The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What next for Floyd

+12
DaveVDK
OasisBFC
Steffan
Herman Jaeger
eddyfightfan
Sunnydapasingh1984
Seanusarrilius
Rodney
zx1234
manos de piedra
88Chris05
azania
16 posters

Go down

What next for Floyd Empty What next for Floyd

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

After he's finished picking up soap and with the mega-fight up in smoke, where does he go? Who out there presents a viable challenge? Or even an interesting fight? I can't see him remaining at SWW although a meeting with Lara will be interesting.

azania

Back to top Go down

What next for Floyd Empty Re: What next for Floyd

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:35 pm

I really have no idea when it comes to Mayweather these days!

I think a rematch between Bradley and Pacquiao is a done deal for all intents and purposes, and I have little doubt that he'll face the winner (or at least look to face the winner) in early 2013. I also have little doubt that he'll want to fight before then, too - and that's where I get confused.

Lara? Too much risk of looking average (even if he won, which I'm sure he would) and not a huge money spinner. Alvarez? Even GBP have more or less said that they won't be putting him in with anyone of Floyd's quality for a while yet. Brook? That's a non-starter, of course. Khan? He has Garcia to take care of first, and I'm sure he'll want another crack at Peterson whatever the weather turns out to be in relation to that first fight.

There's a Cotto rematch, I guess, but I'm not sure what the point would be, aside from a good (but still reduced from their first fight) pay day.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:39 pm

He most likely will just wait until somebody scores the kind of win that makes them an attractive option. Khan if he looks good against Garcia could really put himself in with a shout.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

looks like martinez, pacquiao and bradley are tied up for november/december and alvarez next fight is september so he might not be available for a 2012 fight,

i reckon khan or malignaggi/alexander at end of the year and big fight next year and he might be done after that

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

zx1234 wrote:looks like martinez, pacquiao and bradley are tied up for november/december and alvarez next fight is september so he might not be available for a 2012 fight,

i reckon khan or malignaggi/alexander at end of the year and big fight next year and he might be done after that

I cant see him fighting Martizez. Too big.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

Does anyone really care anymore ? He's dilly dallied about a fight with Pacquaio for 3 years now, he claims to be the best ever yet didn't want to sacrifice the ultimate challenge, he'll want Manny now but the result won't have the same relevance anymore,

Really wouldn't be bothered if he retired for good this time.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I really have no idea when it comes to Mayweather these days!

I think a rematch between Bradley and Pacquiao is a done deal for all intents and purposes, and I have little doubt that he'll face the winner (or at least look to face the winner) in early 2013. I also have little doubt that he'll want to fight before then, too - and that's where I get confused.

Lara? Too much risk of looking average (even if he won, which I'm sure he would) and not a huge money spinner. Alvarez? Even GBP have more or less said that they won't be putting him in with anyone of Floyd's quality for a while yet. Brook? That's a non-starter, of course. Khan? He has Garcia to take care of first, and I'm sure he'll want another crack at Peterson whatever the weather turns out to be in relation to that first fight.

There's a Cotto rematch, I guess, but I'm not sure what the point would be, aside from a good (but still reduced from their first fight) pay day.

It will be interesting so see who he fights next. I reckon he'll be active in November.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

I think he will fight again, Rodders, but I agree with you regarding the relevance (or lack of it, now) of a fight with Pacquiao. I said as much on another thread this afternoon. Even if Mayweather dominates Pacquiao in any fight they may have, he won't get anywhere near as much respect and acclaim from me as he could have done had he just got on with it two or three years ago.

I actually think it's disappointing to that end, as someone of Mayweather's incredible talent really shouldn't have such question marks hanging over him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 10 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

Floyd has limited options really. No Pac fight now and I wouldn't be that interested in it anyway as Floyd would batter him.

Maybe Ortiz II as an easy grudge match sell?
Martinez at 154 would be awsome but never happen.
There is nobody really.

Alvarez at 154 would be great, but huge risk for Floyd at the weight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Ortiz II? What grudge?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnydapasingh1984 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:19 pm

Mayweather VS Khan at sold out Wembly

Undercard

Kel brook VS Madina

David Price VS Tyson Fury

Eubank Jnr VS Eubank SNR

Now that's worth the £14.99 pay per view!!

Sunnydapasingh1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:21 pm

haha, sunny, that would be amazing.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 10 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

azania wrote:Ortiz II? What grudge?

Easy sell

Ortiz " I was coming on, it was my time and he suckered me "

Floyd " It's protect yourself at al times you little Bille Butt Goat"

Throw in a you don't know sh** about...

And the general armchair fan comes flooding in. Remember, the average non-boxing purist prob thinks Ortiz was coming on in that fight. I hear it all the time from people who arn't that knowledgable but like the big fights.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

mayweather must be gutted. he will now been know in years to come as the guy who wouldnt fight pacquioa (and visa versa) instead of p4p great of our time.

hopefully a lesson to all boxers, ward and dawson set the standard now

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

Who cares!

Starts a slur campaign against Pacman when the world was ready; there was a brief window when the fight had the power to be a world stopping moment, and that's why I'll never be a fan. petrified Pacman would take away his lifestyle. Killed one of the best fights of the century.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

i hear that herman

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Who cares!

Starts a slur campaign against Pacman when the world was ready; there was a brief window when the fight had the power to be a world stopping moment, and that's why I'll never be a fan. petrified Pacman would take away his lifestyle. Killed one of the best fights of the century.

He should have agreed with the tests. And seeing what Peterson and Berto have been up to, Floyd was 100% correct to insist on it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

Floyd gonna go work for McDonalds I heard while reporting to probation once a week

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

what next?
he's trying to keep hold of the soap.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

I think Khans a genuine possibility if he beats Garcia convincingly (which i believe he will). Cant see Khan winning though, but recon he could make it a competitive fight with the right game plan.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

DaveVDK wrote:I think Khans a genuine possibility if he beats Garcia convincingly (which i believe he will). Cant see Khan winning though, but recon he could make it a competitive fight with the right game plan.

i've said it before dave, but i like repeating myself. Of all the fighters out there, khan has the physical attributes to give mayweather trouble. Fast hands, decent jab when he remembers to throw it, good work rate. Unfortunately, he has no defence to speak of and is half a wit short of being a half wit, so there's two hopes of him sticking to a game plan, even if they had the right one. Therein lies the rub i believe, but I do believe he would be competitive, while it lasted.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:20 pm

[quote="milkyboy"]
DaveVDK wrote: Unfortunately, he has no defence to speak of and is half a wit short of being a half wit, so there's two hopes of him sticking to a game plan, even if they had the right one. Therein lies the rub i believe, but I do believe he would be competitive, while it lasted.

Therein lies the problem Milky, Khan has assets that can trouble Floyd as anyone could be troubled by his speed but what happens when Floyd works him out and makes the adjustments, and you can be sure after three or four rounds he would do just that, am yet to see anything from Khan to suggest that he has a plan B. We saw how Petersen gave him fits merely by pressure and keeping close, have to think Floyd is going to give him something a little more puzzling than this to work out. Floyd stops Khan any time after half way

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm

my view of how it would pan out exactly rowley, khan has the tools in the box, but the hamper is missing a vital sandwich or two... metaphorically mixing.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

under 154 no one can beat Mayweather.

I'd like to see him fight kirkland.

Big Aggressive Puncher vs Guru
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

I think and hope he fights khan at the end of the year, followed by manny early to mid next year.
With regards to the schedules of both khan and manny the timing will be just perfect also.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down