The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winky Wright and Shane Mosley

+2
KO-KING
BoxingFan88
6 posters

Go down

Winky Wright and Shane Mosley Empty Winky Wright and Shane Mosley

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:14 am

Both Winky Wright and Shane Mosley have now reportedly retired from boxing.

Definitely the time to call it a day and probably a bit too late. The key now is that they stay retired, neither of them have anything to prove and have hopefully earned enough money to set them for life.

Thanks for the memories!

Now if only James Toney and Roy Jones could follow their lead, as well as Evander Holyfield....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Winky Wright and Shane Mosley Empty Re: Winky Wright and Shane Mosley

Post by KO-KING Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Shane Mosley Retiring - Ellie Sechback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcRlG-JPos&feature=g-all-u

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173147-exclusive-mosley-retires

Five-time, three-division titleholder Sugar Shane Mosley will follow his own advice. The 40-year-old resident of Pomona, Calif., has announced his retirment from boxing with a mark of 46-8-1 that includes 39 knockouts.

Mosley will now pursue the promotional aspects, beginning with the amateur career of his 21-year-old son, Shane Mosley Jr., according to the fighter's longtime friend, Hassan Abdulrahim.

"Shane Mosley has officially retired, and he's going to go into the promotional side of the sport. Shane is going to be working with his son, who has a promising amateur career," said Abdulrahim, who serves as Mosley's camp coordinator.

"I think that his son is going to fight as an amateur for a few more years and build up his record a little bit and maybe even try to go to the 2016 Olympics, and then look to turn pro after that."

Although he is 0-3-1 in his past four bouts, Mosley's career was marked by a reputation for facing the best in the sport and for being in exciting fights.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:38 am

Shane is overated but a great guy. Much like De La Hoya.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:56 am

His son will be 25 when he turns pro if he stays on til the next Olympics. Not a chance. He'll turn pro under GBP later this year. I've read that he is actually very good with huge potential.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:02 pm

Not sure either Mosley or De La Hoya were over rated, they excelled in a very competitive era for the 147-154lb divisions, stacked full of quality where it's to be expected they would lose a few on the way.

Mosley, Trinidad, De La Hoya, Vargas, Mayorga, Quartey, Wright, Carr, Forrest, Campas, Castillejo amongst some other very good fighters puts the current divisions to shame a fair bit, take out Pacquiao, Mayweather and Cotto and you're left with not a lot.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

At a time when boxing is reeling from one bad news story to the next (Tapia, Williams, Drugs and let's not forget our own dearly departed Windy), the news that Mosley has finally hung them up is something that fills me with joy. A terrific fighter who is a shoe-in for the HOF (don't really care what anyone else thinks about him) but who was in danger of becoming a parody of himself (RJJ take note son). Whether or not he needed the money I don't know but there were times in the ring when I wished the crowd would have a whip round and say "Shane, let's go home man, we don't need to be watching this."

Hope he stays retired and his son has a modicum of sucess which ensures Shane never puts those glove on again.

Also wish Winky the very best, his schooling of Trinidad is high on my list of fights to show people just how it's done.

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 04 Jun 2012, 7:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:At a time when boxing is reeling from one bad news story to the next (Tapia, Williams, Drugs and let's not forget our own dearly departed Windy), the news that Mosley has finally hung them up is something that fills me with joy. A terrific fighter who is a shoe-in for the HOF (don't really care what anyone else thinks about him) but who was in danger of becoming a parody of himself (RJJ take note son). Whether or not he needed the money I don't know but there were times in the ring when I wished the crowd would have a whip round and say "Shane, let's go home man, we don't need to be watching this."

Hope he stays retired and his son has a modicum of sucess which ensures Shane never puts those glove on again.

Also wish Winky the very best, his schooling of Trinidad is high on my list of fights to show people just how it's done.

when was this

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

KO-KING wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:At a time when boxing is reeling from one bad news story to the next (Tapia, Williams, Drugs and let's not forget our own dearly departed Windy), the news that Mosley has finally hung them up is something that fills me with joy. A terrific fighter who is a shoe-in for the HOF (don't really care what anyone else thinks about him) but who was in danger of becoming a parody of himself (RJJ take note son). Whether or not he needed the money I don't know but there were times in the ring when I wished the crowd would have a whip round and say "Shane, let's go home man, we don't need to be watching this."

when was this

Windy passed the week before last. There is a thread at the top of the page with condolences, if you wish to add to them mate.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down