The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre

4 posters

Go down

Who would you play in the centre for the first test against the All Blacks?

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_lcap8%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_lcap58%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 7 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_lcap8%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_lcap25%Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Empty Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 am

Hi all,

Just going to do a few of these for the positions that seem to be most in doubt for the first test.
Leave your votes and reasons for voting and we'll see what we come up with and eventually what DK comes up with.
Try and keep it clean and your thoughts rational in terms of team tactics and backing up your points with examples from games.

Enjoy Smile

O'Driscoll being captain and in very good form is a nailed on starter, I think that much is clear. However there are question marks of who should partner him and where he should play. The Irish centres must get over the advantage line like they have failed to do in the last year to give the Irish forwards a target and be able to hold their own in defence. What I would give for Wallace's inclusion.

Darcy?
Darcy has played quite well for Leinster this season but has been very, very poor at international level for a while where his physicality isn't a match for some of his opponents like it would be at club level. He has got a good work rate but is not as effective with ball in hand as others and his defence has caused the occasional raised eye brow.

Earls?
Did well in the 6N at 13 and his distribution has improved. Could end up and probably will end up on the wing due to Bowe and Fitz being out. His awareness for a centre is still quite poor and can disappear in games or end up hugging the touchline at times. He has publicly stated he wants to play 13 but do his strengths and weakness's make this a good position for him and will Ireland need him on the flank?

Cave?
Cave's inclusion like Earls' would push BOD to 12, which is not necessarily a bad thing but not necessary either. He is known for his obsession with defence and has been excellent in this department all year apart from the snippet we saw of the BaaBaa's game where he was shown up a few times. Showed in the Hcup final how he can attack too.

McFadden?
The jury still very much out as he hasn't played 12 enough or nearly enough for many of our likings. He is powerful in the tackle, he has good hands and has a lot of speed. He has a good kicking game and when he has played 12 has played well. his defence at 13 has proved problematic but seems more assured inside 13 and has proven experience with Sexton and BOD.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Empty Re: Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre

Post by Gretgael1 Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:24 am

I'd like to see BOD at 12 with either Earls or Cave. BOD never stops talking on the field, Jamie Roberts said on the lions tour that he never knew anyone to talk as much on the field, so I'd like to see him pass on some of that knowledge and organisational skills to either players mentioned above. Some people have said that we might be lacking a little pace if Cave and BOD play together but Cave is no slower than D'arcy so I think we'll be fine.

I can't really see McFadden challenging for centre seeing as he is behind D'arcy at provincial level. If he gets a start it will be on the wing.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if we don't see BOD and D'arcy start all three tests with Earls on the wing.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre Empty Re: Your pick for the first test against NZ: Centre

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14 am

I have to say I think McFadden could be the bee's knees if he was given a run of games at 12 and not thrown from position to position. I agree it's a huge hail mary due to the fact he is behind Darcy. I imagine it will be Darcy and BOD I'd prefer any of the other 3 and BOD.

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I went for McFadden as I see inside centre as his best position. I was very impressed with him after the 6 Nations and really should have got the Leinster jersey from D'Arcy. Saying all that though, D'Arcy is obviously going to be starting seeing as they've just given him a central contract and all.

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm

D'arcy and BOD will start I am almost certain, although Kidney could throw a curve ball and start with BOD and Earls.

I'd be keen to see how BOD and Cave would go together. Both are clever enough and physical enough to play either centre position imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:30 pm

From the little we saw of the baabaas game I'd be hugely surprised if cave stafted Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down