The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

+60
JDizzle
belovedfrosties
ChequeredJersey
gelodge
sugarNspikes
Zander
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Duty281
Coleman
CurlyOsp
HQ matt
damngoodOvalball
2ndtimeround
mzan
GavinDragon
Rava
doctor_grey
TycroesOsprey
rodders
Cadair Idris
nathan
anotherworldofpain
dogtooth
kingjohn7
LondonTiger
welliamwibb
HERSH
mrzimmerman
Taylorman
welshy6
WWosprey
OzT
Pal Joey
Rob B
Rory_Gallagher
niwatts
Knowsit17
Ozzy3213
Smirnoffpriest
wales606
glamorganalun
George Carlin
slartibartfast
Liam
Islingtonv2
Morgannwg
offload
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
Pot Noodle Miner
mckay1402
ScarletSpiderman
Cari
boomeranga
maestegmafia
Biltong
Cymroglan
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
munkian
64 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Empty Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Captain Sam Warburton returns to lead Wales against Australia

Australia coach Deans makes wholesale changes against Wales

TEAMS

Wallaby

Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

Scott Williams at 12, ken Owens hooker which is a great call , no Webb on bench though which is a bit gutting, Lloyd was awful against the Baa Baas thumbsdown

Tour Previews
http://www.v2journal.com/wales-summer-tour-preview.html
http://www.v2journal.com/australias-june-tests-preview.html

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:25 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : stickied)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You just wanted to point out how many Scarlets there are in the backs, didn't you? Wink

Not really, as I remember on the old 606 the amount of folk who claim Scarlets heavy Welsh sides tend to play poor! I think that sometimes partnerships in certain positions are useful, and that is why Beck may have missed out on the inside centre shirt to Williams.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Looks a good side and as expected - I would definately have preferred Webb on the bench instead of Ll Williams and think Beck has been playing better than Williams so should have gotten the call, but then there are arguments For the inclusion of Scot Williams as well. Either way I would have preferred Liam Williams on the bench instead of a centre as that would have given better balance to the bench and allowed us to cover 9,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 comfortably (as it is I'm not comfortable with the thought of Hook at FB or Beck/S Williams on the Wing)

Other than that it's a good team and like people say even though the Oz are a v good team, we've never had a better chance to beat them

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Someone mentioned how far our depth has come along in the last 2 years. It's been pointed out there is only one Ospreys in the starting line-up. I remember the days when there would be 10 or more. Now we can put out a good team without one Ospreys in the team (minus Jones, put in a fit Mitchell); just an observation!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Someone mentioned how far our depth has come along in the last 2 years. It's been pointed out there is only one Ospreys in the starting line-up. I remember the days when there would be 10 or more. Now we can put out a good team without one Ospreys in the team (minus Jones, put in a fit Mitchell); just an observation!

The majority of players are Blues or Scalets, but even without one of them we could put out a strong side

Tipuric for Warbs
Evans for Davies
James for Jenkins
Hook for Halfpenny
Liam Williams for Cuthbert (probably the least depth is in the back 3 at the moment)

Or

Hook for Preitland
Beck for Williams
Bishop/Jamie Roberts for JD2
Robinson/Li.Williams for North
Bennett/Hibbard for Owens
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

wales606 wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Someone mentioned how far our depth has come along in the last 2 years. It's been pointed out there is only one Ospreys in the starting line-up. I remember the days when there would be 10 or more. Now we can put out a good team without one Ospreys in the team (minus Jones, put in a fit Mitchell); just an observation!

The majority of players are Blues or Scalets, but even without one of them we could put out a strong side

Tipuric for Warbs
Evans for Davies
James for Jenkins
Hook for Halfpenny
Liam Williams for Cuthbert (probably the least depth is in the back 3 at the moment)

Or

Hook for Preitland
Beck for Williams

You forget that Liam Williams plays for the Scarlets too! Shocked Wales

I agree with what you both say though our strength and depth is much better - and it says something about the Ospreys that even with loosing a number of international players (Hook, Byrne, Phillips, James, Mitchell) they can still have a number of players in the matchday squad (A Jones, AWJ, R Jones & Beck) with a load unlucky to miss out (Tupric, Bevington, Hibbert, Webb and even D Jones - with Walker and Dirksen to follow).

It's nice to see that the internationals are coming from all 4 regions so that no one team is taking a huge hit - something I was worried about with the Scarlets at one point, even now we were struggling to cover our backline throughout the 6N's

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Tipuric for Warbs
Evans for Davies
James for Jenkins
Hook for Halfpenny

Or

Hook for Preitland
Beck for Williams

You forget that Liam Williams plays for the Scarlets too! Shocked Wales

I agree with what you both say though our strength and depth is much better - and it says something about the Ospreys that even with loosing a number of international players (Hook, Byrne, Phillips, James, Mitchell) they can still have a number of players in the matchday squad (A Jones, AWJ, R Jones & Beck) with a load unlucky to miss out (Tupric, Bevington, Hibbert, Webb and even D Jones - with Walker and Dirksen to follow).

It's nice to see that the internationals are coming from all 4 regions so that no one team is taking a huge hit - something I was worried about with the Scarlets at one point, even now we were struggling to cover our backline throughout the 6N's

There was just as many Blues players in that backline, we had to shell out a few forwards too Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

Just saw that Joubert is the ref

I just hope he has got out of the habit of bottling it and letting the home team win when they are favourites - see NZ vs France for reference.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Teams look pretty evenly matched on paper to me. This could be Wales best chance of beating one of the big three in the Southern Hemisphere for a very long time.

Hopefully the weather will be better than for the Scotland match and we'll see a good game, with the best team on the day winning.

Looking forward to this one.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

wales606 wrote:
There was just as many Blues players in that backline, we had to shell out a few forwards too Wink

Soz I don't mean to say that the Scarlets make up the bulk of the team, or we're the only ones hit. I just meant that with our more inexperienced and smaller squad we were hit quite badly with missing our 1st choice 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15 as well as having our 9 and 11 out injured (knoyle and Stoddart) - though as you say the blues will be missing their whole back 3 for large parts of next season!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Soz I don't mean to say that the Scarlets make up the bulk of the team, or we're the only ones hit. I just meant that with our more inexperienced and smaller squad we were hit quite badly with missing our 1st choice 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15 as well as having our 9 and 11 out injured (knoyle and Stoddart) - though as you say the blues will be missing their whole back 3 for large parts of next season!

I was just joking - the Scarlets lost the more crucial players, both centres, 10 (both 10s for a but) and a winger. The Blues lost 2 back 3 players (of which we have/had many) and a centre who NEVER plays for us, or plays well for us at least.

The Scarlets could find it worse soon - No SJ, no Preistland, no JD2, no Sc.Williams, no North, no Li.Williams and potentially no Stoddart, G.Davies or Warren. Ouch, thats an entire 22 worth of backs gone.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

And in the forwards; Rhodri Jones, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees, Josh Turnbull, Rob McCusker(?). Plus they'll be blooding new players after losing three 2nd rows, a prop and a no.8.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

wales606 wrote:Just saw that Joubert is the ref

I just hope he has got out of the habit of bottling it and letting the home team win when they are favourites - see NZ vs France for reference.

Well if you are already concerned about the best referee in the world, then we all should pack our bags and head for the mountains.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Cheers10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

biltongbek wrote:

Well if you are already concerned about the best referee in the world, then we all should pack our bags and head for the mountains.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Cheers10

Best ref in the world when he was selected for the RWC final

Not the best ref in the world after the RWC final.

Pitty Nigel Owens is Welsh so we can never have him Sad

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

Morgannwg wrote:And in the forwards; Rhodri Jones, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees, Josh Turnbull, Rob McCusker(?). Plus they'll be blooding new players after losing three 2nd rows, a prop and a no.8.

Please don't your making my feel a little vomit

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

We like Joubert. In charge of 08 win at Twickers, last year's QF defeat of Ireland and this year's GS decider in Cardiff. The omens have just gotten better Yahoo

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:35 pm

Just glad it isnt Clancy or Rolland

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:00 pm

..or Steve 'does my hair look nice' Walsh vomit

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

martyr_94 wrote:..or Steve 'does my hair look nice' Walsh vomit

SA and England have him laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

I offer my condolences to both sets of players and fans Laugh

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:06 pm

wales606 wrote:

Technically, now Walsh is an Aussie and all, he could ref NZ vs Ireland. And since we've had the good sense ( Headscratch ) to pick a Aaron Smith, a qualified hairdresser*, at half back Walsh wouldn't have to worry about his hair being out of place Whistle

*A hairdresser in the ABs. Whatever next? Yikes
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Technically, now Walsh is an Aussie and all, he could ref NZ vs Ireland. And since we've had the good sense ( Headscratch ) to pick a Aaron Smith, a qualified hairdresser*, at half back Walsh wouldn't have to worry about his hair being out of place Whistle

Damn, you guys think of everything.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Smiley-rolleyes003
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:19 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Damn, you guys think of everything.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Smiley-rolleyes003

Biltong, your emoticon obsessed - ive created a monster by giving you that link.

That one makes my eyes hurt.

Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Dead
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

It hurts my eyes too.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Smiley-fart004
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

biltongbek wrote:It hurts my eyes too.Wallabies v Wales match day teams and matchday thread - Page 2 Smiley-fart004

Mine too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

wales606 wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:
wales606 wrote:

I was just joking - the Scarlets lost the more crucial players, both centres, 10 (both 10s for a but) and a winger. The Blues lost 2 back 3 players (of which we have/had many) and a centre who NEVER plays for us, or plays well for us at least.

The Scarlets could find it worse soon - No SJ, no Preistland, no JD2, no Sc.Williams, no North, no Li.Williams and potentially no Stoddart, G.Davies or Warren. Ouch, thats an entire 22 worth of backs gone.

Luckily the academy seems to keep churning out talent...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

Wouldn't Williams & Davies usually play the other way round for Scarlets?

From what I've seen of them both (less of Williams) that would seem to fit their styles of play better.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:54 pm

niwatts wrote:Wouldn't Williams & Davies usually play the other way round for Scarlets?

From what I've seen of them both (less of Williams) that would seem to fit their styles of play better.

Yes, but I wanted JD2 to stay at 13 anyway - He is a proven international 13, whereas Sc.Williams has only ever played 12 internationally. They switch around for the Scarlets, so Howley has wisely decided to keep his best 13, at 13.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Nice to see the game of the weekend has been given 'sticky' status. And why wouldn't it? It is the Tri-Nations champs versus the 'Grand Slammers'! Wink
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

That's your new favourite phrase, isn't it, Morgannwg? Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:That is a much better side than what the Aussies put out against Scotland, Wales realy need to be up for it on Saturday or it could be a long day at the office. Crying or Very sad

Headscratch

In what way is this a "much" better side than what was played against Scotland? Palu over Dennis, and the addition of Ashley Cooper. That is about it. I think you are heavily exaggerating here, possibly an excuse incase Wales lose while Scotland won.

For what it is worth, I think Wales will win this tour. The Australian team isn't much better, Wales are better than Scotland obviously, and Wales are playing well. It is their tour to lose IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

I think it's quite fitting having Grand Slammed it thrice times since the tournaments ineption. Smile
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:That is a much better side than what the Aussies put out against Scotland, Wales realy need to be up for it on Saturday or it could be a long day at the office. Crying or Very sad

Headscratch

In what way is this a "much" better side than what was played against Scotland? Palu over Dennis, and the addition of Ashley Cooper. That is about it. I think you are heavily exaggerating here, possibly an excuse incase Wales lose while Scotland won.

For what it is worth, I think Wales will win this tour. The Australian team isn't much better, Wales are better than Scotland obviously, and Wales are playing well. It is their tour to lose IMO.

I believe Aus also have new centres and a front row? That front row has got the better of us without Adam Jones. But now he's back Smile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

There are a few changes but the only one that is going to make a difference IMO is Ashley Cooper. I don't think the front row is going to make a difference for the aussies one bit, and their centre partnership is pretty one dimensional atm. I don't rate McCabe that much. Or Horne.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:16 pm

wales606 wrote:
niwatts wrote:Wouldn't Williams & Davies usually play the other way round for Scarlets?

Yes, but I wanted JD2 to stay at 13 anyway - He is a proven international 13, whereas Sc.Williams has only ever played 12 internationally. They switch around for the Scarlets, so Howley has wisely decided to keep his best 13, at 13.

I just checked that as it didn't match my recollection. Of his 3 starts at centre 2 of them were at 13, and of his other 7 appearances from the bench at centre 3 of them were certainly at 13 (replacing Davies and partnering Roberts) and I think more as I'm certain I've seen him come on to partner Davies and line up outside him.

My impression is that Williams would prosper more in the outside centre channel as he has better footwork and is more likely to exploit the hint of a chance of an outside break.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:There are a few changes but the only one that is going to make a difference IMO is Ashley Cooper. I don't think the front row is going to make a difference for the aussies one bit, and their centre partnership is pretty one dimensional atm. I don't rate McCabe that much. Or Horne.

They've looked okay in the past when they have played us. I think they are just there to stop the big boys in the Wales team. I don't think Dowlais was getting in excuses early, he was perhaps highlighting how Australia will be much better on Sat(I also think they will step it up a gear). I'm sure he's quietly confident and some people have rated us as favourites; however if we did that ourselves we would be accused of being arrogant, etc... So it is best to talk up the opposition Very Happy.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

niwatts wrote:
wales606 wrote:

I just checked that as it didn't match my recollection. Of his 3 starts at centre 2 of them were at 13, and of his other 7 appearances from the bench at centre 3 of them were certainly at 13 (replacing Davies and partnering Roberts) and I think more as I'm certain I've seen him come on to partner Davies and line up outside him.

My impression is that Williams would prosper more in the outside centre channel as he has better footwork and is more likely to exploit the hint of a chance of an outside break.

Both starts were to accommodate Roberts (against Namiba and then Australia). I think he is good at both 12 and 13. After the Six Nations it's clear JD2 is the best 13. They may both still interchange though during the series.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:24 pm

It isn't arrogance though, you are the grand slam winners, and Scotland just beat Australia. You should feel very confident. Australia aren't that much stronger for this game either. I would rather you guys shown confidence than tried to make it out you are the underdogs. Like I said, this tour is yours to lose. IMO Australia won't cope with the physicality of your backs.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

niwatts wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Not disputing your stats as they seem likely - but Scott Williams and Davies regularly swop between 12 and 13 for the Scarlets depending on whats going on during the game - so I'm pretty comfortable with Williams at 12 for Wales - and you never know they might well adopt the same practice against Australia

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:28 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:There are a few changes but the only one that is going to make a difference IMO is Ashley Cooper. I don't think the front row is going to make a difference for the aussies one bit, and their centre partnership is pretty one dimensional atm. I don't rate McCabe that much. Or Horne.

hahaha, the second choice Aus front row is awful - their first choice can hold their own against the South Africans.

Adam Jones would have demolished their second choice, he will find it a lot more difficult against Robinson and Kepu.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

I don't think Jones will struggle at all. Australia are better in the scrum nowadays, to the point they can hold their own. Jones is a world class tighthead. Like I said, I don't see what the difference will be in this game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't think Jones will struggle at all. Australia are better in the scrum nowadays, to the point they can hold their own. Jones is a world class tighthead. Like I said, I don't see what the difference will be in this game.

Jones will struggle to dominate them,

If it was the second choice prop pairing that faced Scotland then it would mean a lot of penalties for Wales on their run in, and possibly a few against he head. The Aus second choice props cannot hold their own.

Putting in their first choice props will have a huge impact on the game
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:39 pm

I don't think they will have an impact though, because I don't think they will hold their own against the welsh front row. If it was Ireland playing them then yes, it would make a difference. But the welsh front row will be too strong for them.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't think they will have an impact though, because I don't think they will hold their own against the welsh front row. If it was Ireland playing them then yes, it would make a difference. But the welsh front row will be too strong for them.

Im confused.

Australia's first choice props are Robinson and Kepu, they are playing on Saturday. They are the props that played in the 3N last year and held their own against Woodcock, Franks, Du Plessis and the beast.

Australia's second choice props are Slipper and Palmer, who couldn't hold their own against Euan Murray who hasn't dominated any scrum for about 2 years

If Australia had kept the 2nd choice props, Adam Jones (one of the finest THPs in world rugby) would have had a field day, as he (and the welsh pack) is a better scrummager than Murray. The result would have been multiple penalties to Wales with the resultant point and field position.

However, Australia are playing their first choice prop, they will not be bullied at the scrum to the same extent their replacements were. Hopefully Adam can still force some penalties but they will not be in full retreat and will be able to avoid conceding on Wales' put in and prevent turnovers on their own - thus denying Wales points, field position and possession.

If you think massively reducing Australia's penalty and turnover count at scrums won't make a difference on the game, then I think you are mistaken.

Robinson and Kepu will be far more important than the return of AAC at FB.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

I don't think it is massively reducing the penalty count at the scrums though. I don't think they will fare much better is all I am saying.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm

Some nice Wales Scrum dominance over the ozzies on video... ignore the first bit, but there are then a number of scrums with adam, smiler and geth destroying the bazzers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIDhvuXhec&feature=related

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

Really getting the butterflies for this game. This week has gone too slow. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but when I wake up on match days, particularly these early morning games where I know when I wake up its just minutes away from kick-off, you just can't beat that buzz and adrenalin can you.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:28 am

martyr_94 wrote:Really getting the butterflies for this game. This week has gone too slow. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but when I wake up on match days, particularly these early morning games where I know when I wake up its just minutes away from kick-off, you just can't beat that buzz and adrenalin can you.

Yep...this week has dragged. First proper international since the 6N, and a fair amount riding on the result. Nervous already, im going to be nervous all through the AB vs Ireland game and then probably be most excited/nervous when sky start talking about the game and i'll sit in silence waiting for kick-off...then i'll start screaming at the screen ever few seconds.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:30 am

Everyone seems to be down talking Australia... Let's look at Wales....

15 1/2p - still the weakest defensively of all the team and doesn't run full back angles
14 cuthbert - not at his best for the blues
12/13 Davies - hasn't played for months, Scott Williams 3rd choice
10 priestland - has had a bit of a shocker for the last few months
9 Phillips - a star
8/6 - not regarded as the best -
7 hasn't played for months
5 /4 played few games
3 -a star
2 - ok
1- another star

So where's all this confidence come from?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:36 am

slartibartfast wrote:Everyone seems to be down talking Australia... Let's look at Wales....

15 1/2p - still the weakest defensively of all the team and doesn't run full back angles
9 Phillips - a star
5 /4 played few games
3 -a star
2 - ok
1- another star

I read that line and actually laughed out loud.

Halfpenny! Defensively weak! laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

As I have said for the last few years, Halfpenny is the best defensive back 3 player in Wales and probably the best defensive winger I have ever seen in Wales (and probably the best defensive FB too).

People see that he is small and think he is defensively weak, its hilarious. Trust me, Halfpenny is a lot less defensively weak than Byrne or Hook ever have been.

Scott Williams is second choice 12. (3rd choice centre, but you have 2 centres anyway)

Faletau and Lydiate are not the best? The player of the 6Ns and the only competent 8 in Wales (Ryan Jones is a 6)

Bradley Davies played all the Blues end of season games, many as captain. Charteris played a few for the Dragons, although hasn't played for a while I guess.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:04 am

slartibartfast wrote:Everyone seems to be down talking Australia... Let's look at Wales....

9 Phillips - a star
5 /4 played few games
3 -a star
2 - ok
1- another star

The confidence comes from the state of the OZ team's preparation. They have to play 2 tests in the space of 4 days (many scribes in the NH press have described this as "suicidal"). Several players being asked to play 3 times in 7 days when you take into account Super rugby. There is not a lot of difference between the top teams in world rugby; so the difference comes down to preparation. This OZ combination has had the benefit of one training run before the test - this occurred yesterday. Compare that with Wales - how many training sessions would they have had since the end of the 6N? they have been planning and preparing for months.

In addition, the side selected is quite poor, and is no where near the top team. Yes, all sides have their injuries, but when all those injured rank among the top players - Cooper, O'Connor, Beale, Mitchell and the captain, Horwill, the impact is significant - they are the best players in the side.

If you look at Super Rugby form, the Waratahs have been disgraceful this year with 4 wins; 9 losses. Yet, Deans has selected 8 Waratahs in the run on side. If you watch Super Rugby, you will note that not one of those 8 players is in form; if you considered form not one of them deserves to be there on Saturday in a gold jersey. Each one of them has been decidedly average. Deans has been forced into that position by scheduling.

That is why there is plenty for Wales to be confident about and I expect them to win and win well (unfortunately).

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next