The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team to play the Barbarians

+16
XR
Effervescing Elephant
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
wales606
ML
manofgwent
red_stag
HammerofThunor
doctornickolas
glamorganalun
mpc28
funnyExiledScot
LordDowlais
Shifty
offload
20 posters

Go down

Wales team to play the Barbarians Empty Welsh Team

Post by offload Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Wales Team: 15) Morgan Stoddart, 14) George North, 13) Jonathan Davies, 12) Gavin Henson, 11) Aled Brew, 10) Stephen Jones, 9) Mike Phillips, 8) Toby Faletau, 7) Sam Warburton, 6) Dan Lydiate, 5) Luke Charteris, 4) Ryan Jones, 3) Paul James, 2) Huw Bennett, 1) Ryan Bevington Replacements: Lloyd BURNS (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)Scott ANDREWS (CARDIFF BLUES)Alun Wyn JONES (OSPREYS)Josh TURNBULL (SCARLETS) Tavis KNOYLE (SCARLETS)Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS)Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS)

With Bennett throwing will we get any ball?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Wales team to play the Barbarians Empty Wales team to play the Barbarians

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Gatland Interview:
http://www.wru.co.uk/matchdaytv/Index/index/id/8580

BBC Report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/13608478.stm

Wales:

15) Morgan Stoddard (Scarlets);
14) George North (Scarlets),
13) Jonathan Davies (Scarlets),
12) Gavin Henson (Unattached),
11) Aled Brew (Newport Gwent Dragons);
10) Stephen Jones (Scarlets),
9) Michael Phillips (Ospreys);
8) Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)
7) Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt),
6) Danny Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons),
5) Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons),
4) Ryan Jones (Ospreys),
3) Paul James (Ospreys),
2) Huw Bennett (Ospreys),
1) Ryan Bevington (Ospreys),

Replacements:
16) Lloyd Burns (Newport Gwent Dragons),
17) Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues),
18) Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys),
19) Josh Turnbull (Scarlets),
20) Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets),
21) Rhys Priestland (Scarlets),
22) Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Last edited by AlynDavies on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales team to play the Barbarians Empty Re: Wales team to play the Barbarians

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Seriously, what does Bennett have on Gatland? If he wants to start an experienced hooker, then pick frigging Hibbard. Burns is the most in form hooker in the squad though.

Very good backrow and I hope to God that Gatland plays to Aled Brew's strengths for once.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm

This is obviously a "stick your hand in the air and prove yourself team" if I ever saw it. A lot of players in that side should be out to prove a point and set down a marker for selection into the world cup squad. I like the look of our VERY young back row mind, very energetic and will cover the whole pitch and be at every breakdown.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Ryan Jones at lock doesn't look right to me, but I guess if you're going to experiment like that, then this is the fixture in which to make the mistake.

The back line actually looks nicely balanced, and the back row is formidable (good thing too given how well the Baa Baas back row functioned last week).

I think the Baa Baas will have enough to edge this, but in terms of WC preparation, some smart picks here (including Henson).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:50 pm

MIke Phillips....I guess he needs the game time but I'd rather have seen someone else start.

One thing I do love about this team is the backrow, SO looking forward to seeing how they work together.

Agree with others re: Bennett, it really must be last chance saloon for him now.

P.S. I have merged a couple of threads for this, makes sense to have all posts on the Welsh team in one place, hope that was okay thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Shane Williams is injured, so Brew gets a chance he clearly deserves.

Henson is back, I can't wait to see him play alongside Davies, though I would be just as happy to see Henson and Roberts.

Jones is in for his 100th cap, well done to him.

Phillips is in, I hope he can remember how to play rugby. Not sure why he got selected ahead of Knoyle.

Toby Faletau will deservedly get his first cap!

Charteris and Jones will make a bulky second row. Luckily he will be with a familiar front row ahead of him.

Not sure why Bennett is getting another cap, Hibbard is the Ospreys first choice Hooker.

I'm reasonably pleased with the team, though I don't think Bennett deserves to be there to be honest.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ryan Jones at lock doesn't look right to me, but I guess if you're going to experiment like that, then this is the fixture in which to make the mistake.

He's played there all season for the Ospreys.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Pretty much the team i expected him to pick, i think its a shootout between Bennett and Burns for the 3rd hookers spot so i fully expect Burns to get 40 mins.

The only major concern i have with this team apart from Bennetts throwing is Scott Andrews on the bench, from the games ive seen of him this season his scrummaging hasnt looked upto it but that said Gatland has done well to bring on our probs so he must see something there.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm

I like the look of our VERY young back row mind, very energetic and will cover the whole pitch and be at every breakdown.

Can you think of a top/good team with a young back row?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Nothing to add really other than to agree with all the comments about Bennett. I just don't see it. His throwing in is dreadful. He could be the best scrummaging, mauling, rucking hooker in the business but if he can't throw straight then he's a liability.

There was an ospreys game a few weeks ago where the O's were down to 14 with Adam Jones doing the throwing in for 10 mins and he did a much better job than Bennett had.

I will be watching closely how the backrow goes as I think this could be our backrow for 10 years.

Also 2 big young wingers so we'll see what tactics we play.

Finally, Gav is back. I hope he plays well because if his head is right he is our best 12. And I think Jon Davies should be a 13 not a 12. He has great pace, quick feet and a fantastic arcing run which can cause some real damage at 13, more so than 12.

I am not a Roberts fan and hope these 2 can gel (in the playing sense not hairstyles).

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm

dr nickolas - I'm not so sure about Jon Davies at 13. He plays 12 at the Scarlets and is incredibly effective there, I guess he has the benefits of being able to play in both positions though.

I'm quite worried about him and Henson playing in the centre together. Neither have had much game time recently (Hensons reasons are obvious and Jon Davies has been injured). They might take a while to play themselves into the game but fingers crossed they hit the ground running as it were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 pm

doctornickolas wrote:Nothing to add really other than to agree with all the comments about Bennett. I just don't see it. His throwing in is dreadful. He could be the best scrummaging, mauling, rucking hooker in the business but if he can't throw straight then he's a liability.

There was an ospreys game a few weeks ago where the O's were down to 14 with Adam Jones doing the throwing in for 10 mins and he did a much better job than Bennett had.

I will be watching closely how the backrow goes as I think this could be our backrow for 10 years.

Also 2 big young wingers so we'll see what tactics we play.

Finally, Gav is back. I hope he plays well because if his head is right he is our best 12. And I think Jon Davies should be a 13 not a 12. He has great pace, quick feet and a fantastic arcing run which can cause some real damage at 13, more so than 12.

I am not a Roberts fan and hope these 2 can gel (in the playing sense not hairstyles).

Yes I noticed how good Adam Jones's throwin was also... maybe one day when he loses his blistering pace we can convert him to hooker? Wink

I like the wingers also, I wonder if we put Leigh Halfpenny in there also at Full Back how we'd do.

I'm not sure about Lydiate at Blindside, hes not a ball carrying blindside to be honest, I'd like to see:

8 Ben Morgan
7 Sam Warburton
6 Toby Faletau

I think that could be awesome.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Like: back 3 (if Stoddard tackles), back row, second row.

Don't like: Mid field (not enough game time), Phillips, Bennett.

I think Henson will have a nightmare dealing with the Baa Baas.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm

You'll have to wait until the 6 Nations for that then Alyn, Ben Morgan doesn't qualify for Wales until January 2012 I don't think.

Personally I really, really rate Lydiate. You say he's not really ball carrying, but he carries the ball almost more then any other Welsh forward! After the way he played in the 6N's he's one of the first names I'd have down on my team sheet Smile

offload - agree with all of your comments there thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:You'll have to wait until the 6 Nations for that then Alyn, Ben Morgan doesn't qualify for Wales until January 2012 I don't think.

Personally I really, really rate Lydiate. You say he's not really ball carrying, but he carries the ball almost more then any other Welsh forward! After the way he played in the 6N's he's one of the first names I'd have down on my team sheet Smile

offload - agree with all of your comments there thumbsup

I know I do rate Lydiate also, I'm just not sure it's correct to rely solely on a young Toby Faletau to be only back row ball carrying option in games though. Generally you need 2 back row options and one or both locks getting stuck in also.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:30 pm

I think it's our locks that are biggest problem in carrying ball. In the 6Nations anyway, Lydiate really was our only forward to do this. Hopefully with Jones moving up to lock for Wales we'll have another ball carrying option there. I just like the fact that with t his back row we should hopefully, finally, secure some nice quick ball.

But then of course I see who is at 9, and the option of quick ball just goes out the window....

Also meant to add earlier how happy I am for Scott Williams to get a spot on the bench, it's a huge achievement for him this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Bradley Davies has been a beast in the loose for Wales over the last few seasons, he's really tried hard with his charging runs.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

I seem to remember Davies having a quiet 6 nations this year. Maybe just in comparison to his previous one but still a bit quiet

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I seem to remember Davies having a quiet 6 nations this year. Maybe just in comparison to his previous one but still a bit quiet

Yes I guess it was bound to happen teams are more aware of what a player can do in his second season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Backrow, centres and back 3 are good selections.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 pm

OK, I understand Loyalty and giving players a few chances to shine. But Bennett?

Honestly, I really don't see how he adds to our play in any way, shape or form!

Good to see Bevington given a chance, good, solid hardworking player.

Jury is stilll out on RJ at lock..... and I'm not sure we should rely on his versatility. Jack of all trades and all that!

Back row looks pretty mobile, maybe lacking some dog? Maybe that why Phillips is in there behind them! Wink

Will be interesting to see how the breadman takes on the captaincy.

Phillips and Jones I don't think have never really clicked, 2 slow links imo. One we can get away with, but not both together. That's no disrespect to either player.

Midfield will be difficult, 2 talented yet rusty players... can see how it could work tho', davies can do the crash ball effectively, yet can be elusive as well, with Henson feeding this could well be a darn good combo.

The wings, well lots of inexperience really. Sorry to say but this could severely dent Brews aspirations if he doesn't grasp this chance. Given the 9,10 issue and the rusty 12,13, he might hardly see the ball, which would be unfair on him.

Stoddart.... hmmn blows hot and cold, can be great one minute and absolute pants the next. Worked hard to get another chance, but like Brew, aspirations blown if he doesn't perform.

Overall, I'm not sure we can learn a lot about this team playing the baa baas. Its untested combinations versus untested combinations. Personally I'd like to see how they'd fare against more established sides, so maybe another run out against argentina would be more productive?

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Firstly danny lydiate. Although gwyn jones said he wasn't a big ball carrier, he carried the most yards in 2 of the 5 six nations games. I think Toby faletau will put down a big marker on Saturday in terms of carrying the ball. His battle with parisse will be fantastic. I can't remember the last time I saw a Wales no8 make great yards. Danny lydiate is an absolute shoe-in.
Huw Bennett is a joke.
I also can't seer the point in giving Stephen jones his 100th cap. I know he deserves it, but it will surely come later in the summer or at the WC. So why not take a look at priestland. Gatland had him in his 6 nations squad and only gave him a few minutes against Scotland. I do worry that if Stephen jones gets injured during the WC, we might have to rely on priestland, so I think this game would be ideal to expose him to test match rugby. During the 6 nations gatland had no choice other than to play hook(doesn't play 10 for region. Only when biggar's having a mare) because he hasn't brought anyone through. Look how Ireland gave persisted with sexton, even though he has gas a fair share of shockers. What has gatland done? Barely given a cap to priestland, biggar and not one to Tovey. An international cap shouldn't be given on sentiment! 🤦 🤦

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm

I worry that so much experimentation is going on this late in the day, but I am glad to see some of the combinations being tried - particularly the back row (which doesnt look short on ball carrying to me in any way - Lydiate will do his share and the skipper carries more than most 7s do), and the 12/13 combination (if only because Wales have been so lacklustre there in recent seasons).

I am worried about the lineout - Bennet's throwing and comparative novices at front and middle of the lineout could be a disaster. I hope I am wrong!

Phillips needs a BIG game. His troubles at the Os (that seem to have had such a negative effect) have NOT been resolved and it is a shame that he has to play himself back into form in a Red shirt. Unfortunately I dont think we have any option but give him the opportunity because none of the other pretenders to the 9 shirt are quite ready yet IMO.

The back three are in a nightmare position. All need game time to impress, but they are dependent on how the rest of the team performs. If Brew and North are continually turned by clever kicking from the BaBaas, they could be in for a torrid afternoon.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Why wasnt R.Rees called up? - Phillips at least now knows he wont be going back to the O's, perhaps he can focus on his game and play better in a Wales shirt, still if he cant, he MUST be dropped!

Hibbard need and deserves more Wales gametime - so WHY! start Bennett who is weaker in every facet of the game (bennett isnt even a powerful scrummager anymore - Rees and Hibbard are better)

Stoddart will have to take his chance if he wants to displace Byrne at FB (someone has to!) but if he fails, he should still make the squad at 4th Wing. Brew will need to impress to steal Stoddarts position.

The front row has been picked to match the BaaBaas. Gatland obviously remebers how well Bevington coped with Hayman in the O's v Toulon game. Iestyn's excellent technique should be matched by James's experience (although he may struggle playing at TH with a lightweight second row)

Preitlands form slipped badly at the end of the season and it could cost him a place in the WC squad, especially if Henson goes and Hook is seen as a 10.

5. Jones
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau

I would not be suprised to see that lineup at the WC, with Bradley at 4 the second row would still be fairly bulky (not that Gethin/James Rees Adam will need it)

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:25 pm

I wouldn't call Luke Charteris lightweight. The guy's heavier than most 2nd rows.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 am

Risca - I doubt Charteris would usurp Davies and AWJones?

Even so, Charteris is heavy because of his height, he is not as good at providing power in the scrums compared to Davies. The combination in the 2nd row with R.Jones there would always be slightly lightweight as Jones is a backrow player - the Ospreys can get away with it because of their front row, Wales probably can too.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 am

glamorganalun wrote:
I like the look of our VERY young back row mind, very energetic and will cover the whole pitch and be at every breakdown.

Can you think of a top/good team with a young back row?

No, but our old back row is rubbish. I think Turnbull, Tipuric and in time Morgan will keep the pressure on these three. JT and Nugget have had it. Ryan Jones will be the only old guard to get a look in.

This is a brave new world and I like it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:29 am

Glad a du. You're absolutely spot on. This back row is already better than the old one and just think what they're going to be like come the 2015 WC.
2nd row is an issue. Bradleys nit been performing and alum wyn is still a way off the commanding lock we all thought he'd be. Not sure about Ryan in the 2nd row. When the ospreys played the dragons their line-out was shocking and you had bennett throwing to Ryan and AWJ. The dragons line-out is one of our strongest features. We had burns throwing to a prem lock and a prem back row forward and the dragons dominated the line out. That's got to be a worry!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 am

Charteris is 6'9" and 20 stone 4 lbs
Ryan Jones is 6'5" and 17stone 13 lbs

Thats a pretty hefty boiler room to be honest, lol.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

All the comments so far have been about personnel, which is fair enough; but it would just be good to see a Welsh team playing with some ambition. My fear is that, even if we do look to play some rugby on Saturday, it'll be because it's a Baa-baas game and we'll revert to our boring, limited and generally unsuccessful rugby for the remainder of the warm-up games and the World Cup itself.

If we persist with the tactics of the last couple of seasons, personnel won't make much of a difference.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Anyone know what channel it's on?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 pm

BBC 2 I think.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

I wish good luck to Gavin & Jonathan...they'll need it.

Barbarians Line Up for Saturday
15. I Nacewa (Leinster and Fiji)
14. Paul Sackey (Toulon and England)
13. Seru Rabeni (La Rochelle and Fiji)
12. Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Francais Paris and France)
11. Doug Howlett (Munster and New Zealand)
10. Brock James (Clermont Auvergne)
9. Sebastien Tillous-Borde (Castres Olympique and France)

1. Iestyn Thomas (Scarlets and Wales)
2. Sebastien Bruno (Toulon and France)
3. Carl Hayman (Toulon and New Zealand)
4. Iosefa Tekori (Castres Olympique and Samoa)
5. Paul Tito (Cardiff Blues)
6. Joe van Niekerk (Toulon and South Africa)
7. Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues and Wales)
8. Sergio Parisse (captain, Stade Francais Paris and Italy).

Replacements: Leonardo Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso and Italy), Davit Kubriashvili (Toulon and Georgia), Erik Lund (Biarritz Olympique and Norway), George Smith (Toulon and Australia), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Willie Mason (Toulon), Benoit Baby (Clermont Auvergne and France).

That's one hell of a centre partnership!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Luckless:

Spot on, the tactics has been the Wales problem for the last 2.5 years. Everybody is talking about the back row but our back row was very good in the 6N after Powell was taken off (thank god he is not in the picture). If we go for a kicking game we are stuffed, the half backs picked are not suited to kicking.
I am not concerned about the second row as they are both powerful and get around the park, I am concerned about Bennett throwing in and lack of option in the line out of the back row as line outs are usually more important than scrums these days.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I like the look of the team except for number 2. Looking forward to seeing how Scott Williams steps up when he comes on. quite excited about seeing the new bloods actually...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Have you seen Bastareaud lately ? Adam Jones looks fit compared to him, hes fatter than a Somoan Prop.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm

OK it's our scratch side against theirs but I don't like our front row , centres or wings and if thats bad enough wait until GAT brings on the replacements. Erm

I hope this next Baabaas team are a lot worse side than the french / SA lot that knackered England !

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I hope it is a good Baa Baas side there is little gain if they are rubbish or we will go into the next set of games with the wrong team! Find out now if the new and current players are any good for the RWC. Like others why is Bennett anywhere near the team and I feel the same about Stoddart and S Jones one can't defend (legally) or catch the high ball and the other is worst than ordinary IMO.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:24 am

Anybody know how ticket sales have gone? Huw Thomas in his column on Scrum.com thinks not well, but on ticketmaster it gives the impression of a likely fullhouse.

I was confident of a Welsh win, but having now seen the lineups I'm not sure. Not the best of front rows really, though that said Bevington should show up well should the game plan be attack minded. Still think our young backrow should have some joy and I guess we see how good Henson's D is with the big lump Basteraud running at him. Hopefully Howley will finally earn his crust as an attack coach this weekend and get Spikey to get the ball away from rucks post haste. I'd love to see Brew get the same ball he does off the Dragons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:41 am

My big fear for this team is that the backs, many of whom are hoping to put their hands up for WC selection and will therefore relish the chance to get front foot ball, may be stifled by Mike Phillips. If we're experimenting then why go for Phillips? He's been our main 9 for a few years. Surely Gatland knows what he can do at this level?

If Gatland's looking for him to find some form in this game then it may be at the expense of the other backs' opportunities. He has been far too slow and selfish at the ruck for about 2 years now. He'll either take too long to get the ball away as he's waving his arms around and pointing things out to the ref (our backs then get the ball standing still and the opposition has a chance to set their defensive line) or he's picking and driving like a forward (with no scrum half to come in to get quick ball away).

Stephen Jones is a good option to play with Phillips because he can ride a tackle if he gets slow ball and is mullered by the opposition. However, Jones is also good at playing flat on the gain line and quick service and a quick delivery from Jones means our exciting backs can do what they do best. This is why I think Jones' best years have been when he's had the likes of Peel at scrum half. Maybe things will change if Knoyle comes on, but I'm not sure he's that 'zippy' either???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 am

Good post Griff, and I agree witha lot of it.

Knoyle might not be the quickest scrum half either, but he's faster then Phillips, and more importantly he's been in good form recently. Also Stephen Jones is used to playing outside him every week.

You're right though about picking Phillips might have an affect on the opportunities of the other backs we've picked that need to prove themselves. I just have a horrible feeling that Gats knows Phillips needs game time (as he hasn't had any for the O's) so he's going to let him play himself back into form via these summer games. I think this is going to be detremental on our squad as a whole though. We've been saying for well over a year that we need quick ball for our backs to show what they're going to do, and unfortunately I can't see us getting any with Phillips at scrum half Sad

Having said that I don't think the slow ball is entirely Phillips' fault. Our forwards need to carry more and commit more to rucks to offer him the protection to be able to get quick ball too though. That's something I hope to see an improvement on in these warm up games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:12 am

rugbydreamer,

Yeah you're spot on. I used to rate Phillips as one of the best about, and he added a new dimension of physicality (said in a Jonathan Davies voice!) that we have rarely had, so he's not bad. He's just not in form. The reason Phillips waves his arms around, points at the ruck and has to go in himself is often because our forwards have not secured it. You're right, he can't take all of the blame.

I'm not convinced that he's very good at digging the ball out, if that makes sense? When Peel came on against France we had a much higher tempo as he got straight into any messy ruck and ripped the ball out or raked it out with his feet (is that the right word?) and got it away to the backs. Phillips doesn't seem as good at this and the tempo is often lost. But yes, we're not blessed with great rucking forwards. Warburton seems good at winning turnovers and Lydiate seems good at tackling, but we seem a bit shy of smashing the rucks like the SH nations do. The epitomy of this is Adam Jones. Great scrummager, one of the best in the world, but with his size and bulk you'd think he could clear the ruck out easily on his own! However, he just sort of gets there and rests on top! Can't be good for a scrum half.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:10 am

Unfortunately, Griff, if the forwards are instructed to stand out in midfield we're never going to secure the ball well enough to get quick ball. But the French game must have taught Gatland that if we don't commit forwards to the ruck, the opposition will just come through and steal it - surely?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am

Luckless, I'd like to think that! But I'm not convinced Gatland learns from his mistakes - he's one of those that is convinced his way is the right way even when it does not work. He will persevere until he gets some joy playing his way and then that justifies all of the other failings.

I like a coach who is brave enough to admit defeat, take advice, and go back to the drawing board to come up with some new tactics. I think Ian McGeechan is one of those.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm afraid you're right, Griff. He comes across as a stubborn man.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 pm

<<I like a coach who is brave enough to admit defeat,>>

But when that happens the coach is usually leaving..............

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 pm

http://www.737challenge.com/news/1/everest-footage-to-be-revealed-at-wales-v-barbaria.html

Will be good to see this. Would be good if he comes out on the pitch too. I'm sure he will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down