The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled.

+14
bhb001
milkyboy
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
Nico the gman
BoxingFan88
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
School Project
bellchees
azania
eddyfightfan
ONETWOFOREVER
18 posters

Go down

Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled. Empty Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 31 May 2012, 22:45

Can anyone think of any fights where big name fighters have been shown a real boxing lesson? The sport does offer up fights like these now and again and they live long in the memory. Fights like these make remember what boxing is all about. My choices are...

1) Chavez v Randell - I don't care what anyone thinks Randell made Chavez look like a novice and not the legand he was made out to be.

2) Toney v Barkley

3) Watson v Benn

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled. Empty Re: Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled.

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 31 May 2012, 22:48

lacy calzaghe is a obvious one, although (over here at least) joe was the bigger name. i think state side though it was completely unexpected.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled. Empty Re: Class dismissed! - big names getting completly schooled.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 31 May 2012, 22:50

That was a clinic.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 May 2012, 22:54

Chavez was competing at his worst weight and was on his way down. Right place for Frankie. But he put up a masterful performance nevertheless.

Ali/Liston is one though. Although Ali was loud no-one gave him a hope. Douglas/Tyson?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 31 May 2012, 22:57

tyson/douglas is a great shout.

a few of naz's opponents got a rude awakening, until he went on to receive his own (kind of) from barrera

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 22:58

Tyson/Holyfield 1.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 31 May 2012, 23:18

Rios vs Abril, not in the same league as some of the others name wise and somehow Rios still walked away with the win despite being on the wrong end of a boxing lesson. Also Wright put on a clinic against Trinidad.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 31 May 2012, 23:27

I know we have a lot of negatives for Hopkins, but his beat-down of Pavlik was a masterclass in my opinion. The shine was taken off slightly due to Pavliks problems out of the ring, but he was the favourite going into the fact so it stands.

Another one for me has to be Mosely vs Margarito. Mosely was written off completely... Margarito was too big, too strong. Again, mentally he may not have been completely focused after being caught with plaster in his wraps...

But the game plan that Brother Richardson had for both of the old cats were executed to a tee. Pavliks lack of understanding of lateral movement was completely exposed by the plan Richardson and Hopkins put together.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 31 May 2012, 23:35

Wladimir Vs David Haye.

A lot of people (myself included) were backing Haye to confuse Wlad with speed and then destroy him with power. Klistchko just made him look silly.

Froch vs Abraham

This was a pick 'em fight before the first bell rang. Carl outclassed Arthur and by some margin too.

Zaheer Rahim vs Erik Morales

In what was supposed to be a tune up for Pacquiao 3, Erik was given a boxing lesson.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 31 May 2012, 23:37

Yeah Pavlik v Hopkins was a real exarmple of schooling great shout there.

De La Hoya's destruction of Chavez also springs to mind.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 23:49

azania wrote:Chavez was competing at his worst weight and was on his way down. Right place for Frankie. But he put up a masterful performance nevertheless.

His worst weight? Hardly, Az. Chavez's greatest fame came at Light-Welterweight. Chavez's aura had been dented a little by 1994, but I still think that Randall's win must rank as one of the very best in the last quarter of a century. I wouldn't have been at all surprised had Randall done exactly the same against a 1989 version of Chavez, either; his woes with Taylor and Whitaker showed that he was always going to struggle with slick counter-punches who knew how to move. As Onetwo rightly said, don't let the ridiculous scorecards fool you - it wasn't even close.

Locche-Cervantes I, McGirt-Brown, Sanchez-Gomez and Forrest-Mosley I would all be decent examples, I suppose.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 May 2012, 23:57

Juan Manuel Marquez v Chris John. Marquez had beat Medina, Salido and boxed a draw with Pacquaio. John hadn't beat anyone of note and was a big underdog. Marquez probably under rated John because he went to Indonesia and John beat him pretty comfortably.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 01 Jun 2012, 13:20

Did Marquez get 'schooled' by John? I heard it was a lot closer than the scorecards would have you believe.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:06

Schooled may be a bit far but I gave the fight to John by about 5 rounds which is pretty convincing considering Marquez was suppose to go to Indonesia and get rid of him with ease.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:14

McCallum v Watson very one sided fight, I thought it would be a lot more competitive.
RJJ V Toney pretty comprehensive win for Jones.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:26

Trinidad by Hopkins?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:58

Sibson by Hagler perhaps.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 02 Jun 2012, 13:06

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Schooled may be a bit far but I gave the fight to John by about 5 rounds which is pretty convincing considering Marquez was suppose to go to Indonesia and get rid of him with ease.

its considered controversial kev... i watched it on youtube a while back (pretty dull viewing i'm sure you'd agree) and it was a difficult fight to score. Personally i didnt think jmm had any cause for complaint over the result but there wasnt much in it in my view.

as Toney was mentioned in the original post, how about toney tiberi... up there with the great robberies, when a prime unbeaten toney got a lesson from a journeyman before being gifted a decision. Ok, some hyperbole there, but Toney was very lucky to get the decision. Could have been weight drained, not something you could often say in the same sentence as james toney.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 02 Jun 2012, 14:25

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Sibson by Hagler perhaps.

Everyone would have expected a hard fight with Hagler as the favourite to win, but I doubt anyone was predicting such a one sided victory against a class fighter

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 02 Jun 2012, 14:29

hopkins against trinidad and pavlik, ward schooled kessler as the underdog too

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SparkedOot Mon 04 Jun 2012, 01:24

Hey everyone I'm new and it's great to be here, been absorbing your collective wisdom for a while now and decided to dip my toe.

Anyway back to the point....
Would you consider ODLH to be schooled by Pacman or was Manny a too bigger name by then?

SparkedOot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jun 2012, 01:32

SparkedOot wrote:Hey everyone I'm new and it's great to be here, been absorbing your collective wisdom for a while now and decided to dip my toe.

Anyway back to the point....
Would you consider ODLH to be schooled by Pacman or was Manny a too bigger name by then?

Welcome mate. There are some intellectual cats on this site that's for sure.

I am not a massive hardcore boxing fan as such but I remember Pac going in with Oscar and I would have put my money on Oscar winning that one, size wise he looked a monster compared. This may have been the night Oscar come unstuck or Pac coming of age. A bit of a grey area there but hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 04 Jun 2012, 01:36

Oscar was so badly weight drained I'm not sure it counts.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 Jun 2012, 07:18

as freek says hindsight is a wonderful thing. We all concluded oscar was weight drained and shot after the event, but before it most of us thought pac had, size-wise, bitten off more than he could chew.

Intellectual cats? Is cats a euphemism ? Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 04 Jun 2012, 07:32

milkyboy wrote:as freek says hindsight is a wonderful thing. We all concluded oscar was weight drained and shot after the event, but before it most of us thought pac had, size-wise, bitten off more than he could chew.

We all wrote Pacman off I think - and soundly lambasted Oscar for taking on such a tiny opponent. So in that context it was a wonderful win. In this case though Hindsight is a necessity - as we were all expecting the moderately shopworn version of Oscar to deal with a smaller man. Instead what we got was a mummified oscar with the strength of ten leaves of lettuce. In the context of names - the massive name was battered senseless by a biggish name at the time and it propelled the latter into superstardom.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 04 Jun 2012, 07:33

milkyboy wrote:as freek says hindsight is a wonderful thing. We all concluded oscar was weight drained and shot after the event, but before it most of us thought pac had, size-wise, bitten off more than he could chew.

I picked Pacquiao to win on points. Oscar didn't look that in his previous fight against Steve Forbes. The only surprise was how bad he looked against Pac.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down