be great at hitting the bar.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 28 May 2012, 4:30 pm

lorus59 wrote:
JamesLincs wrote:anything other than penalties gives the advantage to the more technically gifted footballers

Isn't that the point? The best team should win. Make it so the most technical gifted footballers win.

no!

imo if you can see out your game plan like chelsea did for 120 minutes, then you deserve to win. and im a spurs fan!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 28 May 2012, 4:48 pm

Then football is dead.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 28 May 2012, 4:52 pm

lorus59 wrote:Then football is dead.

But loads of England fans would argue that they'd love to see their team win and that it is football, even though England are blatantly not one of the technically best sides in the world!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 28 May 2012, 4:53 pm

so youre saying we should scrap the tournement and just put germany and spain straight into the final? or do you just wanna give spain the trophy now?

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 28 May 2012, 5:14 pm

It should make the others try to improve to get to the same standard. Why don't you just scrap the EPL and give City or United the trophy? They win because they are the best and deserve it. I am Irish and if Ireland won Euro 2012 by doing a Chelsea, it would be a very very hollow victory.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 28 May 2012, 5:49 pm

I think something like this was put forward in the US a few years ago, but how about scrapping the goals system and replacing it with points?

5 points - for scoring from inside the opposition half
3 points - for scoring from inside the 18 yard box
2 points - for scoring from freekicks and penalties, regardless of distance
1 point - for scoring from inside the 6 yard box

That ought to drastically reduce the likelihood of draws and would encourage players to become more proficient at shooting from distance.

Silly? Yes. Fewer draws? Probably. More entertaining? Undoubtedly! Cool
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 28 May 2012, 7:12 pm

lorus59 wrote:It should make the others try to improve to get to the same standard. Why don't you just scrap the EPL and give City or United the trophy? They win because they are the best and deserve it. I am Irish and if Ireland won Euro 2012 by doing a Chelsea, it would be a very very hollow victory.

I'm a Chelsea fan and let me tell you there was no hollowness around Fulham Broadway on that great night. Trust me, everyone says things like that but when you win the damn thing you don't give a monkeys how!

I don't care how pretty people think Barcelona and their tippy tappy ways are, 5 yard passes all going sideways, I can't stand it and it bores me to death. Their style has never beaten Chelsea whilst it's been 11 vs 11 so as far as I'm concerned the "prettiest" football can get stuffed. Great defensive displays are just as great to watch as free flowing attacking football like Bayern or Real.

Rant over. Not entirely aimed at you, more at all the nay sayers over the last week.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 28 May 2012, 7:15 pm

i tell you what, id be more proud if england ground out a defensive 1-0 in the final than a dominant 4-0 win. thatll be propper passion!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 8:10 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:Personally I think think we should embrace it more, make it part of normal league games.

If the match is a draw after the 90mins thean award a point each team and give an extra point to whoever wins the shoot out.

If the players know they will a shoot out every coulple of weeks they'll soon get used to it and the fear of them will soon disapear.

I love this idea dude Penalty shoot outs. 732107

If this was the case it would make goalkeepers much more valuable as well. we could clearly define who is the best an all!

however i also love the idea that the lads should take shots from the penalty line to decide a game- or even your extra point idea

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 8:12 pm

"I am Irish and if Ireland won Euro 2012 by doing a Chelsea, it would be a very very hollow victory."

oh dear - firstly you are the biggest lier on here, secondly with that attitude you dont deserve to watch sport

I remeber you - your that lad that said i shouldnt start a thread on an england game because noone cares.. lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 28 May 2012, 9:17 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:
lorus59 wrote:It should make the others try to improve to get to the same standard. Why don't you just scrap the EPL and give City or United the trophy? They win because they are the best and deserve it. I am Irish and if Ireland won Euro 2012 by doing a Chelsea, it would be a very very hollow victory.

I'm a Chelsea fan and let me tell you there was no hollowness around Fulham Broadway on that great night. Trust me, everyone says things like that but when you win the damn thing you don't give a monkeys how!

I don't care how pretty people think Barcelona and their tippy tappy ways are, 5 yard passes all going sideways, I can't stand it and it bores me to death. Their style has never beaten Chelsea whilst it's been 11 vs 11 so as far as I'm concerned the "prettiest" football can get stuffed. Great defensive displays are just as great to watch as free flowing attacking football like Bayern or Real.

Rant over. Not entirely aimed at you, more at all the nay sayers over the last week.

Yes I appreciated Inters great defensive displays in 2010 and Uniteds in 08, Chelsea however put 11 men behind the ball and crossed their fingers giving up more than twice as many chances as the above 2 teams did against Barcelona - it wasn't a defensive masterclass, it was an absolute fluke.

The final was even more of a travesty, 21 shots on target vs 6, 20 corners vs one - honestly this was the most ridiculous win of all time.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 28 May 2012, 9:21 pm

Defending is just as much an art as attacking. They had shots, how many top class saves did Cech have to make?

Yeah they had luck. Every single team thats ever won anything had luck at some stage. Remember Barca knocking out Chelsea a few years back?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 28 May 2012, 9:24 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Defending is just as much an art as attacking. They had shots, how many top class saves did Cech have to make?

Yeah they had luck. Every single team thats ever won anything had luck at some stage. Remember Barca knocking out Chelsea a few years back?

Yes luck in one game, but continually for every knock out round (Benefica the exception).

Lets be honest here, this was a travesty.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 28 May 2012, 9:28 pm

Again I don't remember Cech pulling out successions of top class saves. Robben in the first half, the penalty. Other than that I mostly remember Bayern being frustrated and Robben and Ribery dancing in front of the defense.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 28 May 2012, 9:29 pm

Travesty? You sir, are a fool.

Yeah we had six shots and one corner, all that stat proves is how wasteful Bayern are compared to Chelsea.

When you win a tournament by beating two of the best teams in the World whilst having such an inferior amount of chances proves how good we are at attacking. Imagine what the score would be if we had the same number of shots as Barca and Bayern.

The only difference betweem the 2010 Inter team and the 2012 Chelsea team is that Inter are in Serie A and not in "the best league in the World".

You can say what you like and I'll agree luck is an important factor in all championships, but nobody can deny we deserve this.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 9:33 pm

I really dont want to get into all of this again. What chelsea did was an amazing acheivment. Thats all i got to say. Penalty shoot outs. 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 28 May 2012, 9:34 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:Travesty? You sir, are a fool.

Yeah we had six shots and one corner, all that stat proves is how wasteful Bayern are compared to Chelsea.

When you win a tournament by beating two of the best teams in the World whilst having such an inferior amount of chances proves how good we are at attacking. Imagine what the score would be if we had the same number of shots as Barca and Bayern.

The only difference betweem the 2010 Inter team and the 2012 Chelsea team is that Inter are in Serie A and not in "the best league in the World".

You can say what you like and I'll agree luck is an important factor in all championships, but nobody can deny we deserve this.

Take off the rose tinted spectacles and ask would you be happy to play this way in every game in the belief it would get you results?

Like I said, Inter gave up 1/2 as many chances against Barca - it was a real defensive masterclass.

I expect Chelsea fans are laughing their nads off that they played so badly and managed to win the thing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 1:44 pm

Imagine if both teams parked the bus. How much interest would there be in football then? As for me being a liar saying if Ireland won the Euros by doing a Chelsea I would not be happy, I place the game of football above what team is playing. If Ireland lose playing attacking forward thinking football, I would much prefer that than trying to play anti-football. Seems most here just think win at all costs. It's supposed to be entertainment, not a war.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 1:54 pm

Lorus 99% of irish fans understand there limitations and want to play winning football. You are in a massive minority if you really are saying you wouldnt be happy winning a Euro.

Because face facts the only way you could win is by playing tactically- and when i say tactically i mean playing in a defensive counter attacking way.

That is the great thing about football- underdogs can win. Its a massive plus to the game that we have different styles and teams play differently- I really do not understand your stance at all.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 29 May 2012, 1:58 pm

why would both teams park the bus? idiot!

'parking the bus' is what a team does when its attacking threat and resliance is inferior to the oppositions you fool.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 29 May 2012, 2:00 pm

when youre england and ireland against spain and brazil, it is a war, if you try make it entertainment, you lose.

when england starts producing xavis and iniestas, then itll be entertainment, until then i and the rest of the country would settle war style football

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 29 May 2012, 2:04 pm

im also struggling to figure out how an irishman can complain. no offence but youre ranked way lower than us and many of the teams competing this year, id be absolutely delighted if i was irish! i remember 2002, was it 2002 you were at the world cup? your fans were awesome, bringing colour to the competition! a rare outing for your nation, you should be immensely proud!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:04 pm

thumbsup

The guy is away with the fairys.

If he really wants ireland to become an attractive playing team he should realise the only way that is gonna happen is by winning football matches and getting more kids to take up the game based on that fact.

He obviously wants an x factor envioroment or a syncronised swimming type event rather than a hard fought game of football where winning is importanat and the clashing of styles which is what makes this game so great

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:16 pm

James, is it really idiotic to prefer a team who plays attacking football and tries to actually win the game as opposed to one trying to get lucky? If you take the England team for example. They are all highly paid professional footballers playing at top clubs and they might have to resort to shuffling across the pitch watching another team have possession of the ball most of the time. Does seem a bit weird somehow.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:19 pm

Lorus personally with your lucky comments ,I find it hard to even believe you have ever watched one game of football.

You really need to start opening your mind abit.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:24 pm

JamesLincs wrote:im also struggling to figure out how an irishman can complain. no offence but youre ranked way lower than us and many of the teams competing this year, id be absolutely delighted if i was irish! i remember 2002, was it 2002 you were at the world cup? your fans were awesome, bringing colour to the competition! a rare outing for your nation, you should be immensely proud!

It's not that rare. We were at Euros 88, the World Cups of 90,94 as well as 2002. And of course 2012. I am Irish and I hope they do well, but I really hope the best team (whoever that may be) wins Euro 2012 as they will have deserved it. I guess I put the game of football above my nationality. I seem to be getting loads of abuse for actually putting the game first.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:30 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Lorus personally with your lucky comments ,I find it hard to even believe you have ever watched one game of football.

I have watched almost too much football. I remember who the best teams were in each of the major tournaments, a lot of whom did not go on to win. Example; Holland 1974, Brazil 1982, Italy 1990 World Cups. I also remember the best ones that did win, Brazil 1970, Argentina 78/86, Spain 2010. I always hope the best team wins and that seems to be a crime now.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:34 pm

what seems to be a crime?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:40 pm

Hoping that a team that tries to win a game by playing attractive attacking football with payers who have honed their technique as opposed to other players who get paid as much and maybe more in many cases but who prefer the lifestyle of the of the fast car, faster woman and the big mansion to working on their technique to compete. They get around this by working on ways to stop the other team. It is much easier to destroy than create after all. That seems to be the crime.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:48 pm

what the heck are you on about dude. Your miles of base pal. If you want to turn your strange attitude to ireland into a england player bashing point - fine, but there really are not linked.

If you think players like ashley cole, david beckham or w rooney are any less commited to there game , just because other attributes are worked on over ball control then you must be on a parralell world..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:54 pm

It is not just England players. Stephen Ireland was the prime example of the "good life" player. As for working on other attributes, we can see how successful that has been in recent (or not so recent) tournaments.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Lorus i dont think you are getting the point- just because certain brit/irish players play differently doesnt mean they arnt as dedicated to the game. They work on different skill sets

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 29 May 2012, 3:12 pm

I hate the fact that so many people these days believe that the only entertaining form of football is Barcelona style tika-taka football. I think people should learn to respect every way of playing football, which includes putting your heart and soul into defending and hoping you get lucky.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 29 May 2012, 3:19 pm

I find the 200 passes per shot football boring. I would much rather watch a team giving everything by blocking shots, tackling and pressuring than watch them pass it around the halfway line for 10 minutes.

I enjoyed the Chelsea Barca match after Terry was sent off for the effort the 10 Chelsea players put in - and I'm not a Chelsea fan.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 May 2012, 3:20 pm

lorus59 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Lorus personally with your lucky comments ,I find it hard to even believe you have ever watched one game of football.

I have watched almost too much football. I remember who the best teams were in each of the major tournaments, a lot of whom did not go on to win. Example; Holland 1974, Brazil 1982, Italy 1990 World Cups. I also remember the best ones that did win, Brazil 1970, Argentina 78/86, Spain 2010. I always hope the best team wins and that seems to be a crime now.

Definition of best ? Surely the best team is the one who wins. Its like people who say Spurs play the best football...really ? Does that mean we have to forget that defending is anything to do with football ? Spurs might play the most attractive football....but again is there anything attractive about how they defend ?
Debateable choice, for your "best" teams in 90 and arguably 78.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzman Thu 31 May 2012, 3:38 pm

I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit! Penalties should stay, it provides drama, tension and excitement. Chelsea didn't deserve their Champions League victory because they were outplayed by both Barca and Bayern. But because they came out on top in both games, you have to give them credit, and tbh it's barca and bayerns fault for not finishing and seeing out the game!

Buzzman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down