The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apology and Moral Victories, my mistake

+20
gregortree
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
hugehandoff
Pal Joey
wales606
Notch
Gibson
rodders
MrsP
nobbled
logie28
B91212
ChequeredJersey
nganboy
Biltong
LondonTiger
fa0019
Cymroglan
welliamwibb
doctor_grey
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Apology and Moral Victories, my mistake - Page 2 Empty Apology and Moral Victories, my mistake

Post by doctor_grey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Good morning, my friends.
Yesterday, in the moral victory thread, I wrote something which may have shut down any meaningful discusson. It was getting late, and I was rather verbose and high handed. What I wrote was inappropriate, and I apologise if anyone felt this was sanctimonious or insulting to good debate surrounding what was truly a great day of Rugby:

I owe an apology to all, and I sincerely regret what I wrote (below). The expression moral victory is commonly used in sport referring to teams who play bravely but come up a bit short. For reasons I still can't identify, I inappropriately connected it to very real life situations which I went through with a number of people far better than I. Some of whom never came back, some suffered serious injuries, and others still have to deal with the recurring memories which hamper them to this day.

Despite being separated from it for many years, I still get recalled from time to time in my medical capacity to support people bravely doing what most people consider the unthinkable in awful conditions. There are times when the idea of closing my eyes when going to sleep can be scary. Though as true Brits, we also know we must brass it out because there is really nothing else to do.

There are a variety of methods which are recommended to accommodate, and we know what it is called, and there is no way to forget. Ever, But it is/was what I do and I deal, because there is no choice. All medications I have always staunchly refused, except occasionally those which are measured two fingers at a time or those which come in a pint glass. But, I found the best way to deal is to spend time with my family. Then to focus on the work (trying to mend people is a good thing). Finally, is the idiotic sport of Rugby. No sane person would ever play Rugby. Which makes all of us just a bit crazy, and I say that with the utmost affection. Playing with a club is a sense of fraternity, camaraderie, and connection which is rare and startlingly unique. Knowing someone is always is behind me in support is the greatest feeling having been in situations where it might not have been so. Maybe this is my way of dealing. But as a 12 1/2 stone centre who is still playing despite increasing age and more injuries than I can count leaves me feeling great.

I mentioned my family. Some of you know my greatest thrill is watching my lads, 13 and 15, grow into fine men. I also have daughters who are smart, incisive, caring, strong, and lovely beyond the ability of my bloodlines. Without them I can do nothing.

So, again, my apology. it was not my intention to shut down debate about 'moral victories'. I know it was really meant about being close and what can be taken from it. I overreacted, wrote something about myself which I never done before, and that was wrong.

But somewhere in the back of my aged and Rugby addled mind, I have to feel I could have knocked Willem Alberts back a few steps. Maybe in my better dreams..........

doctor_grey wrote:"Moral Victory" is simply a term and rationale associated with losing:

When I was in Iraq, after losing a bunch of lads in a running fight, an officer told me this was a moral victory. After this fight, I spent more than 24 hours straight trying to save or fix up a bunch of fine men in a field with shells all around, and still fighting to simply survive. In response to that inane comment, my fist accidentally splattered his nose and then the other broke his cheekbone. He was sent home with injuries sustained 'in battle'. We stayed. However, at that specific point in time I believe he gained the utter clarity that moral victories do not exist and the term is not worth the air expended is using the term. That frames my feeling about the term. Sorry for going off.

England played well. But not enough. Close, no cigar. But enough to learn from and do better the next time. Which I fully expect. The Boks learned less about England than England did about the Boks.

Wales played well and almost nosed in front. Unfortunately they were undone by a more clinical outfit. Wales could have won, but came up short. They have a real good shot next week. I don't think they are patient enough at this point in their development to have withstood the Boks. But maybe soon.

I feel for Ireland. The score line could have been worse, and their try was against the run of play. Sadly, the worst of the NH teams playing today. In dire need or a real overhaul. Don't think they were man-for-man better at any position, except for Sean O'Brien, who was clearly one of the best players on the pitch, maybe one of the best playing today.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Apology and Moral Victories, my mistake - Page 2 Empty Re: Apology and Moral Victories, my mistake

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

Doctor Gray, I have nothign really to add on the fronts of victories moral or otheriwse.

I take my cap off to you on your honesty and for posting this up in the first place.

This country and all those in it owe you and all of our sercvicemen and women, past present and future a great deal of gratitude.

Hug
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2