The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB

+9
Josiah Maiestas
TopHat24/7
CFCNick
Liam
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hampo17
jeffwinger
Crimey
Steffan
13 posters

Go down

Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB Empty Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18320907

Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy says he has been included in the Team GB squad for the Olympics.
Coach Stuart Pearce is allowed to name three players over the age of 23 in his 18-man squad - and Wales international Bellamy, 32, has been widely quoted claiming he has been included.
"I am in the Olympic squad but I was supposed to keep it quiet," he said.
"It's a different challenge. I had a difficult season with Liverpool but the Olympics is a one-off."
Pearce is expected to name his squad for the games later in June.
Former England captain David Beckham, 37, has made no secret of his desire to be included and Manchester United will allow former Wales skipper Ryan Giggs, 38, to feature.
England international Joe Cole, Scotland striker Steven Fletcher and Northern Ireland midfielder Chris Brunt have also been touted as potential over-age players.
Team GB's first fixture is against Senegal at Old Trafford on 26 July.

------------------------

Not sure how Chris Coleman will deal with this. Bellamy is obviously a valuable player for Wales but at the age he is at this would be a good example to set by never picking him for Wales again so the younger players learn from this. Its pretty disgraceful that the FAW have given him the hounour of being captain for his country many times and he repays them back by doing this. Thats footballers for you though I guess

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB Empty Re: Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

I don't understand why this is turning his back on Wales? The FAW may have argued it won't be good for them, but I'm sure FIFA have assured them that their players joining Team GB will have no effect. It'll be the only chance Bellamy ever has to play in any kind of international tournament, and it's not like it's a direct choice.

If Gareth Bale joins the Olympic team will you say he shouldn't play for Wales again?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB Empty Re: Bellamy turns his back on Wales to play for Team GB

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

Crimey wrote:If Gareth Bale joins the Olympic team will you say he shouldn't play for Wales again?
I wouldnt go as far to say that. He is our best player by far. No player should be bigger than the team though. If the FAW did make that decison about not picking him I would be gutted but would support it. Hopefully Bale will stay as far away from this monstrosity as possible

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

How on earth is it a monstrosity?

It's an opportunity for the players of all the nations to actually play on a bigger stage than the qualifiers.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Well England are in the Euros anyway so why do they need another tournament to play in with a few players from other countries

Id rather we all just stuck to our own countries and tried to progress that way rather than ganging up just for the sake of it

Even if Team GB won it, its not going to change anything

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Yeah, but you can't enter as separate countries to the Olympics. The team is GB. It's a one off tournament and won't affect the Wales national football team, other than giving their players an opportunity to play on a bigger international stage.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 04 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

The fuss from the FAW and SFA is ridiculous in my eyes. There is absolutely no danger of a full time GB football team, it is a one off as we are hosting the tournament and this is the only way any of the nations are able to compete. It has nothing to do with the England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland teams. It is separate.

I also think players like Bale and Bellamy hold all the cards in this situation. Would the FAW really ban their best players if they played in the Olympics? If so, more fool them.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

jeffwinger wrote:Would the FAW really ban their best players if they played in the Olympics?
No they wouldnt. The point is though they were asked not to play for Team GB so if they do they are defying them. Yes the FAW and the SFA have made a lot of fuss but this is becasue they dont trust FIFA and rightfully so

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 04 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

It is true that no one should trust FIFA. In this instance though I wouldn't say there is anything to be concerned about.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 2:48 pm

Haven't Bale and Ramsey already said they'd play? I'm sure they modelled the GB kit as well, Wales don't have an abundance of talent so there is no chance they'll ban anyone.

It's a one of thing and a chance for players to compete at the Olympic games, support the cause instead of moaning about it.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

Crimey wrote:Yeah, but you can't enter as separate countries to the Olympics. The team is GB. It's a one off tournament and won't affect the Wales national football team, other than giving their players an opportunity to play on a bigger international stage.

And actually the chance to win something. Wales are turd.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

I got no problem with any Welsh players playing for GB as a Wlehs football fan. Its more than likely we won't qualify for the world cup with such a tough group, we will have to massively rely on Bale.

Bellamy is actually one of the few Welsh players who since the players under Mark Hughes' reign retired has continually showed up for duty whether it be a friendly or a competitive international. He turned up last week to play Mexico after a series of weeks on the sideline due to injury, a trip he really didn't have to make, yet he was there playing his guts out.

I got nothing but admiration for Bellars and I wish him and all the other Welsh players representing team GB. It will probably be his last competitive campaign with Wales and he will be doing everything he can to make himself available for selection and do his damnedest to get Wales as high up the group as possible, mostly probably for the late Gary Speed.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:And actually the chance to win something. Wales are turd
Yeah well we cant all be mighty world beaters like England hey. Think you will win it this year? Spirit of 1966 and all that...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

ridiclous to say he is turning his back on wales..

i fully agree with crimey and the points he has made.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

If there was a separate tournament Wales were in at the same time he'd be turning his back on them but come on man! The whole point of your OP is crazy.

If anyone has to be scared by the prospect of an all GB team it's us English. What makes Scotland and Wales think we want to be represented by those losers?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:If anyone has to be scared by the prospect of an all GB team it's us English. What makes Scotland and Wales think we want to be represented by those losers?
As I said...we cant all be mighty world beaters like you lot OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:

If anyone has to be scared by the prospect of an all GB team it's us English. What makes Scotland and Wales think we want to be represented by those losers?

Its this type of attitude that gives England fans a bad name. Have some modesty for crying out loud, if Charles hadn't go injured against Brazil we'd have one star to our name Whistle

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

No its the violent thuggish behavoiur abroad that gives them the bad name. I dont go out of my way to cheer on Englands opponents I try and stay neutral but England never say 'Right we have qualified, we are going to enjoy it, give it our best shot and if we play well who knows what can happen'. Instead we have weeks and weeks of 'We are gonna win it, its gonna be like 1966 and this is the year' then when then go out there is always a scapegoat and we all know when England exit this Euros the 'Hodgson is a disgrace. Arry' should have got the job bla bla' brigade will be off on one

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

I think if you actually took the time to look at the Euro 2012 section, almost all the English fans are saying we're not going to win it, many are claiming that England won't even get out of the group stages...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

Steffan wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:And actually the chance to win something. Wales are turd
Yeah well we cant all be mighty world beaters like England hey. Think you will win it this year? Spirit of 1966 and all that...

Got a better chance then Wales

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:10 pm

Pathetic. The principalities can be so stupid some times.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:36 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Well being better than a country of 3 million people who all prefere rugby anyway and doesnt even have a decent football league is the epitome of being world beaters

Well done on being better than Wales OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Pathetic. The principalities can be so stupid some times.
I dont know what your problem is. Youve got Bellamy for the Olympics and possibly Ramsey and Bale

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

Steffan wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Well being better than a country of 3 million people who all prefere rugby anyway and doesnt even have a decent football league is the epitome of being world beaters

Well done on being better than Wales OK

Well you can't be too surprised that they want to play for Team GB then

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

Steffan wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Pathetic. The principalities can be so stupid some times.
I dont know what your problem is. Youve got Bellamy for the Olympics and possibly Ramsey and Bale

That's my point, I don't have one and don't the issue in Bellamy (or any Wales/Scotland player) turning out for Team GB. The Welsh/Scottish attitude that such players are 'traitors' is pathetic. Plus it's bordering on insulting as, as alluded to earlier in the thread, do the Welsh/Scottish think they're the only ones that wouldn't want Team GB to replace the individual sides?? I'm not saying it as an insult but I like having a seperate English side with its own history and heritage and I like having seperate Welsh and Scottish sides as it adds to the fun of hacing rival clashes more akin to club football.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

Wales? Those big blue carnivores could barely fit on a football pitch.

Joe Calzaghe wishes he wasnt Welsh. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:12 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Wales? Those big blue carnivores could barely fit on a football pitch.

Joe Calzaghe wishes he wasnt Welsh. Wink

He's not he was born in London

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

Shame on Bellamy if the FAW say they don't want you involved then stand by your FA. Like Steffan said they gave him the honour of captaining his country a bit of loyalty would be nice.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Shame on Bellamy if the FAW say they don't want you involved then stand by your FA. Like Steffan said they gave him the honour of captaining his country a bit of loyalty would be nice.
Thats footballers for you aint it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Steffan wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Shame on Bellamy if the FAW say they don't want you involved then stand by your FA. Like Steffan said they gave him the honour of captaining his country a bit of loyalty would be nice.
Thats footballers for you aint it

Seems like you have conveniently avoided my rebuttal Whistle

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

Yeh, sod free will and freedom of independent thought..... Doh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

Good on Craig Bellamy. It's an honour fitting for the career he has had.

After all he's done for the Welsh National Team? Been a true captain, always turned up whenever he's been fit, even to the furthest extremities of Europe, unlike players such as Ryan Giggs, always left 100% out on the pitch and played his heart out in teams where he sees very little in the way of service, in front of a 3/4 empty stadium, and never once complained, or played the big "I am" like others... and you want to criticise him for this one bit of glory?

The shame is on you. Show a bit of gratitude to the man

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Seems like you have conveniently avoided my rebuttal Whistle
I try to conveniently avoid you full stop

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

Steffan wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Seems like you have conveniently avoided my rebuttal Whistle
I try to conveniently avoid you full stop

So thats why when you come 'left 606v2' the first or second or whatever time, you came back to PM me. Little obsession perhaps? Laugh

Nah in all seriousness, you can't blame them for playing for Team GB for the points you pointed out above can you?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

As a Welsh fan I'll say it again. Bellamy has been a terrific servant for Wales and the fact he's still willing to play, despite the chance to prolong his career at Liverpool, still injury prone and the untimely death of his good friend and the man who was taken Wales back to the glory days in Gary Speed, yet he's still turning up for friendlies in New York against Mexico when quite frankly he could have said 'Thank you very much, I'm done'.

Let him play for Team GB. Good luck to Bale, Ramsey and Bale. They will all be turning up for the world cup campaign anyway and they have every right to go and enjoy themselves, playing in the olympics only comes around once so why not take the opportunity.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

If fifa were to turn around and demand we play as one team off the back off this then whats the problem with us sticking up two fingers to fifa? Fifa is killing football and has robbed many a country over the world cup bids. Maybe it's time to do what other sports have and make a break away. Bearing in mind the precedent has been set no major footballing nation will win the hosting of the world cup for a number of years. It's at least worth looking at getting away from all the current corruption.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

I hope team GB crash and burn!

Football should not be in the Olympics and this is a lottery tournament where players like Ryan "I wish I was English and I slept with my brother's wife" Giggs and yid Gareth Bale know that they stand no hope of international honurs so hoping they buy a lottery ticket and win something big.

Go Senegal my boys! You can do it! OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

football has been in the Olympics longer than there have been world cups. ok it should possibly be more on non professional basis but the same goes for many sports. I say the more sports the better. For every sport I would defend someone would critisize and likewise the other way round.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down