The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you ready?

+11
CFCNick
Il Gialloblu
Duty281
westisbest
lorus59
The Special Juan
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Hibbz
Hero
Crimey
JamesLincs
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are you ready? Empty Are you ready?

Post by JamesLincs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

Hey guys and girls. i know were not all filled with optimism for this tournament, but im still very excited for 4 weeks of solid football! Is everyone ready for friday? what are your plans for the 3 group games?

ill be at Lincoln engine shed again, as i was for the world cup. was a fantastic atmosphere in there despite our performances.. there was probably between 150-250 people at the venue in 2010, hopefully there will be even more there this year.. even though it would make it harder to get a drink!

ive listened to three lions and vindaloo pretty much everyday for the last 3 weeks now, i am just about ready to celebrate the greatest sport on the planet, it is sure to be a fantastic tournament

COME ON ENGLAND!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Are you ready? Empty Re: Are you ready?

Post by Crimey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

As much as it's depressingly unpatriotic, I'm much more looking forward to seeing some other big games, particularly Group B, with all the teams in there promising some good matches.

I think it could be a good tournament.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

I often enjoy the tournaments more so after England have fallen by the wayside.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

I always enjoy the tournament more once it is free of the chronically boring hyperbole about England and the constant trips to their training camp where we hear mogadon induced soundbites from whichever stuffed dummy is put in front of the press.

Favourite World Cup from memory was 1994.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

Well done JamesLincs.

I find it utterly depressing watching the English nation resentfully supporting their nation rather than actually willingly supporting them.
Treating it as one, long drawn-out agonising anticipation of failure, rather than the festival of football it is.
They don't deserve the team they have. The English deserve the Welsh team. Or the Scottish team. Or even Papua New Guinea's team.

Just get behind them! Do you see other countries (Greece?) going "aw we're not going to win it so what's the point. I can't wait for us to go out... put us out of our misery"

No. You don't.

I'm not even English and C'MON ENGLAND!

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

I'm going to be a big saddo and try to watch every game. Why? Because I can!

Besides, looking forward to England failing. Again. Honestly, the reaction of the pundits does it for me every time.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

Why should I support a team full of people I dislike just because of an accident of birth? Trust me I won't be resentfully supporting them I will be gleefully enjoying their demise and the misery of the simple minded sheep who cheer for them "because they should".

I'm English, and C'MON GERMANY.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

i pity you hibbz, i really do.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

If you're going to take that attitude Hibbz, you should at least support somebody more interesting than one of the favourites for the tournament.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

Given that you'll be sharing a venue with 150 angry (they'd be disappointed but that's too complex an emotion for a single brain cell) knuckle draggers from Mablethorpe, wired up on "£7 for a four pint jug of Carlsberg", I'd save some of that pity for yourself if I were you.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

Crimey wrote:If you're going to take that attitude Hibbz, you should at least support somebody more interesting than one of the favourites for the tournament.

You can't "choose" who you support Crimey. It may well be irrational (isn't cheering on anything that won't have a direct effect on your own life?) but I like the German football team. Therefore I will be cheering for them.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

Hibbz wrote:Given that you'll be sharing a venue with 150 angry (they'd be disappointed but that's too complex an emotion for a single brain cell) knuckle draggers from Mablethorpe, wired up on "£7 for a four pint jug of Carlsberg", I'd save some of that pity for yourself if I were you.

id check that map again as mablethorpe is on the coast, idiot.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

JamesLincs wrote:Hey guys and girls. i know were not all filled with optimism for this tournament, but im still very excited for 4 weeks of solid football! Is everyone ready for friday? what are your plans for the 3 group games?

ill be at Lincoln engine shed again, as i was for the world cup. was a fantastic atmosphere in there despite our performances.. there was probably between 150-250 people at the venue in 2010, hopefully there will be even more there this year.. even though it would make it harder to get a drink!

ive listened to three lions and vindaloo pretty much everyday for the last 3 weeks now, i am just about ready to celebrate the greatest sport on the planet, it is sure to be a fantastic tournament

COME ON ENGLAND!

There are only 3 group games in 4 weeks of football? That is going to be pretty boring.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

JamesLincs wrote:
Hibbz wrote:Given that you'll be sharing a venue with 150 angry (they'd be disappointed but that's too complex an emotion for a single brain cell) knuckle draggers from Mablethorpe, wired up on "£7 for a four pint jug of Carlsberg", I'd save some of that pity for yourself if I were you.

id check that map again as mablethorpe is on the coast, idiot.

For sure but "Ug, ug ug pictures they move ug, booze 4 pints £7 ug giro go further ug ug we go Engine Shed ug ug ug ug"

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

You go and support your country JamesLincs.

Good for you buddy.

England may/may not do well, but at least your supporting your country.

Everybody has the right to support their country or not, (personally dont understand people that dont.)

Reminds me a bit of last season watching Villa.
Some fans saying i'm not going to watch us untill we do better.
OK we were very poor last season, but surely you support your team through good times and bad.

It aint always gonna be good.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

this is the first time im confident we will struggle, but im still going to enjoy every game we play in, every goal we score, every goal line clearance, every joe hart save. ill be happy aslong as we play well, with atleast some confidence and atleast exit with some pride

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home! COME ON ENGLAND!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Crimey wrote:If you're going to take that attitude Hibbz, you should at least support somebody more interesting than one of the favourites for the tournament.

You can't "choose" who you support Crimey. It may well be irrational (isn't cheering on anything that won't have a direct effect on your own life?) but I like the German football team. Therefore I will be cheering for them.

You have chosen Germany, because they're likely to win...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

Personally I couldn't care for England, but that doesn't just extend to football, it's a general hatred of this country

However I could also never bring myself to shout for another country

I'll watch the England games, but only because I'll be going the pub with my mates, the alcohol will ward off the inevitable boredom that comes from watching england

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

Crimey wrote:
Hibbz wrote:

That's not true though is it? They are more likely not to win than they are to win.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

I'm not really ready, I must admit. The complete lack of build up or hype here coupled with the time difference and no telly in my house means I'll be doing one of the following for the games:

- watching them online, by myself, probably with Chinese commentary, at stupid o'clock in the morning.

- going to the 24hr McDonalds to watch them on their telly during my holiday next week

- missing them

If you've ever been somewhere hot over Christmas, you might understand. The familiar feeling just isn't there. I'll still be joining JamesLincs spiritually though, making a point to watch every England game however late they may be and actually caring how they do.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:42 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Hibbz wrote:

That's not true though is it? They are more likely not to win than they are to win.

Hibbz, you sound like a typical glory supporter. Have you ever been to Germany? Any German relatives? You've chosen Germany because they're many people's favourites to win when in actual fact you should be supporting England as it's where your from.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

Nope, like I said it's as irrational as your desire for England to win when it doesn't really affect your life. I've liked the German football team since Karl-Heinz Rummenigge played therefore I shall cheer for them.

You say I should support England because of an accident of birth, I say I don't support them because I don't like their players. I know which makes sense to me.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

Hibbz wrote:Nope, like I said it's as irrational as your desire for England to win when it doesn't really affect your life. I've liked the German football team since Karl-Heinz Rummenigge played therefore I shall cheer for them.

You say I should support England because of an accident of birth, I say I don't support them because I don't like their players. I know which makes sense to me.

How can you have allegiance or cheer for a country that is hundreds of miles away and one you've never been to? It's a bit like Manchester United supporters who have never been to Manchester.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

I'm ready!!! I've got my red JT shirt, because I refuse to pay £50 for a football shirt and that extends to Chelsea too, and my St George's flag ready to hang in my office.

I'll be at work for the France game but should get home about half an hour into the Sweden and Ukraine games. After that I'm all set for the knockout rounds.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!

Coincidentally, Hibbz, I'm free for all the Germany games. If you're free for the England games do you fancy swapping jobs for the first week? Whistle

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:21 pm

I will also be cheering on Germany because they play good football and their performances in the last 10 years probably merit picking up at least 1 trophy.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Hibbz wrote:Nope, like I said it's as irrational as your desire for England to win when it doesn't really affect your life. I've liked the German football team since Karl-Heinz Rummenigge played therefore I shall cheer for them.

How can you have allegiance or cheer for a country that is hundreds of miles away and one you've never been to? It's a bit like Manchester United supporters who have never been to Manchester.

I'm not cheering for a country Duty, I'm cheering for a football team. I really hope you can see the difference. I enjoy watching Germany and their players therefore I'm happy when they win. I don't like a lot of the English players therefore them winning doesn't give me happiness.

And as for this glory hunting business, I can never understand when people revel in the perceived shared glory of someone else's achievements. The glory is with the players not the people cheering them on. I prefer to celebrate my own achievements.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:Coincidentally, Hibbz, I'm free for all the Germany games. If you're free for the England games do you fancy swapping jobs for the first week? Whistle

I'm a postman so will be able to watch all the games. Whether I chose to watch England or maybe the Weakest Link will be a tough one and perhaps the only difference will be an annoying person in black or several annoying people in white.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:33 pm

I as a Welsh fan believe it or not go for England in the major tournaments. In my head, they will be representing Britain in a way and I'm probably in the minority of supporters from the home nations who will be supporting England.

I always want Holland, Germany and Spain to do well as I enjoy the attacking free flowing game each team brings and hope each one of them reaches the Semi's.

Oh and come on Greece! we smashed Armeina 1-0 in our final warm up game before the Euro's. We've got the easiest group and as previous champions we should safely win each game 1-0. Free flowing football is so overated. Glad Mr.Roy Hodgson has adopted the same tactic as us, its a winning formula, although hopefully he doesn't play Rooney when he's available other wise that just ruins the whole game plan Very Happy

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I'm not cheering for a country Duty, I'm cheering for a football team. I really hope you can see the difference. I enjoy watching Germany and their players therefore I'm happy when they win. I don't like a lot of the English players therefore them winning doesn't give me happiness.

And as for this glory hunting business, I can never understand when people revel in the perceived shared glory of someone else's achievements. The glory is with the players not the people cheering them on. I prefer to celebrate my own achievements.

hibbz - stop this lad, its about supporting who we are what ever the ups and downs are, its about supporting our system, our neighbours, our fans. a few wrongon england players shouldnt taint them all!! you think the german players are saints- pahhhh, you probally dont know enough about them thats all!

Come back- go on just for this tourny Are you ready? 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

and if you are cheering for a football team over a country, then how the heck do you know if they will play the best football of the tourny. If you want good football to win out, just watch all the games and repsect what you see and base your favourite team on the play in the tourny!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

I fully support our system and my neighbours but will not cheer for the England football team.

If it's any consolation I'm a big fan of the England cricket team as I like the players. Digital portable radio fully charged and ready for the 3rd Test tomorrow.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

He's supporting Germany because it makes him feel cool and rebellious.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:46 pm

I only have one exam during the Euro's, so I'm planning on watching as many games as possible.

Looking forward to seeing Super Roy guide England to glory with 6 1-0 victories!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Hibbz wrote:I fully support our system and my neighbours but will not cheer for the England football team.

If it's any consolation I'm a big fan of the England cricket team as I like the players. Digital portable radio fully charged and ready for the 3rd Test tomorrow.

sweet- the one thing that has happened to me over the years is that cricket has become my fav sport Are you ready? 732107

england football have certainly lost that crown

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

So if Germany score a goal at the Euros you won't cheer it because that would be you revelling in the percieved shared glory of someone else's achievements?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

I think you'll find cheering for something and revelling in perceived glory are entirely different things.

Your location statement says you're from England and proud of it, I might be wrong but I don't understand how can you be proud of something you've had no control over?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

hibbz were you not proud of the england cricket teams win in aus?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

Hibbz wrote:I think you'll find cheering for something and revelling in perceived glory are entirely different things.

Your location statement says you're from England and proud of it, I might be wrong but I don't understand how can you be proud of something you've had no control over?

What it means is I'm English and proud to be an English citizen. Why can't I be proud of something I have no control over, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

The odd thing about hibbz statement is that he shows an english trait in not wanting to be patriotic- ask fans from the other 15 countries in this euros and they would think his attitude is very odd and are very proud of there countries. That i am sure of..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Hibbz wrote:I fully support our system and my neighbours but will not cheer for the England football team.

sweet- the one thing that has happened to me over the years is that cricket has become my fav sport Are you ready? 732107

england football have certainly lost that crown

We're of similar ages Mysti (I'm 38) so I'll tell you how it's gone.

First world cup I remember was 1982 when I guess I did as I was expected and cheered on England. First game they were great, scored in 27secs and won 3-1. They got through the group into a second group where I think they drew both games 0-0 and went out despite bringing on supposed world beaters Keegan and Brooking who'd been out with injury. My over-riding memory of that World Cup was the Brazilians who also went out at the next stage.

'84 Euros - England failed to qualify but I remember Platini being fantastic.

'86 World Cup - England fall through an easy group thanks to a victory over Poland and then into the Q-Finals after beating the mighty Paraguay. They are then totally outclassed by Argentina and the amazing Maradona but all our fans can go on about is how we would have won if not for the referee and how Maradona is just a cheat.

'88 Euros - This is our time we've a fantastic team and simply cannot be stopped. I'm young enough to drink it all in and still believe until we're beaten in all 3 games with Adams made to look a total buffoon.

'90 World Cup - I'm in my prime as a football fan, following Nottm Forest home and away but am beginning to realise that England are not all they're cracked up to be. Three group games in which England are thoroughly crap but still manage to get through after an amazing 1-0 win over the might of Eygpt. A late winner against Belgium and two penalties see us past the world force that are Cameroon and then we've actually stumbled and I mean stumbled upon a team that is relatively good and a system that works. Our best performance follows but still isn't quite good enough and out we go. Now for the following years all we hear about is how good that team was and how we were the best team at the event. Bull$hit really.

Now you get where I'm going with this and the older I've got the more and more of this bull I've heard the less and less I've wanted to hear. All the following tournaments have merged into one, with the possible exception of '96 where the performance against Holland was good but the rest was average built up to be amazing, until we reach a stage now where I'll happily cheer another team.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

mystiroakey wrote:hibbz were you not proud of the england cricket teams win in aus?

Happy yes, proud in no way shape or form. How could I be proud? It wasn't any of my doing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proud

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

yep all the tournies have merged into one for me as well bar 96

but what about the scotland game at euro 96(gazzas goal) and the germany game were we went out in pens!! come on- good tourny all round, we were abit unlucky not to get to the final.

but look dude- answer me this seriously- would you rather germany or england win this.

if england went out and played great football and won- would you actually be gutted??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The odd thing about hibbz statement is that he shows an english trait in not wanting to be patriotic- ask fans from the other 15 countries in this euros and they would think his attitude is very odd and are very proud of there countries. That i am sure of..

Mysti, what makes you think I'm not patriotic? All I've said is that I won't cheer for the England football team.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

Hibbz wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:hibbz were you not proud of the england cricket teams win in aus?

Happy yes, proud in no way shape or form. How could I be proud? It wasn't any of my doing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proud

your just arguing symatics though hibbz, you understand how people feel.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:27 pm

Hibbz wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:The odd thing about hibbz statement is that he shows an english trait in not wanting to be patriotic- ask fans from the other 15 countries in this euros and they would think his attitude is very odd and are very proud of there countries. That i am sure of..

Mysti, what makes you think I'm not patriotic? All I've said is that I won't cheer for the England football team.

Still an english trait- especially with our football team. You are not alone

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

mystiroakey wrote:yep all the tournies have merged into one for me as well bar 96

but what about the scotland game at euro 96(gazzas goal) and the germany game were we went out in pens!! come on- good tourny all round, we were abit unlucky not to get to the final.

but look dude- answer me this seriously- would you rather germany or england win this.

if england went out and played great football and won- would you actually be gutted??

The Scotland game we were poor, struggled to beat a very weak Scotland team. Gazza's goal was fantastic though. As much as we were unlucky to lose in the semi we were equally lucky to get through the quarters where Spain were the better team.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

Hibbz all tourny winners get luck along the way-The gaza goal was iconic, playing against scotland for us is very hard- its a grind and you cant expect the best performance.. to much intensity from our opposition. We played brilliantly v germny in the semi, we didnt win but we can be proud(dont take it literally its really just a saying) of what england did!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Hibbz wrote:

Still an english trait- especially with our football team. You are not alone

All of my traits are English, I am English I just don't feel the need to support the England football team.

Of course I'm not alone there are any number of people put off supporting England because they have it rammed down their throats by people who insist we must get behind our boys like they're a representative of the nation. They represent our ability at football. Nothing more.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Hibbz all tourny winners get luck along the way-The gaza goal was iconic, playing against scotland for us is very hard- its a grind and you cant expect the best performance.. to much intensity from our opposition. We played brilliantly v germny in the semi, we didnt win but we can be proud(dont take it literally its really just a saying) of what england did!

And all tournament losers get bad luck along the way. Besides England still didn't win.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next