The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi

5 posters

Go down

Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi Empty Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi

Post by beshocked Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18354014

Lorenzo Romano from Aironi, only 23. Any good?

Can any Pro12 fans tell me anything about this guy?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi Empty Re: Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

I suspect it will be hard to judge his ability whilst at Arioni as the team lacked structure and were getting humped every week. Italian tighthead with a bit of HEC experience at only 23 shouldn't be a bad signing though. Squad cover with the potential to develop into more, could be a tidy signing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi Empty Re: Lorenzo Romano - new tight head signing for Sarries from Aironi

Post by beshocked Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Don't forget he's Italian too Sam. Hopefully he should be able to scrummage!

Hopefully Carlos can be his mentor in his last season at the club.

Also noticed he got picked for the Italian squad - though I suppose every man and his dog at Aironi and Treviso is!

Should be pretty cheap as tight heads go too.

Doesn't look very big or chunky though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

Dan Cole is a couple of stone lighter than the usual tightheads (e.g. Adam Jones, Castro etc) doesn't stop him from being a good operator. If he can get his technique right he should be a good player. Picking up an international cap at 23 for a country like Italy who have a few props to choose from is a good sign.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

He's 18st, roughly the same as Cole. Still heavier than Nicolas Mas, so weight doesn't necessarily make a good prop.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,15999_7800368,00.html

New backrower for Sarries as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Sam quite clear the new backrower has been signed because of the many injuries. I believe Burger and Melck won't be around till about November/December.

Not sure about Saull and Brown who were both injured too.

Personally I would be on the look out for a 13 but nothing so far.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

Seems wise to bring in some backrow cover given the long term injuries in that department, slide him under the cap with the injury allowance in the salary cap.

I'm not sure you're going to see the 13 you're desperate to acquire Beshocked. The salary cap is only so big and Sarries have an impressive squad already, I'm not sure how many OCs that would add something to Sarries are also available. I think you might have to make do with what you've got, the big money acquisition of Tomkins seems to be the long term option and he has had time to bed in so pre season will see expectation on his shoulders.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

True Sam but relying on a rugby league convert as the solution at 13 is a very high risk gamble. The whole Farrell scenario hardly helps either.

Salary cap? What's that?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

The thing Sarries and several other AP clubs pay accountants and lawyers to find loop holes in so they can maximise their squad strength. thumbsup

Sarries do have other options becides Tomkins, Ratavou has never let you down and prior to his injury Powell was being talked about as a possible England international. I can see that they aren't ideal though, a Manu or a Rougerie to give the backline an attacking focal point and a guarenteed line breaker would make things a lot easier on the 10.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,15999_7800368,00.html

New backrower for Sarries as well.

I think it is so unfair that Saracens get abuse for signing SA players

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The thing Sarries and several other AP clubs pay accountants and lawyers to find loop holes in so they can maximise their squad strength. thumbsup

Sarries do have other options becides Tomkins, Ratavou has never let you down and prior to his injury Powell was being talked about as a possible England international. I can see that they aren't ideal though, a Manu or a Rougerie to give the backline an attacking focal point and a guarenteed line breaker would make things a lot easier on the 10.

Does anyone know what the update on Powell is? As you say he was looking like a decent player prior to injury.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

He was available last season but it seemed he was somewhat out of favour. On the bench for the AP Semi Final but didn't come on until late in the game. He covered 12 during the 6N period as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

Fair enough, I'd seen so little of him I had presumed he was still injured. Mind you, Sarries do have a good set of backs to be fair, so maybe its hard to break back in. I'd play Wyles every week, I think he's a great player.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

Sarries do have a great set of backs and I think Kevin Sorrell will use them more wisely than Farrell did. Sorrell managed to get a much depleted midfield to work well during the 6N and offer a semblance of attacking threat ball in hand. If Sarries can get their prize forwards fit and in form then they will become a very good team, if they can get their backline firing on top of that then they could very well challenge for the HEC title next season.

Sarries backline options:

9.de Kock/Wigglesworth/Spencer
10.Hodgson/Farrell/Mordt
11.Ashton/Short
12.Barritt/Powell
13.Tomkins/Ratavou
14.Strettle/M Tacki.../Taylor
15.Goode/Wyles/Ransom

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

That is a very good set of backs, really good strength in depth. I think for Sarries to push on in the HEC they ought to settle on a more traditional midfield, rather than the Hodgson/Barritt/Farrell mix, which I dont think works at the higher level.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down