The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove?

2 posters

Go down

What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove? Empty What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove?

Post by hawkeye Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Roland Garros has the two top crowd magnets in tennis present in the draw. Probably the only two players that can guarantee a sell out wherever they play. In fact it would be possible to sell tickets to their practice sessions. So what do the tournament organisers do? First Federer and now Nadal have been scheduled on a smaller court.

On Monday when Federer played on Lenglen the larger Philippe Chartrier court was half empty. Just before Federer started to play even more people left. On Lenglen people were sitting on stairs to get a view and every seat was taken. The same will happen tomorrow. This is just not good business so why do they do it? In the distant future when both these players have retired it might be a little more difficult to sell a tennis ticket. They should be put on the biggest stage whilst we are lucky enough to have such tennis superstars so that more people get a chance to see them play.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove? Empty Re: What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove?

Post by lydian Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Plus they are starting matches very early too...for a match starting around 11am many people are thinking of lunch, then come back afterwards.

For tomorrow they have Gasquet on Lenglen which I'm surprised about...Rafa too. But when you look at some of the matches on P.Chatrier I'd feel short-changed....Isner vs Matthieu? Only because P-Henri is French....but then why put him infront of Gasquet (and thats an interesting match again Dimitrov). But do the French want to watch Tumbleweed Niemenin vs Murray? Or Wozniacki vs Ms. Who?

Baggy vs Mugro on court 2 would be a better prospect. As we said yesterday you cant legislate for the way French people think at times...

Wimbledon are much smarter at this sort of thing...and unsurprisingly return a much better profit (of all the slams I believe)!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove? Empty Re: What Are The Tournament Organisers Trying To Prove?

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes I concur..

Really can't understand some of the scheduling. Maybe they feel they have a duty to be equitable to the players - but that would be a first in a commercial entity!

ghost

emancipator - BOO has entered the world of banking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down