The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing

+5
Sir. badgerhands
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
DoubleD22
azania
davidemore
9 posters

Go down

Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing  Empty Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

Something’s going to happen.

Out there, where stars are born amongst the bloodshed, where souls are built and destroyed in equal measure, a new king of the sport is ready to take the limelight. It’s not going to be Timothy Bradley. He’s been built up too well, and placed into the sphere of elite, but not special, boxers. He works for Arum now and Arum doesn’t push stars into the light, he develops, extorts and profits from them first.

But this isn’t a thread about Bob Arum.

The moment that we want is coming if we give it time.

Someone is going to step out of the shadows and steal the light by winning a fight seen as completely un-winnable. It will happen years before their suspected prime. The world of boxing will be blown away. It could have been Lara, but America decided they didn’t want Lara to be the sports new face. It could have been Martinez for the same reason. But they didn’t want him either. So we wait for a promotional error, a gift unseen as a gift, an unknown threat with a respected but not explosive record to be offered a fight that circumstances, not belief, dictated.

Mayweather and Pacquiao have one year left, and when that year is through, when their ages finally dictate their futures; when the ghosts of the fighters that they dismissed with relative ease have taken their places below them, we will have a new star explode before our very eyes. We won’t see them coming. Like walking into the unseen power shot that always delivers a knockout, it will take a glorious boxing error for them to get their shot, but when they do, they’ll take it. And then some.

Who will this star be?

I haven’t seen their face yet, but when a fighter pulls out unexpectedly, and too much money has been spent promoting a big fight on the verge of falling through, one of the major players in the sport will throw a ranked unknown a chance, and I believe one day, that ranked unknown will provide us with something great, and continue to do so for years to come. Boxing is so controlled that if talent is seen then talent is nurtured… and then extorted, before any sort of risky fight is taken. The examples are too numerous to list, the list of the men responsible for this too few to call boxing a fair sport.

But in time things will change.

I believe in the next twelve months someone will take the scalp of an elite fighter, and when they do, continue to do so. It could be one of the Klitschko’s who are exposed; there are men in waiting for them.

I don’t know who the future is, but I know that I have seen this faceless man, and I believe that when that face of boxing is born it will be more than unexpected.

Yours,

Davidemore

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing  Empty Re: Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

Khan

azania

Back to top Go down

Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing  Empty Re: Visions of Expectance Whilst Drinking Beer and Thinking of Boxing

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

Better get down the gym it could be me!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

Double it could be. Do you feel there is a boxer under the radar that could explode?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

Alvarez, especially if he gets a fight with mayweather and/or cotto in 2013, they could be ripe for the taking

Mares has a great chance too IMO but won't get as much exposure untill he gets to featherweight

I really like Gamboa and Golovkin but i feel that it might be a bit late, there both 30 I think and aren't exactly moving along quickly

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

Not to sure for me its either Carl Frampton or myself that are going to make the headlines in the future! I just hope your right Davidemore boxing could do with a fighter exploding and turning the world of boxing on its head!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

It really could double, I'm racking my mind for the next fighter that can rise and be known as the truth. If Frank Warren had guts he'd but Saunders into deep water the moment the chance arose. If he did, stateside explosion, I honestly believe in three or four fights time he could dust most middleweights. And it is a rich division.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

There's a young boxer called Randall Smith. Made his pro debut last weekend. Watch out for him. A wonderful mover and a great punch variety. Oozes class in every department. Shame he's hidden away on box nation though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Why when reading your articles do I always picture you as a curly haired Victorian Pre-Raphaelite poet sipping laudanum and typing away by candlelight!!!

Not sure if that says more about you or me.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

Sir Badger, you may not be far off! Lol.

Azania,a great heads up, I will look out for this chap.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

There are echoes of prime Oscar Wilde in your contributions, Davide.....

More of a Marquis of Queensbury Man myself though!! drumroll

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

Thank you TRUSS, and respect to your tastes, sir.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Gary "Highlander" Cornish.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

I'm not so sure I agree Davide, shocks will surely happen, as they always have through the history of the sport but think the mass media, internet global communication age with youtube etc has made it virtually impossible for anyone to slip under the radar, look at a guy like Wilder, has acheived the square root of sod all yet but there is probably not a guy on here who has either not seen him or heard of him, where he to turn Wlad over tomorrow whilst it would be a shock we could hardly say where did he come from or where has he been hiding? Which is a pity in many ways because such an event would be a heck of a shot in the arm for the sport

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

Why when reading your articles do I always picture you as a curly haired Victorian Pre-Raphaelite poet sipping laudanum and typing away by candlelight!!!

Not sure if that says more about you or me.

Sir Badger, you may not be far off! Lol.

So close, badger. Its actually methylated spirits he's drinking.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

Excellent point Rowley, for the casual fan though it be great. The sport needs to turn a few of the casuals into actual fans. The forum here is too primed with cultured, insightful posters, no way would one of the forum not notice, but it be great to get the more passive fan committed, and this could be achieved, i think.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

The key is that very few modern day "big name" champions enter into the ring with anyone unless there's a good economic reason to do so. That means that their opponent has to have had some kind of exposure in order to generate interest in the fight and are not going to be coming from "nowhere".

The best you can hope for is that a relatively localised fighter becomes a global name e.g. Brook is far from unknown in the UK but he could explode onto the world scene with a couple of victories.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

Good points Superfeather, but i was looking at the two recent fights that got made due to drug failures. I know that Khan and Ortiz aren't the kings of the sport, but the two guys facing them, outside of the boxing community, are fairly unknown. Now they have prime slots to perform and shock, and at relatively short notice, which helps with impact should they win.

Okay, i admit, it is a watered down version of what i am getting at, but i truly believe that at some point a fighter unknown to some of the boxing community, and most of the sporting world, can arrive in devastating fashion.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

Superflyweight not 'feather' apologies.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down