The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer Fans - what do you want?

+2
sirfredperry
barrystar
6 posters

Go down

Federer Fans - what do you want? Empty Federer Fans - what do you want?

Post by barrystar Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

Squeeky bum time, but is it?

Nadal looks v. strong favourite to beat Ferrer and then deal with whoever his opponent is in the final.

I think Djoko will beat Fed, but the thing about Fed is that you can never stifle the hope until he's well dead and buried.

As a Fed fan, primarily I want to see him do as well as possible. I'd love him to beat Djoko, but I would hate another RG final defeat at the hands of his nemesis (although I think the risk of a 2008-style gubbing is pretty low given their recent matches).

Would I prefer seeing Nadal face an opponent (Djoko) who has a better chance of beating him and safeguarding that Slam Record? It's a thought.

However, my answer is "No" on every basis. I want to see Fed win today - making a final and losing is better than losing in an SF, and there's always the agony of hope that he generates. If a Nadal win on Sunday against Fed is the stepping stone to getting another 7 slams and overhauling Fed, so be it. I'm a fan of Fed's, it does not matter to me whether he is or becomes the GOAT, he is who he is and he has entertained me greatly. The 'moment' of his being a top player is drawing to the close, and enjoying that whilst it lasts is what counts in my view - the point at which he can't really stop Nadal doing what he's going to do (or not) is fast arising, I want to see what Fed can do whilst he still has a racquet in his hand. There is the small matter of a win adding to his chances of being No. 1 which I'd like to see, but the 'moment' of seeing him play and win matches is what counts for me.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Federer Fans - what do you want? Empty Re: Federer Fans - what do you want?

Post by sirfredperry Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Quite right. I'm sure Fed would rather lose in the final than the semi. Besides, last year he gave arguably his best perfirmance in a Fedal RG final. There's also the matter of the points swing. OK, Fed may not ever get back to number one, but you could have a scenario in only a few weeks time when Rafa is one, Fed two and Nole three, especially as Rog has the least number of points to defend at Wimbledon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

I still want Fed to win as I want him to do as well as possible and that he hasn't given up against Nadal is admirable, I also believe if the Fed of WTF last year shows up then he can win the finals. If Djokovic does win then it won't be to bad though providing he does go on to beat Nadal in the finals.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

No brainer - support Fed everytime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

I would also say that wanting Djoko to win and win the whole thing would also mean Djoko has achieved something Fed never did, by holding all slams at once. Given that no one knows how Djokos career will end, if you are into Fed being considered one of the greatest i would doubt you would want to see Djoko win the FO this year, nor Nadal as either one will add a record to their name is they take the title.

I would have thought supporting a particular player rather than just being a general tennis fan would mean you always want them to win any match they play.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

The thought crossed my mind but even if Djokovic was to be considered greater than Fed one day then so be it. I vastly prefer his game to Nadal's anyway. That said, I still want Fed to win as always, the same as I did last year.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

Yes Tom, I bet Federer has extra motivation playing Novak today - he'll want to stop Novak creating a record he doesnt actually hold. Plus the win takes him nearer #1. And of course there is that last slam meeting to avenge...USO SF! SHould be fascinating...I'm actually looking forward to seeing that one more than the Nadal/Ferrer one. Hopefully today too...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

If Fed loses I'll want Djoko to win the final - regardless of records I prefer him to Nadal.

Goodness if Djoko does that it would be some achievement. He'd have to have beaten Nadal in 4 slam finals (assuming Ferrer is beaten), Fed in 2 slam semis, and Murray in another semi - quite apart from the other 21 matches on the bounce including having saved a few MP's along the way.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

B'star. Good points. This has been the remarkable thing about Djoko's recent GS run. He's had to beat the top guys to win. Fed at his peak had somewhat easier final match-ups such as Baggy, Gonzo and the then far-less-experienced Andy and Nole.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

SFP, Djoko has had to beat top guys to win, that's true, and Nadal has had to beat Fed on the way to a great chunk of his slam wins too (although he's had the odd real patsy route to a win).

Even so, don't forget that Fed has had to win 2 Wimbledon Finals, against Rafa, a handful against Roddick when he was still pretty decent as well as the USO (I think Roddick's unfairly treated on here), one against Safin and then Hewitt was not a total mug when he got dismantled in the US Open final. Fed has also won a couple of USO finals against the Stupid Saturday scheduling when there was not an extra day's rest.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm

Always a Fed win.

And barry, he's he best player ever seen so far; today's result is a detail, nothing else.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down