The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era?

+20
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TheMackemMawler
Strongback
Rodney
88Chris05
Gordy
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
azania
BoxingFan88
seanmichaels
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
Duty281
davidemore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
Mr Bounce
mobilemaster8
24 posters

Go down

What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era? Empty What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era?

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

Just a quick thought on a post i read earlier regarding "Is boxing classed as a noble sport by casual fans". My add on to the information within the article is the following:

Fight Fixing

What are your top 3 stand-outs of the modern era? What fight do you feel someone truely would have won had it not been for who they were, or who they were linked to etc?

Mine would be:

Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 - I had this down as a 116-112 fight for JMM. When the scorecards were read out i was disgusted that Pacquiao had won. I was drunk. I re-watched it 4 times. Still cant beleive it. Not only that, but thousands of booeing fans surely lets everyone know what happened. Pacquiao looked deflated, Roach said he needed a KO as he was behind, JMM corner were telling him he had won so step of the gas. Shocker. REASON: Bob Arum. WHY: Potential of 3 massive money making fights starting with Bradley, Mayweather and JMM.

Abril vs Rios - I actually had a near enough shut out of around 119-110. No idea how Rios won this. He was outboxed and Outclassed. EVERYBODY knew Rios lost. REASON: Funnily enough, Bob Arum. WHY: Rios is chasing JMM and potentially mouth watering fight with Gamboa.

Fury vs McDermott/Williams vs McDermott - McDermott, in my eyes, won both fights.....fairly wide. Actually lost both. Think this was mainly down to referee in Williams bout having a nightmare. Fury fight however was due to, in my eyes, promoters again as he is the new British Heavyweight cash cow. Gypsy, 10ft tall, Punches himself in the face, Poopie chin, hard punch, cant box, looks fat.......all the makings of a funny fighter. REASON: Mixed WHY: No idea!

So what are you 3 fights and why?

Yours,

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era? Empty Re: What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era?

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

Define modern era.

The first Lewis - Holyfield fight certainly had something fishy about it. I had Lewis ahead by 3-4 rounds...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era? Empty Re: What are your top 3 Fight Fixes of the modern era?

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Laugh Your analysis of Fury made me laugh.

All bad decisions!

Would go with:
Pac V Marquez 3
Williams V Lara - I didnt watch the decision as it was late and it was so obvious who had won, came on 606v2 the next to find Lara had been robbed couldn't believe it...
Abril V Rios - I decided to not watch the last two rounds as it was a foregone conclusion Rios didnt hit him watched the decision and screamed "WHAT!?"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

In recent years

Abril vs Rios- no need to explain of you watched the fight

Williams vs Lara -same as above

Marquez vs pacquiao- not as clear as the others but the fact it was such a big fight and that it isn't the first time it ha sharpened to Marquez. How would pacquiao be remembered if his recor deity Marquez was 1 draw and 2 loses or even 3 losses

Cloud vs campilo deserves a mention also

It's worrying that these have all happened a year or 2 years ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

Chisora vs Helenius was probably the worst I have seen in about a decade.

The ref was up there with the Ottke vs Reid ref.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

lara vs williams was absolutely shocking. disgusting decision.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

Kirkland vs Molina was a howler too.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Kirkland vs Molina was a howler too.

Wouldn't call it a fix although very controversial

-Molina was ahead on all of the judges cards
-Molina wasn't warned once for holding
-Molina's corner actually made the red make a call
-The ref had a rule book and it's a DQ according to the rules

Not saying I think it was right but it wasn't a fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

Lewis v Holyfield 1 - Disgusting decision but Don King wanted to make more money out of a rematch.

Chisora v Helenius - I hate Chisora but he won this one by about 118-110 yet somehow lost a split decsion.

Lara v Williams - Lara clearly won but somehow lost a majority decision. Disgusting.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:54 pm

Lara Williams is so bad as his career has really suffered as a result of that. Had he been given the W then he would be somebody at the weight. Now everyone has seen what he can do he is avoided.

Abril too, who would want to face him now? So awkward.

Helenius v Chisora was a straight up fix

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:17 pm

Williams vs Martinez 1 was a bit dodgey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Williams vs Martinez 1 was a bit dodgey

Yeah, one of the cards was ridiculous. If you are going to cheat someone at least be subtle about it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:47 pm

Would say that one scorecard in the Martinez fight was dodgy but Williams getting the win wasn't, was a close fight that really could have gone either way dependent on what areas of scoring you place most emphasise on.

Worst i've seen for a while is Martinez against Cintron.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:49 pm

McDermott v Fury 1 was a stinker.

Lewis v Holyfield 1 riled me, wrote to Sky asking for my money back.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:57 pm

Fury vs Mcdermott 1
Williams vs Lara
Pacquiao vs Marquez III
Huck vs Lebedev
Chisora vs Helenius

The worst of the lot:

Rios vs Abril

Without doubt the worst robbery I have ever seen.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

Whittaker v Chavez
Whittaker v Ramires (massive robbery)
Tarver v Jones 1

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:24 pm

Want to be careful when putting Fury-Mcdermott down as fixed..That was a referee's decision and that is slanderous calling it a fix/bent!!!!

A political site Labourhome was forced to close when someone off site did it for a member's slanderous comment..

606 take heed!!!

Obviously referred to already Whittaker Ramirez was 120-108 shutout...and is the worst!! though Windy would tell you Sharkey-Fitz was!

Think Jones vs the korean takes some beating........even the Korean admitted he was hammered!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

The fact that Martinez knocked him out pretty much and still only got a draw makes it worst I think.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Lewis against Holfield without a doubt. That was a fix if ever there has been. Thank goodness he had the chance to put it right because that first fight was genuinely shocking.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

Surely one ref is easier to bribe than 3 judges? Cheaper anyway.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Want to be careful when putting Fury-Mcdermott down as fixed..That was a referee's decision and that is slanderous calling it a fix/bent!!!!

A political site Labourhome was forced to close when someone off site did it for a member's slanderous comment..

606 take heed!!!

Obviously referred to already Whittaker Ramirez was 120-108 shutout...and is the worst!! though Windy would tell you Sharkey-Fitz was!

Think Jones vs the korean takes some beating........even the Korean admitted he was hammered!!

Terry O'Connor is a cheat....................In my opinion. Hows that?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

You're a silly boy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

In the past five years or so, Gorres-Darchinyan is the worst I've seen by a country mile. Granted, it was 'only' scored a draw, but it was still the epitome of a 'hometown decision.' Never really warned to Vic, but had nothing but sympathy for him there.

You can throw Inkin-Zuniga in to the mix, too. Wasn't impressed with Inkin to start with when he continually messed Froch around for a potential fight, was even less impressed when he ended up on the right end of such a terrible verdict.

Has anyone else here seen Alfredo Escalera against Tyrone Everett? A true shocker, made even more incredible due to the fact that it took place in Everett's back yard!

It gets mentioned on every thread similar to this one, but I can't fail to mention it, so terrible was it; Whitaker-Ramirez I. No off nights from the judges. No difference of opinion on the art of scoring. No possible way to even begin to justify how the scorecards read the way they did. Nope, this decision can only be put down to blatant larceny - it's a painfully obvious example of a stitch up. It remains, without a shadow of a doubt, the most horrendous and scandalously unjust verdict I've ever seen handed out in a world title fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

I'm not sure they fixes but fights that were terribly judged and blatant robberies IMO

Hagler v Autofermo: Marvin won that by a good handsome 5 rounds.

I think it was Luis Rodriguez who got completely stitched up against the masterful and one my faves Emile Griffith, not once but a couple of times.

More recent on our shores and a fighter I enjoyed watching In Jn Chi fought a great fight with Michael Brodie and really won by a margin.

Cheers

Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Want to be careful when putting Fury-Mcdermott down as fixed..That was a referee's decision and that is slanderous calling it a fix/bent!!!!

606 take heed!!!

That's what happens when you hang around with commies.

The final qualifier for the Olympic Games in Turkey stunk very badly.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:23 pm

Didn't see this fight but heard a few saying Ashley Theophane got shafted the other week. Any truth on that one?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

The Biggest Fix in History: Roy Jones against that Korean in the Olympics.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

Cox v Sai last year. A disgrace from the ref and the judges.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

Don King fixed an entire tournament back in the 70s comlete with fake records and rankings for the fighters. That would take it for me if the 70s encompasses modern.

Recently I suspect Chisora/Hellenius was a fix. Not just for the judging but the fact that Hellenius was injured going into the bout. Made me think his promoters werent bothered cancelling the show so decided on their own insurance.

Was it the Briggs/Gree fight that was almost certainly a dive?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Cox v Sai last year. A disgrace from the ref and the judges.

Thats the one, I was trying to remember it all say

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen but didn't get as much attention as it wasn't a big fight

I think I had it 117-109 as he had 2 points deducted for low blows, should have been DQed

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:46 am

manos de piedra wrote:Don King fixed an entire tournament back in the 70s comlete with fake records and rankings for the fighters. That would take it for me if the 70s encompasses modern.

Recently I suspect Chisora/Hellenius was a fix. Not just for the judging but the fact that Hellenius was injured going into the bout. Made me think his promoters werent bothered cancelling the show so decided on their own insurance.

Was it the Briggs/Gree fight that was almost certainly a dive?

I remember reading about the Don King tournament on here a while back, most likely an article by the great Windy. I've not seen any of the fights from it but from what I read it sounded horrific in every possible way.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:15 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Cox v Sai last year. A disgrace from the ref and the judges.

Thats the one, I was trying to remember it all say

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen but didn't get as much attention as it wasn't a big fight

I think I had it 117-109 as he had 2 points deducted for low blows, should have been DQed

I think I had Sai winning it by about 6 rounds. Cox got the decision on all 3 judges scorecards. Mark Green the referee should have never been allowed to ref again. No surprise really given Ian John Lewis was a judge.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:26 am

Sai won that fight clearly!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:41 am

I don't think Trinidad beat de la Hoya,even if Oscar did cruise for the last few rounds, he'd done enough in the first seven or eight rounds to get a UD not lose by split decision.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

Enzo Macs last fight was real dodgy.

Theophanes last fight could have gone either way and to be fair it went to the no name, Theophanes was awful.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Enzo Macs last fight was real dodgy.

Theophanes last fight could have gone either way and to be fair it went to the no name, Theophanes was awful.

ALEX!!!!

Don't add that dreaded "S" to the end of Ashley's surname as well!!!!

We already have enough with Eubanks, Abrahams etc!! haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:The Biggest Fix in History: Roy Jones against that Korean in the Olympics.
Yes!

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Enzo Macs last fight was real dodgy.

ALEX!!!!

Don't add that dreaded "S" to the end of Ashley's surname as well!!!!

We already have enough with Eubanks, Abrahams etc!! haha
Laugh
Was a genuine mistake, honest!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

To be honest, amatuer boxing is rife with fixes based on what country the competitions are held in, those from the country ALWAYS get gifts in some form or another.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:50 am

Fights that I witnessed:

Fury v McDermott I: This was a blatent robbery. I had it 98-92 or 97-93 McDermott, each time I have watched it. As I have said it the past, it is strange that Terry O'Connor was spanked out by John's dad during his boxing career (Stan McDermott). Then gave a strange 98-92 decision to Fury!

This whole incident set the president that 3 judges should judge an english title fight.

Williams v Martinez I: Not as such the result because being fair it could have went either way, but 119-110 card in favor of Williams screams out foul play to me. Even if you rate workrate over clean work, there were rounds that you couldn't possibly give to Williams. Which obviously were!

Cox v Sai: Were do I start, very poor officating and judging. Cox probably seen Sai as a can brought over for an easy belt and to pad his record but boy he was wrong. He under estimated him and struggled from the outset. He was being outboxed, roughed up, cut and had to resort to dirty tactics to get to see the end of the fight. With 2!! point deductions no one would have thought that this could have been scored in Cox's favor, oh how we were proved wrong!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

Last night topped them all for me, haven't been a long time fan but last night left me disgusted.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down